Home Insurance Premiums Skyrocketed by 28% in 2023: Here's How You Can Fight Back

In 2023, Australian homeowners were hit with a staggering 28% increase in home insurance premiums, the largest average rise in two decades. According to the Actuaries Institute, the median home insurance premium surged by over $400, reaching an all-time high of $1,894. This has left nearly one in eight Australian households, or 1.24 million, "affordability stressed", spending more than four weeks of their annual income on home insurance.

For those living in high-risk properties, including flood-prone areas, the situation is even more dire, with premiums rising by a whopping 50%. This has led to concerns that many households may abandon insurance altogether due to the prohibitive costs.

Property premium increases & claims inflation (non-perils).jpg
Home insurance premium increases have FAR outstripped inflation over the last 12 months

But there's good news. You don't have to be a victim of these skyrocketing costs. Compare the Market*, a leading comparison business, can help you look for a better deal* on home insurance.

Compare the Market* compares up to 7 different home insurance brands*, and can help you look for comprehensive coverage with potentially better prices. Their Executive General Manager of General Insurance,, Adrian Taylor, offers some valuable advice for homeowners looking to save on their insurance premiums.

"When comparing policies, make sure you're comparing the same sum insured, same excesses, and same optional cover," Taylor advises. "Play around with the excess amount to see if it lowers the cost of the insurance premium, but remember that any excess may be payable if you need to claim. You may be able to get a discount by bundling your home and contents insurance with your car insurer. However, it always pays to compare as you may save more by having different policies with different providers."

Mr Taylor also suggests considering a home security system, which can deter thieves and potentially lower your premium.

Don't wait for your renewal notice to arrive to see if you can save money on home and contents insurance*. With Compare the Market, you can take control of your insurance costs.

Don't let rising insurance premiums leave you unprotected. Compare, save, and secure your home with Compare the Market* today.

*Please note, members, this is a sponsored article. All content of ours that has an asterisk next to it means we may get a commission to write an article or post a deal. We simply do this to assist with the costs of running the SDC. Thank you!

Last edited:
Sponsored
I've learnt it does.
I was with Apia 4 years ago until their premium went up $200 amonth , that's when I switched to Australian seniors, now Apia is the cheaper one and basically the same price when I was originally with them. So work that out.

I'm thinking in a year ot two when I get my renewal then it will be high again.

I made my first claim ever which was last year for a broken water pipe in my bathroom and I had to wait 6 weeks for approval with Australian Seniors then another 4 months for job to be finished.

I had a friend who had a similar problem a couple of months ago and she got approval within 48 hours and job completed in 3 weeks. She was with GIO
It's all so weird, I had a storm damage claim thru Seniors, they were really prompt, the assessor even put in for about 12 metres of fence that hadn't come down. He said it probably fall down in another storm and better to do it all at once. Don't know if he should have done that, but I didn't complain,lol.
They were also very good several years ago with a claim I had on my travel insurance when I had my bag snatched.
Don't know if people are aware but they only cover $200 for cash stolen, no matter how much you lost. I guess people could just say any amount otherwise, that was the only complaint I had as I had over $1,000 in my bag. We had just arrived at our accommodation late at night and my bag was snatched as I was getting out of the cab. Hadn't had time to even put things in safety deposit box, which is the first thing I do. Lost passports, my glasses,.car keys etc. what a drama, completely ruined our holiday

Tried all these companies ,as someone said reply and they keep pestering you even after unsubscribing.Tried to check about my 23 yr old car in great condition no one interested ,would be better off saving up the payments as the amount they insure it for wouldn't cover even a scratch

Forget 'Compare The Meerkat'. The "7 different home insurance brands" is a Furphy; they're all under the same umbrella underwriter.
Look instead at Canstar.

In 2023, Australian homeowners were hit with a staggering 28% increase in home insurance premiums, the largest average rise in two decades. According to the Actuaries Institute, the median home insurance premium surged by over $400, reaching an all-time high of $1,894. This has left nearly one in eight Australian households, or 1.24 million, "affordability stressed", spending more than four weeks of their annual income on home insurance.

For those living in high-risk properties, including flood-prone areas, the situation is even more dire, with premiums rising by a whopping 50%. This has led to concerns that many households may abandon insurance altogether due to the prohibitive costs.

View attachment 36121
Home insurance premium increases have FAR outstripped inflation over the last 12 months

But there's good news. You don't have to be a victim of these skyrocketing costs. Compare the Market*, a leading comparison business, can help you look for a better deal* on home insurance.

Compare the Market* compares up to 7 different home insurance brands*, and can help you look for comprehensive coverage with potentially better prices. Their Executive General Manager of General Insurance,, Adrian Taylor, offers some valuable advice for homeowners looking to save on their insurance premiums.

"When comparing policies, make sure you're comparing the same sum insured, same excesses, and same optional cover," Taylor advises. "Play around with the excess amount to see if it lowers the cost of the insurance premium, but remember that any excess may be payable if you need to claim. You may be able to get a discount by bundling your home and contents insurance with your car insurer. However, it always pays to compare as you may save more by having different policies with different providers."

Mr Taylor also suggests considering a home security system, which can deter thieves and potentially lower your premium.

Don't wait for your renewal notice to arrive to see if you can save money on home and contents insurance*. With Compare the Market, you can take control of your insurance costs.

Don't let rising insurance premiums leave you unprotected. Compare, save, and secure your home with Compare the Market* today.

*Please note, members, this is a sponsored article. All content of ours that has an asterisk next to it means we may get a commission to write an article or post a deal. We simply do this to assist with the costs of running the SDC. Thank you!
Where did my comment disappear to again !!!!!!

View attachment 36121

View attachment 36121

I'm sick of my comments not posting after numerous attempts

View attachment 36121

*Please note, members, this is a sponsored article. All content of ours that has an asterisk next to it means we may get a commission to write an article or post a deal. We simply do this to
I've learnt it does.
I was with Apia 4 years ago until their premium went up $200 amonth , that's when I switched to Australian seniors, now Apia is the cheaper one and basically the same price when I was originally with them. So work that out.

I'm thinking in a year ot two when I get my renewal then it will be high again.

I made my first claim ever which was last year for a broken water pipe in my bathroom and I had to wait 6 weeks for approval with Australian Seniors then another 4 months for job to be finished.

I had a friend who had a similar problem a couple of months ago and she got approval within 48 hours and job completed in 3 weeks. She was with GIO
I am with GIO as it is the only one that will insure my 23 year old car be it a ridiculous price that wouldn't even cover a deep scratch
I

This is my 5th attempt to post a comment,too many ( Oops we've run into problems ) no way will I pay for membership too frustrating

View attachment 36121

Compare the Market and other similar services only cover a selection of insurers - far from all.
Of more concern to me is the grossly irrational and outdated attitude of many insurers to what is fast becoming the most popular house cladding- EPS (expanded polystyrene) It is replacing bricks and brick veneer because of the rapidly rising cost and lack of availability of bricks and bricklayers. It is affordable, strong, durable, highly fire resistant, and has excellent insulation value. It is far cheaper to repair or replace than bricks or other claddings if damaged, and it's far less likely to suffer damage than many other claddings. Yet insurers won't cover houses clad with it. Why?
It may be due to very outdated concerns about fire risks that existed with a styrene product used decades ago and long since banned. Insurers need to keep up! It is completely unacceptable that someone with an EPS-clad house has to pay 5 times the premium of someone with a brick veneers home, especially if the former is on a steel frame, making the house almost indestructible, while the brick is on a timber frame that will rot, is subject to flood damage, is a high termite risk, and burns readily.

It's all so weird, I had a storm damage claim thru Seniors, they were really prompt, the assessor even put in for about 12 metres of fence that hadn't come down. He said it probably fall down in another storm and better to do it all at once. Don't know if he should have done that, but I didn't complain,lol.
They were also very good several years ago with a claim I had on my travel insurance when I had my bag snatched.
Don't know if people are aware but they only cover $200 for cash stolen, no matter how much you lost. I guess people could just say any amount otherwise, that was the only complaint I had as I had over $1,000 in my bag. We had just arrived at our accommodation late at night and my bag was snatched as I was getting out of the cab. Hadn't had time to even put things in safety deposit box, which is the first thing I do. Lost passports, my glasses,.car keys etc. what a drama, completely ruined our holiday
Maybe they are better in WA. Just to get through to them waiting time was over an hour.
I put them on the same level as calling centrelink .
Unless they have gone down hill in the last year.

I wish mine had only gone up 28%.
Mine went up 50/% and there's no way I'm going to get flooded any time soon, I live in the Wheatbelt.
I do my comparing myself but after trying 6 other companies I gave up.
These compare companies do not compare ALL companies and as said are a pain in the rear end with their phone calls
Absolutely agree and the same reason I do my own checking.

They don’t accept home security, I have asked about this ,I have sensor lights cctv etc and makes no difference. Yet they want window locks ,triple door locks etc ,makes no sense. At least with CCTV you can see who is doing the robberies etc. go figure.
We were told the same thing. We have CCTV which can be connected to our phones. But unless you pay a fortune for a monitored company (who just rings you anyway if there’s an intruder) they don’t want to know. So it’s either pay for security or pay for the premium.

Ours went up 40%. Their excuse is we live in a high fire risk zone. Yet we live in the middle of a rural housing estate! They also told us how many square metres our house is. How on earth would they know that? Even from satellite they can only see the roof line which has a large verandah and patio!
They were wrong by the way!

Ours went up 40%. Their excuse is we live in a high fire risk zone. Yet we live in the middle of a rural housing estate! They also told us how many square metres our house is. How on earth would they know that? Even from satellite they can only see the roof line which has a large verandah and patio!
They were wrong by the way!
The OntheHouse website has all the details of your home, including the square metres of your home
Only problem is that they have no idea if you have done extensions so they are often incorrect.
Also when they put a sale valuation on your property they have no idea
of improvements, etc.
We sold a house 2 years ago they had valued at $279,000, which is what we'd paid for it. The house had been completely renovated and we had built a one bedroom granny flat.
We sold it for $570.000.
Some of these websites are a complete waste of space.

They estimated the size more than what it was, so renovations would have been irrelevant. We only bought the house one year earlier so the ‘sale valuation‘ is also irrelevant. There was simply no reason for anything to change in a 12 month period.