Status
Not open for further replies.

Health officials encourage vaccinations ahead of looming flu season

With the leaves changing colours and the air getting cooler, Australians are also seeing signs of a challenging flu season ahead.

Health officials in New South Wales are sounding the alarm, urging residents to take action and get vaccinated as influenza cases are on the rise, with predictions of a particularly severe season looming.

The latest respiratory surveillance report revealed that over 4,700 individuals were diagnosed with the flu in the past month alone—a 16 per cent increase from the same period last year.

Hospital admissions for influenza-like illnesses have surged, with 480 admissions recorded between January 6 and April 2024, nearly doubling the 284 admissions during the same timeframe in 2023.

Screenshot 2024-04-23 094001.png
NSW health officials urged residents to get vaccinated against influenza. Image source: Unsplash

Experts predicted that the upcoming flu season could rival or even surpass the severity of the previous year.

It's estimated that one in three Australians could fall prey to a cold or influenza, a statistic that underscores the importance of preventative measures.

Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant highlighted the alarming trend of more young children facing life-threatening complications from the flu, with an increase in admissions to intensive care units in 2023.

To avert a similar crisis in 2024, Dr Chant is calling on families to prioritise getting their flu shots before the season hits its peak.

‘It is a very quick and easy process to book in with your local doctor or pharmacist who can also administer your Covid-19 vaccine at the same time if recommended,’ he said.

'This simple act can help you and your family stay healthy this winter,' he added.

The call to action is especially urgent for those at higher risk of severe illness, including children aged six months to five years, individuals aged 65 and over, Aboriginal people from six months of age, pregnant women, and those with serious health conditions.

These groups are eligible for a free flu vaccine, available at local GP clinics or pharmacies.

Tip
For more information on the flu vaccine, visit the Department of Health website or call the National Immunisation Hotline at 1800 022 222.

In a concerted effort to bolster community health, NSW Health is also encouraging residents to consider receiving a COVID-19 booster alongside their flu vaccination.

NSW Premier Chris Minns warned that influenza is not only highly contagious but can be life-threatening, particularly for vulnerable populations.

‘Getting the flu jab is the best way to protect yourself and the wider community,’ he said.

Health Minister Ryan Park observed an uptick in virus activity across the country and is advocating for vaccination as a means of self-protection and community responsibility.

The impact of influenza was felt by at least 300,000 Australians in 2023, as the illness spread more freely in the post-COVID-19 pandemic environment.

The nation's cold and flu capitals have been identified, with Newcastle, Liverpool, and Blacktown in NSW topping the list.

The nation’s cold and flu capitals-.jpg

Other areas across Australia, including Southport in Queensland, Hillarys in Western Australia, and Warrnambool in Victoria, are also forecasted to experience high levels of cold and flu symptoms.

Source: 7NEWS Australia/YouTube​

Key Takeaways

• NSW residents are being urged to get vaccinated as cases of influenza spike, with over 4,700 people diagnosed in the past four weeks.
  • Health authorities are particularly concerned about vulnerable groups like young children, older adults, and those with serious health conditions.
  • NSW Health is encouraging residents to get a flu vaccine before the season peaks and to consider a Covid booster at the same time.
  • NSW experienced an increase in influenza hospital admissions, and the upcoming flu season could be as bad as or worse than the previous year. Health officials are urging vaccination as the best protection.
Feel free to share your insights and strategies for staying healthy during flu season in the comments section below. Have you received your flu shot? What steps are you taking to prepare for the colder months?

Last edited:
Sponsored
I have 3 children all got the whooping cough vaccine at required age ,2 never had whooping cough but 1 did . I thank God she had the vaccine as I don't know what would have happened if she hadn't. She was very ill for many months. Why are we not hearing of so many deaths in aged care as happened at the begining of Covid? Is it because they have all been vaccinated and unvaccinated can't visit.?
How have polio ,diphtheria, and measles been eradicated?
Polio has NOT been eradicated and is on this rise again.
TB is highly prevalent, especially in NT, thought to come in from Asia. Australia no longer quarantines visitors from overseas countries.

It is highly advised that when you turn 50, you get the combined DIPTHERIA and TETANUS booster shot.
Diphtheria has NOT been eradicated.

Measles is again in the rise through
Parents not getting their children vaccinated.

HIV AIDS, Gonorrhoea and VD (!) are already back in high numbers again, w NSW being highest prevalence of VD and AIDS.
It seems ppl have NOT learned anything from the horrendous AIDS epidemic not so long ago!
When was the last time anyone saw adverts for condoms?
How quickly they forget ☹️

To assume these diseases have been eradicated is uninformed and plain dangerously wrong.

And there we go......have a covid booster with the flu shot! What is it? 10th covid booster? Boosters that don't work? Flu shot that doesn't really stop you from getting the flu?
Shall we wait for the mandates to start again? I am disgusted that Chant is still being quoted. She doesn't know up from down.
And let's not forget the guilt trip....do it for your community. What a whole lot of crap.

• Angry
Reactions: siameezer
No, I will not be having a Flu vaccination I have only ever had 1 and I came down with the Flu shortly after (the only time I have ever had the Flu in y 76 years). If people have the Flu they should stay home and NOT spread it around. To prevent getting the virus I will be increasing my immune system capsules and continue to eat fresh fruit & vegies and keep away from processed food. Wishing everyone a healthy autumn & winter. Think before you act! Remember that the truth is now coming out about 2020 - 2023
I totally agree. I only had one flu injection years ago and caught the flu. Haven't had a flu injection since. Have been healthy since with only the rare cold. Eat healthy and take a few Naturopathic supplements suited to you.

Let's call another "pandemic" so everyone is forced to take more vaccinations, for the so called good of their health !!
Maybe there is a "new" vaccine that will work better than the covid-19 one,by killing and permanently injuring more people?
Totally agree.💯

The data base you talk of is useless, self reporting, anyone can report, no follow up, no checking if the event is true. There's people on there with broken legs due to the vaccine, absolute BS. All it means if on the list is you have been vaccinated AND you have had a health issue, it does not mean the vaccine caused the issue.

People have always died suddenly, it's not something new. My friend decades ago , when he was 22, died from a second heart attach in two weeks. Very fit person, never smoked, didn't drink or do drugs, was an avid cyclist, had a heart attack, out into hospital, two weeks later another heart attack and died. If that happened today it would be blamed on the vaccine no doubt.

AS I said elsewhere on here I have a couple of GP friends, good friends, one one with 50 years experience and two medical clinics with 20 odd doctors, very successful and are not seeing all these so called deaths from the vaccine or injuries. He deals with the local hospitals a lot too, no massive death numbers, it's all crap put out by antivaxes, often using the government site listing deaths/injuries that "Maybe" attributed to the vaccine.

Yes it's sad your friend died, but her parents saying they are convinced her death was directly related to the jabs is not very scientific is it.

I know a lot of people, they know other people, no one knows of any deaths, funny how some people know of heaps, while others know of none. Hence I go with doctors who see a lot of people, hear what's happening, know the true story as they are on the front line and they have not heard or seen all these deaths. Even funeral homes are not experiencing increased death numbers. Look at the death notices, people are dying and funerals are happening a few days later. If there were all these deaths there would be more delays
You won't convince these tin-foil hat wearers who have no knowledge of science and who think they are smarter than those who actually are educated. Amongst all the people I know who received the COVID jab, and there were many, I know of ONE case of myocarditis and even his doctors have said they cannot conclusively state it was due to the vaccine. Society has been dumbed down by sensationalist media and we are seeing the results in the ridiculous theories presented as truths.

cc3929a7a0f47238256317e1c2442d2af25cf8b8d692a6b956f7a0d3cdc0474c_1.jpg

Over 65, and never had a ‘Flu shot.
After the stage then stage 2 Covid shots, I only did 1 booster then caught Covid - not fun.
But now, I’ve been ill for 3 wks w Acute Bronchitis, which I’ve not had for years.
Thinking I’ll hv to go see a doctor about it, but as a pensioner, I hv to find $115 first to pay them.

Covid test pack all expired 31/1/24. New test packs are hard to find and V expensive.
I’m 65 and never paid to see my doctor he bulk bills 😊

Last edited:
Despite what the WHO which has now become a communist government controlling organisation says, increasingly evidence produced by those in the medical profession brave enough to speak out against the system, indicate vaccines with the exception of a handful are neither safe nor effective. Vaccines are a money making industry which benefit many except the very people they are supposed to protect.

• Haha
Reactions: siameezer
We live in a country area in NSW and our drs surgery has only just received their flu shots, so I’m assuming the same applies to the other dr surgeries and chemists in town. As there have been people already sick with the flu and going out and about spreading it Willy nilly it is a shame it took so long for the flu shots to be received. the dr surgery told us there is no indication they will get any more after they use what they have. We got our shots, hubby had little side affects, but I had an aching arm, shoulder and into my neck on the needle side. This year I also felt really tired and my ear blocked up like it does when I get a cold or flu. On the second day after the shot all my joints were aching. We had the pneumonia vax the same day so that may have helped trigger the side effects.

We live in a country area in NSW and our drs surgery has only just received their flu shots, so I’m assuming the same applies to the other dr surgeries and chemists in town. As there have been people already sick with the flu and going out and about spreading it Willy nilly it is a shame it took so long for the flu shots to be received. the dr surgery told us there is no indication they will get any more after they use what they have. We got our shots, hubby had little side affects, but I had an aching arm, shoulder and into my neck on the needle side. This year I also felt really tired and my ear blocked up like it does when I get a cold or flu. On the second day after the shot all my joints were aching. We had the pneumonia vax the same day so that may have helped trigger the side effects.
I had my flu shot about 6 months ago and it has made my chronic pain and osteoporosis worse. Also I ended up with shingles for 6 weeks felt like dying and now I’ve got neuralgia in my neck and face from the shingles and my chronic pain is unbearable. My doctor said it’s because of my immune systems so stuffed that the flu injections made me worse.this was my first flu injection in over 30 years never again.😩

Strewth, heck of a lot of strong opinions either way on here, not all, but a fair few.
Sounds like health is going the same way as politics and religion.

I mostly go on self events for believability, but it is tricky I admit, especially when viruses don't play by the rules. I think that's where the opposing beliefs come in because each person can react to the same virus in a different way. Immune system strength has probably got to do with that I think. So with different reactions come different sets of beliefs. I think it's that simple and yet that complex at the same time as to why there are such strong differences of opinions.

Been losing strength for past 7 years. Gave up full time 7 days a week work at 72 yrs.
Had all Covid shots, wore a good mask, had flu shots, have had one bout of a severe respiratory illness, and one bout of a slightly lesser severity in that time frame. Figured it was bad luck or hugging the grandkids too much, or mask fail, but mostly think I just caught a virus that vaccines didn't fully cover is what I've ended up believing.

Pretty sure losing body strength was happening pre-Covid. I was asking others if the unloading items were getting heavier. Answer from younger ones, no it's your imagination (just not in such polite terms). Ok, so I reckon it's an aging thing. Fair enough, so I don't really believe it's the vaccines making me lose strength. Based upon the logic of my own experience.

So who is right and who is wrong.

Don't bloody care after reading all the opposing responses!

I'll go along with my very good Doctor. He's the health professional I trust the most, because all advice from him to date, on a range of health matters, has been solid. And that's good enough for me.

The fluvax is free for Qld residents of any age this year.
You cannot get flu from the vaccine, it’s not a live vaccine. If you do it’s pure coincidence
No, but a good studies have shown that it leaves you vulnerable to every other upper respiratory virus going around. As a matter of fact if you go to the New South Wales flu tracker you will see you after year after year the difference in cases of flu in the vaccinated versus the unvaccinated varies by about 3%.

I'm in my 80tys phoned for a Drs appointment to get a flu vaccination, told I would have to wait a month, went to my chemist and was given it straight away. If your medical clinic is too busy to give you the jabb in a reasonable time. Go to your chemist ,if you are a senior, its free. jay2

No, I will not be having a Flu vaccination I have only ever had 1 and I came down with the Flu shortly after (the only time I have ever had the Flu in y 76 years). If people have the Flu they should stay home and NOT spread it around. To prevent getting the virus I will be increasing my immune system capsules and continue to eat fresh fruit & vegies and keep away from processed food. Wishing everyone a healthy autumn & winter. Think before you act! Remember that the truth is now coming out about 2020 - 2023
I on the other hand used to suffer massively from the flu year after year and then when I turned 65 my GP suggested a flu shot. I am now 72 and have not had the flu since, I cannot praise the vaccination system enough, By the way I am also a diabetic.

I was told by my very skilled GP that you should leave 2 weeks between any vaccinations so hat may have been your issue.

Reactions: Littleboy8
No, but a good studies have shown that it leaves you vulnerable to every other upper respiratory virus going around. As a matter of fact if you go to the New South Wales flu tracker you will see you after year after year the difference in cases of flu in the vaccinated versus the unvaccinated varies by about 3%.
Might be interesting to see the actual numbers as the percentage does not mean anything without them.

No one ever said that the Covid vaccine was 100% permanently effective. However, it probably helped you not to get permanent lung damage. As for antibiotics, perhaps we should abolish them because a very common prescription antibiotic nearly killed me a few months ago. That's life.
Rob, just a thought, my daughter got very ill after a course of antibiotics, she is allergic to Sulphur.
Many residents also were allergic to Sulphur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else
  • We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×