Status
Not open for further replies.

Health officials encourage vaccinations ahead of looming flu season

With the leaves changing colours and the air getting cooler, Australians are also seeing signs of a challenging flu season ahead.

Health officials in New South Wales are sounding the alarm, urging residents to take action and get vaccinated as influenza cases are on the rise, with predictions of a particularly severe season looming.

The latest respiratory surveillance report revealed that over 4,700 individuals were diagnosed with the flu in the past month alone—a 16 per cent increase from the same period last year.

Hospital admissions for influenza-like illnesses have surged, with 480 admissions recorded between January 6 and April 2024, nearly doubling the 284 admissions during the same timeframe in 2023.

Screenshot 2024-04-23 094001.png
NSW health officials urged residents to get vaccinated against influenza. Image source: Unsplash

Experts predicted that the upcoming flu season could rival or even surpass the severity of the previous year.

It's estimated that one in three Australians could fall prey to a cold or influenza, a statistic that underscores the importance of preventative measures.

Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant highlighted the alarming trend of more young children facing life-threatening complications from the flu, with an increase in admissions to intensive care units in 2023.

To avert a similar crisis in 2024, Dr Chant is calling on families to prioritise getting their flu shots before the season hits its peak.

‘It is a very quick and easy process to book in with your local doctor or pharmacist who can also administer your Covid-19 vaccine at the same time if recommended,’ he said.

'This simple act can help you and your family stay healthy this winter,' he added.

The call to action is especially urgent for those at higher risk of severe illness, including children aged six months to five years, individuals aged 65 and over, Aboriginal people from six months of age, pregnant women, and those with serious health conditions.

These groups are eligible for a free flu vaccine, available at local GP clinics or pharmacies.

Tip
For more information on the flu vaccine, visit the Department of Health website or call the National Immunisation Hotline at 1800 022 222.

In a concerted effort to bolster community health, NSW Health is also encouraging residents to consider receiving a COVID-19 booster alongside their flu vaccination.

NSW Premier Chris Minns warned that influenza is not only highly contagious but can be life-threatening, particularly for vulnerable populations.

‘Getting the flu jab is the best way to protect yourself and the wider community,’ he said.

Health Minister Ryan Park observed an uptick in virus activity across the country and is advocating for vaccination as a means of self-protection and community responsibility.

The impact of influenza was felt by at least 300,000 Australians in 2023, as the illness spread more freely in the post-COVID-19 pandemic environment.

The nation's cold and flu capitals have been identified, with Newcastle, Liverpool, and Blacktown in NSW topping the list.

The nation’s cold and flu capitals-.jpg

Other areas across Australia, including Southport in Queensland, Hillarys in Western Australia, and Warrnambool in Victoria, are also forecasted to experience high levels of cold and flu symptoms.

Source: 7NEWS Australia/YouTube​

Key Takeaways

• NSW residents are being urged to get vaccinated as cases of influenza spike, with over 4,700 people diagnosed in the past four weeks.
  • Health authorities are particularly concerned about vulnerable groups like young children, older adults, and those with serious health conditions.
  • NSW Health is encouraging residents to get a flu vaccine before the season peaks and to consider a Covid booster at the same time.
  • NSW experienced an increase in influenza hospital admissions, and the upcoming flu season could be as bad as or worse than the previous year. Health officials are urging vaccination as the best protection.
Feel free to share your insights and strategies for staying healthy during flu season in the comments section below. Have you received your flu shot? What steps are you taking to prepare for the colder months?

Last edited:
Sponsored
Sorry -Yeshewa, but nonsense - where did you get your information from. Some medics say no, but the majority say " get the shot ". I am in my 80s had the flu shot since retired 17 years and had 5 Covid shots - happy to say I am still here to read rubbish from people who are against helping others.

I've never had a flu vaccination in my life and I've never had the flu. So no chance me getting one now.
Such ignorance. As you age your body responds differently, you may regret not having shots. I never had them until around 58, and it's not just about YOU. Be thoughtful and think of others, no shot for you could mean getting the flu and passing it on to others, OR have a shot, may not get the flu or less severe and the chance of passing it on reduces.

Vaccinations for Covid and the flu are not just about YOU, it's a community thing, the more vaccinated the better keeping the viruses under control.

I concur with many above. How in the hell is Dr Chant still banging on about the Covid-19 vaccine when it has been proven ineffective!
I had a dear girlfriend 'died suddenly' 3 weeks after her booster. She openly admitted her health went downhill following the first jab. Like all the other sheep, she continued to follow the Chief Medical Officer's advice and subsequently received all 3 jabs. Her parents are convinced her death was directly related to the jab/s.
I now know many friends who know someone who has 'died suddenly', has contracted myo or pericarditis, have all of a sudden developed auto-immune, or whose cancer has myseriously returned. Join the dots...
During the height of COVID, one could easily access the DAEN (Database of Adverse Event Notifications), Australia. It is a lot more complex these days to drill down to the required information however, it is worth the time and effort. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND VIEW THE DATA! One will never use the term 'conspiracy theorist' again...
I need new conspiracy theories because all of my old ones came true
Maybe you could work on the “earth is flat” conspiracy, that should keep you quiet for many, many years.

I found your comment about relating to older people interesting. I love chatting to younger people & hearing about their worries & stuff that challenges them. I was talking to a few year 7 boys the other day who were telling me they weren’t impressed with high school & some of the subjects they have to study. They were surprised when I replied that I also felt the same way 60 yrs ago when I was 12. I’m always interested in the opinions of younger people. I love my friends but find a lot of elderly people are stuck in the past & don’t want to embrace our changing world.
I wasn’t impressed with my school subjects either and I was in the middle of you guys… it’s kinda sad that the education system isn’t in touch with what the young minds need to learn. I love hearing the stories about when they were younger, growing up in the 80’s was the last generation of curfew by street lights and the loss of common sense! But I try to relate with the younger generation too as I was in high school when computers etc BecamE more common. I remember it was confusing for me learning which is why I know older people who didn’t have the opportunity sometimes struggle.

• Love
Reactions: PattiB
I’ve had the flu this year already. I was only vaccinated in August for my flu shot. I hadn’t been sick for years, (since getting the inaugural Astro Zenica COVID injections!) yet this flu hung on over a month and I’m 47! I am diabetic but otherwise healthy, (I know I’m not a senior yet, however I prefer interacting with older people, you have your heads on straight!) I relate better to you all 😊 I fear for my parents and their friends if this flu gets hold of them. Well into their 70’s and obviously not without health issues.

Please, please lovely people don’t take any chances with this flu and keep yourselves and loved ones healthy 🤗
I think those flu vaccines make your body weaker, never had one and
prob never will. You had one and got it anyway…..

As a Health Professional there has never been a Scientific Report that definitively shows these Vaccines make One iota of difference to being exposed to a Pathogen ,seeing the Global harm from the experimental Gene Therapy Covd Bioweapon, it should be banned as Prof Dalgeish stated ,there has never been a Virus isolated outside of the body either ,One needs to have good hygeine, get out into the Sunshine for Vit D, and fresh Air ,Eat Healthy Foods Exercise daily and Sleep well take the following Oregano Oil, Garlic, Honey ,White Pine Needle Tea, ,Nattokinase, Bromelain, Curcurcum, etc if the Sniffles start
Totally agree, never had pine needle tea, will read up on it.
Got Nattokinase & the rest of it too, love Natto full stop, yum.

As a Health Professional there has never been a Scientific Report that definitively shows these Vaccines make One iota of difference to being exposed to a Pathogen ,seeing the Global harm from the experimental Gene Therapy Covd Bioweapon, it should be banned as Prof Dalgeish stated ,there has never been a Virus isolated outside of the body either ,One needs to have good hygeine, get out into the Sunshine for Vit D, and fresh Air ,Eat Healthy Foods Exercise daily and Sleep well take the following Oregano Oil, Garlic, Honey ,White Pine Needle Tea, ,Nattokinase, Bromelain, Curcurcum, etc if the Sniffles start
You sound like a naturopath are you😊
Bromelain is pineapple enzyme. Nattokinase is a blood thinner and can be dangerous so how can they help please explain there benefits.😊

Last edited:
You sound like a naturopath are you😊
Bromelain is pineapple enzyme. Nattokinase is a blood thinner and can be dangerous so how can they help please explain there benefits.😊
Always thought it’s good for the gut. Need to check again, forgot!
Digestive enzymes are always helpful!

Reactions: PattiB
No, I will not be having a Flu vaccination I have only ever had 1 and I came down with the Flu shortly after (the only time I have ever had the Flu in y 76 years). If people have the Flu they should stay home and NOT spread it around. To prevent getting the virus I will be increasing my immune system capsules and continue to eat fresh fruit & vegies and keep away from processed food. Wishing everyone a healthy autumn & winter. Think before you act! Remember that the truth is now coming out about 2020 - 2023
I absolutely agree with you! I will not be getting ANY vaccinations nor received the clot shots from the biggest scamdemic ever!

Why do you push for people to take the deadly COVID vaccine, it has been proven that it has killed thousands of people, COVID was a scam and yet people want people to get the death jab, it's about time you stopped pushing it. But another department still pushing this all for the government's bullshit. Just stop get on the people's side not government
Not everyone is anti vaccine and no one is pushing anything. If you don’t believe in vaccines that’s fine but don’t expect everyone to agree with you!

This is my opinion and I'll damn well say how I feel and yes they are pushing it, open your eyes
Don’t remember suggesting that you couldn’t express your opinion or how you feel, just that a lot of us won’t agree with you. I take my medical advice from my trusted GP. I’m actually entitled to express my opinion also.

Over 65, and never had a ‘Flu shot.
After the stage then stage 2 Covid shots, I only did 1 booster then caught Covid - not fun.
But now, I’ve been ill for 3 wks w Acute Bronchitis, which I’ve not had for years.
Thinking I’ll hv to go see a doctor about it, but as a pensioner, I hv to find $115 first to pay them.

Covid test pack all expired 31/1/24. New test packs are hard to find and V expensive.

Reactions: Jen77au
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else

Latest Articles

• We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×