Health authorities record 10 Monkeypox cases as largest recorded cluster to date

As the world grapples with various health challenges, a new concern has emerged for Queensland residents.

A cluster of ten linked monkeypox cases has been identified, marking the largest recorded cluster in the state to date.

This development has prompted swift action from health authorities, with contact tracing efforts in full swing to prevent further spread.

The cluster, separate from an earlier outbreak in Victoria, has raised questions and concerns among the community.

Queensland Health has been actively notifying the public of the locally acquired cases of monkeypox, now referred to as mpox, as of 30 May.

shutterstock_2159099357.jpg
Queensland Health has detected 10 cases of Monkeypox in Victoria. Credit: Shutterstock

Mpox is a viral disease that spreads through close contact with an infected person's skin lesions, body fluids, respiratory droplets, or contaminated items such as bedding or clothing.

While it can present as a mild illness with flu-like symptoms such as fever, headache, and swollen lymph nodes, it's the distinctive rash that often raises alarm.

This rash typically appears on the face one to three days after the onset of fever and can spread to other parts of the body.

The first case of mpox was reported in Australia in May 2022, and since then, the World Health Organisation has declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern.

On 28 July 2022, Australia's Chief Medical Officer followed suit, declaring monkeypox a communicable disease incident of national significance.

Victoria had confirmed 16 cases of mpox since 18 April, 13 of which were locally acquired.

‘All cases are currently linked, and contact tracing is underway by public health units,’ a spokesperson for Queensland Health said.

‘Anyone who has been in contact with someone with mpox should contact their local public health unit and monitor for symptoms for 21 days.’

Queensland Health added that high-risk groups such as sex workers are eligible for free vaccines through sexual health clinics and GPs.

‘Government-funded Mpox vaccine is available to people at greater risk of Mpox infection through sexual health clinics and some GPs,’ a spokesperson said.

‘Two doses of vaccine are needed for optimal protection, and vaccination reduces the risk of infection and severe disease.’

You can check the list of Queensland Mpox vaccine centres here.
Key Takeaways
  • Queensland Health has reported a cluster of ten linked cases of monkeypox, making it the largest cluster recorded in the state.
  • Contact tracing is underway, and those who have been in contact with an infected individual are urged to monitor for symptoms for 21 days.
  • High-risk groups, including sex workers in Queensland, have access to free vaccines for monkeypox, which require two doses for optimal protection.
  • Monkeypox can spread through close contact and presents symptoms similar to influenza, followed by a rash that starts on the face and can spread to other body parts.
Have you or someone you know been affected by the mpox outbreak? Share your experiences and tips for staying healthy in the comments below.

Sponsored
"According to the available documents, we have seen that there are normally two ways of monkeypox transmission. However, the LGBTQ and MSM communities are disproportionately affected by mpox infection."

"Numerous research have only focused on the sexual orientation of victims."

"According to a study, there were 54,709 laboratory‐confirmed cases of mpox where the majority of these cases were in men who had sex with men and reported recent sexual activity with one or more partners."

Best way to protect yourself is to :
* Be Monogamous
* Don't fornicate
* Don't commit adultery
* Don't engage in sexual activity with multiple partners
* Don't engage in homosexual activity, bisexual activity, bestiality

All sexual activity with strangers, or with those who also have multiple sexual partners is considered high-risk.

NB: The above is not religious or morality advice.
It is plain common sense, since the current outbreak is mainly due to high-risk sexual behaviour.

It would be highly informative and desirable for people to read the HEALTH SCIENCE REPORT at the above link, before commenting.

If people follow the Health Advice, this outbreak should be short-lived.
No point blaming any groups for the outbreak.
We have MPOx in our community.
Now we need to help those with it, and deal with limiting the outbreak.

Last edited:
Monkeypox is from the smallpox family and originated through monkeys being held in captive in Africa in the 80s .
Sounds abit like how they said Aids started .

It is contagious but usually through body fluids which is why it is more rapid around sex workers.

There is vaccination but no cure, it usually last around 21 days but can last longer.

The virus generally spreads to people from infected wild animals such as rodents and primates, found in the rainforests of Central and West Africa, but human-to-human transmission can also occur. Similar to viruses like Ebola, transmission only happens in close proximity by contact with lesions, body fluids, respiratory droplets or contaminated materials such as bedding or clothes.

Monkeypox is from the smallpox family and originated through monkeys being held in captive in Africa in the 80s .

It is contagious but usually through body fluids which is why it is more rapid around sex workers.

There is vaccination but no cure, it usually last around 21 days but can last longer.

The virus generally spreads to people from infected wild animals such as rodents and primates, found in the rainforests of Central and West Africa, but human-to-human transmission can also occur. Similar to viruses like Ebola, transmission only happens in close proximity by contact with lesions, body fluids, respiratory droplets or contaminated materials such as bedding or clothes.
here speaketh the knowledged one.

"According to the available documents, we have seen that there are normally two ways of monkeypox transmission. However, the LGBTQ and MSM communities are disproportionately affected by mpox infection."

"Numerous research have only focused on the sexual orientation of victims."

"According to a study, there were 54,709 laboratory‐confirmed cases of mpox where the majority of these cases were in men who had sex with men and reported recent sexual activity with one or more partners."

Best way to protect yourself is to :
* Be Monogamous
* Don't fornicate
* Don't commit adultery
* Don't engage in sexual activity with multiple partners
* Don't engage in homosexual activity, bisexual activity, bestiality

All sexual activity with strangers, or with those who also have multiple sexual partners is considered high-risk.

NB: The above is not religious or morality advice.
It is plain common sense, since the current outbreak is mainly due to high-risk sexual behaviour.

It would be highly informative and desirable for people to read the HEALTH SCIENCE REPORT at the above link, before commenting.

If people follow the Health Advice, this outbreak should be short-lived.
No point blaming any groups for the outbreak.
We have MPOx in our community.
Now we need to help those with it, and deal with limiting the outbreak.
Well put Ingot :)

I think the article mentions what you have. But there is no mention of this anywhere else

Reactions: Gabriella Pettit
Why is there no mention of this on any media platforms. I find this to be more scare tactics, fake news
There are times when I have asked God why some humans are so utterly stupid. Last time I telephoned I got a voice mail-reply," Gone fishing at the other end of the Universe: your problem".

There are times when I have asked God why some humans are so utterly stupid. Last time I telephoned I got a voice mail-reply," Gone fishing at the other end of the Universe: your problem".
Einstein said there are only two things that are infinite—the universe and human stupidity. He added, “And I’m not sure about the universe.”

Reactions: Gabriella Pettit
Not fake and broaden your mind - it is in the papers and stop relying on Social Media to tell you anything truthful!
Really well my life doesn't revolve around social media. But I did look this up and there is no mention of any current cases in Australia that I could see. I broadened my mind with the covid lies , look where that ended .

Really well my life doesn't revolve around social media. But I did look this up and there is no mention of any current cases in Australia that I could see. I broadened my mind with the covid lies , look where that ended .
I am so glad I became a member and have an opinion, because it appears if it not agreeable to the masses .it's ok to be disrespectful. But I can handle that

Well I am one who will not dispute that - we have never had Covid - flu not had for 5 years and refuse "vaxines" much to the disgust of my GP - I told him show me the proof and not lies and I will listen. So far he hasn't been able to!