Heads up, shoppers! Woolworths is scrapping 15c reusable plastic bags in two more states

It looks like Woolworths is officially closing the book on its 15-cent reusable plastic shopping bags in 2023! Two more states have now said goodbye to the service as part of larger efforts to cut back on plastic pollution.

The retail giant stopped selling plastic shopping bags at all of its Queensland and ACT stores from February 15 (that’s right, it’s already in effect).

This is part of the company's commitment to remove the bags from all stores nationwide over the next few months.

SA, NT, and WA Woolworths stores already phased the bags out last year, while NSW, VIC, and TAS stores are said to follow suit by June.

The decision to phase out the 15c reusable plastic shopping bags signals great news for the environment, with Woolworths estimating that it will take away more than 1,630 tonnes of plastic from circulation each year.

'We're proud to be the first major supermarket to commit to removing plastic shopping bags from our stores nationwide, and this change is an important step towards more sustainable grocery shopping,’ Woolworths’ State General Manager for Queensland Danny Baldwin said.

674216.jpg
QLD and ACT Woolworths shoppers will be seeing the last of the store’s 15c reusable plastic shopping bags because of an ongoing phaseout. Image Credit: Woolworths

‘Bringing your own bags is the very best outcome for the environment, and we encourage our customers to keep up the great work. Paper bags will continue to be available for those who forget to bring their own — but ultimately we want to sell less bags altogether.’

‘We know it may be an adjustment for some customers and we thank them in advance for their support as we all work together to create a better tomorrow.’

Baldwin also pointed out that eight out of every ten Woolies shoppers bring their own bags, which is a sign that many have reacted positively to the idea of reusing bags.

‘A number of our customers are electing to actually not use bags at all,’ he added.

Aussies affected by the change will still have access to paper bags and other reusable plastic bags such as the new 99c ones introduced late last year.

According to reports, the paper bags are also due for a redesign which would see them able to carry up to 6 kg and made of up to 70 per cent recycled paper.

QLD and ACT users of Woolworths’ online shopping services will now have paper bags as the default option.

The move, though welcomed by advocates, is still lacking in certain areas, according to some.

149287.jpg
Woolworths stores in the ACT and QLD will shift more towards environmentally friendly paper shopping bags as the phaseout commences. Image Credit: Woolworths

‘You've really got to also educate everyone and just constantly remind people because for so long, we've just been so used to being able to walk in and just grab a bag,’ sustainability strategist Julie Boulton told ABC.

‘I think they've done well in taking the decision and being bold because I know for a lot of people it is a really big shift… But I also think what they could do better is explain why they're doing it and why this is important and ... why they've decided to go on this journey and make the call, and then also talk about all of the reasons behind it.’

‘(For example) what goes into making a plastic bag? Where does it come from? What happens to it after it's been used? So the more we put up signage around this, the more people understand — “Okay, right, I understand the bigger picture… it's actually for the common good.”’

QLD and ACT are among the areas in Australia that have commitments to reduce plastic use in place.

They enforced policies in 2021 banning single-use plastics, according to the Australian Marine Conservation Society (AMCS).

Currently, items such as plastic cutlery, straws, and polystyrene food and beverage containers are disallowed in QLD and ACT.

In September, the ban on single-use plastics in QLD will be expanded to include cotton bud sticks, plastic microbeads, and loose-fill polystyrene packaging. A measure that effectively bans disposable heavyweight plastic bags is also expected to take effect in the state in the same month.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths supermarket phased out its 15c reusable plastic shopping bags in all Queensland and ACT stores on February 15.
  • The move will see more than 1,630 tonnes of plastic removed from circulation annually across the state.
  • Woolworths paper bags and other 99c reusable bags will remain available to those who need them.
The development from Woolworths comes just as VIC joined states with increasingly strict measures against single-use plastics.

Individuals and businesses caught supplying or selling single-use plastic items in VIC face fines of $370 and up to $1,849, respectively.

In NSW, which enacted a similar ban late last year, individuals and businesses face heavier fines of up to $11,000 and $55,000, respectively.

Meanwhile, AMCS says TAS remains the only state without commitments to end single-use plastics.

In related news, Australia’s shift away from single-use plastics has some scratching their heads about what materials could be used as alternatives. Enter the humble mushroom.

So, what are your thoughts on Woolies’ latest move towards reducing plastic use? Do you welcome it despite the inconvenience it might cause for some? Have you taken to using reusable bags yourself?

Tell us your thoughts below!

Source: YouTube/7NEWS Australia

Sponsored
It looks like Woolworths is officially closing the book on its 15-cent reusable plastic shopping bags in 2023! Two more states have now said goodbye to the service as part of larger efforts to cut back on plastic pollution.

The retail giant stopped selling plastic shopping bags at all of its Queensland and ACT stores from February 15 (that’s right, it’s already in effect).

This is part of the company's commitment to remove the bags from all stores nationwide over the next few months.

SA, NT, and WA Woolworths stores already phased the bags out last year, while NSW, VIC, and TAS stores are said to follow suit by June.

The decision to phase out the 15c reusable plastic shopping bags signals great news for the environment, with Woolworths estimating that it will take away more than 1,630 tonnes of plastic from circulation each year.

'We're proud to be the first major supermarket to commit to removing plastic shopping bags from our stores nationwide, and this change is an important step towards more sustainable grocery shopping,’ Woolworths’ State General Manager for Queensland Danny Baldwin said.

View attachment 13710
QLD and ACT Woolworths shoppers will be seeing the last of the store’s 15c reusable plastic shopping bags because of an ongoing phaseout. Image Credit: Woolworths

‘Bringing your own bags is the very best outcome for the environment, and we encourage our customers to keep up the great work. Paper bags will continue to be available for those who forget to bring their own — but ultimately we want to sell less bags altogether.’

‘We know it may be an adjustment for some customers and we thank them in advance for their support as we all work together to create a better tomorrow.’

Baldwin also pointed out that eight out of every ten Woolies shoppers bring their own bags, which is a sign that many have reacted positively to the idea of reusing bags.

‘A number of our customers are electing to actually not use bags at all,’ he added.

Aussies affected by the change will still have access to paper bags and other reusable plastic bags such as the new 99c ones introduced late last year.

According to reports, the paper bags are also due for a redesign which would see them able to carry up to 6 kg and made of up to 70 per cent recycled paper.

QLD and ACT users of Woolworths’ online shopping services will now have paper bags as the default option.

The move, though welcomed by advocates, is still lacking in certain areas, according to some.

View attachment 13711
Woolworths stores in the ACT and QLD will shift more towards environmentally friendly paper shopping bags as the phaseout commences. Image Credit: Woolworths

‘You've really got to also educate everyone and just constantly remind people because for so long, we've just been so used to being able to walk in and just grab a bag,’ sustainability strategist Julie Boulton told ABC.

‘I think they've done well in taking the decision and being bold because I know for a lot of people it is a really big shift… But I also think what they could do better is explain why they're doing it and why this is important and ... why they've decided to go on this journey and make the call, and then also talk about all of the reasons behind it.’

‘(For example) what goes into making a plastic bag? Where does it come from? What happens to it after it's been used? So the more we put up signage around this, the more people understand — “Okay, right, I understand the bigger picture… it's actually for the common good.”’

QLD and ACT are among the areas in Australia that have commitments to reduce plastic use in place.

They enforced policies in 2021 banning single-use plastics, according to the Australian Marine Conservation Society (AMCS).

Currently, items such as plastic cutlery, straws, and polystyrene food and beverage containers are disallowed in QLD and ACT.

In September, the ban on single-use plastics in QLD will be expanded to include cotton bud sticks, plastic microbeads, and loose-fill polystyrene packaging. A measure that effectively bans disposable heavyweight plastic bags is also expected to take effect in the state in the same month.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths supermarket phased out its 15c reusable plastic shopping bags in all Queensland and ACT stores on February 15.
  • The move will see more than 1,630 tonnes of plastic removed from circulation annually across the state.
  • Woolworths paper bags and other 99c reusable bags will remain available to those who need them.
The development from Woolworths comes just as VIC joined states with increasingly strict measures against single-use plastics.

Individuals and businesses caught supplying or selling single-use plastic items in VIC face fines of $370 and up to $1,849, respectively.

In NSW, which enacted a similar ban late last year, individuals and businesses face heavier fines of up to $11,000 and $55,000, respectively.

Meanwhile, AMCS says TAS remains the only state without commitments to end single-use plastics.

In related news, Australia’s shift away from single-use plastics has some scratching their heads about what materials could be used as alternatives. Enter the humble mushroom.

So, what are your thoughts on Woolies’ latest move towards reducing plastic use? Do you welcome it despite the inconvenience it might cause for some? Have you taken to using reusable bags yourself?

I thought we were going to remove most of the plastic in these supermarkets, so we are going to 'remove' the plastic bags to replace them with what, Eggs in plastic.... they should not be Super Markets anymore, they should be called plastic markets, I have never seen a place with so much plastic wrapped around virtually every single item in the store. I just hate plastic; it is the bane of my like besides computers in cars. My car broke down last week, nothing wrong with it, it is the computer, so who do you ring now days, a Mechanic or Bill Gates.

So they want not to do away with plastic bags, but you can still buy them in rolls in the cleaning aisle! It doesn’t make sense! Well, it does because the supermarkets will sell more of this sort of bag for lining bins.
It is a start. There is no quick fix especially when there are some who do not want to or cant remember to bring bags. This is going to be a very slow process. Alternatives are not always cost effective. I am sure there is a lot of research going into the getting rid of plastic packaging but it has to be done so it does not impact the cost of the products it will be used on. The more of us who stop using plastic and buying bags for one off uses, as some do even with these reusable plastic bags, the sooner there will be a moving away from most plastic products. And using a 15c bag as a bin liner is a bit extravagant in my book.. Just my opinion, as we are all allowed to have.

Slowly catching up with the UK which banned them over 8 years ago. People have got used to it there and just bring their own bags whether they're young or old.

Obviously there's going to be people finding fault with this and will probably sulk because they can't get a bag for their shopping🙄 Too bad. The idea is very good and will work, so they'll have to find something else to moan about. How about self serve? 😂😂

View attachment 13710

View attachment 13711

Key Takeaways

Yes I fully agree that plastic has to go we used to have paper bags years ago and no one complained. Next I hope it’s plastic milk bottles there was nothing wrong with the cardboard ones or better still the glass ones

So they want not to do away with plastic bags, but you can still buy them in rolls in the cleaning aisle! It doesn’t make sense! Well, it does because the supermarkets will sell more of this sort of bag for lining bins.
Exactly- I used to use all the single use plastic shopping bags to line my bins- now I have to buy them- where’s the sense in that?

Exactly- I used to use all the single use plastic shopping bags to line my bins- now I have to buy them- where’s the sense in that?
The sense in that is to stop people buying these plastic bags that break and end up in our environment. Buy the green bags & cooler bags and they last for many decades. I have also seen times when the stores place the green bags on sale for .20 cents each. So, I buy some more if I have the funds. $1.00 and you get 5 green bags. $Bargain. Plus, I have them for many many years.

Reactions: Granny*Deb
When we went overseas in 2014 we had to buy reusable bags for shopping, why has it taken so long here, because all the whinging and carrying on from the public across the board who were either too lazy to remember to bring their bags or snippy about leakage. Well finally get over it folks, its time to join the revolution. We may not contribute a lot to global warming but, we certainly foul our streets and waters with plastics.

Plastic shopping bags should NEVER be used in bins. They never break down. That's part of what the big fuss is about them. So now you can buy some that are suitable for that use. (y)

Reactions: Granny*Deb
The sense in that is to stop people buying these plastic bags that break and end up in our environment. Buy the green bags & cooler bags and they last for many decades. I have also seen times when the stores place the green bags on sale for .20 cents each. So, I buy some more if I have the funds. $1.00 and you get 5 green bags. $Bargain. Plus, I have them for many many years.
Sure that’s fine for shopping but what do you line your garbage bin with now?

I wonder if this is backed by "Glad" to sell more of their bags???

Plastic shopping bags should NEVER be used in bins. They never break down. That's part of what the big fuss is about them. So now you can buy some that are suitable for that use. (y)
Both Coles & Woolworths spruiked the idea that they only used "recycled" plastic in their 15c bags? So how is this different to using recycled paper bags??? The recycled plastics bags do break down with UV activity and shread like confetti. How many acres of land are cleared to make the paper in the first place and then the carbon footprint to make the paper then recyle the paper to make the bags? I don't see that this is any more environmentally friendly.
I think the buzz words are 99c as opposed to 15c -purely for profit purposes!