Heads up, shoppers! Woolworths is scrapping 15c reusable plastic bags in two more states

It looks like Woolworths is officially closing the book on its 15-cent reusable plastic shopping bags in 2023! Two more states have now said goodbye to the service as part of larger efforts to cut back on plastic pollution.

The retail giant stopped selling plastic shopping bags at all of its Queensland and ACT stores from February 15 (that’s right, it’s already in effect).

This is part of the company's commitment to remove the bags from all stores nationwide over the next few months.

SA, NT, and WA Woolworths stores already phased the bags out last year, while NSW, VIC, and TAS stores are said to follow suit by June.

The decision to phase out the 15c reusable plastic shopping bags signals great news for the environment, with Woolworths estimating that it will take away more than 1,630 tonnes of plastic from circulation each year.

'We're proud to be the first major supermarket to commit to removing plastic shopping bags from our stores nationwide, and this change is an important step towards more sustainable grocery shopping,’ Woolworths’ State General Manager for Queensland Danny Baldwin said.

674216.jpg
QLD and ACT Woolworths shoppers will be seeing the last of the store’s 15c reusable plastic shopping bags because of an ongoing phaseout. Image Credit: Woolworths

‘Bringing your own bags is the very best outcome for the environment, and we encourage our customers to keep up the great work. Paper bags will continue to be available for those who forget to bring their own — but ultimately we want to sell less bags altogether.’

‘We know it may be an adjustment for some customers and we thank them in advance for their support as we all work together to create a better tomorrow.’

Baldwin also pointed out that eight out of every ten Woolies shoppers bring their own bags, which is a sign that many have reacted positively to the idea of reusing bags.

‘A number of our customers are electing to actually not use bags at all,’ he added.

Aussies affected by the change will still have access to paper bags and other reusable plastic bags such as the new 99c ones introduced late last year.

According to reports, the paper bags are also due for a redesign which would see them able to carry up to 6 kg and made of up to 70 per cent recycled paper.

QLD and ACT users of Woolworths’ online shopping services will now have paper bags as the default option.

The move, though welcomed by advocates, is still lacking in certain areas, according to some.

149287.jpg
Woolworths stores in the ACT and QLD will shift more towards environmentally friendly paper shopping bags as the phaseout commences. Image Credit: Woolworths

‘You've really got to also educate everyone and just constantly remind people because for so long, we've just been so used to being able to walk in and just grab a bag,’ sustainability strategist Julie Boulton told ABC.

‘I think they've done well in taking the decision and being bold because I know for a lot of people it is a really big shift… But I also think what they could do better is explain why they're doing it and why this is important and ... why they've decided to go on this journey and make the call, and then also talk about all of the reasons behind it.’

‘(For example) what goes into making a plastic bag? Where does it come from? What happens to it after it's been used? So the more we put up signage around this, the more people understand — “Okay, right, I understand the bigger picture… it's actually for the common good.”’

QLD and ACT are among the areas in Australia that have commitments to reduce plastic use in place.

They enforced policies in 2021 banning single-use plastics, according to the Australian Marine Conservation Society (AMCS).

Currently, items such as plastic cutlery, straws, and polystyrene food and beverage containers are disallowed in QLD and ACT.

In September, the ban on single-use plastics in QLD will be expanded to include cotton bud sticks, plastic microbeads, and loose-fill polystyrene packaging. A measure that effectively bans disposable heavyweight plastic bags is also expected to take effect in the state in the same month.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths supermarket phased out its 15c reusable plastic shopping bags in all Queensland and ACT stores on February 15.
  • The move will see more than 1,630 tonnes of plastic removed from circulation annually across the state.
  • Woolworths paper bags and other 99c reusable bags will remain available to those who need them.
The development from Woolworths comes just as VIC joined states with increasingly strict measures against single-use plastics.

Individuals and businesses caught supplying or selling single-use plastic items in VIC face fines of $370 and up to $1,849, respectively.

In NSW, which enacted a similar ban late last year, individuals and businesses face heavier fines of up to $11,000 and $55,000, respectively.

Meanwhile, AMCS says TAS remains the only state without commitments to end single-use plastics.

In related news, Australia’s shift away from single-use plastics has some scratching their heads about what materials could be used as alternatives. Enter the humble mushroom.

So, what are your thoughts on Woolies’ latest move towards reducing plastic use? Do you welcome it despite the inconvenience it might cause for some? Have you taken to using reusable bags yourself?

Tell us your thoughts below!

Source: YouTube/7NEWS Australia

Sponsored
Then again, who says you have to line the bin? If the bin gets manky, hose it out.
Are you allowed to put your garbage straight into the wheelie bin? I was told you had to put it in a bag or they wouldn’t empty your bin when I first came to Australia. I live in an apartment complex and I don’t believe the bins ever get hosed out, so it would be very unhygienic and fly ridden before too long.
I wish they made bin liners with biodegradable paper with a waxed inside surface - but they don’t

• Sad
Reactions: Granny*Deb
It looks like Woolworths is officially closing the book on its 15-cent reusable plastic shopping bags in 2023! Two more states have now said goodbye to the service as part of larger efforts to cut back on plastic pollution.

The retail giant stopped selling plastic shopping bags at all of its Queensland and ACT stores from February 15 (that’s right, it’s already in effect).

This is part of the company's commitment to remove the bags from all stores nationwide over the next few months.

SA, NT, and WA Woolworths stores already phased the bags out last year, while NSW, VIC, and TAS stores are said to follow suit by June.

The decision to phase out the 15c reusable plastic shopping bags signals great news for the environment, with Woolworths estimating that it will take away more than 1,630 tonnes of plastic from circulation each year.

'We're proud to be the first major supermarket to commit to removing plastic shopping bags from our stores nationwide, and this change is an important step towards more sustainable grocery shopping,’ Woolworths’ State General Manager for Queensland Danny Baldwin said.

View attachment 13710
QLD and ACT Woolworths shoppers will be seeing the last of the store’s 15c reusable plastic shopping bags because of an ongoing phaseout. Image Credit: Woolworths

‘Bringing your own bags is the very best outcome for the environment, and we encourage our customers to keep up the great work. Paper bags will continue to be available for those who forget to bring their own — but ultimately we want to sell less bags altogether.’

‘We know it may be an adjustment for some customers and we thank them in advance for their support as we all work together to create a better tomorrow.’

Baldwin also pointed out that eight out of every ten Woolies shoppers bring their own bags, which is a sign that many have reacted positively to the idea of reusing bags.

‘A number of our customers are electing to actually not use bags at all,’ he added.

Aussies affected by the change will still have access to paper bags and other reusable plastic bags such as the new 99c ones introduced late last year.

According to reports, the paper bags are also due for a redesign which would see them able to carry up to 6 kg and made of up to 70 per cent recycled paper.

QLD and ACT users of Woolworths’ online shopping services will now have paper bags as the default option.

The move, though welcomed by advocates, is still lacking in certain areas, according to some.

View attachment 13711
Woolworths stores in the ACT and QLD will shift more towards environmentally friendly paper shopping bags as the phaseout commences. Image Credit: Woolworths

‘You've really got to also educate everyone and just constantly remind people because for so long, we've just been so used to being able to walk in and just grab a bag,’ sustainability strategist Julie Boulton told ABC.

‘I think they've done well in taking the decision and being bold because I know for a lot of people it is a really big shift… But I also think what they could do better is explain why they're doing it and why this is important and ... why they've decided to go on this journey and make the call, and then also talk about all of the reasons behind it.’

‘(For example) what goes into making a plastic bag? Where does it come from? What happens to it after it's been used? So the more we put up signage around this, the more people understand — “Okay, right, I understand the bigger picture… it's actually for the common good.”’

QLD and ACT are among the areas in Australia that have commitments to reduce plastic use in place.

They enforced policies in 2021 banning single-use plastics, according to the Australian Marine Conservation Society (AMCS).

Currently, items such as plastic cutlery, straws, and polystyrene food and beverage containers are disallowed in QLD and ACT.

In September, the ban on single-use plastics in QLD will be expanded to include cotton bud sticks, plastic microbeads, and loose-fill polystyrene packaging. A measure that effectively bans disposable heavyweight plastic bags is also expected to take effect in the state in the same month.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths supermarket phased out its 15c reusable plastic shopping bags in all Queensland and ACT stores on February 15.
  • The move will see more than 1,630 tonnes of plastic removed from circulation annually across the state.
  • Woolworths paper bags and other 99c reusable bags will remain available to those who need them.
The development from Woolworths comes just as VIC joined states with increasingly strict measures against single-use plastics.

Individuals and businesses caught supplying or selling single-use plastic items in VIC face fines of $370 and up to $1,849, respectively.

In NSW, which enacted a similar ban late last year, individuals and businesses face heavier fines of up to $11,000 and $55,000, respectively.

Meanwhile, AMCS says TAS remains the only state without commitments to end single-use plastics.

In related news, Australia’s shift away from single-use plastics has some scratching their heads about what materials could be used as alternatives. Enter the humble mushroom.

So, what are your thoughts on Woolies’ latest move towards reducing plastic use? Do you welcome it despite the inconvenience it might cause for some? Have you taken to using reusable bags yourself?

I don’t see any consideration given to people like myself who have to do online shopping. Love the paper bags going back to the days when paper sacks were common

Are you allowed to put your garbage straight into the wheelie bin? I was told you had to put it in a bag or they wouldn’t empty your bin when I first came to Australia. I live in an apartment complex and I don’t believe the bins ever get hosed out, so it would be very unhygienic and fly ridden before too long.
I wish they made bin liners with biodegradable paper with a waxed inside surface - but they don’t
In our suburb yes but rarely done , a friend is a garbage truck man and mainly rubbish bags. Maybe one day your suggestion will happen. Also recycled just gets plopped in and they get pretty smelly

When we went overseas in 2014 we had to buy reusable bags for shopping, why has it taken so long here, because all the whinging and carrying on from the public across the board who were either too lazy to remember to bring their bags or snippy about leakage. Well finally get over it folks, its time to join the revolution. We may not contribute a lot to global warming but, we certainly foul our streets and waters with plastics.
Well said except...we ARE major contributors to global warming! All our factories etc would never pass European standards for emissions.. as yet...

paper bags fall apart and tear if anything too heavy goes into them ... Not a good default decision.

South Australia did away with the single use plastic bag at the checkout in 2009…
About time all the other states got on board!!
Yes we have, I prefer the fabric bags or string bags or I have boxes/tubs in the car to put a lot of my goods straight from the trolley that aren't bagged. And now SA just need to stop putting 1kg of grapes in a plastic bag, a dozen apples in a plastic bag and so on. We can't even buy small quantities anymore, of fruit and veg so food gets wasted especially for singles, unless you are happy to eat the same thing for a week or more.

Reactions: Jenny07
When we went overseas in 2014 we had to buy reusable bags for shopping, why has it taken so long here, because all the whinging and carrying on from the public across the board who were either too lazy to remember to bring their bags or snippy about leakage. Well finally get over it folks, its time to join the revolution. We may not contribute a lot to global warming but, we certainly foul our streets and waters with plastics.
as Bullwinkle has already posted, SA got rid of them in 2009, just like can recycling, we've been ahead, but now they need to stop wrapping fruit and veg in plastic where you can't even buy the quantity you want.

It gives the supermarkets more profits!
And why is that a problem?

All companies are in the business to make profits
otherwise they'd go bust and not bother starting a company in the first place. And they're not charities.

This is all a huge joke. Woolworths and Colss coming out that they are ao environmental. No more free bags, but then they sell 15c plastic bags. It's all rubbish and just sales chatter.

Everything else is in.plastic, vegetables, fruit, meat. Cereals, the list is endless.

We still have plastic single use garbage bags sold in their 1000s by these supermarket chains. Most people used to use their shopping bags for their garbage, but now retailer sell single use bags.

We now see trollets 10s of KMs away because people can't carry their shopping. There rrolleys stolen and left all over rhe place..

It all makes perfect marketing chatter. Nothing to do with the environment.

If people haven't caught on by now that they need to bring their own bags - this might help them to "remember"

View attachment 13710

View attachment 13711

Key Takeaways

In our suburb yes but rarely done , a friend is a garbage truck man and mainly rubbish bags. Maybe one day your suggestion will happen. Also recycled just gets plopped in and they get pretty smelly
The least we can do is rinse out our recyclables- it doesn’t take much - must be pretty disgusting!

This is all a huge joke. Woolworths and Colss coming out that they are ao environmental. No more free bags, but then they sell 15c plastic bags. It's all rubbish and just sales chatter.

Everything else is in.plastic, vegetables, fruit, meat. Cereals, the list is endless.

We still have plastic single use garbage bags sold in their 1000s by these supermarket chains. Most people used to use their shopping bags for their garbage, but now retailer sell single use bags.

We now see trollets 10s of KMs away because people can't carry their shopping. There rrolleys stolen and left all over rhe place..

It all makes perfect marketing chatter. Nothing to do with the environment.
Great reply

Reactions: relljube