'He was genuinely worried about my safety': Scammer preys on a father's worst fear

The bond between a parent and child is sacred—it is a connection built on years of trust and love.

It's this very bond that scammers are exploiting in a new, heart-wrenching con that's leaving families devastated and bank accounts drained.

One father's tale was a cautionary one after his fear was taken advantage of.

Brisbane local Josie Duncan was well on her way to Canada to visit her 61-year-old father, Jeff Duncan.

In the middle of Josie's travels, Jeff's ordeal began with a phone call that any parent would dread—the voice of their child on the other end, filled with distress and tears.

The caller, who claimed to be Josie, pleaded for immediate financial help.

In a state of panic and the paternal instinct to protect his child, Jeff did not hesitate.

compressed-josie duncan.jpeg
The Duncans were supposed to spend time together on a holiday as Josie travelled from Australia to Canada. Image Credit: GoFundMe/Josie Duncan

He followed the scammer's instructions via text message and sent over $5,000, believing he was helping his daughter out of a dire situation.

The cruel irony was that the real Josie was unreachable mid-flight.

By the time she landed and reassured her father of her safety, the damage had been done.

The money was gone, transferred to an untraceable account, leaving Jeff financially and emotionally shattered.

'What hit me was the look on his face when he finally reached me on FaceTime as I was going through security at the airport,' Josie recounted.

'He was genuinely worried about my safety.'

'Him seeing me safe was such a relief, but I also saw the look of defeat as he realised he had been scammed,' she added.

This scam—called the 'family emergency' or 'grandparent' scams—prey on older people by impersonating a family member in urgent need.

The vicious trick uses artificial intelligence to mimic voices, making the scam more convincing.

The scammers are meticulous as they gather personal information to make their plea as believable as possible.

The aftermath of such scams is often devastating.

For Jeff, a widower who works tirelessly to make ends meet, the loss was more than a financial one.

It was a betrayal of trust and a blow to his spirit.

Josie, who witnessed her father's distress, reported the scam to the Ontario Provincial Police and the Royal Bank of Canada.

She also started a GoFundMe campaign to re-earn some of her father's losses and to raise awareness about the scam.

The Royal Bank of Canada reminded its clients always to ensure they are dealing with a trusted source when transferring funds.

Scams are becoming increasingly sophisticated as of late, and financial institutions and law enforcement are working to prevent and investigate such fraud.

The Duncans case is a reminder to stay vigilant at all costs.

If someone calls claiming to be a family member in distress, hang up and call that family member directly on a known number or reach out to another relative to confirm the story.

The Australian government's Scam Watch is an excellent resource for staying informed about the latest fraudulent schemes.

If you suspect a scam has targeted you, report it immediately to Scam Watch or your local police.

The SDC Forum also has an updated Scam Watch section.
Key Takeaways

• Father and baker Jeff Duncan was scammed out of his life's savings by a caller impersonating his daughter in distress.
  • The scammer used a voice that sounded remarkably similar to that of his daughter, Josie, and convinced him to transfer over $5000.
  • The victim's daughter reported the situation to the Ontario Police and set up a GoFundMe page to recover some of her father's losses.
  • The Royal Bank of Canada has been working with local authorities to prevent similar scams from happening.
Have you or anyone you know fell victim to these impersonation scams? Share your experiences and tips on avoiding scams in the comments below.

Sponsored
Always ring the person who has suppose to have called you. Surely you can say to who ever it is l know it sounds like you but darling because of these phones scams l am going to hang up now and shall call you back straight away. I am sure if it's a legitimate caller they will understand and be ready to answer your call immediately.In this case with the lady flying she would not have been able to take the call, ring a trusted family member or friend who could confirm the person is on the flight. Again better to be safe than sorry. Just have to slow down and think outside the square.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Yes I have. Somebody texted me saying , mum you can contact me on this number, I lost my phone and I have an invoice I need to pay straight away. Can you pay it for me and I will give you the money back within 48 hours. Sent me the invoice, wanted $3000. Said I didn't have that much money and best I could do was $900. I paid the money I had. Next day Laura rang me and I said, see you found your phone. Said I never lost it mum, must have been a scam. Rang the bank but they were unable to get the money back.
I was stupid paying it but really thought she was in trouble. Never again will I be scammed like that

Always ring the person who has suppose to have called you. Surely you can say to who ever it is l know it sounds like you but darling because of these phones scams l am going to hang up now and shall call you back straight away. I am sure if it's a legitimate caller they will understand and be ready to answer your call immediately.In this case with the lady flying she would not have been able to take the call, ring a trusted family member or friend who could confirm the person is on the flight. Again better to be safe than sorry. Just have to slow down and think outside the square.
I didn't know these scams were taking place

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM and Dynamo
Yes I have. Somebody texted me saying , mum you can contact me on this number, I lost my phone and I have an invoice I need to pay straight away. Can you pay it for me and I will give you the money back within 48 hours. Sent me the invoice, wanted $3000. Said I didn't have that much money and best I could do was $900. I paid the money I had. Next day Laura rang me and I said, see you found your phone. Said I never lost it mum, must have been a scam. Rang the bank but they were unable to get the money back.
I was stupid paying it but really thought she was in trouble. Never again will I be scammed like that
I am so sorry this happened to you. Hard lesson learnt.
Kind regards Vicki

lf there is any doubt
Ask them a question n
Ask them a question only they can answer in the course of the conversation

Sorry you got caught, but glad it wasn’t a bigger amount you lost. Any amount lost to these scumbags is too much.

Only happened once, was a text msg from supposed daughter telling me she dropped her phone in toilet and was using a different phone, could I send her some money. My reply was get phone out of toilet and scam it, then I deleted the msg. I knew it was a scam as my daughter would never ask me for money as she earns more than enough for anything she ever needs and she would ring me rather than text and we have a secret question only we know the answer to that we would use if ever in doubt it was her.

Extremely unfortunate to you BeautifulMousey. I really think that this will be an extremely bad ongoing criminal act. The confluted way these bastards work, I reckon that it is a great way to verifying who they are, is, by asking how many bros., & sisters in the family & what are their 2nd christian names. I'd reckon that they'd soon hang up.

As we age, we have to be extremely careful.

Extremely unfortunate to you BeautifulMousey. I really think that this will be an extremely bad ongoing criminal act. The confluted way these bastards work, I reckon that it is a great way to verifying who they are, is, by asking how many bros., & sisters in the family & what are their 2nd christian names. I'd reckon that they'd soon hang up.

Didn't get a phone call. I got a text. It was stupid of me, as I said the time of night I was really tired

Your right, but I was not thinking. My own fault this time

• Sad
Reactions: Dynamo and Gsr