Grocery budget squeeze: This pantry item is 47 per cent more expensive now

The humble pantry has become a battleground for budget-conscious Australians, with prices of everyday staples soaring to new heights.

Among these, one item has stood out for its staggering price hike: olive oil.

In just two years, the cost of this kitchen essential has increased, leaving many wondering how to manage their grocery bills.

The price of olive oil has always fluctuated, but the recent spike has been particularly sharp.

Jo Abi of 9Honey has examined the reasons behind this increase and its implications for your wallet.

shutterstock_2229457831.jpg
Olive oil has been expensive nowadays, leaving many wondering how to manage their grocery bills. Credit: Shutterstock

‘I long ago gave up on buying premium tins of olive oil, the kind my mum always kept under the kitchen sink my entire childhood,’ Jo said.

‘My parents would become attached to a particular brand and then change for no reason I could understand.’

Now, as a parent herself, Jo knew it had probably been related to the price increase, and she also remembered her mum reusing oil from time to time when she used a large quantity.

‘I started out my parenting journey with those same tins of olive oil, but I found them a bit annoying to store and use,’ she said.

‘I started buying the one litre home brand bottles for cooking, a bottle of extra virgin for salads and more affordable canola oil that I used for deep frying schnitzel and chips.

Let's take a closer look at the numbers.

In 2022, a litre of Essentials Olive Oil for $8.80 and Woolworths Extra Virgin Spanish Olive Oil for $10.

Fast-forward to today, and those prices have jumped to $13.00 and $17.00, respectively, at Woolworths, with Coles listing Essentials Olive Oil at an even steeper $17.00.

‘That is an increase of about 47 per cent to 93 per cent, depending on the store. I don't know about you, but for those prices, I'd expect them to come with a chef who does the cooking for me,’ Jo said.

‘We're encouraged to eat Mediterranean diets filled with olive oil and olives and nuts and oil fish, vegetables, garlic...but who can afford it? I'm struggling to keep up with the cost of olive oil alone, let alone the other items on this list.’

In response to these price pressures, Jo started exploring new avenues.

‘At Costco, their home brand Kirkland sells olive oil at $55.99 in a two pack of three-litre bottles at a cost of $9 per litre,’ she said.

However, she noted the challenge with warehouse stores like Costco is the temptation to fill your cart with more than you came for, which can quickly negate any savings.

‘ALDI is a bit better, selling at $8 for one litre. Once again, that requires me to avoid the Special Buys which, with ALDI's recent release of branded clothing including jumpers and t-shirts, is difficult,’ she shared.

The solution, according to Jo, has been to turn to online shopping.

‘Buying olive oil online from one of the many businesses selling non-perishable grocery items for less than what you'd find at the major supermarkets,’ Jo said.

‘The best place I found? Amazon. There you can buy a two-litre tin for $19.99 which at $9.50 per litre is on the lower end of the scale and allows me to avoid impulse purchases.’

‘Yes, it is a tin, but not my mum's monster four-litre one, a much more manageable size and the price is pretty awesome.’

With the cost-of-living crisis, it’s no wonder shoppers resort to stores with discounted prices—one such store is ALDI.

However, in a previous story, Jo explained why she found herself straying from ALDI’s aisles and wandering into Woolworths and Coles more frequently. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • The cost of olive oil has significantly increased, with price hikes of approximately 47 to 93 per cent observed over two years at major supermarkets.
  • Jo Abi has explored alternative purchasing options for olive oil to find better deals, including buying in bulk at Costco or avoiding impulse purchases by shopping online.
  • Online retailers such as Amazon offer competitive pricing for olive oil, with a two-litre tin available for $19.99, equating to $9.50 per litre.
  • Shifting shopping habits, including purchasing oil from alternative stores like ALDI or online platforms, can help consumers save money on this pantry staple despite the price surge at traditional supermarkets.
Have you noticed the price of olive oil affecting your grocery budget? What strategies have you employed to cope with the rising costs? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below.

Sponsored
There is olive oil and olive oil. Adulterated olive oil is on the market, especially in USA, because of the shortages.
In the oil growing regions of Spain people have been steeling the crops and also cutting down the
olive trees to steel the crop. Olive oil extra virgin should have a green tinge and should be stored either in a dark green bottle or a tin. Be on the safe side and by Australian Olive oil

They hike the price because the use of evoo has become so popular. The Mediterranean diet fad.

Reactions: Ricci
Olive oil has increased in price? Must be the war in...........wherever.

All flippancy apart, cod-liver oil has certain remedial properties, in the late 1970s-eaarly 1980s disbelieved by the medical profession. However, once some researcher persuaded our medicos that fish-oil actually did have anti-inflammatory properties and was definitely good for one, the price rocketed as the health-food corporations started promoting the stuff. I suppose there is a limited diminishing number of cod in the sea and demand and supply etcetera etcetera.

Reactions: Ricci
Vietnamese olive oil sells for between $5.26 USD and $3.34 USD per kilogram; and the wholesale price is between $3.68USD and $2.34USD per kilogram. The density of olive oil is 0.92 g/cc. so 1 litre of Vietnamese olive oil retail would cost between $4.84USD per litre and $3.07 per litre. Today 1 USD =1.56 AUD in OZ dollars. So Vietnamese olive oil, presumably in Vietnam, retails for between $7.55 and $5.21 per litre.

Why consider Vietnamese olive oil in Vietnam? Because the cost of living there is less than in OZ unless you want to buy property in Hanoi /Saigon and probably some other places, and wages there are still less than in OZ. Vietnam and Cambodia both produce Olive Oil with Vietnam being the 56th largest exporter of Olive Oil in the world earning $22 700 presumably USD ($22.7k according to the OEC of which I seem to recall one of our former least notable politicians became head). Japan is the country that buys most of it.

So there you go!

Reactions: croz
Vietnamese olive oil sells for between $5.26 USD and $3.34 USD per kilogram; and the wholesale price is between $3.68USD and $2.34USD per kilogram. The density of olive oil is 0.92 g/cc. so 1 litre of Vietnamese olive oil retail would cost between $4.84USD per litre and $3.07 per litre. Today 1 USD =1.56 AUD in OZ dollars. So Vietnamese olive oil, presumably in Vietnam, retails for between $7.55 and $5.21 per litre.

Why consider Vietnamese olive oil in Vietnam? Because the cost of living there is less than in OZ unless you want to buy property in Hanoi /Saigon and probably some other places, and wages there are still less than in OZ. Vietnam and Cambodia both produce Olive Oil with Vietnam being the 56th largest exporter of Olive Oil in the world earning $22 700 presumably USD ($22.7k according to the OEC of which I seem to recall one of our former least notable politicians became head). Japan is the country that buys most of it.

So there you go!
Thanks Rob. Good Info.

And some more stuff from VN.

"A 3-story house facing two streets, Dinh Tien Hoang and Cau Go, with total area of 210 sq m and a front gate width of 8 meters is offered at VND420 billion, which means that one sq m is priced at VND2 billion.

Another house, 65 sq m, with the front gate width of 6 meters, facing Dinh Tien Hoang street is offered at VND70 billion, or VND1 billion, per sq m.

On Lo Su street, which is nearby, an 8-story house with a floor area of 100 sq m, has been put up for sale at VND86 billion, or VND860 million per sq m. The price is negotiable. The house is being leased for business.

On Hang Be street, a 4-storey house, 32 sq m, is offered at VND25 billion, or VND781 million per sq m. A Hang Bo street-front house, 260 sq m, is quoted at VND135 billion, or VND520 million per sq m. It is advertised as being located on the most advantageous position of the street with wide pavements. "

That is Hanoi's city-centre business district. Divide those numbers by about 16 325.699 at today's exchange rate. Call it 16 000 to make life easier although all computers have calculators ;1 000 000 000/16 000=1 000 000/16=$62 500 per square metre so for a 350 square metre block that comes to $5 794 250 OZD for a 350 sq metre block. And you thought Sydney was expensive...........There are 6 million people in Hanoi, last time I counted. At 8 to 12.5 square metres per floor that would keep one fit,, running up and down stairs. However, wide pavements give you the opportunity to run an outdoor Fish'n'Chip shop.

So there you go!
There you go!
???

I have always bought extra virgin olive oil. This week I shopped at Woolworths and was shocked at the price rises. I ended up buying Canola oil simply because of the price difference. I prefer Olive oil for the health benefits, but not at those prices!