Are shoppers ditching ALDI for Woolworths?

The Australian supermarket scene is a battlefield, with giants like Woolworths, Coles, and ALDI vying for the loyalty of customers.

As a seasoned shopper, Jo Abi from 9Honey has been a faithful ALDI customer for nearly two decades, relying on the supermarket’s discounted prices to feed her family during tough times.

However, recently, she found herself straying from ALDI’s aisles and wandering into Woolworths and Coles more frequently.

She shares why below.

According to a survey by Finder, 48 per cent of Aussie shoppers prefer Woolworths, followed by Coles at 39 per cent and ALDI at 10 per cent.

The remaining shoppers frequent independent stores like their local IGA.

pexels-emirkhan-bal-953864.jpg
Jo Abi from 9Honey shared why she’s ditching ALDI. Image credit: Pexels/emirkhan bal

Squaring this with ALDI’s reputation as a haven for budget finds, Abi shared her observation.

‘In terms of cost and amid the current cost-of-living crisis, this just doesn't make sense.
But it does if you look at other factors that determine people's supermarket choice,’ she explained.

Adam Ferrier, a Consumer Psychologist and Founder of Thinkerbell, suggested that the popularity of Woolworths and Coles over ALDI can be attributed to two main reasons: a more engaging shopping experience and convenience.

‘People go to the closest supermarket to them,’ he shared.

‘Location accounts for the most variance in supermarket preference, and both Coles and Woolworths have many more locations than ALDI.’

Meanwhile, Jo stated that ALDI's shopping experience can be described as 'no-frills'.

‘Their product range remains largely unchanged, focusing on providing customers with a simplified, cost-effective shopping experience,’ she said.

Peter Resanceff, a Consumer Psychologist, Behaviouralist, and Brand Strategist, supported this statement. He said that ALDI's business model is 'about saving the consumer money’.

However, this approach may not appeal to all shoppers.

‘By providing customers with a pared-back and simplified supermarket shopping experience, they aim to cut out unnecessary costs and pass these savings on to customers,’ he explained.

‘But therein lies the rub—certain aspects of this simplified business model necessarily result in a shopping experience that doesn't suit every type of shopper.’

Social stigma also plays a role in this situation.

It is believed that in the early days of ALDI's Australian presence, there was a certain stigma attached to shopping at the discount supermarket.

‘I recall running into fellow school mums at ALDI who seemed defensive about being seen there,’ Jo stated.

However, Ferrier believes ALDI has largely overcome this stigma, positioning itself as a place for smart, savvy shoppers.

‘I think ALDI have positioned themselves very well in the market as a place where smart, savvy shoppers shop,’ he said.

‘They've substantiated this well with a quirky tone that makes shopping there feel both cheap but also fun.’

The larger chains, Woolworths and Coles, also have the capacity to add value and create memorable shopping experiences.

‘They have trialled quiet hours and hours with lower sensory stimulation, however, could they do the opposite and have disco hour, or singles nights and try and make the shopping experience more of an experience,’ Ferrier shared.

Beyond price, the quality of products is a significant factor for Australian shoppers. 'Very few shoppers actually shop for the lowest costs baskets,' Ferrier said. 'Most wouldn't know.'

Meanwhile, Resanceff pointed out that ALDI's limited product range often necessitates a trip to Woolworths, Coles, or greengrocers to complete a shopping list.

‘So many ALDI shoppers also visit Coles and Woolies for the things they can't get from ALDI,’ he claimed.

In the end, the choice of supermarket often comes down to a combination of factors, including price, product range, quality, location, and shopping experience. As consumers, understanding these factors can help us make informed decisions and get the best value for our money.
Key Takeaways
  • Most Australian grocery shoppers prefer shopping at Woolworths and Coles over ALDI, with location and convenience being significant factors in their choice.
  • Consumer psychologists suggest that Woolies and Coles offer a more engaging shopping experience, which may win over some shoppers, despite ALDI's cost savings.
  • ALDI's business model is centred on a simplified shopping experience designed to save consumers money, but it may not cater to all shopping preferences due to a limited range of products.
  • Many shoppers find themselves visiting multiple retailers, including ALDI, Woolworths, Coles, and local grocers, to complete their shopping lists, reflecting varying consumer needs and shopping habits.
So, where do you prefer to do your grocery shopping? Do you stick to one supermarket, or do you shop around? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
I'm one who visits multiple retailers, plus I buy bread at Baker's Delight. Everyone's needs are different, but there's no way I can do all my weekly shopping at Aldi, as it doesn't stock what I require.

We shop at Aldi first, after the fruit and veggie shop, then Woolies. Coles for specials and items not at Woolies

Aldi is far too inconsistent with some stock. There one week, then never to be seen again. It has no atmosphere.

In Italy, the Aldi shops have music. Not in Australia. The Italians could not understand why we didn’t have music in the Australian Aldi stores.

It definitely has a "no frills" layout. Sometimes a tad chaotic, but it does have some excellently priced, unique products.

We have coles, Woolies and Aldi at our local shopping centre but I prefer Coles. Aldi used to be cheaper but not anymore. It’s only cheaper by 1 cent on most of the products that I buy and I don’t pack my own groceries for a 1 cent saving.
Woolworths meat is terrible and they charge $15 for home delivery which I can get for $2 at Coles.
I still check out their specials each week and as they are so close together can visit all 3 if there is something I can’t live without plus I know where everything is in Coles.

I find those statistics very hard to believe.
Aldi consistently comes out top of the majority of surveys taken over the years.
As a long time shopper at Aldi I find their goods of high quality and extremely well priced.
As one person commented, they do not always have a full range, and sometimes things disappear from their shelves permanently. However, overall their pricing and quality far outweigh that inconvenience.
I do my weekly food shopping at Coles and a twice monthly food stock-up at Aldi.
Woolworths does not figure much on my shopping list and, doing my own little survey, most people I know shop at Aldi or Coles.
It would also seem convenient this survey has been released when Woolworths has come under fire for their pricing tactics.

We shop at Aldi first, after the fruit and veggie shop, then Woolies. Coles for specials and items not at Woolies

Aldi is far too inconsistent with some stock. There one week, then never to be seen again. It has no atmosphere.

In Italy, the Aldi shops have music. Not in Australia. The Italians could not understand why we didn’t have music in the Australian Aldi stores.

It definitely has a "no frills" layout. Sometimes a tad chaotic, but it does have some excellently priced, unique products.
Thank heavens they don't have music.... drives me bonkers with those squealing tapes they play in other retailers

We had always shopped at woolworths and Cole's but after so much controversy with their less than stellar pricing practices and treatment of suppliers we are only buying what we absolutely need to there and shopping elsewhere for as much as we can. The big 2 are shameful and the more people vote with their feet the better

Reactions: IAN3005
I shop at Aldi because nearly everything I but is half the price than Coles and WW. The olny time I shop at WW or Coles is if I run out of something because the Aldi store is 80km away. And yes I still save money after paying for fuel because I also shop at other stores with price lower that my local town.

Reactions: KaraJenna
Aldi isn't nearly half the price of other's as someone posted here.
The meat, fish & poultry is roughly the same as the big 2. Fresh produce is only marginally cheaper, sometimes on par. They've upped many of their dairy products in the last 12 months. Eggs & some frozen food prices are almost on par. IGA have specials that beat the big 2 frequently. They do have some good deals on their special buys, however not enough stock and frequently unavailable when advertised.

Reactions: KaraJenna
We have to remember that when Coles and Woollies make some products cheaper they have made other products dearer so that cover more than their losses in the so called deals people, are the eyes open yet

We had always shopped at woolworths and Cole's but after so much controversy with their less than stellar pricing practices and treatment of suppliers we are only buying what we absolutely need to there and shopping elsewhere for as much as we can. The big 2 are shameful and the more people vote with their feet the better
Keep up the good work..... we only need 12,000,000 to do the same and there will be a change of tune......

We have to remember that when Coles and Woollies make some products cheaper they have made other products dearer so that cover more than their losses in the so called deals people, are the eyes open yet
Smart thinking... we need more people like you who are awake to their tricks....

The thing I dislike about Aldi is their skeleton staff, so there's minimal Aussie workers employed.
It's even worse now they have installed 2 rows of self-serve checkouts with my 3 local Aldi stores. There's only one manned checkout if it ever gets busy.
People say it's to keep costs down, but I'm not convinced. It's saving $ for the Albrecht family in Germany.

I get ayored when Woolworths delete items that are important to my diet. The make you shop else whare

I get ayored when Woolworths delete items that are important to my diet. The make you shop else whare

Here in WA we have SPUD SHED an ever increasing presence in the supermarket chain. Vegetables and Meat along with a good range of Sea Food at prices often lower than the big 3 is a staple for me.Followed by Aldi then either Coles or Woolies depending on who has what I need cheaper.

Here in WA we have SPUD SHED an ever increasing presence in the supermarket chain. Vegetables and Meat along with a good range of Sea Food at prices often lower than the big 3 is a staple for me.Followed by Aldi then either Coles or Woolies depending on who has what I need cheaper.
Having lived in Perth for a mere six days, I have yet to experience the nearest Spud Shed, which is at Bentley. I have signed up to their weekly newsletter and their specials do look very reasonable.