Google Maps’ new green features could change how you travel and protect the environment!

It's heartening to see technology giants like Google taking steps to promote environmental sustainability.

Google Maps, a tool that has become indispensable for navigation and travel, is set to introduce green features to encourage Australians to make more eco-friendly travel choices.

This initiative couldn't come at a better time, as we all look for ways to reduce our carbon footprint and contribute to the health of our planet.

Google Maps Director Andrew Foster announced the new features on Earth Day, 22 April.

They are designed to encourage Australian travellers to choose more sustainable transport options.

shutterstock_2364303489.jpg
Help save the environment with Google Maps’ green features. Credit: Shutterstock

For those accustomed to driving, Google Maps will now offer the most fuel-efficient route.

This is a significant development, as it uses artificial intelligence to identify paths that consume the least energy, even if they take a bit longer than the usual route.

Moreover, Google Maps users will soon be able to specify the type of vehicle they're driving—be it petrol, hybrid, diesel, or electric—to help the app determine the most energy-efficient route for them.

But the green features don't stop there.

In a move that could revolutionise urban travel, users in Sydney and Melbourne will soon see suggestions for public transport or walking alternatives if these options offer similar or faster travel times.

‘This feature prompts people to consider more environmentally friendly alternatives,’ Foster said.

‘It builds on our long-standing partnerships with local transport authorities to promote public transport and provide real-time information.’

The new feature will launch in Australia’s two biggest cities in the ‘coming weeks’.

In addition to these route optimisation features, Google Maps will make it easier for electric vehicle owners to find nearby charging stations.

This global update will first appear in vehicles with Google software built-in.

It's worth noting that Apple also introduced details of electric vehicle charging stations in its mapping app in 2022, although this feature is currently limited to some high-end vehicles in the United States.

If you love using Google Maps, here’s a trick you may want to try!

In a previous story, a woman shared a handy travel trick, saying that it could also be a great tool for planning your itinerary throughout the day. You can check out the trick here.
Key Takeaways
  • Google Maps will introduce new features to encourage more sustainable transport choices among Australian travellers.
  • The app will show the most fuel-efficient route and locate electric vehicle charging stations for users.
  • In Sydney and Melbourne, Google Maps will suggest public transport or walking alternatives if they are more time-efficient than driving.
  • The updates are part of Google's effort to celebrate Earth Day and promote environmental protection.
Do you think these features change the way you travel? Do you think technology can play a significant role in promoting sustainability? Share your views in the comments below!

Reactions: PattiB
Sponsored
I use Google maps app on my phone, laptop and tablet to check routes, but my car has a built in sat nav with whatever maps it has on it and I use that for navigation.
I wouldn't use any other transport except my car. 👍

This country does contributea almost nothing to the world’s carbon footprint. This is just another part of the brainwashing process

I love Google Maps, but it's not infallible. My first and last attempt to get to the Mount Archer Lookout, from Rockhampton CBD, which took me to a dead-end bush track halfway to Zilzie was proof enough....

Reactions: maggiej
I have found with these different Sat Navs that they send you a long way around to get to where you want to go. Many a time they have said go here or there but as I have driven quite a number of years and previously used a road map I know the best way. One instance was that we were leaving our house to start that was right but then I was heading towards Gt Eastern highway and the sat nav at the next junction from our house said turn left then turn right. Well we would have ended up in Fremantle or going some other long way with further directions.
If I am going somewhere that I have never been I check my Road MAP first.

• Haha
Reactions: maurice wildish
Google maps in regional WA in most instances are really iffy and a recipe for getting lost, which often happens to the many tourists that come down our way each year. When we built our new home here friends and family complained about not being able to find us, obviously no surprise that Street View was not available but it did come as a surprise to discover that the section of street that we live on is not included, instead the road that runs alongside us with a completely different name is shown as the location for our address. Apparently, according to the local residents, when Google was last in the town filming the roads and houses, when it came to our section of road they literally drove straight past it and onto the road alongside of ours. As they (Google) only Film in our Area every Five years, it will take a while for us to become visible on their mapping until then we will continue to have a peacefull life, only irritated by the need to give very detailed instructions on how to find us to the people that we actually want to see.

GOOGLE is doing nothing else but track your movements. I never take my mobile phone out of the house....... I don't care what anyone says.....

Reactions: Lolali