Never get lost again, thanks to this woman's genius Google Maps hack

Travelling to a new place is exciting. But it can also be tricky – it can take lots of research offline and online, not to mention countless hours mapping out all of your must-see attractions, hotels and eateries.

To combat the stress brought on by planning and organising the trip, a woman shared a brilliant travel hack that can save you time, effort, and even phone data.

A social media user named Jessica shared a very clever trick to make holidays (or a quick visit to a new city, perhaps?) stress-free.

In the video she uploaded to TikTok, which has now gone viral with almost 5 million views, Jessica shows how to make a Google map to help you plan your trip and stay organised. Jessica also said she always uses this trick to save time and phone data.

‘It has come to my attention that not everyone plans a trip this way, and ever since I started doing this, I can’t look back,’ she said in the clip.

jess1.jpg
Jessica received praise for this clever travel trick. Credit: jessicawantsanap/TikTok

First, she suggested making a Google Map first by searching for Google My Maps, then start pinning ideas you gather from the internet, such as the places you’d like to see or restaurants or shops you’d like to try, and pin them on the map.

‘You've got all these ideas from TikTok and Instagram so what you are going to do is actually pin them all onto the map. And organise them by groups like attractions and activities and food,’ she said.

Jessica also recommended people add important transportation hubs like airports or train stations to visualise how close they are to where you’re going or where you currently are.

According to Jessica, travellers can also search the internet for the best places to visit or stay and compare them to the pre-planned map. But this isn’t the only advantage of having an offline map with you.

Jessica said that this is also useful for planning your itinerary for the day because this lets you see which attractions are close to you.

‘Another really great thing about this is you can more easily plan days. This is also really helpful because sometimes you just wander, you explore, you deviate from the itinerary, but you can pull this map up at any time just to see where you are close to,’ she explained.

jess2.jpg
The hack is also useful for planning an itinerary. Credit: Nataliya Vaitkevich/Pexels

More than 900,000 people have liked Jessica’s travel tips, and thousands of viewers praised her practical advice.

‘You tackle the world theme park style,’ one woman said.

Another shared: ‘The way I’ve spent hours googling every address to see how close/far they we’re away from the hotel or attractions…thank you!’

‘This is legitimately the best, most practical travel advice I have ever come across on this app,’ another explained.

‘I didn’t know I could create a map, but I’ve just been saving spots on my Google maps for years. Thanks for the tip,’ one more declared.

‘I had no idea this was a thing we can do. Thanks!’

Others shared that they’ve been doing ‘the same thing’ for a while now.

‘Yes! I’ve been making personal Google Maps for years,’ someone shared.

Another revealed: ‘I do this, but with regular Google Maps. I’ve had bad luck with this side of Google Maps…You can’t easily access reviews, images, etc.’

‘Oh! I have always done this but just using normal Google maps and creating lists for each city. I like that you can organise these by categories!’ Someone added.

Another person shared they’ve been doing this for a long time, and it has ‘revolutionised’ how they explore cities during holidays.

You can watch Jessica’s video below:

This comes after a plane seating ‘hack’ divided the internet. One woman took to Twitter to ask a simple question.

‘People who fly as couples, do you book the aisle and window (seats) and gamble on an empty middle seat? And people who fly solo: do you hate it when couples do this?’ she added. According to the woman (and some people who answered her question), some people are actually booking window and aisle seats in the hopes of no one wanting to book the seat in between (at least in planes with three seats on window sides).

You can read more details (and what other people have to say) here.
Key Takeaways
  • A woman's TikTok video sharing a handy travel hack has amassed almost 5 million views.
  • The hack involves creating a Google My Map and pinning ideas from TikTok and Instagram.
  • The map is useful for directions and also for planning your itinerary for the day.
  • Viewers praised the tip, adding that it would save a lot of time and suggested downloading the map to be used offline.
Do you have a planning method you like to use when it comes to trips? Let us know in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Maybe those couples who wish to have a window and aisle seat with nobody sitting between them should just book the three seats. Problem solved