S

Sean Camara

Get the Most Out of Your Tea Bags: 6 Ways to Reuse Them in the Garden

You make a cup of tea using a tea bag, and then you throw away the tea bag. Sounds familiar, right? Many of us don't think twice about it, but could we be getting more value out of the humble tea bag?

Well, as it turned out, there are a number of ways you can put your used tea bags to good use – and your plants will thank you for it!

TikTok user Armen Adamjan, better known for his username @creative_explained, has shared some tips on how to reuse your tea bags for your gardening needs.

Credit: TikTok/@creative_explained

Before we share these useful tips, please note that all tea variants (unless otherwise specified) can be used for these tricks, Now let’s begin!

For starters, the home hacks expert said that you can use a used tea bag to sprout seeds. Just poke a small hole in the bag and plant some seeds inside. Then, put the bag in a zip lock bag. The seeds will sprout quickly because the tea leaves provide nutrients that aid them with germinating.

You can also use a used tea bag to improve the quality of the soil and drainage for repotted plants. Just drop a few tea bags in the ground or pot where you will place your plant. The tea bags will help to increase the soil quality and moisture retention by absorbing water whenever you water your plants.

Another great tip is to use the tea bags to make a plant mist. Simply steep the teabags in a cup of hot water and let the 'tea mist' cool before transferring it to a spray bottle. Mist your seedlings with the solution to save them and promote healthier growth.

The tea leaves contain nitrogen, a chemical that is often found in fertilisers. So, when you steep tea, the nitrogen in the tea leaves activates and spraying the liquid on the plant will help it thrive.

If you want your seedlings to grow even faster, try soaking your seeds in camomile tea. The tea will soften the outer layer of the seeds, which will make them sprout faster.

Finally, if you're looking to add some extra nutrients to your plants, you can also water them with the tea you prepared from the used tea bags. The tea will help to increase the oxygen levels in the soil and will also keep cats away!

The video has captured the attention of thousands of users, who were left gobsmacked by the 'waste-free' hacks.

One person wrote: 'Seriously! I’m sitting here in my garden and I am just amazed by all these wonderful hacks you have! Keep them coming! You rock!'

'Thanks for sharing, enjoy all your tips, very helpful,' another added.

Many people commended Armen for his 'eco-friendly' ways to address his gardening issues.

One comment read: 'You are so passionate about plants and environment-friendly, great to see you.'

'I like you - you are so environmentally friendly you are so cool,' another agreed.

EPxLfKBb1HRjMwn3dk8kJVUQxOylVClBrRKfdoWiSzsSOud1NrLPH_9wVhhnyIbrDmXD9vaKzpJhTjWujP-A5Dk5JHMI1-kFWlAqCQ31xH1JKZw5HrwNORC70R67GcTGN46IaL6kgfHoFSZy_ZtQsw

Armen advised against throwing away the used tea bags as you can use them for various gardening needs. Credit: emedihealth.com.au.

Some took the opportunity to share their tips.

One user recommended: 'You can grow actual chamomile from tea bags if u just sprinkle the bag contents on soil and plants will grow. the flowers can be harvested for fresh tea.'

Here’s a summary you can return to whenever you need it.

SIX WAYS YOU CAN REUSE TEA BAGS FOR GARDENING

1. Sprout seeds

Poke a small hole, and plant some seeds. Put it in a zip lock bag. The seeds will sprout super fast!

2. Improve soil quality and drainage for transplanted plants

Drop a few tea bags in the hole where you will place your plant. The tea bags will increase the soil quality and improve drainage and retain moisture.

3 Use as plant mist

Misting your seedlings with tea saves them and promotes healthier growth and keeps pests away.

4. Grow seedlings fast

Soaking your seeds in camomile tea softens the outer layer, which makes them sprout faster!

5. Oxidise the soil

Sprinkling the tea leaves directly on the soil increases the oxygen levels in it. It also keeps cats away.

6. Add nutrients to your plant

Water your plants with the tea you prepared from the used tea bags.

In a world constantly on the go, it is always nice to have a moment to relax with a hot cup of tea after a long day.

Now, that we know we can do so much more with our tea bags, it's even more appealing to turn the kettle on and prepare some much-loved cuppa.

Do you know other tips for reusing tea bags? Share them with us in the comments below!

Love tea! Lots of great tips.
Tea isn't like it used to be. It's all ground like ground coffee.
No difference between loose leaf tea and teabags ... all ground these days.
Their reason is because it steeps quicker.
Once putting used tea leaves down the sink would clog the drain, but ground tea these days wouldn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I allow the teabags to dry out, then, when in my garden, I tear them open and empty the contents onto the azaleas. I then put the empty tea bag into my Fogo food waste bin for composting with the Council.
That's perfect! Are there certain teabag brands that will compost or doesn't it matter?

Reactions: Ricci
You make a cup of tea using a tea bag, and then you throw away the tea bag. Sounds familiar, right? Many of us don't think twice about it, but could we be getting more value out of the humble tea bag?

Well, as it turned out, there are a number of ways you can put your used tea bags to good use – and your plants will thank you for it!

TikTok user Armen Adamjan, better known for his username @creative_explained, has shared some tips on how to reuse your tea bags for your gardening needs.

Before we share these useful tips, please note that all tea variants (unless otherwise specified) can be used for these tricks, Now let’s begin!

For starters, the home hacks expert said that you can use a used tea bag to sprout seeds. Just poke a small hole in the bag and plant some seeds inside. Then, put the bag in a zip lock bag. The seeds will sprout quickly because the tea leaves provide nutrients that aid them with germinating.

You can also use a used tea bag to improve the quality of the soil and drainage for repotted plants. Just drop a few tea bags in the ground or pot where you will place your plant. The tea bags will help to increase the soil quality and moisture retention by absorbing water whenever you water your plants.

Another great tip is to use the tea bags to make a plant mist. Simply steep the teabags in a cup of hot water and let the 'tea mist' cool before transferring it to a spray bottle. Mist your seedlings with the solution to save them and promote healthier growth.

The tea leaves contain nitrogen, a chemical that is often found in fertilisers. So, when you steep tea, the nitrogen in the tea leaves activates and spraying the liquid on the plant will help it thrive.

If you want your seedlings to grow even faster, try soaking your seeds in camomile tea. The tea will soften the outer layer of the seeds, which will make them sprout faster.

Finally, if you're looking to add some extra nutrients to your plants, you can also water them with the tea you prepared from the used tea bags. The tea will help to increase the oxygen levels in the soil and will also keep cats away!

The video has captured the attention of thousands of users, who were left gobsmacked by the 'waste-free' hacks.

One person wrote: 'Seriously! I’m sitting here in my garden and I am just amazed by all these wonderful hacks you have! Keep them coming! You rock!'

Many people commended Armen for his 'eco-friendly' ways to address his gardening issues.

One comment read: 'You are so passionate about plants and environment-friendly, great to see you.'

'I like you - you are so environmentally friendly you are so cool,' another agreed.

EPxLfKBb1HRjMwn3dk8kJVUQxOylVClBrRKfdoWiSzsSOud1NrLPH_9wVhhnyIbrDmXD9vaKzpJhTjWujP-A5Dk5JHMI1-kFWlAqCQ31xH1JKZw5HrwNORC70R67GcTGN46IaL6kgfHoFSZy_ZtQsw

Armen advised against throwing away the used tea bags as you can use them for various gardening needs. Credit: emedihealth.com.au.

One user recommended: 'You can grow actual chamomile from tea bags if u just sprinkle the bag contents on soil and plants will grow. the flowers can be harvested for fresh tea.'

In a world constantly on the go, it is always nice to have a moment to relax with a hot cup of tea after a long day.

Now, that we know we can do so much more with our tea bags, it's even more appealing to turn the kettle on and prepare some much-loved cuppa.

Do you know other tips for reusing tea bags? Share them with us in the comments below!

Thanks heaps for these hacks love the info. So helpful.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

Great tips indeed. I have always added tea bags, minus the string but include the label, to the worm farm.

Reactions: Ricci