Former Olympian Lisa Curry’s shocking health news

We all know that maintaining our health is important, and one way to do that is by regularly visiting our doctors for check-ups.

But even if we go for our yearly appointment and everything seems fine, there's always the chance that something could be lurking just below the surface – as was the case for former Olympic swimmer Lisa Curry.

During a live interview on The Morning Show, the 60-year-old athlete announced she was diagnosed with Atrial fibrillation, which is a heart condition that causes irregular and often abnormally fast heart rate.

Sharing the health update with hosts Kylie Gillies and Larry Emdur, Lisa said she was hospitalised twice this year.

‘I don’t know where I got that from, it just appeared.’

swim.jpg
The swimmer said her atrial fibrillation ‘just appeared’. Credit: Pixabay in Pexels

Atrial fibrillation is characterised by an irregularly fast heart rate – in some cases, the heart beats higher than 100 beats per minute. It also causes dizziness, shortness of breath, and tiredness, as well as heart palpitations. However, sometimes the disease does not have any symptoms, and a person who has atrial fibrillation might not be aware that their heartbeat is irregular.

‘My doctor said I have to be weaned off alcohol and coffee,’ Lisa explained. While she said that she’d been doing just that, she also described that she was having it rough.

Lisa also revealed that she is currently taking Beta blockers, which help slow down the heart by blocking the actions of hormones such as adrenaline. However, tiredness and dizziness are known side effects of this medicine.

‘There’s a lot going on,’ she shared.

lisa.jpg
Lisa touched upon the topic of her health during a live interview. Credit: The Morning Show/Facebook

Before her diagnosis, Lisa was hospitalised due to chest pains. She attributed it to ‘heartache’ over losing her daughter Jaimi, who passed after a long battle with an undisclosed illness. Jaimi was only 33 years old.

‘It’s day five after coming in with chest pain, a wide squeezing band around my chest and back. All my tests are good. Everyone is stumped,’ she said in an Instagram post in July 2021.

‘You can’t test for heartache.’

She also underwent surgery in 2008 for a heart condition and had a defibrillator implanted which would remain with her for the rest of her life.

Lisa had a second surgery for Myocarditis, which is an inflammation of the heart muscle, in 2015.

You can watch her interview below:

Some symptoms of atrial fibrillation include:
  • Chest pain that comes and goes.
  • Chest pain that goes away quickly.
  • There’s a sudden change in your heartbeat.
  • Your heart rate is consistently lower than 60, or above 100.
  • You feel dizzy or have shortness of breath.
If you notice any of the above, schedule an appointment with your doctor to make sure your heart is in shape.
Key Takeaways

• Lisa Curry has announced she has atrial fibrillation, a heart condition that causes an irregular and often abnormally fast heart rate.
  • The 60-year-old from the Sunshine Coast revealed her diagnosis during a live interview on The Morning Show on November 22.
  • Curry said that, as a result of her diagnosis, she is now on Beta blockers which help treat her condition but also make her tired.
What can you say about Lisa’s revelation? Let us know in the comments section! Please remember to schedule regular appointments with your GP to get medical advice if you feel that something is not right with your body.

Sponsored
It's so important to go for regular check ups and to be able to talk to your doctor about anything you feel is not right.
Secret is to have a good doctor who listens to you.

I have followed Lisa on Instagram for a few years and the heart break she went through and still is from losing her daughter to suicide is a pain that will stay with her for a very long time.
Her pain was shown in her post where I thought she was going to get sick.
My prayers 🙏 are with her to get strong both physically and mentally

We all know that maintaining our health is important, and one way to do that is by regularly visiting our doctors for check-ups.

But even if we go for our yearly appointment and everything seems fine, there's always the chance that something could be lurking just below the surface – as was the case for former Olympic swimmer Lisa Curry.

During a live interview on The Morning Show, the 60-year-old athlete announced she was diagnosed with Atrial fibrillation, which is a heart condition that causes irregular and often abnormally fast heart rate.

Sharing the health update with hosts Kylie Gillies and Larry Emdur, Lisa said she was hospitalised twice this year.

‘I don’t know where I got that from, it just appeared.’

View attachment 9377
The swimmer said her atrial fibrillation ‘just appeared’. Credit: Pixabay in Pexels

Atrial fibrillation is characterised by an irregularly fast heart rate – in some cases, the heart beats higher than 100 beats per minute. It also causes dizziness, shortness of breath, and tiredness, as well as heart palpitations. However, sometimes the disease does not have any symptoms, and a person who has atrial fibrillation might not be aware that their heartbeat is irregular.

‘My doctor said I have to be weaned off alcohol and coffee,’ Lisa explained. While she said that she’d been doing just that, she also described that she was having it rough.

Lisa also revealed that she is currently taking Beta blockers, which help slow down the heart by blocking the actions of hormones such as adrenaline. However, tiredness and dizziness are known side effects of this medicine.

‘There’s a lot going on,’ she shared.

View attachment 9376
Lisa touched upon the topic of her health during a live interview. Credit: The Morning Show/Facebook

Before her diagnosis, Lisa was hospitalised due to chest pains. She attributed it to ‘heartache’ over losing her daughter Jaimi, who passed after a long battle with an undisclosed illness. Jaimi was only 33 years old.

‘It’s day five after coming in with chest pain, a wide squeezing band around my chest and back. All my tests are good. Everyone is stumped,’ she said in an Instagram post in July 2021.

‘You can’t test for heartache.’

She also underwent surgery in 2008 for a heart condition and had a defibrillator implanted which would remain with her for the rest of her life.

Lisa had a second surgery for Myocarditis, which is an inflammation of the heart muscle, in 2015.

You can watch her interview below:

Some symptoms of atrial fibrillation include:
  • Chest pain that comes and goes.
  • Chest pain that goes away quickly.
  • There’s a sudden change in your heartbeat.
  • Your heart rate is consistently lower than 60, or above 100.
  • You feel dizzy or have shortness of breath.
If you notice any of the above, schedule an appointment with your doctor to make sure your heart is in shape.
Key Takeaways

• Lisa Curry has announced she has atrial fibrillation, a heart condition that causes an irregular and often abnormally fast heart rate.
  • The 60-year-old from the Sunshine Coast revealed her diagnosis during a live interview on The Morning Show on November 22.
  • Curry said that, as a result of her diagnosis, she is now on Beta blockers which help treat her condition but also make her tired.
What can you say about Lisa’s revelation? Let us know in the comments section! Please remember to schedule regular appointments with your GP to get medical advice if you feel that something is not right with your body.

There are many of us that have arterial fibrillation and have no more symptoms than just an irregular heartbeat. I am one of them! I thank goodness for not having more severe symptoms.

I have the same problem as Lisa With my heart. I’m sorry she has gone through so much over the last few years

i go into hospital on the 7th December to have a Monitor inserted for the same problem so I do understand what she has been going through
Stay strong. I hope all goes well for you on the 7th and that your recovery is swift. :)

I have a friend who was diagnosed with broken heart syndrome after her brother died, with whom she was very close.
She presented with severe chest pain, shortness of breath, irregular heart beat and weak heart beat.
She is unable to have general anaesthetics for to her condition.
She seems to be stabilising now, after years of suffering.

I have a friend who was diagnosed with broken heart syndrome after her brother died, with whom she was very close.
She presented with severe chest pain, shortness of breath, irregular heart beat and weak heart beat.
She is unable to have general anaesthetics for to her condition.
She seems to be stabilising now, after years of suffering.
I too have been diagnosed with broken heart syndrome, it's a real thing, only really curable by time. ;)

I too have been diagnosed with broken heart syndrome, it's a real thing, only really curable by time. ;)
It most definitely is a genuine diagnosis.
Dear Ricci, I can only encourage you, and say,
"Give time to that which takes time."
Acknowledge it, accept it and adjust and adapt accordingly to your diagnosis.
Try to be patient.
Warmest thoughts coming your way.
💕💙

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
I have the same problem as Lisa With my heart. I’m sorry she has gone through so much over the last few years

i go into hospital on the 7th December to have a Monitor inserted for the same problem so I do understand what she has been going through
Wishing you all the best and prayers for you.

Reactions: Ricci