Find out what Sunrise's Sam Mac is diving into after welcoming his new baby girl!

In the ever-changing landscape of media and entertainment, it's not uncommon for personalities to explore new avenues and showcase different facets of their talents.

The beloved weatherman from a popular morning show in Australia has done just that with a surprising and heartwarming career move that's sure to delight fans and families alike.

Just weeks after the birth of his youngest daughter, Mabel, Sunrise weatherman Sam Mac has ventured into the world of children's literature with the release of his picture book, Suddenly One.

This charming book is not just a creative project for Mac; it's a deeply personal one, inspired by his own journey into fatherhood and the precious moments he's shared with his two daughters, Margot, aged two, and newborn Mabel.

‘When Margot turned one, you want to celebrate that and all those little moments that happen in that first year, so I just jotted down some thoughts,’ Mac explained on Tuesday, September 17.

Screenshot 2024-09-18 100713.jpg
Sunrise weatherman Sam Mac has released a heartwarming picture book, Suddenly One. Credit: Instagram / Sam Mac

‘(I was on a) long flight to Perth…(and) I thought, “Oh, maybe this could be a poem,”’ he continued.

‘So, a few days later, I refined it and posted it with some video to match the words, and it had over a million views overnight.’

‘It really took me by surprise, and (publishing house) Penguin got in touch and said, “We think that this is a universal experience. Everyone gets excited about their little ones and those first milestones. Let’s turn it into a picture book.”’

‘So, over the past year, we’ve been in the process of picking the illustrator, the wonderful Deb Hudson, and refining the text,’ the weatherman added.

Mac mentioned that the illustrations are not only vibrant and engaging but also hold special meaning for Mac, featuring tributes such as his late cat, Coco, and a father serenading his daughter with a guitar.

His hope for Suddenly One is that it becomes a cherished part of family reading time.

‘(I think it’s) for parents and grandparents to sit down and read it with their little ones,’ Mac said.

‘I hope what comes from the book is a great connection point for families. That’s what I’m excited to see.’

Mac and his partner, Rebecca James, welcomed their second daughter, Mabel August McMillan, on August 14.

They noted that their home has become quite chaotic with two young children.

‘It is hectic,’ Mac shared.

‘I mean, cluster feeding. Anyone familiar?’

‘It’s when the baby is feeding a lot more than normal breastfeeding. Like feeding every hour or so as opposed to every 3 or 4 hours,’ he added.

As Sam Mac and his partner Rebecca James navigate the whirlwind of welcoming their second daughter, Mabel August McMillan, they've been making headlines with their personal and professional updates.

Just weeks after the arrival of Mabel, Mac has unveiled a surprising new career move, capturing the public's attention once again.

This exciting development comes on the heels of their February announcement, where they revealed their anticipation for Mabel's arrival.

The connection between these significant moments highlights how personal milestones and career shifts often intersect in unexpected ways.
Key Takeaways

• Sunrise weatherman Sam Mac has published a heartwarming picture book titled Suddenly One.
  • The book was originally a poem written by Sam for his eldest daughter Margot’s first birthday and was adapted into a book after gaining significant online attention.
  • The illustration process was collaborative, with the book featuring artwork by Deb Hudson and including personal details like a tribute to Sam’s late cat Coco.
  • Sam Mac expressed his hope that the book will become a way for families, including parents and grandparents, to connect with their young ones.
Have you had a chance to read Suddenly One with your grandchildren? What are your favourite books to share with the younger members of your family? Share your stories and recommendations in the comments below, and let's celebrate the power of a good book to bring us all together.

Sponsored
I think that Mac is such an endearing man and obviously so proud to be a father. I wish he and his young family all the very best for the future. My favourite book to read to my grandsons was Hairy McCreary from Donaldsons Dairy. The book almost sings to you as you read it. … We loved it…

Wow, what a shame every parent doesn’t get the chance to write and publish a book about their experience as a parent. Most of them just get on with it. A book by sam Mac is a good enough reason for me not to buy it.