Feeling nostalgic? Check out these throwback images of Australian retailers!

Sometimes it can be a nice change of pace from the hustle and bustle of today’s world to take a moment to remember things the way they were.

As much as it seems strange to imagine a world where smartphones were non-existent, fast food wasn’t even a thing yet, and children didn’t spend their mornings glued to the telly (We know the classic gripe of every grandparent: ‘Kids these days…’), the fact is, that was the way things were back then.

Retailers are perhaps one good yardstick for looking into the past. Remember the times of old when mum and dad would take you along for a quick trip to your local? Do you recall how your eyes would sparkle when you saw a toy or lolly you adored?

Well, the images below are sure to take you on a trip down Aussie memory lane, retail style. Read on!

Myer Emporium, (Melbourne, Victoria)

3FnseZoK9-HjcRJ9el0I8Q6bZAblaB27HXaXym6rhfHieJY66m5iGi0UUVG45-Kx6DakKcS0F8JjRYOsrPX7QF_FriqkpSoQOW0Kg4Rk7xRROdpZQ9yvGTwKy34mSBWYR2C6sTnOQAO6m7fceXuB5n0S629wRvDXTeQy5Q1unNTJqsPflqiMeNZ4vA

The Myer Emporium was the third store to open in what is now a nationwide chain of retailers. Credit: 9news.com.au

This shot of the Myer Emporium was taken presumably in the 1920s (so a bit before our time!), showing what appears to be shoppers and onlookers standing by the storefront.

The emporium, a slice of Melbourne’s history, was built sometime around 1911 when owner and namesake Sidney Myer purchased lots along Bourke Street.

izQspzteNraxKCeyIlzlfG2OeyMQ7YBKOXRzbDeKwOzBUU-udoaZ59IKTLBeFVGgVi0QVYmLXMy8S_V6kauDroORjyzKpdkeRfzEdN6yw3brLaUW5WlrWwJf1_AJPfB1NWYcm3MNAr0juU9BCiE2Y9UMVC7dvL6hs6RHpNebBBp3VBDbZABdweQstg

Source:
Google Maps

Though loyal patrons mourned the closing of Myer’s Lonsdale street branch in 2007, the store along Bourke Street remains in operation. At present, Myer has 58 stores nationwide.

David Jones (Sydney, New South Wales)
ArZZndRn2IqWyLwFxEMzWtZzxistFzBb3dPqeUPlbGfWV419d7YbvWWtu40wE9xJk2c1Mx1bKMDAaH7YWg66DifwgFxGBTCezCY1kmWs8DOsr7Hi3pk-qVwA2Ld36lkOpjdF140ycSKUMs7NnQpgeMQT9BXA2JDPKEkt1CC3UuNoeV69GuxocogSRg

David Jones opened its first store in Sydney in 1838. Credit:
records.nsw.gov.au

This picture taken in 1950 shows the facade of David Jones’ flagship store in Sydney along with a sizable crowd of commuters.

The State Archives and Records section of the New South Wales Government site notes David Jones’ claim that they are the oldest operating department store still using their original trade name.

In addition, they also highlighted the fact that the site was where then-Queen Elizabeth II and then-Prince Philip participated in a State Banquet in their 1954 Royal Tour of Sydney.

EWwXHqjgFVse1MlTpTfr1n41ROSyHQ-9B6mG_VEutQzIrf6oneomFfgPv6iTUQsAHxc1h1ZzgKJfv-oUXAw5p7oB32SOkcNpGLkGV0wcxz_p6RDZmajtmRdB0VpMPpv5x_q41MX3-_o9VObdA5AmXgBufwAh5rjQF3GW4UdPZg_o4ItKfPpFJU0L8g

Source:
Google Maps

At present, the original site — and David Jones’ Sydney branch — is still standing.

The chain, bought by South Africa’s Woolworths in 2014, has over 40 stores in Australia.

2IcMIiAAMRmFPQ6R4Ku0pFSZq3VYe4s9aZecwyioKaDbN90O1gNv2GNssYiJs_K3rQDwafhCrpy8b8FeTcrCOuDtb7gG1qYOBbyNP81ju6_KJNAWVbMlR0aCG3h10xdT-uf_5GFibKekZt8m_i9WWlPCVKdm_ksTJCf2skTzN5YLKqFw9Mw34SLaCg

These buildings were once home to Grace Bros. in Sydney. Credit: 9news.com.au/Andrew Taylor/Fairfax Media

These twin facades were once the site of retailer Grace Bros., which was founded in 1885. The store then opened its iconic Sydney branch along the corner of Broadway and Bay Streets.

K0bcyYiKBzd8w3LeggmqC_JvQDk0msDflVC6mvMOy4BsCDKbhhM1brsZox66aOFeJ92sJGFd5RzPrCZiFYnivDmjwSAtsuNp7mKgbvEZZF-whiExrvfoST29aMbx71HHIY2oxOk0zgkd_KzYbemmoMp_l41WRyP3GK5ee-Oa0VpLewdORPpXU7cTkw

Source:
Google Maps

As of March 2022, half of this site is currently under construction according to Google Maps. Meanwhile, rival (and story co-entry!) Myer bought the Grace Bros. brand in 1983, but the name remained in use until 2004.

Wyper Brothers’ Ironmongery Department (Childers, Queensland)

rzh6L5GYyE3jV3eQa2Te7cXt_viPhvcerwYXP-5QgBNzcDBu-KlDC2x3l396hdSYOS8lx0ZP59jXLQ4TY6_kBdDCZhS0OcZNSTm8GcZByRikYWJnltXKhOgcnajfflGkc_AkMcy0BtW_No2jKmugF-cw1Qwfaiz1pHa6XJEScis0OuEhChS3eAAFpQ

Could these be the titular Wyper brothers? Credit: 9news.com.au/State Library of Queensland

This picture, taken in Childers town, Bundaberg, Queensland, in 1898 shows men standing at the counter of the Wyper Brothers’ Ironmongery Department.

Not much is available about the exact history of this picture. However, the Queensland Government’s registry of heritage areas thankfully reveals that the general area of Childers at the time was home to a thriving sugar mill industry, with at least four mills in operation by 1895.

3uSVCrAqY1P2iUQvm03wKc3swCTwF3a3fIplkVKbKh1KGAcZBhb1Ik-DiHD7lxOeKduCRc4fxygJIf3R_VTSXPQ6KdSwD0lQptwaG92F79bFTW7IVeu2RMAZNlbX8C9wyuCY01iuqp1SUm8d3p2J8mjoRZfiYhlO_HQRT5yHDIasmvZrFhiIXzFtGw

Source: Queensland Government/Google Maps

At present, the area where the store used to be could be like any other Australian outback storefront — but this one sure has a historic touch to it!

The Bundaberg Region website for Childers also includes an option to ‘explore’ the town’s ‘old-world’ charm by visiting over 20 heritage buildings.

How about you, members? Do you have any images of old buildings among your photos? Or maybe you have fond memories of how retail used to be? We’d love it if you shared them here in our Nostalgia forum!

Share your thoughts, opinions, and stories with us below!

Sponsored
Sadly, the David Jones' men's store on the corner of Market and Castlereagh Streets is no more. It is being converted into luxury apartments where no-one will live and some luxury boutiques where no-one can afford to shop. I avoid going into the City now as it is too revolting.
So pessimistic surely there is some positive to this story

Reactions: Ricci
I worked in Sydney for 40 years. I remember those buildings and travel on trams well. I revisited a few years ago and the things I noticed walking through the old streets and another member pointed out were the amount of high rise apartments and expensive stores, I also saw that most of the CBD is now owned by Chinese including the highrises(confirmed by my Chinese friend) I also noticed less traffic and how clean the air looked. I have a lot of good memories could write a book on what I saw and knew?

Reactions: Ricci
So pessimistic surely there is some positive to this story
Some are pessimistic because in a lot of ways life was easier for a lot back then. When you see the big changes and the way of life now where respect is not shown especially for elders I can understand their feelings. If you have some positives, maybe you could share and cheer people up, or change their minds a little.

Sadly, the David Jones' men's store on the corner of Market and Castlereagh Streets is no more. It is being converted into luxury apartments where no-one will live and some luxury boutiques where no-one can afford to shop. I avoid going into the City now as it is too revolting.
I walked past David Jones every day , then 2 years ago I noticed it looked like that section was closed. It was strange how part of DJs was on one corner and the other on the other corner.
I used to love seeing their window displays

I worked in The Dymocks Building George St Sydney for 14 years

This is beautiful inside , with the tiled floors, the old clock and to this day the old mail box.

The name on the outside of the building stands the old sign ' The Block '

images.jpeg-72.jpgimages.jpeg-73.jpgimages.jpeg-64.jpg

Reactions: JayKay
Oh what wonderful memories. I can see me on the corner in 1956 excited by by the Olympics, TV and Foys Santa. Thank you all
I was probably standing next to you!
My cousins grew up at Tallarook, I think it's the only place in the world with that name.
We used to spend a week in Tallarook every May school holidays.
Mum would take us up on the red rattler train one Saturday, she'd return to Melbourne on the Sunday to go to work.
The 3 of us spent a free week roaming the countryside with our cousins, then Mum would come back the following weekend to bring us home.
Oh, the memories!
I also have cousins in Seymour.
Hope you are doing OK with the floods.

I lived in Thornbury at this stage of my life and it was not until 1974 (another flood year) my late husband was transferred to Puckapunyal in the CBA.
Dennis was from Reservoir and spent most weekends rabbiting in Tallarook.
What a small world.