Fans voice concern over a popular brand’s “mysterious disappearance” from Woolworths and Coles, manufacturer responds

If you are a fan of Ryvita, you will notice that the iconic snack brand has been missing from the shelves of Woolworths and Coles stores over the past few weeks.

Fans of the brand's rye-based crispbread have been scratching their heads over the product's "mysterious disappearance", demanding to know the reason why major retailers have stopped selling the popular item.

s-S6-EVjRsAmjtSnSn5lK0y8bejI7hnque_krJ5HDfPRQfwrQLFauWogdC3L7B2kVj4VrKdBdmJ-iETO3BQ1-44cglLSCqMd1lVCXL2ngn_1mIj3daLGHgvr987lbKL3uGxyxVRmYLZ3f6-T

Fans were left scratching their heads after the Ryvita rye-based crispbread had gone “missing” from the shelves of Coles and Woolworths. Credit: Getty Images.

Taking their grievances to Facebook, shoppers posted their concerns on the company's Facebook page, asking if the production of the snack has stopped.

One shopper wrote: "Ryvita, stop posting ads for a product that is no longer available in major Australian supermarkets. Please explain the reason for the unavailability - has Ryvita been withdrawn from the Australian market?"

"Does anyone know if this is temporary or permanent? Would like to buy Ryvita again," another asked.

A third added: "What's happened to Ryvita supply in Queensland Australia? I haven’t been able to get it for weeks and weeks."

"I was told by a Woolworths staff member today that the line has now been deleted. Coles also still don't have it on their shelves in my area."

A Ryvita spokesperson confirmed that production of the product was limited due to the significant increase in costs to make and distribute the products.

The representative explained: "As a result, we have had to increase the prices at which we sell our products to retailers."

"Woolworths and Coles have declined to accept this increase and have made the decision to remove the sale of these products from their stores."

"You can still find our products at independent retailers under the IGA banner nationally."

The company also offered a similar explanation to the customers that were airing their grievances on its Facebook page, informing them that while the products are no longer available at the stores of Coles and Woolworths, shoppers can still purchase the item from most IGA stores in the country.

Fans of the snack were quick to point out that not everyone has access to an IGA store.

One frustrated fan said: "Really?? I don't have an IGA near me but I do have Coles & Woolworths. Does this mean that I can't buy Ryvita any more?"

Coles and Woolworths have yet to comment regarding the issue.

What are your thoughts on this? Also, if you're looking to make a rye crispbread from scratch, we recommend checking out this video:

Credit: YouTube/ScandinavianToday

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Personally I never liked the slices of cardboard but I understand that others find them irresistible. Is there an Australian equivalent for these people? If not I find Coles and Woolies decision quite bizarre as there is obviously money to be made.;)

It works both ways:
Let them re-introduce this product.
Then boycott it!
We need to stand up to being manipulated as to what Producers and Retailers want from us, other than FAT profits........

Fans voice concern over a popular brand’s “mysterious disappearance” from Woolworths and Coles, manufacturer responds

If you are a fan of Ryvita, you will notice that the iconic snack brand has been missing from the shelves of Woolworths and Coles stores over the past few weeks.

Fans of the brand's rye-based crispbread have been scratching their heads over the product's "mysterious disappearance", demanding to know the reason why major retailers have stopped selling the popular item.

s-S6-EVjRsAmjtSnSn5lK0y8bejI7hnque_krJ5HDfPRQfwrQLFauWogdC3L7B2kVj4VrKdBdmJ-iETO3BQ1-44cglLSCqMd1lVCXL2ngn_1mIj3daLGHgvr987lbKL3uGxyxVRmYLZ3f6-T

Fans were left scratching their heads after the Ryvita rye-based crispbread had gone “missing” from the shelves of Coles and Woolworths. Credit: Getty Images.

Taking their grievances to Facebook, shoppers posted their concerns on the company's Facebook page, asking if the production of the snack has stopped.

One shopper wrote: "Ryvita, stop posting ads for a product that is no longer available in major Australian supermarkets. Please explain the reason for the unavailability - has Ryvita been withdrawn from the Australian market?"

"Does anyone know if this is temporary or permanent? Would like to buy Ryvita again," another asked.

A third added: "What's happened to Ryvita supply in Queensland Australia? I haven’t been able to get it for weeks and weeks."

"I was told by a Woolworths staff member today that the line has now been deleted. Coles also still don't have it on their shelves in my area."

A Ryvita spokesperson confirmed that production of the product was limited due to the significant increase in costs to make and distribute the products.

The representative explained: "As a result, we have had to increase the prices at which we sell our products to retailers."

"Woolworths and Coles have declined to accept this increase and have made the decision to remove the sale of these products from their stores."

"You can still find our products at independent retailers under the IGA banner nationally."

The company also offered a similar explanation to the customers that were airing their grievances on its Facebook page, informing them that while the products are no longer available at the stores of Coles and Woolworths, shoppers can still purchase the item from most IGA stores in the country.

Fans of the snack were quick to point out that not everyone has access to an IGA store.

One frustrated fan said: "Really?? I don't have an IGA near me but I do have Coles & Woolworths. Does this mean that I can't buy Ryvita any more?"

What are your thoughts on this? Also, if you're looking to make a rye crispbread from scratch, we recommend checking out this video:

I think you will have to go to Aldi, I hope you have one near you. Maybe it might be to pricey 🤔🇦🇺👍

Reactions: Dee G and Ricci
I still have some in the pantry, maybe I should Auction it !! I have watched for years as Woolies and Coles removed various items from their shelves that I usually purchased when I asked why I was nearly always told that it was a space issue. products that sold less than others were automatically deleted to make room for more popular products I took that as meaning I was unusual in my likes and dislikes and different to everyone else. whatever, IGA will nearly always carry products that Coles and Woolies delete especially products that an older shopper (my generation in other words) is used to buying so YAY for IGA

I haven't checked at Woolies and Coles as I usually buy my Ryvita at Drakes Supermarkets (South Australian independent). I hope Drakes don't stop selling it! Hopefully Foodland in SA will also keep selling Ryvita.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Personally I never liked the slices of cardboard but I understand that others find them irresistible. Is there an Australian equivalent for these people? If not I find Coles and Woolies decision quite bizarre as there is obviously money to be made.;)
Objection, it is nice with nutty test and healthier than a slice of white bread.

Reactions: Ezzy, Liz and Ricci
It is all very well to say go to IGA or Aldi but what if you don't have either near you. Thank you Woolies and Coles, about time you took notice of what consumers want and leave products like this on your shelves. If I want to pay the price of an item I like, I will.:( And I agree about the Lattice biscuits as well.

big companies pay for more space on the shelfs so things are removed that don't sell as many so they squeeze the good things out and yes you most likely pick them up at IGA

Shame that manufacturing costs have reduced production & increased the cost of these popular biscuits. Together with a refusal by 2 popular retailers to stock them at a higher price to consumers, only to be available at IGA (for one), l wonder if this spells the death Nell for this product? I for one have enjoyed them for years plain or with butter & jam or as a sandwich with meat & salad between 2 biscuits. Perhaps the answer lies in another DIY as shown in the video?

Reactions: Chicky and Ricci