Expert issues warning on popular shopping app over data fears: ‘There is a risk’

In the digital age, the convenience of online shopping has become a staple in our daily lives, particularly for those who appreciate the ease of having goods delivered straight to our doorsteps.

However, with this convenience comes a responsibility to be vigilant about our online safety, especially when engaging with newer e-commerce platforms.

One platform that has caught the attention of cybersecurity experts is a budget online retailer, popular for its ultra-cheap household products.

Since its launch a year ago, PDD Holdings-owned Temu has seen millions of downloads and monthly users.

In Australia, 1.2 million people shop with the Temu app every month.

However, beneath the surface of bargain deals, a potential threat to customer's data privacy lurks.

Cybersecurity expert Susan McLean recently voiced her concerns on Sunrise, highlighting the inherent risks associated with online shopping.

compressed-temu 1.jpeg
Online shopping platform Temu has been a go-to for affordable goods, but it’s being questioned by experts for their cybersecurity policies. Image Credit: Temu Australia

'We know that Temu is collecting a lot of data,' McLean stated.

'But the problem is people simply download the app and click “I accept” without understanding what they're actually accepting.'

With the excitement of a new shopping avenue overshadowing the need to read the fine print, this is a common pitfall.

The issue, however, is not just about data collection.

McLean also pointed out the annoyance of being inundated with follow-up emails after making a purchase, a tactic used to keep customers engaged and potentially lead to further spending.

Graham Cooke, Head of Consumer Research at Finder, added another layer of caution, advising shoppers to be wary of the quality of off-brand merchandise sold on Temu.

Products may look similar to leading brands but often fall short in performance.

He used headphones and smartwatches as examples, where the items may appear identical to established brands but may lack sound quality, battery life, or compatibility with common operating systems.

Cooke also warned against the 'urgency' trap, where platforms create a false sense of scarcity and time pressure to encourage impulsive purchases.

This ‘gamification’ of shopping, he said, can be persuasive and could lead to regrettable decisions.

In response to these concerns, a Temu spokesperson has stated that it does not sell customer data and that its data practices are ‘in line with industry standards’.

‘At Temu, we prioritise the protection of privacy and are transparent about our data practices,’ they said.

‘Temu collects information for the sole purpose of providing and enhancing its e-commerce service to users. Temu does not ask for system permissions to access things like your photos, contacts, or location. Temu does not share financial data with vendors.’

Temu also maintains that it works with its online marketplace vendors to ensure accurate product descriptions.

They also implement a comprehensive system to identify and remove non-compliant products.

Despite these assurances, consumers must stay informed and cautious.

Here are some tips to help you stay safe while enjoying the benefits of online shopping:

1. Read the Privacy Policy: Take the time to understand what data they are collecting and its possible use.
  2. Monitor Your Accounts: Regularly check your bank statements for unauthorised transactions.
  3. Use Strong Passwords: Keep your accounts protected with strong, unique passwords.
  4. Be Sceptical of Urgency: Do not let time-limited offers pressure you into making quick decisions.
  5. Check Reviews: Look for reviews and feedback from other customers about product quality and their shopping experience.
Key Takeaways

• Cybersecurity experts have warned that online budget retailer Temu could be risking customers' data security.
  • The parent company PDD Holdings, now headquartered in Ireland, has a large user base with 1.2 million Australians using the app monthly.
  • Shoppers are advised to be cautious of the 'urgency trap' and to be aware of the quality of off-brand products that do not match leading brands' performance.
  • Temu insists that customer data is safe and their data practices align with industry standards, promising transparency and a commitment to privacy protection.
Have you used Temu or other online shopping platforms? What precautions do you take to ensure your online safety? Share your insights in the comments below.

Sponsored
i have not had one problem and have been using for over a year. in fact their goods are good and materials good. this is one persons thoughts. I have nothing to hide apart from my drivers licence. once caught twice shy.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I have bought several items from Temu now. Items l was not happy with l contacted their HELP LINE, typed in my concern/s & was given an immediate refund with the option of an immediate credit or wait a period of time to have this paid back into my account. I always opt for immediate credit & no product is ever returned, so l receive a refund & keep the faulty product.
My chief complaint was with the courier who uses private cars with no company markings. Deliveries were left anywhere out the front of our home in clear view of the road. My complaint saw this changed to AustPost & deliveries placed out of sight giving me greater peace of mind.

• Angry
Reactions: Jest
So many on this site have been whingeing about the cost of living and accusing retailers of putting prices up, then there are even more of you complaining about the CHEAP & NASTY quality we are getting from China etc.

Which one would you prefer - well made or cheap? If you prefer cheap, then suck it up when the goods perish before your eyes, if you prefer well made then accept the cost.

So many on this site have been whingeing about the cost of living and accusing retailers of putting prices up, then there are even more of you complaining about the CHEAP & NASTY quality we are getting from China etc.

Which one would you prefer - well made or cheap? If you prefer cheap, then suck it up when the goods perish before your eyes, if you prefer well made then accept the cost.
I have bought many clothes from Temu, no problem at all with the quality.
Much better than KMart. Quality of the things I have bought I would compare to Katie's, Rockmans, etc at less than half the price and no freight.
Everything you buy these days comes from China, Vietnam,India etc we just pay a lot more for them to cover
retailers Astronomical rents and their markups.
As far as worrying about your details, everybody already has them, every government dept. ,
any other retail sites you deal with, whether they are Chinese or Australian.
People should remember all the Australian sites that have been hacked and details stolen eg Medicare, Optus. It's the world we now live in.

I have bought several items from Temu now. Items l was not happy with l contacted their HELP LINE, typed in my concern/s & was given an immediate refund with the option of an immediate credit or wait a period of time to have this paid back into my account. I always opt for immediate credit & no product is ever returned, so l receive a refund & keep the faulty product.
My chief complaint was with the courier who uses private cars with no company markings. Deliveries were left anywhere out the front of our home in clear view of the road. My complaint saw this changed to AustPost & deliveries placed out of sight giving me greater peace of mind.
you are supposed to put where you wish your parcels to be left, couriers fault not Temu.. also I have purchased many many clothes and not one has not been up to scratch. If it does not fit I get a refund and keep the item. Their rules not mine. You appear happy to keep the item and accept the refund so, stop your whingeing. It is not Temus fault where the parcel is left and as to private cars what is your problem? Kmart clothes are made in China in fact most of our clothes are. I bet you are still purchasing though.

I have used TEMU often. I have never down loaded an ap of any kind. I only get sale mails from them about every other day, while the NONI-B franchise inundate me with at least 3 from each of their holdings daily. Also I have only given my mobile No to one company on line(Nonib) I have had several unwanted calls from charity & sales people. I asked one of them how did they get my No, & she told me it was from the NONI_B franchise!!!

you are supposed to put where you wish your parcels to be left, couriers fault not Temu.. also I have purchased many many clothes and not one has not been up to scratch. If it does not fit I get a refund and keep the item. Their rules not mine. You appear happy to keep the item and accept the refund so, stop your whingeing. It is not Temus fault where the parcel is left and as to private cars what is your problem? Kmart clothes are made in China in fact most of our clothes are. I bet you are still purchasing though.
If you had witnessed first hand how my parcels were delivered as l had you may have a change of mind. The driver pulled up, opened the back door of his sedan car, took the parcel off the back seat, did his thing with his mobile phone, walked 10 steps to the corner of the garage & placed the parcel on top of a planter box. 3 FEW MORE STEPS & HE WOULD HAVE BEEN UNDERCOVER ON THE PORTICO. PLAIN BLOODY LAZY I'D SAY!!! Any delivery l have ever had from any company & this company too the stipulation by the company (any company) is that THE PARCEL IS TO PLACED IN A SAFE PLACE. THEIR WORDING, NOT MINE. I THEREFORE BELIEVE MINE IS A GENUINE CONCERN NOT A WHINGE, AS YOU SUGGEST!!! WOULDN'T YOU?

THREE (3) SECURITY CAMERAS ACROSS THE FRONT OF THE HOME ARE A WONDERFUL THING TO HAVE. PEOPLE CAN'T GET SWAY WITH ANYTHING!

The clothing from Temu are good quality in my opinion, never asked for a refund yet!
YOU STATED THAT YOU WOULD BE HAPPY TO KEEP AN ITEM OF CLOTHING WHICH DOES NOT FIT AFTER GETTING A REFUND DIDN'T YOU? ISN'T THAT WHINGING? THIS ITEM DOESN'T FIT SO I WANT A REFUND, BUT I AM HAPPY TO KEEP THIS & POSSIBLY PASS IT ON TO SOMEONE WHO IT MAY FIT. TRUE??? THEIR POLICY REMEMBER!!!

Last edited:
Temu is no different to any other on-line shop you do not have to become a member to purchase from them, same as the majority of the other stores, I always check out as a guest and my purchase has never been refused anywhere, as if they would say no you cannot buy anything from us unless you sign on as a member!!

Reactions: Ezzy
It's essential to heed warnings about popular shopping apps and their data practices. While convenience is paramount, protecting personal information is crucial. Users should scrutinize privacy policies, opt for secure payment methods, and remain vigilant against potential breaches. Prioritizing privacy safeguards can mitigate risks and ensure safer online shopping experiences.

Reactions: Ezzy
Once I used Temu but never again. I ordered some shoes from a well-known source, only to find that this Chinese-owned Company somehow got into this order and sent me a very cheap pair of shoes instead. Stay away from them because of that

Once I used Temu but never again. I ordered some shoes from a well-known source, only to find that this Chinese-owned Company somehow got into this order and sent me a very cheap pair of shoes instead. Stay away from them because of that
You say you ordered shoes from a well known source, and then you complain about Temu.
Which is it, did you order from Temu or from somebody else (e.g. well known source).
Sounds to me that you were on a scam site.
I have bought several pairs of shoes from Temu, they were all fine.
Do you realise how many orders Temu would do every day, all over the world, millions. I'm sure they have better things to do than hack into someone else's website and steal your order for one pair of shoes.