Everything you need to know to receive the $250 one-off cash payment for pensioners

Over 6 million Centrelink recipients and concession cardholders will receive a one-off cash payment of $250 in April after the federal government announced the 2022 Federal Budget last week.

The $250 boost is expected to aid pensioners with the rising cost of living in the country.

tzb4T1rAUdwsaAbH9SOPF5xNtZ4ySaoFpHeeXq93U1NLY1jKdfaUivbDbAMA-7p0GHNz0z-7W_ONQORGr1vzOjI_YUXAe22kJ7xtG3xpwuVK6KUIjW0V7LkbChRoPaFhbddZhXQ

Federal government announced the distribution of $250 one-off cash payments to over 6 million concession cardholders and pensioners in April. Credit: AAP.

While the exact date for the release of the funds has not been disclosed, if you are one of those people who are expecting to receive the payment this month, here is everything you should know:

Eligibility

It was said that over 6 million people are eligible to receive the one-off cash payment of $250 in April.

Eligible Australians are reported to be recipients of the following payments:

• Age Pension
  • Austudy and Abstudy Living Allowance
  • Carer Allowance
  • Carer Payment
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health card holders
  • Disability Support Pension
  • Double Orphan Pension
  • Farm Household Allowance
  • Jobseeker Payment
  • Parenting Payment
  • Pensioner Concession Card (PCC) holders
  • Special Benefit
  • Veterans’ Affairs payment recipients and Veteran Gold cardholders
  • Youth Allowance
It should be noted, however, that if you receive multiple of the payments listed above, you will only be eligible to receive one payment of $250.

Fund distribution

Eligible Australians will automatically receive the payment in their chosen bank account where they receive other government financial benefits.

We encourage our readers to ensure that the personal details you provide in your Centrelink account is up-to-date to avoid any delays in the payment.

Aside from the one-off cash payments, the federal government also announced the $420 one-off tax break for more than 10 million Australians, as well as the cut on the fuel excise tax, reducing the cut from 44.2 cents per litre to 22.1 cents until September 28th.

Are you looking forward to receiving the $250 cash payment? Do you think this amount is enough to help cope with the rising living costs? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Everything you need to know to receive the $250 one-off cash payment for pensioners

Over 6 million Centrelink recipients and concession cardholders will receive a one-off cash payment of $250 in April after the federal government announced the 2022 Federal Budget last week.

The $250 boost is expected to aid pensioners with the rising cost of living in the country.

tzb4T1rAUdwsaAbH9SOPF5xNtZ4ySaoFpHeeXq93U1NLY1jKdfaUivbDbAMA-7p0GHNz0z-7W_ONQORGr1vzOjI_YUXAe22kJ7xtG3xpwuVK6KUIjW0V7LkbChRoPaFhbddZhXQ

Federal government announced the distribution of $250 one-off cash payments to over 6 million concession cardholders and pensioners in April. Credit: AAP.

While the exact date for the release of the funds has not been disclosed, if you are one of those people who are expecting to receive the payment this month, here is everything you should know:

Eligibility

It was said that over 6 million people are eligible to receive the one-off cash payment of $250 in April.

• Age Pension
  • Carer Allowance
  • Carer Payment
  • Double Orphan Pension
  • Jobseeker Payment
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Youth Allowance
It should be noted, however, that if you receive multiple of the payments listed above, you will only be eligible to receive one payment of $250.

Fund distribution

Eligible Australians will automatically receive the payment in their chosen bank account where they receive other government financial benefits.

We encourage our readers to ensure that the personal details you provide in your Centrelink account is up-to-date to avoid any delays in the payment.

Aside from the one-off cash payments, the federal government also announced the $420 one-off tax break for more than 10 million Australians, as well as the cut on the fuel excise tax, reducing the cut from 44.2 cents per litre to 22.1 cents until September 28th.

Are you looking forward to receiving the $250 cash payment? Do you think this amount is enough to help cope with the rising living costs? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
Unfortunately people have to realise that you have to start living within your means. A lot of people complain about the $250 but have to realise that NO Govt. can just keep handing out money for ever more. Basically if there are things you have done or bought in the past and you can't afford now, go without. If you can't afford it, you don't need it. I am a pensioner who rents. I have learnt to go without, so too can others.

• Love
Reactions: debjane

Eligibility

• Age Pension
  • Carer Allowance
  • Carer Payment
  • Double Orphan Pension
  • Jobseeker Payment
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Youth Allowance

Fund distribution

No I definitely don’t think it’s enough! Rents have gone up so has fuel, food, electricity,etc!

I am happy to get anything extra. It is tough times but we know how to budget as we’ve been doing it all our lives so this bonus is something we hadn’t planned on. I’m going to enjoy it and will spend it wisely. As for voting either way, there is no way I would ever be in politics because whichever way you go, most people won’t be satisfied! We just need to learn to live within our means and enjoy any windfall we get! BE HAPPY PEOPLE. 😁🎶🥂

Reactions: debjane
I have been medically retired on invalidity but do not qualify for this payment at not at age pension age or qualify for DSP! Go figure, I don't get much of a fortnightly payment from my super and this would've help heaps to buy groceries/bills.
I hear you Janej312, I too have medically retired I had been on Sickness Benefits for nearly 2 years, then they scrapped Sickness Benefits & I then became a Job Seeker although unable to work got knocked back for DSP after 3 years & am now waiting on an answer for the 2nd try. $250 big deal, I bet Scomo will get a nice increase for announcing that.

Eligibility

• Age Pension
  • Carer Allowance
  • Carer Payment
  • Double Orphan Pension
  • Jobseeker Payment
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Youth Allowance

Fund distribution

I think that pensioners are so far behind the eight ball it is not funny. When I go to do the shopping I am so worried about how much my four bags are going to cost, they used to cost 150 now anything up to 250 and they said to say that we can manage on our pensions fuel power water rates food to name a few things have all gone up but the pension goes up by 20 dollars what a joke as is the 250 that will only fill the car a couple of times.

Eligibility

• Age Pension
  • Carer Allowance
  • Carer Payment
  • Double Orphan Pension
  • Jobseeker Payment
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Youth Allowance

Fund distribution

I think that pensioners are so far behind the eight ball it is not funny. When I go to do the shopping I am so worried about how much my four bags are going to cost, they used to cost 150 now anything up to 250 and they said to say that we can manage on our pensions fuel power water rates food to name a few things have all gone up but the pension goes up by 20 dollars what a joke as is the 250 that will only fill the car a couple of times.
Not enought

Eligibility

• Age Pension
  • Carer Allowance
  • Carer Payment
  • Double Orphan Pension
  • Jobseeker Payment
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Youth Allowance

Fund distribution

You have just given $250 for a vote for Scomo. Sadly $420 tax break is not coming for the above category of recipents of the $250. The reason: You do not pay tax. If you did not pay tax in 2020/2021 tax year, then you don't get it. With the Low income tax offset , 10millionAustralian may be eligible but will not get it. What a CON job by the Morrison government. Even the former Prime Minister John Hewson(Liberal) does not respect or trust Scott Morrison.
Do you trust such a lier???? Wake up senior citzens you have been fooled by Scomo.

The $250 will be swallowed up the first time I go to the supermarket unless I walk there then I might have $11 left of it for my next trip to the supermarket, worked hard my whole life and paid taxes never imagined I’d see a time when the older people in this country would be treated so bad, but I keep smiling ☺️ have a great day.
Couldn't agree more.
And what even adds to the insult is the leader of the country has never done a thing for the country.
My parents brought us out here under the guise of opportunity, and to help build a country.
And we got was lies and deceit.

Reactions: JeyaR
Couldn't agree more.
And what even adds to the insult is the leader of the country has never done a thing for the country.
My parents brought us out here under the guise of opportunity, and to help build a country.
And we got was lies and deceit.
I came to Australia in 1975, the enitire time, I collected only 2 weekss unemployement benefit and $3500 for a first home grant. I am a self funded retiree. Never been eligible for any of these so called benefits. Scomo only gives his mates handouts, not hard working citzens who earn just enough to meet ends,Not complaining, I feel blessed that I still have eaarning capacity and midful of how spend .

one off isn't any good it should have been fortnightly but then we don't retire on a missive pension like they do and don't have to try and make ends meet and we will only get it after the election I think we can all work it out just because we have retired the brain hasn't it is only to get our votes doesn't mater which one of the government you vote for they are all out to line there own pockets
You have hit the nail on the head 'goodmorning', and I agree whole heartedly. Today we only get prime ministers who think that constantly criticising their opposition is the best way to gain votes and have us all in their pockets, but the truth is, he is simply a bully, a liar and has NO idea how the rest of us live. Every time we get a new Prime Minister, what is the first thing they do? THEY RAISE THEIR OWN WAGES!! With all the benefits they get and all the rewards they receive I ask, "Why do they need so much money to live on?" I bet they won't answer that question directly, just like they don't answer ANY question directly.

I have been medically retired on invalidity but do not qualify for this payment at not at age pension age or qualify for DSP! Go figure, I don't get much of a fortnightly payment from my super and this would've help heaps to buy groceries/bills.
Know just how you feel and they keep putting the Aged Pension age up. Only last year it went from 66yrs to 66yrs and 6mths. Got excited the other day when I read it's going back down to 65. Yay. No NOT, that's not happening till 2026. Wish I had a Parliamentary Pension.

I hear that the government wants older people back in the workforce. WHY!! We have done our share of paying taxes and being loyal to this country and what are they doing? Penalising us for doing so and then expecting us to work even harder when we are worn out, in constant pain and more tired than they will ever be. If we pensioners go back out into the workforce, what will be left for the bone idle bludgers who simply want to live off our taxes still. The government needs to develop a backbone and cut of their benefits if they don't take available work instead of complaining that they 'don't want the job on offer' because they are not qualified to do it. 'THEN GET QUALIFIED!' Stop mollycoddling those wet nosed cry babies who go out protesting everything because they don't want to work, just have fun. We took anything we could get in my days and when a job that we were qualified for came along, we applied for it. I was rarely out of work in my time, and I started work at 15 years of age, working five eight-hour days plus Thursday nights and Saturday mornings. Young ones complain bitterly if they must do a 4-hour shift. I will be 73 yrs. of age in a couple of months and I only retired 2 yrs. ago.

• Sad
Reactions: Barraabus and Chris
one off isn't any good it should have been fortnightly but then we don't retire on a missive pension like they do and don't have to try and make ends meet and we will only get it after the election I think we can all work it out just because we have retired the brain hasn't it is only to get our votes doesn't mater which one of the government you vote for they are all out to line there own pockets
Absolutely!

Eligibility

• Age Pension
  • Carer Allowance
  • Carer Payment
  • Double Orphan Pension
  • Jobseeker Payment
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Youth Allowance

Fund distribution

This has to be the joke of the century.
Makes one wonder if Australia will ever grow up.

I hear that the government wants older people back in the workforce. WHY!! We have done our share of paying taxes and being loyal to this country and what are they doing? Penalising us for doing so and then expecting us to work even harder when we are worn out, in constant pain and more tired than they will ever be. If we pensioners go back out into the workforce, what will be left for the bone idle bludgers who simply want to live off our taxes still. The government needs to develop a backbone and cut of their benefits if they don't take available work instead of complaining that they 'don't want the job on offer' because they are not qualified to do it. 'THEN GET QUALIFIED!' Stop mollycoddling those wet nosed cry babies who go out protesting everything because they don't want to work, just have fun. We took anything we could get in my days and when a job that we were qualified for came along, we applied for it. I was rarely out of work in my time, and I started work at 15 years of age, working five eight-hour days plus Thursday nights and Saturday mornings. Young ones complain bitterly if they must do a 4-hour shift. I will be 73 yrs. of age in a couple of months and I only retired 2 yrs. ago.
Sadly, but true, work is just a form of slavery.
Like you, I have worked all my life, am 71, and finally realized that everything a worker strives for throughout life can be taken off them at the stroke of a pen, by those who have never worked a day in their life.
Perhaps the young ones these days are a tad smarter than we were, and can see how fragile our system really is.
A prime example being the leader of the country, who has never worked a day in his life, never done a thing for the country, and gets to live a life of luxury at the expense of everyone else.
Perhaps the young look to this , and see work as a hard road to travel.
Just a few thoughts.

Reactions: Vertho
Sadly, but true, work is just a form of slavery.
Like you, I have worked all my life, am 71, and finally realized that everything a worker strives for throughout life can be taken off them at the stroke of a pen, by those who have never worked a day in their life.
Perhaps the young ones these days are a tad smarter than we were, and can see how fragile our system really is.
A prime example being the leader of the country, who has never worked a day in his life, never done a thing for the country, and gets to live a life of luxury at the expense of everyone else.
Perhaps the young look to this , and see work as a hard road to travel.
Just a few thoughts.
Interesting thoughts to ponder and you could be right on many subjects, but I blame parents. So many of them give in to their children and let them do for themselves because they must work to pay off debts. Personally, I have never owned a home because I have moved around with jobs etc, and now I am comfortable in govt housing with all my own belongings around me. My parents struggled all their lives, but they taught us one thing, and that was, the government won't give anything away to make your life easy. One doesn't need a mansion to be happy, just a strong survival instinct and good management. That is what we should be instructing our children, not that money will buy you happiness. It never ceases to amaze me the thousands of people who rush in and buy the latest iPhone for the fortune they charge. I call it the "I WANT" syndrome. Goodness knows where they get the money from.

Everything we need to know??
What happened to "When" we are going to be paid, instead of " We will be paid"?
Has the world ever experienced more of "It's going to happen" at any other time in the history of the planet??

Everything we need to know??
What happened to "When" we are going to be paid, instead of " We will be paid"?
Has the world ever experienced more of "It's going to happen" at any other time in the history of the planet??
Too true. I actually "wonder when" we are going to get an honest politician (Prime Minister) instead of these so called "God Faring" goody two shoes who constantly lie because they think their imaginary saviour is going to forgive them, every time they ask her? Oops, him. We have had some good Prime Ministers who were honest enough to call a spade a spade and had backbone enough to do what is right by the people. I know they cannot please all the people all the time, but they can at least try to please the majority. All we get these days are men who think only of their own gains first and then maybe think of some share for the people. They should always remember who it is that pays their wages!! The long-suffering taxpayer, which is who.

Reactions: Barraabus
Too true. I actually "wonder when" we are going to get an honest politician (Prime Minister) instead of these so called "God Faring" goody two shoes who constantly lie because they think their imaginary saviour is going to forgive them, every time they ask her? Oops, him. We have had some good Prime Ministers who were honest enough to call a spade a spade and had backbone enough to do what is right by the people. I know they cannot please all the people all the time, but they can at least try to please the majority. All we get these days are men who think only of their own gains first and then maybe think of some share for the people. They should always remember who it is that pays their wages!! The long-suffering taxpayer, which is who.
Been a long time since we've seen one of those Prime Ministers..at least 50 years in my book.