Elderly Aussie on a mobility scooter collides with a car while crossing a major Perth road

Mobility scooters are a lifeline for many older Australians, providing them with independence and the ability to participate in community life.

The safety of our elderly citizens using mobility scooters on the road has been brought into sharp focus following a shocking incident in Perth where an elderly woman was struck by a car while attempting to cross a busy motorway.

The incident occurred near the intersection of Guildford Rd and Fourth Ave East in Maylands around 11:20 am on December 8.

The dashcam footage, shared by Dashcam Owners Australia, showed the woman on the scooter attempting to cross the road.

SDC Images (6).png
Dashcam footage showed an elderly woman in a mobility scooter colliding with a car while crossing the road. Image source: Facebook/Dashcam Owners Australia.

She successfully signals a car in the inside lane to stop, but a white Toyota Camry in the outer lane, presumably with its view obscured by the stopped car, continued forward.

As the scooter moved in front of the stopped car, it was hit by the Camry.

Thankfully, a catastrophic collision was avoided, but the impact was enough to topple the scooter and its rider onto the busy road.

The woman was seen back on her feet after concerned motorists pulled over to assist her.

The incident has sparked a flurry of comments online, with many viewers expressing little sympathy for the elderly lady, arguing that mobility scooters 'shouldn’t be on the road'.

'Absolutely not shocked by this,' one commented.

'The next block down has a footbridge across this main road,' a second added.

Another viewer pointed out: 'Many of the scooter riders have a tall orange flag and usually try to cross at a marked crossing of some sort.'

Other commenters noted the lack of pedestrian crossings on that stretch of Guildford Rd. The closest crossings from the collision scene are an intersection 420 metres west and a footbridge 360 metres east.

It is understood that the WA Police has been contacted for comment on the incident.

This news comes after motorists nationwide expressed their disdain after a Woolworths shopper parked their mobility scooter in a space designated for disabled drivers.

The driver who shared the photo on social media recalled that they were trying to pull into the vacant disabled parking space but found that the scooter was already there.

They also thought that this act was ‘surely not legal’, and clarified that the mobility scooter wasn’t displaying a disabled parking permit when they saw it.

The photo ignited a debate online about the regulations of parking mobility scooters in disabled parking spaces. However, many agreed that it is not legal to do so.

You can read more about this incident here.
Key Takeaways
  • Chilling dashcam footage has captured the moment an elderly woman on a mobility scooter and a car collided on a busy Perth motorway.
  • The collision occurred near the intersection of Guildford Rd and Fourth Ave East in Maylands.
  • The woman was later shown back on her feet as motorists pulled over to assist her.
  • Viewers in the comment section claimed mobility scooters 'shouldn’t be on the road' and noted the lack of pedestrian crossings on Guildford Rd.
What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Do you think our cities are adequately equipped to accommodate mobility scooters? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
These people on mobility scooters are a menace on roads and elsewhere , especially in supermarkets they ram you have little patience and think they have more rights than others , being a victim of their behaviour ,I give them a wide berth .

I have a scooter and whilst in our local shopping centre I find the problem is those people who walk around heads down looking at there I phones, even riding at your lowest speed you cannot stop immediately if some idiot steps in front of you, those people who say scooters should be banned might reach old age in the future and be glad to have one.

I have a scooter and whilst in our local shopping centre I find the problem is those people who walk around heads down looking at there I phones, even riding at your lowest speed you cannot stop immediately if some idiot steps in front of you, those people who say scooters should be banned might reach old age in the future and be glad to have one.
There was a woman 👩 in our city who would come up behind you and ram into you in the supermarket and got pleasure out doing it until the manager had a few words with her . There are others who scoot across the highway without paying attention to traffic, not all mobility scooters fall into this category,it’s these who give scooter riders a bad name.

Most mobility scooters drivers are as bad as pushbike riders or skateboarders - they truly think they have right of way. In my hometown our council has spent hundreds of thousands of rate payers' money build pathways all around town for them to use but low & behold they still use the road. Even basic road rules they cannot follow and don't even get me started when they think they are intitled to entry any building driving their big scooters. At least if their using a mini or small scooter it's not so bad. And before you ask, YES, I OWN A SCOOTER but unlike most, I follow basic road & courtesy rules.

Mobility scooters are a lifeline for many older Australians, providing them with independence and the ability to participate in community life.

The safety of our elderly citizens using mobility scooters on the road has been brought into sharp focus following a shocking incident in Perth where an elderly woman was struck by a car while attempting to cross a busy motorway.

The incident occurred near the intersection of Guildford Rd and Fourth Ave East in Maylands around 11:20 am on December 8.

The dashcam footage, shared by Dashcam Owners Australia, showed the woman on the scooter attempting to cross the road.

View attachment 37445
Dashcam footage showed an elderly woman in a mobility scooter colliding with a car while crossing the road. Image source: Facebook/Dashcam Owners Australia.

She successfully signals a car in the inside lane to stop, but a white Toyota Camry in the outer lane, presumably with its view obscured by the stopped car, continued forward.

Thankfully, a catastrophic collision was avoided, but the impact was enough to topple the scooter and its rider onto the busy road.

The woman was seen back on her feet after concerned motorists pulled over to assist her.

The incident has sparked a flurry of comments online, with many viewers expressing little sympathy for the elderly lady, arguing that mobility scooters 'shouldn’t be on the road'.

Another viewer pointed out: 'Many of the scooter riders have a tall orange flag and usually try to cross at a marked crossing of some sort.'

Other commenters noted the lack of pedestrian crossings on that stretch of Guildford Rd. The closest crossings from the collision scene are an intersection 420 metres west and a footbridge 360 metres east.

It is understood that the WA Police has been contacted for comment on the incident.

This news comes after motorists nationwide expressed their disdain after a Woolworths shopper parked their mobility scooter in a space designated for disabled drivers.

The driver who shared the photo on social media recalled that they were trying to pull into the vacant disabled parking space but found that the scooter was already there.

They also thought that this act was ‘surely not legal’, and clarified that the mobility scooter wasn’t displaying a disabled parking permit when they saw it.

The photo ignited a debate online about the regulations of parking mobility scooters in disabled parking spaces. However, many agreed that it is not legal to do so.

Key Takeaways

• Chilling dashcam footage has captured the moment an elderly woman on a mobility scooter and a car collided on a busy Perth motorway.
  • The collision occurred near the intersection of Guildford Rd and Fourth Ave East in Maylands.
  • The woman was later shown back on her feet as motorists pulled over to assist her.
  • Viewers in the comment section claimed mobility scooters 'shouldn’t be on the road' and noted the lack of pedestrian crossings on Guildford Rd.
What are your thoughts on this incident, members? Do you think our cities are adequately equipped to accommodate mobility scooters? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
My husband had a mobility scooter. We crossed major roads and went the extra distance to find a safe crossing. To expect a car to actually stop for you was just plain strange t. Even if they saw you safer to let them go then continue across the road. She was one lucky lady, can’t help but think that poor motorist who was unable to see her must be feeling. Even in shopping centres I see people with scooters and walkers barging through.
I might add I am 83 have an assistance dog and need the shopping a shopping trolley to get things done. But some of these people are just plain scary.

I agree with you Dennis, many of us may need a scooter one day. Unfortunately, many phone users don't watch but some mobility scooter operators speed and don't obey traffic signal or rules either.
I'm pretty sure if I was in a car, I wouldn't be allowed to cross double lines. The lady wasn't walking she was on a mobility scooter and should follow the road rules.
I personally think she should have a helmet on as well, like bike riders, as she could have caused herself a serious head injury.

Maybe we should mention how many dickhead drivers there are who think they can do what they like. Then the situation of being rammed with shopping trollies with able bodied people and kids. Not to mention the people who park in Handicapped spaces without permits or all the clowns on bike and scooters with no regard for road rules. Those who complain about mobility scooters might need one in the future. Can wait to see the way way these dickheads will ride them.

View attachment 37445

Key Takeaways

Registered Mobility scooters are required to use the road, scooters such as mine can only use the road when there is no suitable path or when crossing, most drivers are careful and observe road rules, and there may be the odd one who does otherwise.

Reactions: marni and GreenGoo

View attachment 37445

Key Takeaways

she crosses on a double white line. this is what gives seniors on scooters a bad name. the ones who drive around the centres and think they have the right piss me off too. I have a scooter and a brain.

Reactions: Jennie and DLHM
My husband had a mobility scooter. We crossed major roads and went the extra distance to find a safe crossing. To expect a car to actually stop for you was just plain strange t. Even if they saw you safer to let them go then continue across the road. She was one lucky lady, can’t help but think that poor motorist who was unable to see her must be feeling. Even in shopping centres I see people with scooters and walkers barging through.
I might add I am 83 have an assistance dog and need the shopping a shopping trolley to get things done. But some of these people are just plain scary.
Well said.

Reactions: Jennie and DLHM
About ten years to the day, this old gargoyle on a mobility scooter was going full tilt through a crowded Sugarland Shoppingtown in Bundaberg. People were jumping out of the way left, right and centre. An accident waiting to happen? Well, it did happen with this Stirling Moss of shopping centres hitting another woman, throwing her into a display window and from my observation, she may have suffered some serious fractures. This battery powered psycho just kept going, out the northern exit and into the carpark on Johnston Street. The ambos and police arrived but I'm uncertain to whether this nutjob was ever apprehended.

About ten years to the day, this old gargoyle on a mobility scooter was going full tilt through a crowded Sugarland Shoppingtown in Bundaberg. People were jumping out of the way left, right and centre. An accident waiting to happen? Well, it did happen with this Stirling Moss of shopping centres hitting another woman, throwing her into a display window and from my observation, she may have suffered some serious fractures. This battery powered psycho just kept going, out the northern exit and into the carpark on Johnston Street. The ambos and police arrived but I'm uncertain to whether this nutjob was ever apprehended.
Now are you sure that is not your own story you are telling 1702522363183.gif