Outrage over a Woolworths shopper’s park spurs debate—is this illegal?

Drivers hold some of the biggest societal responsibilities in keeping our community safe. However, occasionally a reminder of the rules and laws is required.

Motorists nationwide have expressed their disdain after a Woolworths shopper parked their mobility scooter in a space designated for disabled drivers, sparking a fierce debate on social media.

A fellow shopper uploaded a photo of the scooter parked outside the Bendigo supermarket and shared it in a post to a Facebook group dedicated to calling out drivers who ignore the rules of disabled parking bays.

disabled1.jpg
This photo of a mobility scooter parked in a disabled space sparked a debate online. Credit: Facebook

The driver who shared the photo recalled that they were trying to pull into the vacant disabled parking space, but found that the scooter was already there.

They also thought that this act was ‘surely not legal’, and clarified that the mobility scooter wasn’t displaying a disabled parking permit when they saw it.

The photo ignited a debate online about the regulations of parking mobility scooters in disabled parking spaces. However, many agreed that it is not legal to do so.

‘It isn’t legal. They are not registered vehicles and can be left outside the front of the store or taken inside the store if they want,’ one group member commented.

The outraged Facebook user also claimed that not everyone who uses a mobility scooters has a disability,alleging that some opt to use them out of convenience.

disabled2.jpg
According to some Facebook users, some people who drive mobility scooters use them out of convenience. Credit: neelam279/Pixabay

According to VicRoad guidelines, however, the devices are strictly for disabled users. The guidelines state: ‘Motorised scooters and powered wheelchairs are therapeutic devices. They should only be used by people who are unable to walk or have difficulty walking.’

The comprehensive manual regarding the use of mobility scooters goes on to state the rules for parking the devices.

‘You cannot use vehicle car parks to park your motorised mobility device, even if the parks are designated as parking spaces for people with disabilities.’

A spokesperson from the Victorian Department of Transport and Planning confirmed to reporters that mobility scooters should not be parked in car parks.

‘Under Road Rule 203, all drivers must display an accessible parking permit to lawfully park in a disabled parking space,’ they explained.

They further added that riders of mobility scooters that travel below 10 kilometres per hour (km/hr), are still defined as a pedestrian and must travel and park on the footpath.

This comes after a woman who uses a wheelchair regularly was forced to park in a basement of her building and climb up two steep ramps – a path that had left her in tears several times, all because someone had illegally parked in the disability parking spot she always used. You can read more details about her story, including the powerful note she left for the driver, here.

In NSW, mobility scooters are categorised as ‘motorised wheelchairs specially built to transport people who are unable to walk, or have difficulty walking’. According to the NSW road rules, motorised wheelchairs do not require registration in NSW or a licence.

Additionally, the motorised wheelchair user is still considered to be a pedestrian and is expected to comply with the NSW Road Rules that apply to their circumstance.

In Queensland, a mobility scooter must be registered as a motorised wheelchair, and it may be registered to an individual or an organisation. These may include nursing homes, shopping centres, and educational institutions. According to the QLD road rules, a mobility scooter must be registered if the device is used on a footpath or road area in Queensland.

Additionally, they must use the footpath or nature strip at all times or, if the footpath or nature strip is unsuitable, travel as close as possible to the left or right side of the road. Users should also face oncoming traffic if possible to do so. They should also comply with road rules as they apply to pedestrians. As such, parking in a car park would not be permitted.

Although each state and territory has its own regulations, some basic rules apply across Australia. These are:

1. Only people who have a disability or experience difficulty walking should use mobility devices.​
2. Wheelchairs and scooters should be speed limited to 10 km/hour on level ground.​
3. People using mobility devices are classified as pedestrians and must follow the same road rules as other pedestrians.​
4. Mobility equipment must not be driven on the road if there is a footpath or nature strip available.​
5. It is illegal to ride a scooter or wheelchair when under the influence of drugs or alcohol.​
6. Wheelchairs and scooters do not require registration unless you live in Queensland.​

Key Takeaways
  • Motorists across Australia called out a shopper for parking a mobility scooter in a spot designated for disabled drivers at a Woolworths parking bay.
  • Photos uploaded to social media ignited a fierce debate about the regulations of parking mobility scooters in disabled parking bays – with many agreeing that it is not legal to do so.
  • According to VicRoads guidelines, the devices are strictly for disabled users and 'cannot be used to park in a vehicle car park'.
  • A spokesperson from the Victorian Department of Transport and Planning confirmed that mobility scooters should not be parked in parking lots, and riders should 'travel and park on the footpath'.
How do you feel about this, members? Were you aware of this road rule?

Additionally, have you ever witnessed someone illegally park in a disabled parking space? How did you respond? Share your story in the comments below!

Sponsored
I am sure for those who are using these mobility scooters are in need of them, I have osteoarthritis in both feet, have now had both knees replaced and I struggle with walking, but thankfully I am not at the stage where I need that kind of assistance to get around. I think they are wonderful devices to enable people to at least be able to get out and about and be as productive as they can. However, I have also nearly been ran over by them and been abused by the person operating the mobility scooter. I have not come across one in a disabled park, that is usually someone in a car that doesn't have or doesn't display a disabled sticker. I also think that many have no idea regarding road rules and they drive on the road, cross it without always looking expecting the driver of a car to watch out for them and I have seen some do more then the limit they are supposed to do. I think they should be subjected to a test to see if they can operate them safely and have a licence to operate them like you need for a forklift for instance.

Drivers hold some of the biggest societal responsibilities in keeping our community safe. However, occasionally a reminder of the rules and laws is required.

Motorists nationwide have expressed their disdain after a Woolworths shopper parked their mobility scooter in a space designated for disabled drivers, sparking a fierce debate on social media.

A fellow shopper uploaded a photo of the scooter parked outside the Bendigo supermarket and shared it in a post to a Facebook group dedicated to calling out drivers who ignore the rules of disabled parking bays.

View attachment 14543
This photo of a mobility scooter parked in a disabled space sparked a debate online. Credit: Facebook

The driver who shared the photo recalled that they were trying to pull into the vacant disabled parking space, but found that the scooter was already there.

They also thought that this act was ‘surely not legal’, and clarified that the mobility scooter wasn’t displaying a disabled parking permit when they saw it.

The photo ignited a debate online about the regulations of parking mobility scooters in disabled parking spaces. However, many agreed that it is not legal to do so.

‘It isn’t legal. They are not registered vehicles and can be left outside the front of the store or taken inside the store if they want,’ one group member commented.

The outraged Facebook user also claimed that not everyone who uses a mobility scooters has a disability,alleging that some opt to use them out of convenience.

View attachment 14544
According to some Facebook users, some people who drive mobility scooters use them out of convenience. Credit: neelam279/Pixabay

According to VicRoad guidelines, however, the devices are strictly for disabled users. The guidelines state: ‘Motorised scooters and powered wheelchairs are therapeutic devices. They should only be used by people who are unable to walk or have difficulty walking.’

The comprehensive manual regarding the use of mobility scooters goes on to state the rules for parking the devices.

‘You cannot use vehicle car parks to park your motorised mobility device, even if the parks are designated as parking spaces for people with disabilities.’

A spokesperson from the Victorian Department of Transport and Planning confirmed to reporters that mobility scooters should not be parked in car parks.

‘Under Road Rule 203, all drivers must display an accessible parking permit to lawfully park in a disabled parking space,’ they explained.

They further added that riders of mobility scooters that travel below 10 kilometres per hour (km/hr), are still defined as a pedestrian and must travel and park on the footpath.

This comes after a woman who uses a wheelchair regularly was forced to park in a basement of her building and climb up two steep ramps – a path that had left her in tears several times, all because someone had illegally parked in the disability parking spot she always used. You can read more details about her story, including the powerful note she left for the driver, here.

In NSW, mobility scooters are categorised as ‘motorised wheelchairs specially built to transport people who are unable to walk, or have difficulty walking’. According to the NSW road rules, motorised wheelchairs do not require registration in NSW or a licence.

Additionally, the motorised wheelchair user is still considered to be a pedestrian and is expected to comply with the NSW Road Rules that apply to their circumstance.

In Queensland, a mobility scooter must be registered as a motorised wheelchair, and it may be registered to an individual or an organisation. These may include nursing homes, shopping centres, and educational institutions. According to the QLD road rules, a mobility scooter must be registered if the device is used on a footpath or road area in Queensland.

Additionally, they must use the footpath or nature strip at all times or, if the footpath or nature strip is unsuitable, travel as close as possible to the left or right side of the road. Users should also face oncoming traffic if possible to do so. They should also comply with road rules as they apply to pedestrians. As such, parking in a car park would not be permitted.

Although each state and territory has its own regulations, some basic rules apply across Australia. These are:

1. Only people who have a disability or experience difficulty walking should use mobility devices.​
2. Wheelchairs and scooters should be speed limited to 10 km/hour on level ground.​
3. People using mobility devices are classified as pedestrians and must follow the same road rules as other pedestrians.​
4. Mobility equipment must not be driven on the road if there is a footpath or nature strip available.​
5. It is illegal to ride a scooter or wheelchair when under the influence of drugs or alcohol.​
6. Wheelchairs and scooters do not require registration unless you live in Queensland.​

Key Takeaways

• Motorists across Australia called out a shopper for parking a mobility scooter in a spot designated for disabled drivers at a Woolworths parking bay.
  • Photos uploaded to social media ignited a fierce debate about the regulations of parking mobility scooters in disabled parking bays – with many agreeing that it is not legal to do so.
  • According to VicRoads guidelines, the devices are strictly for disabled users and 'cannot be used to park in a vehicle car park'.
  • A spokesperson from the Victorian Department of Transport and Planning confirmed that mobility scooters should not be parked in parking lots, and riders should 'travel and park on the footpath'.

Additionally, have you ever witnessed someone illegally park in a disabled parking space? How did you respond? Share your story in the comments below!
Woolworths in Sunbury have Tradies using disabled parking spots. The disabled tickets are displayed on their dashboards do not reflect the registration of the vehicle. They appear to swap these tickets with other drivers. Other drivers often use these disabled parking spots without the required tickets.

I use a mobility scooter to get around the village. My back is so bad that if I didn't use one I wouldn't be able to travel more than about 25 meters past my front door. I can't see anyone using a mobility scooter unless they absolutely had to, I know I would much rather get about under my own steam if I could. I have a medium/large one for normal getting about and a smaller one that fits in the car boot for if I have to drive somewhere and walk at the other end. I also have a disabled parking permit for the car. It's a shitty part of getting older that bits refuse to work as they once did, I thank goodness that there are aids to make life still worth living. ;)

The parking laws are quite clear. If you do not display a valid ACROD/disability parking permit, you cannot legally park in an ACROD/disability bay - whether you are disabled or not. In WA, if you park there without displaying a valid permit, the fine is $500. If you don't pay the fine, it goes to court and could cost you $5,000. Also, the mobility scooter would probably need to be registered as a vehicle.

View attachment 14543

View attachment 14544

Key Takeaways

I am waiting for a scooter or motorised wheelchair. I cannot walk more than 10 metres or stand for more than 5 minutes at a time. This causes numbness in my legs and lower back pain.
I am currently being pushed around in a manual wheelchair, which means I have to have someone around all the time.

• Sad
Reactions: Femy and Ricci