Cancer survivor hits with outrageous $15,000 water bill: ‘We can't get any common sense’

In a baffling turn of events that could leave anyone's jaw on the floor, a cancer survivor from the Southern Tablelands of New South Wales has been hit with a water bill that's enough to make your eyes water—a staggering $15,000.

This astronomical figure left Anthony, who lives a simple life with a modest garden, fishpond, and workshop, in utter disbelief.

Anthony was accustomed to his water bill hovering around the reasonable sum of $290.

His daily water usage?

A mere 130 litres, aligning with the average consumption estimated by Sydney Water.

shutterstock_2218754647.jpg
Anthony was stunned to find out his water bill had jumped from $290 to $15,000. Credit: Shutterstock

But when Anthony opened his latest bill from Goulburn Mulwaree Council, he was met with a figure that would make anyone's eyes water: $15,645.86.

The council claimed that Anthony had used over 35,000 litres of water per day over the last 104 days.

To put that into perspective, that's the equivalent of filling two Olympic-sized swimming pools or leaving five taps running continuously, day and night.

'A 15-and-a-half thousand dollar water bill, they can go and get themselves nicked,' Anthony declared.

'I'm not paying it, no way in the world.'

Anthony's battle with cancer has left him with communication difficulties, so his father, Neil, stepped in on his behalf.

Neil's disbelief mirrored his son's as he recounted the situation.

'I couldn't believe it when he showed me the bill,' he said.

'Currently, now, we're at this point in a stage where we can't get any reasonable common sense from the council.’

'I said, “It's got to be the crook meter,” and she said, “We've had a lot of meters tested, and they've all come back positive,”' Neil recounted.

'And I said, “What about this meter?” and she said, “It'll cost you $50 to have it tested, but there'll be nothing wrong with it.”'

He has received multiple emails from Goulburn Mulwaree Council demanding evidence that he did not consume such a large amount of water.

Anthony mentioned that he received a reminder for an overdue bill, instructing him to pay it immediately.

'I got an email saying I can have a payment plan and all the rest of it..like, get real,' he said.

'I'm not going to pay it.'

Neil explained that Anthony uses his own water tank for gardening, topping up his fishpond, and washing his car.

The town's water supply is reserved for household tasks like washing up and showering. The idea that his son could have racked up such a 'ridiculous' bill was unfathomable.

Anthony has been tasked with preparing a detailed letter outlining his water usage, which will be presented at a council meeting later this month.

In a similar story, a 79-year-old retiree found himself in a situation after the Mornington Peninsula Council ordered him to remove a series of agapanthus plants from a nature strip outside his home.

The council's ultimatum: uproot the plants or face a hefty fine of $7,692. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • An NSW cancer survivor has been hit with an enormous $15,000 water bill from Goulburn Mulwaree Council, claiming he used over 35,000 litres a day.
  • The man, who normally pays around $290 and uses approximately 130 litres a day, has rejected the bill, stating it’s a mistake and refused to pay.
  • The council has asked him to prove he did not use the amount of water they have billed him for, equivalent to filling two Olympic-sized pools or running five taps nonstop daily.
  • His father attended a council meeting to seek a resolution, suggesting the water meter might be faulty, but was informed that a test would cost $50 and was unlikely to show any fault.
Have you or someone you know ever faced a similar billing blunder? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
they would know by his water bills he has got over time how much approx his bills would be, and to do this to someone who is ill also makes it so much worse for him, every bloody thing is about money nowadays , even though i live in tassie and myself on carers i would gladly send him the money to have his meter read again or checked, what the hell is australia coming to

A local Council with a computer and an intransigent female is a very dangerous albeit a very stupid animal. The Council should (1) prove that the meter is not faulty and (2) prove that the bill is legitimate. Innocence does not need to be proved; guilt does. Our utilities forget that lynch-pin of our legal system. Just because a number is in a computer does not mean that it is correct.

All councils are corporations with an ABN. They are not legitimately able to issue fines, or rates for that matter. But most people don't know this. They work on, and rely on ignorance. Australia went to a referendum twice to ask if the people wanted councils to be recognized as a third level of Government, the result on each occasion was a resounding NO! DONT PAY THE FINE, they won't take you to court, because once you know how to deal with them you cannot lose, and they know that. There is a very good, and active Common Law Group in Goulburn, they will help you to deal with these letters of demand.

Local Councils are an unnecessary third tier of government, abundant with corruption. The sooner they disappear up their own orifice, the better.

Shoalhaven City Council on the NSW South Coast has been on the receiving end of my wrath in the past.

And I never lost!

Goulburn Mulwaree Council would be a tasty target for my legal "expertise".

Last edited:
they would know by his water bills he has got over time how much approx his bills would be, and to do this to someone who is ill also makes it so much worse for him, every bloody thing is about money nowadays , even though i live in tassie and myself on carers i would gladly send him the money to have his meter read again or checked, what the hell is australia coming to
Anthony and Neil should engage a person or organisation conversant with the Australian Standard AS 3565.4—2007 "Meters for water supply Part 4: In-service compliance testing".

Trouble is there's only one such entity in the country. Or am I thinking of gas meters. 🤔

Reactions: DLHM
Wondering what we could invoice local councils for condition of roads and footpaths etc. That would become a screaming match from councils I reckon.
City/Town Councils have"outsourced" their former useful activities in regard to housing construction and now we have to run around to a bunch of business entities to get plans checked etc as well as paying Councils fees for doing sweet FA apart from putting a piece of paper on their notice-boards to advise of a planned development. The local Council where i live has the responsibility for maintaining recreational parks and boat ramps yet does sweet FA maintainance on the former and tries to doante the latter to the AFL for a "training centre" and the former to a Chinese/Australian corporation that wants to build an hotel on it. Meanwhile as of around 20 years ago the Mayor received an Honorarium of $70 000 per year and each of the Councillors $20 000 pa.They must think they are important!

Our Council's tip has been "outsourced" to a local company notorious for winning contacts and the Tip Shop charges like a wounded bull for the stuff they "recycle". Some of their costs for rusty old tools almost match those in Bunnings and cracked-up old weatherboard is $1 per metre more expensive than a local timber merchant who imports new weatherboard from Indonesia. To enter the tip and its "recycling" area costs $15 before you cross the weighbridge. I'd rather smash anything that they could recycle, as do others.

A local Council with a computer and an intransigent female is a very dangerous albeit a very stupid animal. The Council should (1) prove that the meter is not faulty and (2) prove that the bill is legitimate. Innocence does not need to be proved; guilt does. Our utilities forget that lynch-pin of our legal system. Just because a number is in a computer does not mean that it is correct.
Where does it mention a female with no intention of changing her mind please?

I wouldvtell the Council to present me with detailed info that I had used it and on what and where.

Electricity bills can tell you where your usage is, eg refrigerator pool heater air con etc so tell them to provide the same info. Put the onus on them to prove. Then go see a lawyer.

I would advise making sure that nobody else has been turning on an outside tap and using the water. I had occasion to start having huge water bills and then discovered that the neighbourhood kids had been turning my outside tap on and leaving it on, hence the high bills for water.
I had the outside tap changed so that I take it off when not using it so nobody else can turn on the water without my knowledge.

Local Councils are an unnecessary third tier of government, abundant with corruption. The sooner they disappear up their own orifice, the better.

Shoalhaven City Council on the NSW South Coast has been on the receiving end of my wrath in the past.

And I never lost!

Goulburn Mulwaree Council would be a tasty target for my legal "expertise".
True we are overgoverned by poltics

Reactions: Veggiepatch
True we are overgoverned by poltics
Local government used to be useful. Judging by the honoraria paid to Mayors, Deputy Mayors and Councillors and the outsourcing that our Councils indulge in, Local Government has become just another rort. Maybe I should stand for Councillor come the next Local government election............Oh yes, another $60 million will be spent by the Liberal State Government to build a training centre for the AFL on what is a second public recreational area so as to train young men in tight shorts to bump into each other whist kicking an oval ball, and also to train coaches to shout at them. That is two sets of public land being handed over to the AFL to build stuff at a cost to the taxpayer seeming to be $810 000 000 when there are already are such facilities available in the State.

Bludgers!

Local government used to be useful. Judging by the honoraria paid to Mayors, Deputy Mayors and Councillors and the outsourcing that our Councils indulge in, Local Government has become just another rort. Maybe I should stand for Councillor come the next Local government election............Oh yes, another $60 million will be spent by the Liberal State Government to build a training centre for the AFL on what is a second public recreational area so as to train young men in tight shorts to bump into each other whist kicking an oval ball, and also to train coaches to shout at them. That is two sets of public land being handed over to the AFL to build stuff at a cost to the taxpayer seeming to be $810 000 000 when there are already are such facilities available in the State.

Bludgers!
Unfortunately without local councils we would be further set back by the next level of government being the State politicians. The most they spend is in the big cities and the country towns already miss out.