Earn savings with this Woolworths Everyday Rewards trick - but is it worth it?

SDC members, have you signed up for any loyalty or rewards programs?

If you haven't, you're missing out: Woolworths' Everyday Rewards offers savings opportunities and bonus point deals that you can use in-store and online.

But a cautionary tale posted on Markdown Addicts Australia recently has reminded us all to be mindful when it comes to spending money to take advantage of offers.

It featured a Woolies customer's ‘boost’ deals that they received from Everyday Rewards – specifically, the offer to receive 22,500 bonus points if they spent a certain weekly amount at Woolworths.

'Pretty happy with that!' they wrote.

The shopper was two out of four weeks into a deal requiring them to ‘spend $155 at Woolworths each week for four weeks’ to receive 13000 bonus points when a new deal popped up. The latest deal required the shopper to ‘spend $230 at Woolworths each week for two weeks’ to earn 9500 bonus points.

Thus, at the end of the two weeks, if the shopper spent an additional $460 they would receive $110 in bonus points. Can you see the issue?

2a95ff8ef19a7cda0453beae4150c4426b62fad6-161x229-x0y15w1080h1536.jpeg
The shopper received an offer from Everyday Rewards that allowed him to receive 22,500 bonus points if he spent a certain weekly amount at Woolworths for a four-week period. Credit: Facebook.

A fellow shopper responded to the post, warning others to be careful when committing to spending large amounts of cash in order to benefit from bonus points and offers.

'It's becoming ridiculous because if you're doing it just to get the rewards, then it's a waste of money, as some people are spending for the sake of it when they don't need it,' the shopper said.

And this point sparked a debate among numerous other shoppers, with some agreeing with the view and some disagreeing.

Those who agreed with the cautionary advice said that spending too much money to benefit from bonus points and offers wasn't a good idea, as the savings from these deals would be wiped away by the money that was spent to earn them.

'I agree, it is ridiculous. They do it so you shop there instead of elsewhere - but elsewhere might have better specials,' added another fellow shopper.

On the other hand, those who disagreed said that there was no pressure to take advantage of these offers and that it was also an opportunity to stock up on essential items without breaking the budget.

'Spending too much is bad, but spending a little more for a good reward is still fine, in my opinion, as long as you buy groceries and household stuff that you will be using in your home,' argued one Facebook user.

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 10.22.35 AM.png
Each week, Everyday Rewards members will receive a selection of individually tailored offers via the Everyday Rewards app. Credit: Woolworths Group.

Representatives from Woolworths Everyday Rewards spoke out on the matter, reassuring shoppers that their program still helped customers achieve good savings on their yearly grocery bills.

'At Everyday Rewards, our most engaged members save hundreds of dollars each year by activating bonus point offers, shopping specials in their “my weekly picks” and redeeming fuel discounts,' an Everyday Rewards spokesperson said.

'Each week, Everyday Rewards members will receive a selection of individually tailored offers via the Everyday Rewards app. They can choose which offers to boost, based on what they plan to purchase that week, to maximise their savings at the checkout.'
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths Everyday Rewards member has urged fellow shoppers to be cautious when using some of the program's bonus offers.
  • The shopper was set to receive 22,500 bonus points ($110) if they spent another $460 within two weeks.
  • The post sparked a spirited debate among shoppers with some agreeing with the idea of not spending unnecessarily, while others disagreed.
  • An Everyday Rewards spokesperson said the program helps customers save big dollars on their yearly grocery bills.
We have to admit - Woolworths' Everyday Rewards program is a great way to save money on your weekly grocery shopping. However, it's important to be aware that spending more just to earn bonus points can actually end up costing you more than you save.

While earning bonus points can be tempting, it's essential to evaluate the overall cost of your shopping, as it's the total spend that really counts.

But as that one shopper said, if you're already spending more than a hundred dollars every week at Woolworths, then it might be worth it to get some bonus points in the end.

However, it's important to keep in mind that you should only spend more if it's practical and aligns with your regular shopping needs.

By being mindful of your spending habits and taking advantage of the Everyday Rewards program's offers and discounts, you can effectively save money on your weekly groceries without spending more than you need to.

Screen Shot 2023-02-15 at 10.22.29 AM.png
Spending money just to get a reward can really add up and might even cost more than the reward. Credit: Unsplash/Viki Mohamad.

If you're an Everyday Rewards member – or are thinking about signing up – rest assured that, with a few smart decisions here and there, you should have no problem receiving great bonuses and savings.

But don't forget, don't go spending even more money than you need to just to benefit from the rewards.

Members, have you ever found yourself in a situation where you end up spending more just to score those coveted rewards, only to realise that it sets you back instead of helping you save? Is it worth it in the long run? You’re not the only one. Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments with us.

And hey, while we're on the topic of shopping rewards, do you have other insider tips and tricks to share with your fellow members? Whether it's a secret way to maximise points or a shopping hack that saves you time and money, we'd love to hear it! Drop a comment below and let's help each other out.

Sponsored
All reward points bonuses

If you haven't, you're missing out: Woolworths' Everyday Rewards offers savings opportunities and bonus point deals that you can use in-store and online.

But a cautionary tale posted on Markdown Addicts Australia recently has reminded us all to be mindful when it comes to spending money to take advantage of offers.

It featured a Woolies customer's ‘boost’ deals that they received from Everyday Rewards – specifically, the offer to receive 22,500 bonus points if they spent a certain weekly amount at Woolworths.

The shopper was two out of four weeks into a deal requiring them to ‘spend $155 at Woolworths each week for four weeks’ to receive 13000 bonus points when a new deal popped up. The latest deal required the shopper to ‘spend $230 at Woolworths each week for two weeks’ to earn 9500 bonus points.

Thus, at the end of the two weeks, if the shopper spent an additional $460 they would receive $110 in bonus points. Can you see the issue?

View attachment 13610
The shopper received an offer from Everyday Rewards that allowed him to receive 22,500 bonus points if he spent a certain weekly amount at Woolworths for a four-week period. Credit: Facebook.

A fellow shopper responded to the post, warning others to be careful when committing to spending large amounts of cash in order to benefit from bonus points and offers.

'It's becoming ridiculous because if you're doing it just to get the rewards, then it's a waste of money, as some people are spending for the sake of it when they don't need it,' the shopper said.

And this point sparked a debate among numerous other shoppers, with some agreeing with the view and some disagreeing.

Those who agreed with the cautionary advice said that spending too much money to benefit from bonus points and offers wasn't a good idea, as the savings from these deals would be wiped away by the money that was spent to earn them.

'I agree, it is ridiculous. They do it so you shop there instead of elsewhere - but elsewhere might have better specials,' added another fellow shopper.

On the other hand, those who disagreed said that there was no pressure to take advantage of these offers and that it was also an opportunity to stock up on essential items without breaking the budget.

'Spending too much is bad, but spending a little more for a good reward is still fine, in my opinion, as long as you buy groceries and household stuff that you will be using in your home,' argued one Facebook user.

View attachment 13611
Each week, Everyday Rewards members will receive a selection of individually tailored offers via the Everyday Rewards app. Credit: Woolworths Group.

Representatives from Woolworths Everyday Rewards spoke out on the matter, reassuring shoppers that their program still helped customers achieve good savings on their yearly grocery bills.

'At Everyday Rewards, our most engaged members save hundreds of dollars each year by activating bonus point offers, shopping specials in their “my weekly picks” and redeeming fuel discounts,' an Everyday Rewards spokesperson said.

'Each week, Everyday Rewards members will receive a selection of individually tailored offers via the Everyday Rewards app. They can choose which offers to boost, based on what they plan to purchase that week, to maximise their savings at the checkout.'
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths Everyday Rewards member has urged fellow shoppers to be cautious when using some of the program's bonus offers.
  • The shopper was set to receive 22,500 bonus points ($110) if they spent another $460 within two weeks.
  • The post sparked a spirited debate among shoppers with some agreeing with the idea of not spending unnecessarily, while others disagreed.
  • An Everyday Rewards spokesperson said the program helps customers save big dollars on their yearly grocery bills.
We have to admit - Woolworths' Everyday Rewards program is a great way to save money on your weekly grocery shopping. However, it's important to be aware that spending more just to earn bonus points can actually end up costing you more than you save.

While earning bonus points can be tempting, it's essential to evaluate the overall cost of your shopping, as it's the total spend that really counts.

But as that one shopper said, if you're already spending more than a hundred dollars every week at Woolworths, then it might be worth it to get some bonus points in the end.

However, it's important to keep in mind that you should only spend more if it's practical and aligns with your regular shopping needs.

By being mindful of your spending habits and taking advantage of the Everyday Rewards program's offers and discounts, you can effectively save money on your weekly groceries without spending more than you need to.

View attachment 13612
Spending money just to get a reward can really add up and might even cost more than the reward. Credit: Unsplash/Viki Mohamad.

If you're an Everyday Rewards member – or are thinking about signing up – rest assured that, with a few smart decisions here and there, you should have no problem receiving great bonuses and savings.

But don't forget, don't go spending even more money than you need to just to benefit from the rewards.

Members, have you ever found yourself in a situation where you end up spending more just to score those coveted rewards, only to realise that it sets you back instead of helping you save? Is it worth it in the long run? You’re not the only one. Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments with us.

And hey, while we're on the topic of shopping rewards, do you have other insider tips and tricks to share with your fellow members? Whether it's a secret way to maximise points or a shopping hack that saves you time and money, we'd love to hear it! Drop a comment below and let's help each other out.
All reward points bonuses rely on people's emotions. Loyalty club members see something in it for them, gullibility kicks in and they're hooked. Make no mistake, the corporate marketing gurus are very aware that a percentage, albeit small, of loyalty club members will take up offers without considering the cost to the member. When this happens, the corporate entity makes free money at loyalty club members expense. Corporates would not do this unless there was money in it for them. Essentially it is a form of profiteering.

I limit my shopping at Woolworths to every 3rd week so these kinds of deals are useless to myself. I only purchase what I need and am not tempted to purchase extra items UNLESS it is something that I will be needing in the very near future and is on special ....... I still save $30-$40 each shop and yes, I always use a written shopping list - I would literally be lost without one!

View attachment 13610

View attachment 13611

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13612

Woolies Rewards Card is the best thing and YES you can save a lot of money over time. I used to have it transferred into Quantas points. But now I have started turned in to money for me to spend to help with the cost of groceries. Main thing is to remember to use it at ALL the places you can and the saving will be even more, sad for me I only really use it for Woolies & Woolies Petrol (location of where I live). But still I'm saving at least $50 to $70 each fortnight.

Reactions: Ricci
I do shop Woolworths and collect points but I collect on my normal shop I don't go out and buy something just for the points. If I don't need it I don't buy it. What I do as many others is save my points until Christmas so I can afford quite a few things to make Christmas nicer then have to worry. Its brilliant. Some of my family are doing the same. 🙂

View attachment 13610

View attachment 13611

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13612

I get rewards all,over the place including Woolworths. Every month 10% off my shop as I am insured with them.
Last year received my coles ly byes summery I had redeemed $600 worth of points. This month if you spend $90 a week for 4 weeks, $50 comes your way. My needs are simple so more than a usual spend, stock up on extra goods I need not want then go back to my normal shop and wait until next time.

It's all about the consumer spending money to try and get something for next tonothing nearly as bad as the scammers otherwise internet but out in the open same as the 4 cents a litre of when there are service stations in the area that are already 3 to 4 cents cheaper so where's the savings it more money 💰 for shareholders parasites 🤬
People who have little money are spending to get something for nothing, couldn’t agree more. But the something might be extra food for my cats or dog, even to buy a little present for family that would otherwise be difficult.mplease don’t think badly of people when reasons are unknown

I usually shop at Coles so I can accumulateFly Buys points for Christmas spending. When I asked the check-out person at Woolworths whether my Rewards points accumulate I was told no, that I had to spend my points monthly.
What is the real story?

I have a budget which has to cover everything I do and have,,,I put money aside every week for the car ,,I own it but associated expenses which doesn't include fuel,, and another one for the phone / internet,,there is no way I could do those massive shops,,a couple of times I was so shocked to see my shop was $130+,,,I felt so embarrassed as I didn't quite have enough cash which would mean nothing else during the week if I used it all so had to resort to part payment on my credit card which I try not to use,,it's for emergencies ,,,I would never dream of doing those shops just for points,,my $134 shop gave me 442 pts and I'm happy with that,,it all mounts up for Christmas shopping which I prefer ..be happy with what you get

I usually shop at Coles so I can accumulateFly Buys points for Christmas spending. When I asked the check-out person at Woolworths whether my Rewards points accumulate I was told no, that I had to spend my points monthly.
What is the real story?
You can save your points, I currently have $160 saved and will continue to save my points till Christmas.

Reactions: Jennylolo
Seems when you use one of these offers, eg spend $125 for 2 weeks to get xx bonus points, then your next offer will be a higher spend and the next. Beat them at their own game and ignore the offers for a while and then the spend amount comes down again. My partner and I both have rewards cards so we change the card we use to suit and it works, the bonus offers get better again.
so true. But I've never had offers that large.

It's all about the consumer spending money to try and get something for next tonothing nearly as bad as the scammers otherwise internet but out in the open same as the 4 cents a litre of when there are service stations in the area that are already 3 to 4 cents cheaper so where's the savings it more money 💰 for shareholders parasites 🤬
It's still money in your pocket and better than not having it

Seems when you use one of these offers, eg spend $125 for 2 weeks to get xx bonus points, then your next offer will be a higher spend and the next. Beat them at their own game and ignore the offers for a while and then the spend amount comes down again. My partner and I both have rewards cards so we change the card we use to suit and it works, the bonus offers get better again.
I have Woollies Extra Rewards membership and do just that. I utilise the Bonus Points when it suits me and when the items I purchase and need are on sale.

I have Woollies Extra Rewards membership and ignore some of their Bonus Points offers. You have to and spending $more just to get more points sometimes does not work out. Plus, they make offers like get 13,000 Bonus Points to some and just spend $150 each week for the next two weeks and others like myself get offered 4,500 Bonus Points when you spend anything from $90 - $125 each week for the next two weeks. Why do some get offered 13,000 Bonus Points and others 4,500 Bonus Points and all one has to do is spend $50 - $120 more in that fortnight. One group of people get $20 bonus and others are getting $50-$100 as well in that same fortnight. Woollies Rewards management 'must think' that people can not do the maths and not telling people about it and showing proof as well.

View attachment 13610

View attachment 13611

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13612

I boost everything, BUT if I spend the amount good if I don't big deal I'm NOT going to spend money just to get points. I usually get $120 to spend by Christmas anyway so it's all good.

View attachment 13610

View attachment 13611

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13612

I just boost any points they send me whatever they're for even if I don't use them. However, some of the offers are quite good and normally compare the prices with Coles.

I don't go for the spending hundreds of $$$ for so many weeks as I probably won't even need that amount of food and I'm not that desperate to collect points. Whenever I get my $10 is ok by me.

And the 4c off a litre is always useful especially combined with the 4c from my Origin Energy account 👍

I boost every offer on items I normally buy and if I don’t buy them it doesn’t matter. When offers of spend this much for 2 or 4 weeks or between Tuesday and Sunday come out if I can afford it I buy extra cleaning, tinned food, non perishables etc, then I buy less the weeks there are no offers. I usually use my points at Christmas and have anything up to $600, depending on how many times I could afford to qualify for the offers. Online shopping I don’t do anymore as I received too many unacceptable items like short use by dates on milk, fruit that was inedible, meat packs with short use by dates and that were not very good quality. I also didn’t like the way they substitute a different brand or item if they were out of stock, I’d rather do without than get something I wouldn’t use.

Reactions: Ricci and Anoush