thomas

Oct 27, 2021
DUD \ FRAUDULENT $2 COINS

fellow readers be aware ! ! !
my partner collects $2 coins, recently she showed me a $2 coin that she thought was different. she had received this in change from a shop but not realizing at the time that it was a "DUD" it is uncertain which shop.
as I examined the coin I saw that it was 2 x 5 cent coins glued together and(spray) painted gold colour to look like a $2 coin
Fellow readers, when shopping and being handed cash (coins) back it is very easy to not notice anything wrong because you don't want to be holding up the queue and that's understandable, BUT if you receive 2 or 3 of these then you have lost $4 and ended up with 4 x 5cent coins that you can't even use, AND, if you try to pass them off in another shop and get caught you are the one that could be in trouble for passing counterfeit money.
this may just have been a "one-off" event, but then again it could be that there are several of these "DUDS" floating around out there (anywhere), so, I say to you, "so what if you hold up the queue for a few seconds" take those few (10) seconds and check your change, especially the $2 coins
I have kept the "DUD" coin as a reminder and I have rubbed the gold paint off so that she doesn't mistake it again

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 49
my partner collects $2 coins, recently she showed me a $2 coin that she thought was different. she had received this in change from a shop but not realizing at the time that it was a "DUD" it is uncertain which shop.
as I examined the coin I saw that it was 2 x 5 cent coins glued together and(spray) painted gold colour to look like a $2 coin
Fellow readers, when shopping and being handed cash (coins) back it is very easy to not notice anything wrong because you don't want to be holding up the queue and that's understandable, BUT if you receive 2 or 3 of these then you have lost $4 and ended up with 4 x 5cent coins that you can't even use, AND, if you try to pass them off in another shop and get caught you are the one that could be in trouble for passing counterfeit money.
this may just have been a "one-off" event, but then again it could be that there are several of these "DUDS" floating around out there (anywhere), so, I say to you, "so what if you hold up the queue for a few seconds" take those few (10) seconds and check your change, especially the $2 coins
I have kept the "DUD" coin as a reminder and I have rubbed the gold paint off so that she doesn't mistake it again
im sorry that you were dudded... theres no end to the trickery these days..

Maybe OK to use as a token for an Aldi's shopping trolley.

Reactions: Liag and Phyll
Maybe OK to use as a token for an Aldi's shopping trolley.
that thought had crossed my mind, I haven't tried it yet but as the double 5 cent ccoin is just that slightly bit smaller in diameter it might not work , but, I might just give it a try.

I'm so sorry about this :( Thank you for spreading awareness...
yeah, thanks but it's ok. the point I am making is don't just take your change and put it in your pocket or purse, don't be so NONCHALANT but exercise caution when being handed loose change especially $2 coins, it only takes a few short seconds to check that you have been given the correct change and that you haven't been given one of these dud coins, once you have taken it out of sight and put it in your pocket or purse you have no claim that you received it from that shop.

Thanks for the heads up

that thought had crossed my mind, I haven't tried it yet but as the double 5 cent ccoin is just that slightly bit smaller in diameter it might not work , but, I might just give it a try.
Actually I use an Aldi token but now I have added a lanyard to it because the other day it jumped out and disappeared under the trolleys.

Reactions: Thecla