Don't let this fried food ruin your metabolism! Find out why you shouldn't eat it

Burgers, chicken nuggets, fried chicken...it’s hard to imagine a fast food menu without these delectable crowd favourites. But while they may taste heavenly and seem like the perfect meal to curb hunger pangs, did you know that these food options aren’t exactly ideal for your health?

Keeping a balanced diet is always important, regardless of your age, lifestyle, or fitness goals (especially if you’re trying to maintain a healthy weight and shed some pounds). Unfortunately, it can be difficult for many people as they age because our metabolism naturally begins to slow down over time.

Processed fast food is notorious for being high in calories, unhealthy fats, and sodium, which can make it challenging to lose weight as you get older. These high-fat, high-sodium foods add unnecessary calories to your daily intake and don't have many nutrients to help your body stay healthy.

Speaking of fast food items, did you know that there's one meal that we should all avoid consuming once we reach the age of 40?

We all know that constantly eating non-nutritious and fatty foods like hot chips can do more harm than good. But, did you know that this popular finger food, in particular, can lead to an increased risk of contracting several health concerns such as heart disease, diabetes, and even cancer?

pexels-photo-70497.jpeg

A nutrition expert revealed that you should avoid consuming this popular fast food item when you reach the age of 40 as it can increase your risks of contracting health issues such as heart problems and cancer. Credit: Pexels/Robin Stickel.

On a smaller scale, eating too many chips can also lead to a slower metabolic rate and unwanted weight gain.

This is partly because chips are high in fat and calories but offer almost no nutritional value.

'Not only are [hot chips] high in fat—they are empty calorie foods, which means they don't contain substantial nutrients, they only give calories, which won't be helpful for weight management and health in general,' Registered Dietitian and nutrition writer for Living.Fit Catherine Gervacio explained.

Excess consumption of trans fats, on the other hand, can contribute to nutrient deficiencies, depression, and diseases such as Alzheimer's and diabetes.

Processed snacks like hot chips can be stored for a long period and only require little energy for the body to digest, which can affect our metabolism as we age, according to experts.

Fortunately, you don't have to completely forgo hot chips if you want to lose weight. This starchy snack can be prepared in a number of healthy ways that won't overwhelm your system with fat, salt, and oil.

pexels-photo-1583884.jpeg

Preparing your chips by baking or air frying is much preferable to purchasing them from fast food restaurants. Credit: Pexels/Dzenina Lukac.

In fact, you might want to try making your own healthier version of hot chips in your very own kitchen.

Gervacio said that you can opt to bake your own potatoes instead of consuming the ones that come from a bag or fast-food restaurant. By doing so, you can ensure that they are free of any harmful ingredients and can avoid consuming trans fats.

Even better, you could opt for a fryer that doesn't use oil to cook the potatoes, such as an air fryer. They don't use extra, unhealthy oil, either.

The revelation has shocked many social media users, with some saying that they refuse to refrain from eating their favourite fast food item, simply because they're at the age where they just want to experience things that give them joy.

One person wrote: 'At 79, I think I'll continue to eat hot chips. Life is to be enjoyed, not to see how long we can live depriving ourselves.'

'Once you're old, does it really matter what you eat? Do you really want to abstain from every enjoyable food/drink just to live into your 90s, or would you trade off extreme old age for eating what you want?' another questioned.

A third chimed in: 'My favourite food. And I am over 60.'

Some users claimed that air frying chips is better than deep frying them in oil.

One user shared: 'I bought an air fryer specifically for REAL hot chips. None of those out-of-the-box or bag chips. They're awesome.'

Others argued that any food can be eaten for as long as you consume them in moderation.

One comment read: 'If you are not overweight or have other health issues then chips in moderation are perfectly fine.'

'The real key to any food is moderation, with a little balance you can pretty much eat most things without substantial risk.'

'As my Doctor said: "You can eat anything, as long as it's in moderation". These so-called "experts" are a bunch of snake-oil salesmen!' another claimed.

Key Takeaways

• Hot chips are high in fat and calories and offer virtually no nutritional value.
  • Eating too many hot chips can lead to a slower metabolism and unwanted weight gain.
  • There are plenty of healthy ways to cook up potatoes that don't involve loading your body with fat, salt, and oil.

While we are not health experts, we encourage you to check in with your healthcare provider to see which foods are healthy to be consumed in moderate amounts and which ones you should avoid.

How about you? What are your thoughts on this claim? Do you agree that you should refrain from eating hot chips?

Sponsored
We all know that fried food isn't good for you and fried chips do not have any value.

I love potato and I love hot chips , I have limited my hot chips for awhile now but I won't cut them completely.

My kids ( 17, 19, 21 ) cook their chips in the airfryer they are nice but just not the same.

I limit my over all fat intake.
Although the only thing I'm really tolerating atm is milkshakes, yoghurt , steamed vegies and fruit.

Everything is OK but in moderation

Last edited:
Burgers, chicken nuggets, fried chicken...it’s hard to imagine a fast food menu without these delectable crowd favourites. But while they may taste heavenly and seem like the perfect meal to curb hunger pangs, did you know that these food options aren’t exactly ideal for your health?

Keeping a balanced diet is always important, regardless of your age, lifestyle, or fitness goals (especially if you’re trying to maintain a healthy weight and shed some pounds). Unfortunately, it can be difficult for many people as they age because our metabolism naturally begins to slow down over time.

Processed fast food is notorious for being high in calories, unhealthy fats, and sodium, which can make it challenging to lose weight as you get older. These high-fat, high-sodium foods add unnecessary calories to your daily intake and don't have many nutrients to help your body stay healthy.

Speaking of fast food items, did you know that there's one meal that we should all avoid consuming once we reach the age of 40?

We all know that constantly eating non-nutritious and fatty foods like hot chips can do more harm than good. But, did you know that this popular finger food, in particular, can lead to an increased risk of contracting several health concerns such as heart disease, diabetes, and even cancer?

pexels-photo-70497.jpeg

A nutrition expert revealed that you should avoid consuming this popular fast food item when you reach the age of 40 as it can increase your risks of contracting health issues such as heart problems and cancer. Credit: Pexels/Robin Stickel.

On a smaller scale, eating too many chips can also lead to a slower metabolic rate and unwanted weight gain.

This is partly because chips are high in fat and calories but offer almost no nutritional value.

'Not only are [hot chips] high in fat—they are empty calorie foods, which means they don't contain substantial nutrients, they only give calories, which won't be helpful for weight management and health in general,' Registered Dietitian and nutrition writer for Living.Fit Catherine Gervacio explained.

Excess consumption of trans fats, on the other hand, can contribute to nutrient deficiencies, depression, and diseases such as Alzheimer's and diabetes.

Processed snacks like hot chips can be stored for a long period and only require little energy for the body to digest, which can affect our metabolism as we age, according to experts.

Fortunately, you don't have to completely forgo hot chips if you want to lose weight. This starchy snack can be prepared in a number of healthy ways that won't overwhelm your system with fat, salt, and oil.

Preparing your chips by baking or air frying is much preferable to purchasing them from fast food restaurants. Credit: Pexels/Dzenina Lukac.

In fact, you might want to try making your own healthier version of hot chips in your very own kitchen.

Gervacio said that you can opt to bake your own potatoes instead of consuming the ones that come from a bag or fast-food restaurant. By doing so, you can ensure that they are free of any harmful ingredients and can avoid consuming trans fats.

Even better, you could opt for a fryer that doesn't use oil to cook the potatoes, such as an air fryer. They don't use extra, unhealthy oil, either.

The revelation has shocked many social media users, with some saying that they refuse to refrain from eating their favourite fast food item, simply because they're at the age where they just want to experience things that give them joy.

One person wrote: 'At 79, I think I'll continue to eat hot chips. Life is to be enjoyed, not to see how long we can live depriving ourselves.'

'Once you're old, does it really matter what you eat? Do you really want to abstain from every enjoyable food/drink just to live into your 90s, or would you trade off extreme old age for eating what you want?' another questioned.

Some users claimed that air frying chips is better than deep frying them in oil.

One user shared: 'I bought an air fryer specifically for REAL hot chips. None of those out-of-the-box or bag chips. They're awesome.'

Others argued that any food can be eaten for as long as you consume them in moderation.

One comment read: 'If you are not overweight or have other health issues then chips in moderation are perfectly fine.'

'The real key to any food is moderation, with a little balance you can pretty much eat most things without substantial risk.'

'As my Doctor said: "You can eat anything, as long as it's in moderation". These so-called "experts" are a bunch of snake-oil salesmen!' another claimed.

Key Takeaways

• Hot chips are high in fat and calories and offer virtually no nutritional value.
  • Eating too many hot chips can lead to a slower metabolism and unwanted weight gain.
  • There are plenty of healthy ways to cook up potatoes that don't involve loading your body with fat, salt, and oil.

While we are not health experts, we encourage you to check in with your healthcare provider to see which foods are healthy to be consumed in moderate amounts and which ones you should avoid.

How about you? What are your thoughts on this claim? Do you agree that you should refrain from eating hot chips?
What a load of rubbish, these people were put on this planet just to take the joy out of living.

pexels-photo-70497.jpeg

Key Takeaways

The biggest thing with these foods is they are all fried in seed oils. Vegetable oils they call them but they are just rubbish. Poison to humans. We should be eating natural fats like butter, avocado, lard, dripping and ghee. Also most of the fast foods just turn to glucose in your system (as does all carbohydrates) which leads to high glucose loads that your body can't handle, excess insulin and the risk of type 2 diabetes and the subsequent serious health issues like heart attacks, strokes and limb amputations. Many think it's bad to cut out any food group but the truth is, that is exactly what vegans and vegetarians do but if those of us who cut out carbohydrates (fruit, vegetalables and grains (and seed oils)) we are vilified. Just love my carnivore diet with a little bit of dairy. If you must eat fruit, eat berries, if you must eat veg stick to the green ones

I'm sick of hearing the crap these so called experts keep spewing out at us, the biggest problem with food nowadays is the preservatives and additives that are put into it, if we stopped eating everything that they say is going to cause this or that we'd starve to death anyway. If i like something I'll eat it.

We all know that fried food isn't good for you and fried chips do not have any value.

I love potato and I love hot chips , I have limited my hot chips for awhile now but I won't cut them completely.

My kids ( 17, 19, 21 ) cook their chips in the airfryer they are nice but just not the same.

Although the only thing I'm really tolerating atm is milkshakes, yoghurt , steamed vegies and fruit.

I agree with your statement about hot chips not being good for you, they can be harmful if eaten too often or in large quantities.
Suzanne Rose, I hope you are not unwell, you are not eating much of a variety.
Although I guess it's the essentials you are tolerating.
I do love the wonderful aroma of hot chips, but can honestly say I've had none this year.
I will not cook them myself, as it would be too easy to cook them too often, and I don't buy takeaways on my own.
So, I have no-one to buy any with!

pexels-photo-70497.jpeg

Key Takeaways

I'm about to start my 92nd year, and recently had a full medical checkup with scans, etc. According to my doc I'm healthier than most folk in their 60's - and appear 20 years younger than my actual age!
Shared a harmonious 65-year marriage (until my wife's recent passing due to bone cancer). I've never smoked, briskly walk the dog for 1-1&1/2 hours every dawn, drink a single glass of red wine 5 times a week. For the past 12+ years I've lived on the 5+2 diet (maximum of 600 calories 2 days a week - the other 5 I can eat what I like, in moderation) and use an air fryer for fries or roasted food.
Incidentally, Kmart sell a $12 raised basket that converts a convection oven into an 'air fryer", cooking food in roughly half the time, e.g. butterflied boneless chicken that's cheaper, better tasting, and healthier than BBQ'd.

The biggest thing with these foods is they are all fried in seed oils. Vegetable oils they call them but they are just rubbish. Poison to humans. We should be eating natural fats like butter, avocado, lard, dripping and ghee. Also most of the fast foods just turn to glucose in your system (as does all carbohydrates) which leads to high glucose loads that your body can't handle, excess insulin and the risk of type 2 diabetes and the subsequent serious health issues like heart attacks, strokes and limb amputations. Many think it's bad to cut out any food group but the truth is, that is exactly what vegans and vegetarians do but if those of us who cut out carbohydrates (fruit, vegetalables and grains (and seed oils)) we are vilified. Just love my carnivore diet with a little bit of dairy. If you must eat fruit, eat berries, if you must eat veg stick to the green ones
Spot on Lizzie, fat is not the enemy sugar is!... so my daughter tells me..

Reactions: Jennie and Ricci

Me too I have maintained a good weight over last 40 years 83kg 183cm tall

pexels-photo-70497.jpeg

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Ricci
I agree with your statement about hot chips not being good for you, they can be harmful if eaten too often or in large quantities.
Suzanne Rose, I hope you are not unwell, you are not eating much of a variety.
Although I guess it's the essentials you are tolerating.
I do love the wonderful aroma of hot chips, but can honestly say I've had none this year.
I will not cook them myself, as it would be too easy to cook them too often, and I don't buy takeaways on my own.
So, I have no-one to buy any with!
Today I just managed to eat tuna and salad. Problems with my stomach from surgery gone wrong , I have trouble tolerating most food. My daughter yesterday said I don't look good, she is a nurse so today I've started on all the vitamins she gave me . I look at it at least I'm alive

Today I just managed to eat tuna and salad. Problems with my stomach from surgery gone wrong , I have trouble tolerating most food. My daughter yesterday said I don't look good, she is a nurse so today I've started on all the vitamins she gave me . I look at it at least I'm alive
My good friend had her gallbladder and bile duct removed years ago. She's had issues ever since. She was told by a specialist that her problems stem from the small % risk of surgery that wasn't a success. Over the years, she has personally found out what foods affect her. Every now and then, she takes probiotics for her bowels which help her, especially after antibiotics that knock her around. The vitamins will help you too.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
My good friend had her gallbladder and bile duct removed years ago. She's had issues ever since. She was told by a specialist that her problems stem from the small % risk of surgery that wasn't a success. Over the years, she has personally found out what foods affect her. Every now and then, she takes probiotics for her bowels which help her, especially after antibiotics that knock her around. The vitamins will help you too.
I had my gallbladder and umbilical hernia out Nov 2019 although it was the gallbladder I went to him for the hernia wasn't a problem., at the last visit before surgery, the surgeon noticed I had a umbilical hernia which never bothered me, he said he had to go through there so why not remove it then , he said it's an easy operation. That was all that was mentioned

Fast forward, he did both surgeries together and added mesh
After 6 weeks I was still in pain and now had heaps of ooze coming out through belly button.
Everything I went back to him he made me feel like a hypochondriac.
He was arrogant and rude.
I went to see another surgeon and he was shocked.
He put me on strong antibiotics.
I also had a growth popping through wich was scar tissue through the infection.

Fast forward April 2021 I had surgery and 5 days in hospital he did a debridement.

I had a community nurse coming out to change bandages.
Unfortunately after 4 weeks it showed infection was still there.
I had so many courses of antibiotics and one time the surgeon cut off the granulation the growth and a stitch popped through , he then thought that this could have been the problem.

But no the infection continued
May this year I went in for more surgery.
He had to remove the mesh.
I lost 8 cm of my abdominal wall plus my whole umbilicus.

He found that the original Surgeon had stitched and stappled the mesh to my bowel which caused a small hole.
He had to fix both the small and large bowel.

The mesh that was used was also recalled 3 years before my surgery.

It has also been seen that there was no written consent for the hernia surgery . He also never explained about mesh or anything.

Also he should never had done both the surgeries at the same time.
I had to leave work as I'm too sick.

I had my gallbladder and umbilical hernia out Nov 2019 although it was the gallbladder I went to him for the hernia wasn't a problem., at the last visit before surgery, the surgeon noticed I had a umbilical hernia which never bothered me, he said he had to go through there so why not remove it then , he said it's an easy operation. That was all that was mentioned

Fast forward, he did both surgeries together and added mesh
After 6 weeks I was still in pain and now had heaps of ooze coming out through belly button.
Everything I went back to him he made me feel like a hypochondriac.
He was arrogant and rude.
I went to see another surgeon and he was shocked.
He put me on strong antibiotics.
I also had a growth popping through wich was scar tissue through the infection.

Fast forward April 2021 I had surgery and 5 days in hospital he did a debridement.

I had a community nurse coming out to change bandages.
Unfortunately after 4 weeks it showed infection was still there.
I had so many courses of antibiotics and one time the surgeon cut off the granulation the growth and a stitch popped through , he then thought that this could have been the problem.

But no the infection continued
May this year I went in for more surgery.
He had to remove the mesh.
I lost 8 cm of my abdominal wall plus my whole umbilicus.

He found that the original Surgeon had stitched and stappled the mesh to my bowel which caused a small hole.
He had to fix both the small and large bowel.

The mesh that was used was also recalled 3 years before my surgery.

It has also been seen that there was no written consent for the hernia surgery . He also never explained about mesh or anything.

Also he should never had done both the surgeries at the same time.
I had to leave work as I'm too sick.
Feel so, so sorry for you Suzanne. 🫤
Nothing worse than infection after infection! Must have been a staph infection, as it was so difficult to get rid of. Plus, extremely painful for you also.
Some hospitals are rife with infections/staph.
As with everything, there are good Doctors and bad Doctors.
My friend had her operation in a public hospital, but that shouldn't have made a scrap of difference.
Bad Doctors who don't know the answer always blame the patient.
It's a well known fact.
Unfortunately, you received the blunt end of that bad Doctor.
No doubt, it will take a long time to heal and recover from your painful experience and suffering.
In saying that, I sincerely hope you get well soon, as there will be light at the end of the tunnel. 😘