Don't ignore back pain: X-rays reveal the importance of seeing a doctor right away

As embarrassing as it is to admit, most of the time, we tend to ignore and push through the discomfort whenever our backs hurt. We chalk up our backaches to nothing more than a strained muscle from doing household chores, prolonged periods of inactivity, like sitting and reading, or honestly, our age.

Recently, though, shocking pictures were posted online revealing why you should never ignore common pains, especially in your back.

GTsCux_ekLXkIBjrCiPafi8dsGbxJIhOTZHokXVbw_5XcEggtB3VozpvKyDZe3y7_ngWlAtamgHbJ1wcEIduHE8TcEJUdPrTi2FJ2rdZbfx7mxYo-SK9ObVSWV57ZrWsr3vxAxVAg8nAMf0fI1DUTLhsrAIaQPqVKTBDQWpfHOiZlLhkWt8OFd5QzQ

A woman who suffered from back pain for two months had shocking X-ray results. Credit: The New England Journal of Medicine.

According to a report from The Sun, a woman in her late thirties had been experiencing back discomfort and only decided to seek medical attention after two months. Even though she has a history of osteoporosis in her family, it was unclear why she waited such a long time to get the help she needed.

The woman was given a thorough physical examination, and at first, the doctors didn't find anything out of the ordinary. But when they took a number of X-rays, they discovered that she had a medical condition called 'sandwich vertebrae'.

This is a condition in which the thoracic spine has sclerotic bands—this means that the bones have reacted badly to the growing process. Doctors also noticed that she had developed a 'bone inside a bone' as a result of this condition.

Despite the absence of fractures, the woman was nevertheless sent for additional testing, and it was there that doctors discovered that her osteoporosis is unlike anything they'd seen before.

The tests revealed that she had a gene mutation known as autosomal dominant osteopetrosis, or Albers-Schönberg's disease.

Formerly known as 'marble bones’, this condition was initially identified by Albers-Schönberg in 1904, hence the name.

This disorder usually starts in late childhood or early adolescence and causes the bones to calcify, making the skeleton much denser than normal.

As a result, the person is more likely to experience pain and breakages in their bones. Most of the time, the condition is passed down from parent to child, and this is usually the case when an adult is diagnosed with it.

gqGyVHw2VTMKAoRR7uMyC4bA_TTrDNSenh3L3Mlgn4HuD75aNMHTPSn7HmR1THYEVuYBpEhOc4qjcMejKWkXs41KZNzzpYIvVyKM5viUC46l5VniRpVsgsqvFH_Haj5lQHPJVvee-areoV7VQ_uYTzBF6ldFkzydWG5WhKiAhaKo_9Ys7Ec5J9TWLg

You should have your back checked at the first sign of pain or discomfort. Credit: Stock. (Stock photo)

'Osteoclasts in patients with this condition are unable to resorb bone, which causes bone density to increase, primarily in the spine, the pelvis, and the base of the skull,' said the medical experts at the University Minho School of Medicine.

'The radiographic findings of sandwich vertebrae and bone within bone strongly suggest the diagnosis and should prompt genetic testing.'

Fortunately, the woman was able to acquire the treatment and rehabilitation services she needed. There were no reports of further fractures in her back after a few years, and her condition considerably improved.

Take this as a warning, members: if you've been in pain or discomfort for more than a couple of weeks and over-the-counter medications haven't helped, it's time to make an appointment with your doctor.

Finding the source of pain or discomfort early on can prevent it from worsening into a more serious health problem. Stay safe always, everyone!

Sponsored
I was thrown down the steps at Berrida Red Cross Childrens Home when I was 10 by one of the nurses and suffered back pain which left me unable to stand up and incontinent for a week but had no one to complain to. I was pulled out of bed and told to stand up, that I was just putting on an act. I learnt to live with pain until I was 28 when I had an Xray of my spine only to find a piece of my spine had completely , broken and was 3 mm away from the spine, nerves were being crushed whenever I moved.As it was so long before I got medical help there was nothing they could do to help.I have lived with pain all my life, I can blot out some sometimes, and other times just have to go to bed. I walk with a limp now because of how I was treated in the Childrens Home.
What a terrible story- do you have any recourse through the Royal commission that was set up to investigate institutional child abuse? I’m so sorry that you were treated like that - how sad and alone you must have felt😞

Reactions: Ricci
I was thrown down the steps at Berrida Red Cross Childrens Home when I was 10 by one of the nurses and suffered back pain which left me unable to stand up and incontinent for a week but had no one to complain to. I was pulled out of bed and told to stand up, that I was just putting on an act. I learnt to live with pain until I was 28 when I had an Xray of my spine only to find a piece of my spine had completely , broken and was 3 mm away from the spine, nerves were being crushed whenever I moved.As it was so long before I got medical help there was nothing they could do to help.I have lived with pain all my life, I can blot out some sometimes, and other times just have to go to bed. I walk with a limp now because of how I was treated in the Childrens Home.
That is so wrong in so many ways.
Can I ask how old you are ?
I am sure there is something that can be done about how you were treated, that was child abuse .
What have the doctors said , can they help you.

Everyone here are good listeners you are not alone.

Reactions: Ezzy
I too have stenosis of the spine, after working all my life and changing jobs as I could do stuff, I'm now 62 and can't do more than sit around, I looked forward to retirement but now I wish I'd done more when I could have...and I had to fight for a year to get a disability pension now I can't work any longer!! And yet I see people who are fit and with a lot of acting have got on disability!!
I feel for you.
I unfortunately need to apply for a disability pension as I can no longer work I'm turning 61 in a couple of weeks
I've worked up to 2 years ago but can't any more due to both physical pain and mental anxiety. My brother whom I don't see and is 4 years younger than me gets a disability pension because he is an alcoholic , r this is really not fare

Reactions: Ezzy
Don't ever listen to my advice on medical issues as I don't trust doctors especially surgeon's and they now want to do more surgery
Perhaps not but you can speak of your experiences giving people considering an operation feedback on what questions they should be asking a surgeon before considering to go ahead.

When l was in my 40's l needed an emergency op on my back. Unknown to me at the time, the surgeon had just returned from holiday ( not sure if this is why things went wrong ). In recovery l tried to rip the oxygen mask off. The pain was worse than before the op. I was returned to theatre, more surgery & then to a ward where l was kept on morphine for pain. Transferred after a week to another hospital's psych section, discharged 6 days later & ended up back in hospital the following day where the op was done again by the same surgeon relieving pain. Later during a phone conversation he admitted to leaving something in. What this was he didn't say. I did wonder if all the manilla folders on the corner of his desk were malpractice suits.

• Sad
I feel for you.
I unfortunately need to apply for a disability pension as I can no longer work I'm turning 61 in a couple of weeks
I've worked up to 2 years ago but can't any more due to both physical pain and mental anxiety. My brother whom I don't see and is 4 years younger than me gets a disability pension because he is an alcoholic , r this is really not fare
At about age 50 l was put on a DSP. This came with help from my G.P. but was not easy. When the first decision was made l appealed & was successful.

We knew of a gent who had 2 children who were diabetics, had a beeper in case they were unwell at school & had a "licence" not to work. Alcoholism is self inflicted isn't it? I agree with you, not fair. Why should he receive a DSP?

"Australia, the welfare nation". All too often l personally see new Australians who are of working age but do not & collect welfare benefits. Others where the wife works, hubi has a side business with an income which is undeclared. How are these people allowed to get away with this?
What about giving benefits to genuine people??? Give help to the greedy, stuff the needy.

• Sad
No, my home is on a hill, an awful lot of houses would go totally under before my home had water lapping at it. Thank Goodness. My heart goes out to all those less fortunate.🥰🥰
I heard that the south Coast was going to get alot of rain , my daughter and her family are heading down near Bega. We come back and she goes.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
When I was 24, I was a passenger in a car which was squashed by a transport truck which went through a red light.
I struggled for months, having physiotherapy 3 times a week and swimming 3 times a week.
Didn't help at all, the ruptured discs were causing pressure on the left and right sciatic nerves, so I had persistent, constant sciatica with severe low back pain.
Two years later, I couldn't lift either leg, I couldn't step up and couldn't drive anymore.
I was given 2 options.....do nothing, and end up in a wheelchair within 6 months.
Or, undergo a spinal fusion, using bone from my iliac crest as the graft material. I was given a 50% chance of it being successful or not, if not, I'd be in a wheelchair from the operation.
This meant the outcome would be the same, so I accepted the offer of a spinal fusion.
This was in the days before MRIs or CT scans.
Thankfully, the surgery was successful, but I did have to spend 8 months flat on my back.
However, the sciatica still comes and goes, so I have endured sciatica for more than half a century.

When I was 24, I was a passenger in a car which was squashed by a transport truck which went through a red light.
I struggled for months, having physiotherapy 3 times a week and swimming 3 times a week.
Didn't help at all, the ruptured discs were causing pressure on the left and right sciatic nerves, so I had persistent, constant sciatica with severe low back pain.
Two years later, I couldn't lift either leg, I couldn't step up and couldn't drive anymore.
I was given 2 options.....do nothing, and end up in a wheelchair within 6 months.
Or, undergo a spinal fusion, using bone from my iliac crest as the graft material. I was given a 50% chance of it being successful or not, if not, I'd be in a wheelchair from the operation.
This meant the outcome would be the same, so I accepted the offer of a spinal fusion.
Thankfully, the surgery was successful, but I did have to spend 8 months flat on my back.
However, the sciatica still comes and goes, so I have endured sciatica for more than half a century.
Omg my husband suffers sciatica and I remember for 12 months he slept on the floor and couldn't even sit in a chair. He was told to do an operation which he declined.

He tried everything under the sun . He found walking alot helped but strangely it was a sports physio that helped.

I hope they find something that will relieve the pain. One positive you never ended up in a wheelchair

Luckily this worked for you to a point but what an aweful choice. Like flipping a coin with neither guaranteed to work & at a young age too. I couldn't imagine laying flat on my back for 8 months.