Don't get taken advantage of by scammers this holiday season!

As the silly season rapidly approaches, we know that many of our members will be doing their Christmas shopping – both in-person and online.

You might get tired of hearing the same warnings over and over again, but with all of the hustle and bustle that comes along with this time of year, it’s easy to get caught up in sales and let your guard down when it comes to scams.

That's why we're here to remind you to be extra vigilant over the next few weeks, as cybercriminals are poised to take advantage of shoppers who might be more distracted than usual.

As the number of holiday season scams continues to rise, the Australian Federal Police have warned Aussies to avoid clicking on links in suspicious messages. They also urged people to be wary of fake delivery scams that could cost thousands of dollars. You can read more about that here.

According to the federal agency, scammers will be more active in December as they go after victims who may be more stressed – and as a result, more inattentive.

scam1.jpg
Be wary of fake delivery scams this Christmas. Credit: Polina Tankilevitch/Pexels

Chris Goldsmid, Cybercrime Operations Commander of the AFP, warned shoppers to be ‘extremely sceptical’ of messages that ask them to click on links.

He said: ‘Cyber criminals often impersonate trusted brands, such as legitimate parcel delivery services, to send messages designed to trick consumers into clicking on URLs containing harmful malware or providing personal information.’

He added that the sophisticated scam may include a technique called ‘spoofing’, wherein scammers make their messages look legitimate by using real company logos and fake sender details.

‘The messages would often ask people to click a link to track their package, confirm their delivery address or redirect or collect their package,’ Mr Goldsmid explained.

He continued that clicking on the link might lead to a fake company website, where victims are asked to enter personal or financial details to complete the ‘delivery’.

scam2.jpg
These scammers are now using high-tech systems for illegal activities. Credit: Negative Space/Pexels

Additionally, there’s also a chance for these scammers to immediately install harmful malware on your device if you click on the links. This enables cybercriminals to access your personal data and infect your device.

Tell-tale signs of a scam message to look out for are grammatical errors, the usage of American language in some cases, odd-looking links, requests for personal information, or an unexplained sense of urgency.

‘If something doesn’t feel right, take the time to verify the request with the organisation using the contact information listed on their website,’ Mr Goldsmid added.

If you or someone you know fell victim to similar scams, contact the bank immediately to stop any transactions from getting through. Also, if you have received suspicious messages, report them immediately to the ACCC website.
Key Takeaways

• The Australian Federal Police has warned Australians not to click on links in messages as reports of festive season scams increase.
  • Cyber criminals will be more active in December as they seek to prey on victims who may be more stressed or inattentive than usual.
  • AFP cybercrime operations commander Chris Goldsmid said shoppers should be extremely sceptical of any messages where they are asked to click on links.
  • The messages would often ask people to click a link to track their passage, confirm their delivery address or redirect or collect their package.
  • Clicking on a link could lead to a fake company website where the victim is asked to enter their personal or financial details to complete the delivery.
  • People who receive one of these messages should report it to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s website, while those who believe they have fallen victim to cybercrime should immediately contact their bank and file a report.
We hope this helps you protect yourself against scammers this holiday season! If you want to spot more warning signs of scams, you can read our previous article here, and you can also read through our Scam Watch forum for more information.

Sponsored
As the silly season rapidly approaches, we know that many of our members will be doing their Christmas shopping – both in-person and online.

You might get tired of hearing the same warnings over and over again, but with all of the hustle and bustle that comes along with this time of year, it’s easy to get caught up in sales and let your guard down when it comes to scams.

That's why we're here to remind you to be extra vigilant over the next few weeks, as cybercriminals are poised to take advantage of shoppers who might be more distracted than usual.

As the number of holiday season scams continues to rise, the Australian Federal Police have warned Aussies to avoid clicking on links in suspicious messages. They also urged people to be wary of fake delivery scams that could cost thousands of dollars. You can read more about that here.

According to the federal agency, scammers will be more active in December as they go after victims who may be more stressed – and as a result, more inattentive.

View attachment 10330
Be wary of fake delivery scams this Christmas. Credit: Polina Tankilevitch/Pexels

Chris Goldsmid, Cybercrime Operations Commander of the AFP, warned shoppers to be ‘extremely sceptical’ of messages that ask them to click on links.

He said: ‘Cyber criminals often impersonate trusted brands, such as legitimate parcel delivery services, to send messages designed to trick consumers into clicking on URLs containing harmful malware or providing personal information.’

He added that the sophisticated scam may include a technique called ‘spoofing’, wherein scammers make their messages look legitimate by using real company logos and fake sender details.

‘The messages would often ask people to click a link to track their package, confirm their delivery address or redirect or collect their package,’ Mr Goldsmid explained.

He continued that clicking on the link might lead to a fake company website, where victims are asked to enter personal or financial details to complete the ‘delivery’.

View attachment 10331
These scammers are now using high-tech systems for illegal activities. Credit: Negative Space/Pexels

Additionally, there’s also a chance for these scammers to immediately install harmful malware on your device if you click on the links. This enables cybercriminals to access your personal data and infect your device.

Tell-tale signs of a scam message to look out for are grammatical errors, the usage of American language in some cases, odd-looking links, requests for personal information, or an unexplained sense of urgency.

‘If something doesn’t feel right, take the time to verify the request with the organisation using the contact information listed on their website,’ Mr Goldsmid added.

If you or someone you know fell victim to similar scams, contact the bank immediately to stop any transactions from getting through. Also, if you have received suspicious messages, report them immediately to the ACCC website.
Key Takeaways

• The Australian Federal Police has warned Australians not to click on links in messages as reports of festive season scams increase.
  • Cyber criminals will be more active in December as they seek to prey on victims who may be more stressed or inattentive than usual.
  • AFP cybercrime operations commander Chris Goldsmid said shoppers should be extremely sceptical of any messages where they are asked to click on links.
  • The messages would often ask people to click a link to track their passage, confirm their delivery address or redirect or collect their package.
  • Clicking on a link could lead to a fake company website where the victim is asked to enter their personal or financial details to complete the delivery.
  • People who receive one of these messages should report it to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s website, while those who believe they have fallen victim to cybercrime should immediately contact their bank and file a report.
We hope this helps you protect yourself against scammers this holiday season! If you want to spot more warning signs of scams, you can read our previous article here, and you can also read through our Scam Watch forum for more information.
Hi, Maybe, it is a good time for the likes of Coles, Woolworths and similar players, to stop sending out Emails with 'click' links to gain rewards or points. Sooner or later, Scammers will start creating look-a-like Emails; as they have already done in other cases, and catch many unwary people. We for one, have mostly stopped clicking on links, in almost all Emails, as we can no longer be completely certain what is genuine and fake. Better to sure than sorry. FCB 🤔

View attachment 10330

View attachment 10331

Key Takeaways

• People who receive one of these messages should report it to the Australian I I Competition and Consumer Commission’s website, while those who believe they have fallen victim to cybercrime should immediately contact their bank and file a report.

I do not click on any link , even if it’s from someone I know on messenger.. they could have been hacked .. recently a company I have purchased from repeatedly sent me multiple emails with a link each time to buy more product.. I got annoyed and asked their office to stop sending these emails.. their reply was in the form of a quick response saying ok all good !!!! No apologies, no mention that they would investigate.. nothing.. needless to say I was very upset at their cavalier uninterested response.. I told them what I thought and left nothing out .. their spamming emails with link could very well have been a scammer.. only after making a big noise did the company sit up straight and pay attention to my comments.. these companies need serious training 😂
Key Takeaways

I ordered and paid from Ishka online. Nothing has been seen.I have sent emails. Phoned few nos no answer. Money been taken but nothing no reponse . What to do cause they are still legally selling from Clayton. Feel so disappointed in them. Can I get refund.? 1 Dec ordered and paid by credit card. THIS IS SCAM LEGAL ONE

I ordered and paid from Ishka online. Nothing has been seen.I have sent emails. Phoned few nos no answer. Money been taken but nothing no reponse . What to do cause they are still legally selling from Clayton. Feel so disappointed in them. Can I get refund.? 1 Dec ordered and paid by credit card. THIS IS SCAM LEGAL ONE
Tell your bank that you never received your purchase and you should get a reversal after they investigate it. I have done this before!

Reactions: Ezzy
I had a phone call from a young fellow he said he was from a group of charities(he called it something but can't remember what he called it exactly what the name was ) I told him no thanks and please take my phone number off their list.
Within 10 minutes I had another phone call from another fellow and he said for the do not call list I had to pay a small amount from my debit card. Apparently he new I didn't have a credit card. I hung up on him funnily enough he didn't ring back.
Please be warned.😔

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and IJH
I got a message from Harvey Norman saying I had won a TV don't know why because I never shop there, and my husband got an email from my daughter saying she had changed her phone number fortunately he asked me both were scams

Reactions: Chicky and Ezzy
I’m always ordering stuff to do with my hobby from the U.S.A, and get a tracking number. I have received scam emails, they look like Australia Post but the picture is of some foreign post truck. Haha.
I just report it as a phishing email and it stops.

Reactions: Chicky and Ezzy