SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
Protect yourself this holiday season! Learn to spot the warning signs of common Christmas scams

'Tis the season of giving... but it's also the season of scammers trying to take advantage of unsuspecting people!

In the lead-up to Christmas, Australians need to be more vigilant than ever before to protect themselves from holiday scams. Every year, cybercriminals ramp up their efforts to con people out of their hard-earned cash and generous nature.

But don't worry; the folks over at Westpac Bank have put together a list of common scams that pop up this time of year, as well as some tips on how you can avoid them.

Read on for more information!

Screen Shot 2022-12-05 at 11.31.37 AM.png
Fraudsters prey on the holiday season's increase in online purchases and package delivery to trick people out of their money. Credit: Pexels/Karolina Grabowska.

Fake online store websites

One popular scam that occurs around Christmas time is fake websites offering competitive deals on presents and gifts. These scammers create look-alike websites for legitimate businesses in order to trick shoppers into buying from them. Once they have your money, you'll never see those items – or your money – again!

Fake parcel delivery

Another way scammers take advantage of Australians during the holidays is by impersonating reputable delivery services like Australia Post or FedEx and sending dodgy text messages telling consumers a parcel is on its way.

These texts always come with prompts to click a link in order to track delivery; however, clicking these links often downloads software onto your device that allows the scammer to steal money or personal information without you even knowing it happened!

The best way to avoid this scam is simply not to click any links sent via SMS or email related to package tracking; instead, visit the business website directly if you want updates about an order you've made.

Fake charity organisation websites

Cybercriminals also love taking advantage of our generosity during the holidays by setting up fake donation websites or posing as door-knocking appeals for charity donations.

So before giving any money away this holiday season (no matter how tempting), make sure you're donating only to legitimate organisations by checking if they are registered on the national charity register.

That way, you can be confident your donation will actually go towards helping those in need instead of being pocketed by a heartless fraudster!

Dodgy investment scams

Finally, one of the most common scams that occurs all year round, but is especially prevalent during the holidays, is the scam involving high-yield investment offers (‘get rich quick’).

These scams continue to dominate reported cases and trick Australians by offering quick, high cash for minimal effort. Scammers are even using photos and ‘dodgy’ quotes from well-known TV stars, such as David Kochie from Sunrise, to get unsuspecting people to invest their money.

The best way to avoid these kinds of scams is to always speak with a professional before investing and to be wary of any offers that seem a little too good to be true.
Tip
If you think you have been a victim of a scam, please click on this link to find out where to get the help you need.
We hope these tips help you spot a scam from a mile away and protect yourself and your hard-earned cash this holiday season. From all of us here at the SDC, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

• Angry
Reactions: cberk and Ricci
If these bloody scammers spent as much time and effort doing good instead of trying to rip everyone off the world would be in a much better place than it is now. It makes my blood boil to see how they are quite prepared to absolutely ruin someone's life for a quick return. They are heartless scum, I bet their parents are proud of them.:mad::(

If these bloody scammers spent as much time and effort doing good instead of trying to rip everyone off the world would be in a much better place than it is now. It makes my blood boil to see how they are quite prepared to absolutely ruin someone's life for a quick return. They are heartless scum, I bet their parents are proud of them.:mad::(
Ricci, their parents most probably taught them!... I don't get upset with them anymore... I've had many messages from scammers, especially the ones that say they tried to deliver my parcels. I ignore them as most of them are from company's I've never heard of, also I go to my order and track my parcel, this tells us how far away my parcel is...When a parcel couldn't be delivered, the delivery person leaves card in my mail box to pick it up from APO... If it doesn't feel right mark it as spam... Oh the other one is "You've won $500!!! Contact this number" usually Bunnings, Woollies and Coles.... I automatically click on Spam!!! The first time I got one of these from Bunnings, I contacted Bunnings Head Office they said to mark it a SPAM....

some scumer sitting at the Post dividing places and redirect the parcels to him self, like happening to me

Attachments

• Post 3.jpg
    Post 3.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Protect yourself this holiday season! Learn to spot the warning signs of common Christmas scams

'Tis the season of giving... but it's also the season of scammers trying to take advantage of unsuspecting people!

In the lead-up to Christmas, Australians need to be more vigilant than ever before to protect themselves from holiday scams. Every year, cybercriminals ramp up their efforts to con people out of their hard-earned cash and generous nature.

But don't worry; the folks over at Westpac Bank have put together a list of common scams that pop up this time of year, as well as some tips on how you can avoid them.

Read on for more information!

View attachment 9946
Fraudsters prey on the holiday season's increase in online purchases and package delivery to trick people out of their money. Credit: Pexels/Karolina Grabowska.

Fake online store websites

One popular scam that occurs around Christmas time is fake websites offering competitive deals on presents and gifts. These scammers create look-alike websites for legitimate businesses in order to trick shoppers into buying from them. Once they have your money, you'll never see those items – or your money – again!

Fake parcel delivery

Another way scammers take advantage of Australians during the holidays is by impersonating reputable delivery services like Australia Post or FedEx and sending dodgy text messages telling consumers a parcel is on its way.

These texts always come with prompts to click a link in order to track delivery; however, clicking these links often downloads software onto your device that allows the scammer to steal money or personal information without you even knowing it happened!

The best way to avoid this scam is simply not to click any links sent via SMS or email related to package tracking; instead, visit the business website directly if you want updates about an order you've made.

Fake charity organisation websites

Cybercriminals also love taking advantage of our generosity during the holidays by setting up fake donation websites or posing as door-knocking appeals for charity donations.

So before giving any money away this holiday season (no matter how tempting), make sure you're donating only to legitimate organisations by checking if they are registered on the national charity register.

That way, you can be confident your donation will actually go towards helping those in need instead of being pocketed by a heartless fraudster!

Dodgy investment scams

Finally, one of the most common scams that occurs all year round, but is especially prevalent during the holidays, is the scam involving high-yield investment offers (‘get rich quick’).

These scams continue to dominate reported cases and trick Australians by offering quick, high cash for minimal effort. Scammers are even using photos and ‘dodgy’ quotes from well-known TV stars, such as David Kochie from Sunrise, to get unsuspecting people to invest their money.

The best way to avoid these kinds of scams is to always speak with a professional before investing and to be wary of any offers that seem a little too good to be true.
Tip
If you think you have been a victim of a scam, please click on this link to find out where to get the help you need.
We hope these tips help you spot a scam from a mile away and protect yourself and your hard-earned cash this holiday season. From all of us here at the SDC, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

If the scammer has an address in their 'contact us' section, i look up the address on Google. One of them turned up a search result that was a local newspaper article saying that xxx's store address was being used by scammers again. I have seen that same address used by several different "companies" "selling" different things.
One other thing i do is copy the image of the product they are "selling" and do a Google image search. Laser rust removal devices are wonderful and expensive $10,000+ but many, many sellers will sell me one for less than $100. Yeah - naah. Same for laser welders.

Received this yesterday on my mobile. I have immediately Blocked the number and deleted.
1: generic mumm/dad - mumm? Don't they know if you are "mum or dad"?
2: a genuine son or daughter wouldn't ask you to text? they would just text their message as normal.
3: a genuine son or daughter would just phone you so you recognise their voice

Simple but don't fall for it!!

Attachments

• IMG_E7DB15C4C29A-1.jpeg
    IMG_E7DB15C4C29A-1.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
I have been getting an email saying that there is a parcel with my name on it but they can’t read the address. They have my phone number in the email and stated that they have tried to ring me and emailed me a number of times ,about where to send this parcel. It states to click on this tracking site and put in your address. I have not done this, I have just sent a return reply email giving my address. I believe this to be a scam, as I haven’t received any parcel yet. Scammers 😡😡😡

• Angry
I have been getting an email saying that there is a parcel with my name on it but they can’t read the address. They have my phone number in the email and stated that they have tried to ring me and emailed me a number of times ,about where to send this parcel. It states to click on this tracking site and put in your address. I have not done this, I have just sent a return reply email giving my address. I believe this to be a scam, as I haven’t received any parcel yet. Scammers 😡😡😡
For sure this is a scam, don't reply or click on the email, delete it as soon as it arrives. The email you sent will just disappear into the ether or bounce back as their email probably won't be monitored. :mad: