Discover how new fuel-efficiency standards will help Australian drivers save hundreds of dollars!

Australia is finally catching up with the rest of the developed nations by introducing new fuel efficiency standards.

This recent move by the federal government could save Australians up to $1,000 a year in fuel costs, a significant relief for many households.

The unveiling of the preferred model by Minister for Climate Change and Energy, Chris Bowen, signals a new era for the Australian automotive industry.

The new standards, which will apply to new passenger and light commercial vehicles, are expected to encourage car makers to sell more electric and fuel-efficient vehicles.

This move is seen to provide more choices to potential car buyers.

SDC 1.png
The government is set to release new fuel-efficiency standards. Image source: Freepik.

If Australia matches the United States in average vehicle efficiency by 2028, drivers should save a lot per vehicle yearly, according to Bowen.

'Because of a lack of action on an Efficiency Standard, Australian families are paying around $1,000 a year more than they need to be for their annual fuel bill—the Albanese Government is delivering long-term cost-of-living relief to fix that for new vehicles and put money back in people's pockets,' Bowen said in a statement.

This move is not only beneficial for consumers' wallets but also for the environment, as it promotes the use of vehicles that emit less carbon dioxide.

The introduction of these standards is expected to save Australian motorists $100 billion in fuel costs by 2050.

'This is about ensuring Australian families and businesses can choose the latest and most efficient cars and utes, whether they're petrol and diesel engines, or hybrid, or electric,' Bowen added.

The move has been praised by climate groups and industry bodies, including the Electric Vehicle Council (EVC).

EVC Chief Executive Behyad Jafari said, 'This announcement from the Federal Government, when legislated, will give Australians a greater choice for the cars they want and put money back in their pockets through lower fuel bills.'

'Within a few short years, it will mean the average family will not have to spend as much on imported petrol, which we know is hugely volatile on price.'

The new policy is expected to end Australia's position at the back of the queue when it comes to the best and cheapest electric vehicles.

Car makers have been incentivised to offer their most efficient vehicles elsewhere first, but this should change with the introduction of the new standards.

'That should end now with this policy, and Australian car buyers should notice the change very quickly,' Jafari added.

The government will consult on the preferred model for a month and introduce the legislation as soon as possible.

The new cost-saving rules are expected to come into effect by January 1, 2025.
Key Takeaways
  • Australians could potentially save up to $1,000 annually on fuel costs with the new fuel efficiency standards set by the government.
  • The new standards encourage car manufacturers to offer more electric and fuel-efficient vehicles in the Australian market.
  • If the country achieves the same vehicle efficiency as the United States by 2028, significant savings on fuel are expected for drivers.
  • Climate groups and the Electric Vehicle Council have lauded the Federal Government's move, with expectations that it will offer Australians greater vehicle choice and cost savings on fuel.
What do you think about these new fuel efficiency standards? Do you believe they will make a significant difference in your annual fuel costs? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Why are we catching up to the rest of the world? We should be leading the way and moving as far away from EV’s as possible! Also the days of the Australian dream of a house on a quarter acre is fading. Dense urban development is expanding and more people are living in apartments. These complexes are not able to support recharging stations so it seems counterproductive for the govt to be pushing EVs.

Reactions: Kelpie
No its not. The cost of raw materials for EV's is dropping like a stone. We are already seeing the first Sodium Ion battery powered EV's, where the major raw material is salt!

The ICE era is rapidly coming to an end, despite the best efforts of the oil companies and car companies like Toyota. Incidentally, Toyota are very likely to go out of business within the next couple of years since they have the highest level of debt in the world, have delayed their move to EV's and are now seeing their sales fall off a cliff. Sounds like an appropriate outcome for a company that has spent millions trying to undermine EV's through spreading false information.
So the TOYOTA Prius Hybrid that was the first in Australia was not made by Toyota.

Why are we catching up to the rest of the world? We should be leading the way and moving as far away from EV’s as possible! Also the days of the Australian dream of a house on a quarter acre is fading. Dense urban development is expanding and more people are living in apartments. These complexes are not able to support recharging stations so it seems counterproductive for the govt to be pushing EVs.
I thought the same. My brother lives in an apartment building with an underground basement. He told me there's 3 of them that put recharging stations in their allocated parking spots. Apparently very expensive to do though. Probably due to body corporate.

Electric cars just add to the burden on the coal fired power supply creating further polution. Hydrogen engines are on the way and will kill the electric car market. The cost of replacing batteries in a Tesla is around $12.000. Other cars is from $5.000 to $20.000. More thn the cost of a small car. I can foresee thousands of electric cars dumped on highways in the future due to dead batteries because no one will have the money to replace them. At least with fuel it's pay as you drive. If you run out of fuel you can at least top it up and move on.
And what about if you run out of battery while driving on a highway or a road. Who is going to pull up and charge the battery in your beloved EV.??
On the other hand if you run out of fuel in your normal car you can either pick up a ride with someone else to a service station and go back to your car or pour some fuel in from a jerry can and bingo you are on the move again.
Who has a spare battery to get you going with an EV let alone the crane to lift it into it.?
Everybody is rushing into something which hasn't even been sorted out properly from the beginning.

Reactions: Lizzie1149
And what about if you run out of battery while driving on a highway or a road. Who is going to pull up and charge the battery in your beloved EV.??
On the other hand if you run out of fuel in your normal car you can either pick up a ride with someone else to a service station and go back to your car or pour some fuel in from a jerry can and bingo you are on the move again.
Who has a spare battery to get you going with an EV let alone the crane to lift it into it.?
Everybody is rushing into something which hasn't even been sorted out properly from the beginning.
There's no issue if people don't drive them very often. However, I know people who own one and they say it's a real pain to have to charge them all the time. They live in town and drive it everywhere. I guess everyone makes their own decision. Car dealers won't trade them in as it's too hard to work out the battery life left as the actual body of the car doesn't come into it. Private dealers buy and sell 2nd hand Teslas.

Yes, We have just bought a new car , a few months ago, and I bought one with a small 1.5 litre engine. I wasn't buying one with a larger engine that would use a lot more fuel than the Suzuki Swift We had. It was actually the only car We could find at the time and at the top of Our price range too. An Hyundai Venue Elite - top of the Range and white in colour. I have averaged 5.6 litres per 100 klms and one time acheived 5.2L/100klm on highway driving in Economy range. So We are very happy with this car. Now We couldn't afford any Hybrid car [not looking at any CHINESE cars] so, I wasn't really looking at any of them. But what the government is supposed to be doing, I have no idea and it seems no one else has either... Fingers crossed My car will be in any list !!?? I would have liked a plug in HYBRID car but couldn't afford one.. Electric vehicles in the country are very rare.. We do have a charger in Our small town but it isn't being used much, if at all... And if You ask anyone in the country towns whether they would ever purchase an electric car , they all reply NO.!! I do believe in Solar Panels and have had them for a few years. Bugbuyer 68autobug

This is so much nonsense. EVs are much more polluting than other stuff. I wouldn't have one. Like all the other climate change/emergency garbage this too is jugged science and to make the big boys rich and us poor
Incorrect. You still believe in the conspiracy theory against EV's that they are more polluting than the horrible combustion engine. Read and learn.

Reactions: Greg350
Incorrect. You still believe in the conspiracy theory against EV's that they are more polluting than the horrible combustion engine. Read and learn.
So dreadful mining practices to get the rare earth mineral to make these batteries is worse than oil production. I think not. This is all about making money. Keep the rich, rich and the poor with nothing. I really hope all these shopping centres with EV charging stations are not allowing them to be fuelled by regular electricity and only by the sun (which at the moment here is a pretty rare sight). I don't know how old you are but I can tell you this much., I'm old enough to remember back yard gardens, walking to school and cars that guys could fix themselves. Now we have so much technology no one knows what is really going on and it all costs so much money. Everything has gone up exponentially and at the cost if EVs we will be back to walking again. So much of what is out there as information has been re jigged over time to convince people this crap is good. I don't believe any of it. Alberta in Canada has just found out how unreliable EVs and wind turbines are in one of the coldest winters for years.

• Love

So dreadful mining practices to get the rare earth mineral to make these batteries is worse than oil production. I think not. This is all about making money. Keep the rich, rich and the poor with nothing. I really hope all these shopping centres with EV charging stations are not allowing them to be fuelled by regular electricity and only by the sun (which at the moment here is a pretty rare sight). I don't know how old you are but I can tell you this much., I'm old enough to remember back yard gardens, walking to school and cars that guys could fix themselves. Now we have so much technology no one knows what is really going on and it all costs so much money. Everything has gone up exponentially and at the cost if EVs we will be back to walking again. So much of what is out there as information has been re jigged over time to convince people this crap is good. I don't believe any of it. Alberta in Canada has just found out how unreliable EVs and wind turbines are in one of the coldest winters for years.
You are all over the place and have no idea what you're talking about. First two sentences, read what you wrote. You are agreeing that oil production is worse than battery production.

You don't need "sun" for solar, you need light. Cloudy days will still make electricity, just not as good.

What does backyard gardens (they are still there), walking to school (I see kids doing that daily) have to do with all this?

It's still possible for people to fix cars, just like 60 years ago, some could do it, some couldn't.

Everything has gone up exponentially, you don't say, that's party inflation and partly the greater equipment levels found in today's cars. There are still cars for $20,000 if you want, that's far cheaper than the average cost back in 1970 compared to income.

Canada? We are in Australia, what's the relevance of Canada to Australia. Europe has cold winters too, Scandinavian countries are leading the pack in EV sales, over 50 % of new car sales are EV's now, seems they are managing fine with them.

You're worried about mining but only think about the mining to manufacture the car. Ever thought about the mining to manufacture an ICE car, the vast array of materials required, the enormous ongoing costs for regulars oil changes, filter changes in the cars life, look more closely and you'll see the costs add up, but in dollar terms and environment terms.

Reactions: Docit
jrosman, what conspiracy theory. Science has already proved that the manufacturing of EV'S is extremely polluting. Also, how do you get rid of the batteries when they can no longer be charged. They can not be recycled. The amount of petroleum products used from go to make them is astonishing. You really need to look into it further.

You are all over the place and have no idea what you're talking about. First two sentences, read what you wrote. You are agreeing that oil production is worse than battery production.

You don't need "sun" for solar, you need light. Cloudy days will still make electricity, just not as good.

What does backyard gardens (they are still there), walking to school (I see kids doing that daily) have to do with all this?

It's still possible for people to fix cars, just like 60 years ago, some could do it, some couldn't.

Everything has gone up exponentially, you don't say, that's party inflation and partly the greater equipment levels found in today's cars. There are still cars for $20,000 if you want, that's far cheaper than the average cost back in 1970 compared to income.

Canada? We are in Australia, what's the relevance of Canada to Australia. Europe has cold winters too, Scandinavian countries are leading the pack in EV sales, over 50 % of new car sales are EV's now, seems they are managing fine with them.

You're worried about mining but only think about the mining to manufacture the car. Ever thought about the mining to manufacture an ICE car, the vast array of materials required, the enormous ongoing costs for regulars oil changes, filter changes in the cars life, look more closely and you'll see the costs add up, but in dollar terms and environment terms.
Over it all. Too old to argue with people who are so invested in crap they can't see what is really happening. I'll stay as a conspiracy theorist and maybe I will live another 10 years or so and see how things are then. There is an old saying, history repeats itself because the younger generation thinks the oldies are fools. Well we have more recycling and re using than anything now. We survived without all the tech and junk foods. Now they are just part of life and no one questions. Once we are dead and gone the real truth will come out but it will be far too late. I feel so sorry for the coming generations. This climate shit has gone from change, to emergency to crisis over the last 15 years. Nothing has changed other than the name. All about money for the big boys and noting to do with saving the planet. If you cannot see that then that is sad. Good luck with your EVs, wind turbines and solar stuff. The oil producers have found another way to rip the general population off. If anyone was real about all this they would be pushing the real Tesla's ideas. But no they just want to make money and oil isn't cutting it anymore so they turn to crap climate change for they jollies.
jrosman, what conspiracy theory. Science has already proved that the manufacturing of EV'S is extremely polluting. Also, how do you get rid of the batteries when they can no longer be charged. They can not be recycled. The amount of petroleum products used from go to make them is astonishing. You really need to look into it further.
Not to mention the lifespan of around 6 years and then you have to buy a new one and they are almost the cost of a new car. I am sure you, like me, get tired of arguing with people who have been brainwashed into believing it's all good and non polluting. None of the shit they are pushing onto us are properly recyclable and work long term. Most of the stuff has a limited lifespan and cost a fortune to remove and replace. Also solar farms are now being looked at as wild fire starters

If you do that you are only reading what others are trying to push down your neck while someone are becoming billionaires. All the while our stupid Government is subsidising this absolute crap (WITH OUR MONEY MIND YOU) because of that silly old CHRIS BOWEN who failed in every single portfolio he has ever held. Research, and proper research, is better than what you read written by someone who has a real interest in this matter and an agenda to push, and compromised totally biased media.
Can you please tell me as to how both AL GORE and JOHN KERRIE have become billionaires in a very short period of time and only since they startet pushing and promoting their narratives.?
The World was going to end in the 70s as we were all going to freeze to death, and then agian at the end of 2000 but we are still all here. And then we were all going to die (According to that littel brainwashed Greta) in 3 to 5 years because we were all going to be boiled to death. Funny isn't it.?
Wake up people before it will be too late.

Go tell them mate but, like my old man used to say, "IF YOU TRY TO WASH THE DONKEY'S HEAD YOU WILL SOON REALISE THAT YOU HAVE WASTED THE SOAP, THE WATER, AND YOUR VERY VALUABLE TIME."

Two contradictions there:
1)"You don't need "sun" for solar, you need light. Cloudy days will still make electricity, just not as good."
Incorrect. once upon a time I was heavily involved in supplying solar panels to some of my communications customers and it nearly sent me broke because of the unreliabilty of them. And the amount of electricty they will supply if they don't get the real sun is negligible if not negative. And even when thet heat is too high they can become unreliable as well.
2) "Canada? We are in Australia, what's the relevance of Canada to Australia. Europe has cold winters too, Scandinavian countries are leading the pack in EV sales, over 50 % of new car sales are EV's now, seems they are managing fine with them."
How big is Scandinavua and how may people are actully living there.? You failed to address that part perhaps intentionally too. How far is the distances they have to travel when twons are so far apart and some of thekm are so small as well.
"In Sweden, solar PV installations have grown exponentially. As of 2023, the country had a total installed solar PV capacity of 4.1 GW." That's big is it with only 4.1 GW.
In Sweden we use domestic renewable energy sources such as hydro, wind, solar and biofuels. We also import nuclear fuels, biofuels and fossil fuels such as oil and natural gas. The energy system in Sweden can be divided into supply and consumption.
And there lies your answer. But at the same time we are consnatly told that renewable is cheaper WHILE OUR PRICES OF ELECTRICITY ARE CONSTANTLY GOING UP. IS THAT A REAL FACT TOO.?
Now, I am asking you something because I explained to the forum what my past experiences were in regard to solar panels. Can you please tell us all if you have a private interest in this baseless crap and what you intend doing with all your solar panels at the end of lifetime.??

Over it all. Too old to argue with people who are so invested in crap they can't see what is really happening. I'll stay as a conspiracy theorist and maybe I will live another 10 years or so and see how things are then. There is an old saying, history repeats itself because the younger generation thinks the oldies are fools. Well we have more recycling and re using than anything now. We survived without all the tech and junk foods. Now they are just part of life and no one questions. Once we are dead and gone the real truth will come out but it will be far too late. I feel so sorry for the coming generations. This climate shit has gone from change, to emergency to crisis over the last 15 years. Nothing has changed other than the name. All about money for the big boys and noting to do with saving the planet. If you cannot see that then that is sad. Good luck with your EVs, wind turbines and solar stuff. The oil producers have found another way to rip the general population off. If anyone was real about all this they would be pushing the real Tesla's ideas. But no they just want to make money and oil isn't cutting it anymore so they turn to crap climate change for they jollies.

Not to mention the lifespan of around 6 years and then you have to buy a new one and they are almost the cost of a new car. I am sure you, like me, get tired of arguing with people who have been brainwashed into believing it's all good and non polluting. None of the shit they are pushing onto us are properly recyclable and work long term. Most of the stuff has a limited lifespan and cost a fortune to remove and replace. Also solar farms are now being looked at as wild fire starters
Current EVs come with a battery guarantee of at least 8 years (there are even some with a 15-year or 1.6 million km now). The latest generation of EVs will outlast any ICE vehicle. You are correct on one thing, the war against EVs is "all about the money". There is an enormous amount of disinformation out there with the oil companies and legacy auto companies spending large sums of money to try to undermine the transition to EVs and protect their business.

Regarding climate change, it's difficult to see how anyone living in Australia with their eyes open couldn't see just how massively the climate is changing. Cyclones, bushfires, floods and droughts are all getting worse.

Reactions: Greg350
Agreed 100% but, as the saying goes, You can led a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

They are also failing to address the problem they will encunter when the wind generators have reached end of life span and the solar panles which are full of highly toxic contents.
One windmill generator exploded the other day and it caused some real disaster around with the oil which is highly toxic and now they have some serious problems in trying to clean it all up and store it somewhere.

6 years lifespan, haha, now you are proving you have no idea what you're talking about. Most car manufacturers guarantee EV batteries for 8 years or 160,000. That does not mean they are useless at 8 years, just like your car that may have a 4 years guarantee, does it just stop after 4 years.

They are also failing to address the problem they will encunter when the wind generators have reached end of life span and the solar panles which are full of highly toxic contents.
One windmill generator exploded the other day and it caused some real disaster around with the oil which is highly toxic and now they have some serious problems in trying to clean it all up and store it somewhere.
Ever seen what happens to a tanker filled with oil and it ruptures?