Discover ALDI’s new service that will revolutionise your shopping experience

In the never-ending quest to meet the changing needs of savvy Aussie consumers, supermarket chains have been head-to-head, striving to offer the best shopping experiences with the most benefits (including the all-important discounts, of course!).

In the latest chapter of this retail saga, German-owned supermarket ALDI has stepped up to the plate. Addressing the one area where the grocery giant has struggled to keep up with its major rivals: The convenience of online shopping.

Though it seemed ALDI was set on resisting the allure of e-commerce in a bid to maintain low grocery costs, the chain has recently acknowledged that sticking to this stance might no longer be sustainable.

They've realised that if they continue to resist, they risk losing loyal customers to their competitors who offer online buying.

photo 1.jpg
ALDI is set to explore the online grocery shopping space in the future. Image source: ALDI (left), stefamerpik on Freepik (right).

Adrian Christie, ALDI’s Corporate Affairs Representative, expressed this significant strategic shift at a recent parliamentary inquiry. In response to questions about the supermarket competition, he stated confidently: 'Quite right, you will see us entering that space in the future.'

While it's no secret that Coles and Woolworths–who together own approximately two-thirds of the supermarket retail market in Australia–have been investing heavily in their online and delivery offerings. ALDI has maintained its 'in-store only' approach and currently holds around 10 per cent of the market.

The challenge for ALDI now lies in finding the perfect balance of trying to offer the convenience of online shopping while still maintaining prices that are 15-20 per cent lower than their competition––a core offer for ALDI in Australia.

Moreover, even with a smaller market share, ALDI has reigned supreme in Canstar Blue’s satisfied shopper survey for six years running.

Of the many standout scores in the most recent survey, ALDI ranked a whopping five out of five stars in all categories, except for 'customer service' and 'variety of products'.

It clinched the top spot for 'value for money' and 'deals/specials available', which is a significant win, especially considering the ever-increasing financial pressures most Australians are faced with.

At the time, ALDI Australia’s Group Director, Simon Padovani-Ginies, spoke delightedly about ALDI’s ongoing commitment to Australian shoppers, rooted in the irresistible pull of high-quality products at the lowest prices.

As per Padovani-Ginies, ‘ALDI has won a spot in the hearts and back pockets of Aussie shoppers through one simple and consistent commitment–high-quality products at the lowest prices.’

‘Being credited as the only five-star-rated supermarket shows our day-in, day-out commitment to deliver market-leading prices on high-quality goods is resonating with our shoppers.'

You can read more about their ALDI’s most recent win in this article we wrote.

For those who haven’t tried online grocery shopping, you might be wondering what the benefits would be…

Well, the move to online retail holds a number of benefits for the everyday shopper–benefits that extend well beyond traipsing around aisles hunting for items!

One of the most significant benefits of online shopping is that it lets you shop at your convenience. Those with hectic schedules, barely finding a moment to breathe in between juggling familial duties and other commitments, can simply whip out their electronic devices to order their pantry staples, fresh produce, and even their favourite snacks. There is no need to worry about store timings or racing to get the groceries done before weekend plans kick in.

Plus, going digital could help you become savvier with your money. With the ability to compare products and prices from the comfort of your own home and online-exclusive offers often up for grabs, you're more likely to make strategic choices and score the best deals.

So by acknowledging the need for an online grocer, ALDI is not just catering to our evolving shopping habits and demands for speed and flexibility–it's looking to make your life that bit easier and your weekly shopping experience a whole lot more enjoyable.
Key Takeaways
  • ALDI has acknowledged it needs to start offering online shopping or risk losing customers to major rivals Coles and Woolworths.
  • Adrian Christie, ALDI Corporate Affairs Representative, stated that the supermarket chain will be entering the online space in the future.
  • ALDI aims to maintain its prices between 15 and 20 per cent below those of its competitors as it expands online.
  • Despite its smaller market share, ALDI has led Canstar Blue's satisfied shopper survey for six straight years, specifically scoring high in the 'value for money' and 'deals/specials available' categories.
Have you tried online grocery shopping before? Do you look forward to ALDI’s online grocery shopping feature? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
The discouraging thing about online shopping for me is you can't see/feel/smell what you are buying from the fruit and veg section. Also I like to select my meat products, in particular, the pork ribs and pork belly, for the meat/fat ratio

Personally l never use online anything. In my opinion doing shopping is a social outing that is planned in advance and keeps me active and keeps my brain sharp by mentally adding up the prices as l add to the cart. I also pay in cash so l keep track of change the teller gives me. I find too many people have no idea how much technology is interfering in their lives. A lot of young people can not work out how much change to give without using a calculator or rely on the till to tell them. As you can tell I’m an older person. Lol.
So, so many young people out there can not do basic mathematics on their devices, let alone in their heads. If a price total comes to a few cents above a dollar value, don't ever offer them extra small change, that just totally freaks them out. The facial expressions can be so funny.

SDC have been a bit quick with this article.

Aldi are NOT going to do online shopping.

If they did it was only for those Special Buys they do.
They also say it would add to prices going up because of the cost of employing more staff to pick, pack and deliver the goods.

But mainly they should have read the other reports first which state.....
".....an Aldi spokesperson confirmed they would not be entering the online shopping market anytime soon."

I did online shopping during lockdown and wasn’t a fan. By the time I’ve gone through and selected what I want I could have driven to the shop, picked it up and been home again. Then it tells me certain things are out of stock. Then it DOESN’T tell me what’s out of stock and they replace with something I don’t want. Or they don’t replace it at all! And then I forget to add something and it’s too late to change my order, so I end having to go into the shop anyway when I collect my order. Plus I want to be able to choose my own meat and fruit/vegetables so I don’t end up with scabby-looking veg and fatty meats. I once ordered 900g of sweet potatoes and I got a single, enormous one! The whole experience broke me. 🤣🤣

Reactions: Trudi and Ricci
I have been doing online shopping for a long time as I cannot physically get to the shops except by taxi and it is impossible to get one back. I shop with home help one day a week and we go to Aldi. I would like Aldi online but fear the price increase my stop my delight at shopping there.

Reactions: Ricci
I prefer to shop in person, I like to select my own produce, check use by dates on dairy items etc. But I am about to sign up for online shopping as I am having surgery on both feet in two weeks and will be out of action for a while. I am hoping they have nice delivery people who will bring the bags in and put them on my kitchen bench for me (it's about 10 steps from my front door).

Reactions: Ricci and Liz
I prefer to shop in person, I like to select my own produce, check use by dates on dairy items etc. But I am about to sign up for online shopping as I am having surgery on both feet in two weeks and will be out of action for a while. I am hoping they have nice delivery people who will bring the bags in and put them on my kitchen bench for me (it's about 10 steps from my front door).
Just when you put your order in, give the company clear instructions as to where and how you want your groceries delivered. My delivery men come up from the driveway and through a gate to my front door. So if you are very clear about what you want, they usually comply. And leave your phone number so they can ring if they get lost, which can happen.

Reactions: Ricci and ElleJay
In the never-ending quest to meet the changing needs of savvy Aussie consumers, supermarket chains have been head-to-head, striving to offer the best shopping experiences with the most benefits (including the all-important discounts, of course!).

In the latest chapter of this retail saga, German-owned supermarket ALDI has stepped up to the plate. Addressing the one area where the grocery giant has struggled to keep up with its major rivals: The convenience of online shopping.

Though it seemed ALDI was set on resisting the allure of e-commerce in a bid to maintain low grocery costs, the chain has recently acknowledged that sticking to this stance might no longer be sustainable.

They've realised that if they continue to resist, they risk losing loyal customers to their competitors who offer online buying.

View attachment 28538
ALDI is set to explore the online grocery shopping space in the future. Image source: ALDI (left), stefamerpik on Freepik (right).

Adrian Christie, ALDI’s Corporate Affairs Representative, expressed this significant strategic shift at a recent parliamentary inquiry. In response to questions about the supermarket competition, he stated confidently: 'Quite right, you will see us entering that space in the future.'

While it's no secret that Coles and Woolworths–who together own approximately two-thirds of the supermarket retail market in Australia–have been investing heavily in their online and delivery offerings. ALDI has maintained its 'in-store only' approach and currently holds around 10 per cent of the market.

The challenge for ALDI now lies in finding the perfect balance of trying to offer the convenience of online shopping while still maintaining prices that are 15-20 per cent lower than their competition––a core offer for ALDI in Australia.

Moreover, even with a smaller market share, ALDI has reigned supreme in Canstar Blue’s satisfied shopper survey for six years running.

Of the many standout scores in the most recent survey, ALDI ranked a whopping five out of five stars in all categories, except for 'customer service' and 'variety of products'.

It clinched the top spot for 'value for money' and 'deals/specials available', which is a significant win, especially considering the ever-increasing financial pressures most Australians are faced with.

At the time, ALDI Australia’s Group Director, Simon Padovani-Ginies, spoke delightedly about ALDI’s ongoing commitment to Australian shoppers, rooted in the irresistible pull of high-quality products at the lowest prices.

As per Padovani-Ginies, ‘ALDI has won a spot in the hearts and back pockets of Aussie shoppers through one simple and consistent commitment–high-quality products at the lowest prices.’

‘Being credited as the only five-star-rated supermarket shows our day-in, day-out commitment to deliver market-leading prices on high-quality goods is resonating with our shoppers.'

For those who haven’t tried online grocery shopping, you might be wondering what the benefits would be…

Well, the move to online retail holds a number of benefits for the everyday shopper–benefits that extend well beyond traipsing around aisles hunting for items!

One of the most significant benefits of online shopping is that it lets you shop at your convenience. Those with hectic schedules, barely finding a moment to breathe in between juggling familial duties and other commitments, can simply whip out their electronic devices to order their pantry staples, fresh produce, and even their favourite snacks. There is no need to worry about store timings or racing to get the groceries done before weekend plans kick in.

Plus, going digital could help you become savvier with your money. With the ability to compare products and prices from the comfort of your own home and online-exclusive offers often up for grabs, you're more likely to make strategic choices and score the best deals.

So by acknowledging the need for an online grocer, ALDI is not just catering to our evolving shopping habits and demands for speed and flexibility–it's looking to make your life that bit easier and your weekly shopping experience a whole lot more enjoyable.
Key Takeaways

• ALDI has acknowledged it needs to start offering online shopping or risk losing customers to major rivals Coles and Woolworths.
  • Adrian Christie, ALDI Corporate Affairs Representative, stated that the supermarket chain will be entering the online space in the future.
  • ALDI aims to maintain its prices between 15 and 20 per cent below those of its competitors as it expands online.
  • Despite its smaller market share, ALDI has led Canstar Blue's satisfied shopper survey for six straight years, specifically scoring high in the 'value for money' and 'deals/specials available' categories.
Have you tried online grocery shopping before? Do you look forward to ALDI’s online grocery shopping feature? Let us know in the comments below!
I have been online shopping since Covid at both Coles and Woolworths, but I am very interested in Aldi doing the same, I miss the Aldi shopping I loved. When will it begin. I cannot wait.

Reactions: Libnotes and Ricci
Just when you put your order in, give the company clear instructions as to where and how you want your groceries delivered. My delivery men come up from the driveway and through a gate to my front door. So if you are very clear about what you want, they usually comply. And leave your phone number so they can ring if they get lost, which can happen.
Thank you, I will do that :)

I am predominantly an online shopper but I can see the possible issue for Aldi to enter the home delivery arena. They can and probably will of course charge a delivery fee of some description, the problems are really staffing and infrastructure. They will need a noticeable increase in staff, order packers, website managers, drivers, trucks, vans, packing materials, etc. This of course all comes at a cost which undoubtedly will be passed on to the consumer. Will this setup cost detract from their cheaper prices? Of course, it will. Will it create a need for Aldi to provide a larger range of products? Who knows? If that is a requirement, where do they store the additional goods? The issues go on and on. If they manage to overcome all of these issues and remain at their competitive level with no detriment to their current services I think I might even say, bye bye Woollies.

View attachment 28538

Key Takeaways

I just love ALDI and am really looking forward to their online shopping offer, I would also love it if they did delivery but I have my doubts that side of things would happen. Due to ill health I've found it very difficult to walk around the supermarket for quite some time plus the fact that I live around a 60kms round trip from my nearest supermarket, I have found online shopping and home delivery through Woolworths a huge help and have been shopping online for over a year now. Even click and collect with ALDI would provide significant advantages.

I am predominantly an online shopper but I can see the possible issue for Aldi to enter the home delivery arena. They can and probably will of course charge a delivery fee of some description, the problems are really staffing and infrastructure. They will need a noticeable increase in staff, order packers, website managers, drivers, trucks, vans, packing materials, etc. This of course all comes at a cost which undoubtedly will be passed on to the consumer. Will this setup cost detract from their cheaper prices? Of course, it will. Will it create a need for Aldi to provide a larger range of products? Who knows? If that is a requirement, where do they store the additional goods? The issues go on and on. If they manage to overcome all of these issues and remain at their competitive level with no detriment to their current services I think I might even say, bye bye Woollies.
Me too

Due to ill health and a really bad back I find it impossible to walk round the Supermarkets so all my shopping is done online (with Woolies) and I love it. I would like for Aldi to go online so that I could experience their offerings. As it is they may as well be on another planet for all the chance of me getting there and round the store.

Reactions: Liz
As an elderly senior, I do most of my grocery shopping online. Mostly I shop with Coles as I find their rates for delivery are the best. I find online shopping eliminates impulse purchases, and by picking the right days and times, delivery costs are minimal. I would see Aldi entry into online and home delivery as a bit more competition.

Reactions: Liz and Ricci
Went to a butcher a bit over a week ago to buy lamb loin chops. Price was $16.99 but they didn't look nice. So I opted for diced goat which also didn't look great but I figured that the slow cooker would do it's job. After a brilliant goat meal (11/10) I went back to get the lamb chops. Looked nice but not at $36/kg. Eye fillet this weekend. But in a quandary - steaks or slow cooker. Maybe the solution is to do both
Slow cooker all round, much cheaper and meat comes out gorgeous.

Reactions: Trudi and Ricci

View attachment 28538

Key Takeaways

Lazy

I’m disabled and can’t get to the shops which is very frustrating for me and isolacting as well but I don’t know how I would’ve managed without online shopping. I would love to shop at ALDIs and can’t wait until they start deliverit’s.
I used to shop online at Kmart but recently they have cut huge amounts of goods from delivery to click and collect which is covert difficult for me to find someone to help. I’m not sure why Kmart has done this but it’s really annoying. I’ve discovered Temu and I use Amazon who are both on the ball and have vast selections and don’t carge postage at Temu and I pay for Prime which is a great service.I can’t afford to shop at woolworths, their delivery fees are huge.

View attachment 28538

Key Takeaways

I admit I don’t do online shopping but good on Aldi for offering this option, I’m sure there’ll be people who will be interested and use the online shopping feature. Go Aldi! 😊

View attachment 28538

Key Takeaways

You forget one item : heavy stuff in trolley...I have done a lot of online "fortnightly" shopping in the early 2000 . Back then learned quickly not to buy meat, fresh vegetables online as after the first 2 orders I received whatever took THEIR fancy...Once they gave me a freebie... dog food: I was buying exclusively cat food..huh...and did stop in 2008 when I did not need it imperatively anylonger.. the reason I went online in those days: I had to buy soft drinks and cans of pet foods and negotiating the car park with a trolley was highly inconvenient. Since, being retired and on my own, I buy smaller quantities, more often. However at Aldi I have been a few time musing will I buy this ? too heavy or too cumbersome! no if I have an alternative I go somewhere else though it may be more expensive... online I would have bought it there... wonder how many people do what I do?