Which is Australia's Top Supermarket for 2023? ALDI, Coles, IGA or Woolworths? The result might surprise you!

ALDI has been named Australia's favourite supermarket for the sixth year in a row, according to Canstar's Supermarket Satisfaction Awards.

Screenshot 2023-08-09 at 11.01.00 AM.png
The German-owned discount chain, ALDI, has been named Australia’s favourite supermarket for the sixth year in a row, competing against other supermarket chains such as Coles, Woolworths, and IGA. Image source: Seniors Discount Club.

As the cost of living continues to rise, the German-owned discount chain has impressed Aussies with a combination of value-for-money, deals, specials, freshness and quality, giving ALDI a five-star rating from consumers in almost all categories.

ALDI_1.jpg
ALDI impressed Aussies with their impressive store layout, great deals, and fresh and quality products. Image source: ALDI Unpacked.

'ALDI has won a spot in the hearts and back pockets of Aussie shoppers through one simple and consistent commitment: high-quality products at competitively low prices,' Mr Padovani-Ginies, ALDI Australia Group Director, said.

That commitment resonated with its shoppers. ALDI received a five-star rating from shoppers for 'layout and presentation of store’–so did Woolies. IGA was the only supermarket to receive five stars for customer service, while Coles did not receive a five-star rating in any of the categories.

Canstar's Christine Seib said value for money remains a priority for Aussie families who deserve great value for their groceries.

'In an environment where higher costs of living are putting pressure on households' budgets, ALDI's combination of value, specials, freshness and quality is hard to beat,' Ms Seib said.

Since Canstar’s Supermarket Satisfaction Ratings began in 2011, ALDI has taken top honours 11 times–an extremely impressive feat!

Other Factors Contributing to ALDI's Popularity in Australia

One of the key factors contributing to ALDI's popularity and continued growth in Australia is its famous 'Special Buys', a range of discounted items available in store twice a week. These goods–which cover various categories, including kitchenware, electronics, clothing and even larger items like furniture–change every week and add an exciting 'treasure hunt' feel to every shopping trip. The anticipation of what will be featured next has become a talking point among customers, fostering a unique shopping experience that has become part of ALDI's charm.

ALDI has also maintained a commitment to simplicity. Their stores frequently display fewer products than their competitors, which they believe helps to uncomplicate the shopping experience for consumers. Undoubtedly, this lean and efficient approach is part of why ALDI can keep their prices competitive.

Add to this ALDI’s steadfast commitment to locally sourced Australian products. Over 90% of ALDI’s Fresh Produce section is filled with Aussie-grown fruit and veggies. As a result, Aussie consumers find good value at ALDI and feel good about supporting local farmers and businesses.

These factors, combined with ALDI's range of unique products, have proven to be a winning formula for the supermarket chain on Australian shores.

Untitled-design-5-1024x585.jpg
ALDI’s winning formula has given them top honours at Canstar’s Supermarket Satisfaction Ratings 11 times since 2011. Image source: ALDI Unpacked.

Will you be visiting ALDI soon? Before you do, check online for ALDI's latest catalogue of deals and specials–you might be able to save even more on your favourite groceries.

Let us know what you like most about ALDI in the comments section below, and happy shopping, dear members!

Last edited:
Sponsored
ALDI has been named Australia's favourite supermarket for the sixth year in a row, according to Canstar's Supermarket Satisfaction Awards.

View attachment 27043
The German-owned discount chain, ALDI, has been named Australia’s favourite supermarket for the sixth year in a row, competing against other supermarket chains such as Coles, Woolworths, and IGA. Image source: Seniors Discount Club.

As the cost of living continues to rise, the German-owned discount chain has impressed Aussies with a combination of value-for-money, deals, specials, freshness and quality, giving ALDI a five-star rating from consumers in almost all categories.

View attachment 27044
ALDI impressed Aussies with their impressive store layout, great deals, and fresh and quality products. Image source: ALDI Unpacked.

'ALDI has won a spot in the hearts and back pockets of Aussie shoppers through one simple and consistent commitment: high-quality products at competitively low prices,' Mr Padovani-Ginies, ALDI Australia Group Director, said.

That commitment resonated with its shoppers. ALDI received a five-star rating from shoppers for 'layout and presentation of store’–so did Woolies. IGA was the only supermarket to receive five stars for customer service, while Coles did not receive a five-star rating in any of the categories.

Canstar's Christine Seib said value for money remains a priority for Aussie families who deserve great value for their groceries.

'In an environment where higher costs of living are putting pressure on households' budgets, ALDI's combination of value, specials, freshness and quality is hard to beat,' Ms Seib said.

Since Canstar’s Supermarket Satisfaction Ratings began in 2011, ALDI has taken top honours 11 times–an extremely impressive feat!

One of the key factors contributing to ALDI's popularity and continued growth in Australia is its famous 'Special Buys', a range of discounted items available in store twice a week. These goods–which cover various categories, including kitchenware, electronics, clothing and even larger items like furniture–change every week and add an exciting 'treasure hunt' feel to every shopping trip. The anticipation of what will be featured next has become a talking point among customers, fostering a unique shopping experience that has become part of ALDI's charm.

ALDI has also maintained a commitment to simplicity. Their stores frequently display fewer products than their competitors, which they believe helps to uncomplicate the shopping experience for consumers. Undoubtedly, this lean and efficient approach is part of why ALDI can keep their prices competitive.

Add to this ALDI’s steadfast commitment to locally sourced Australian products. Over 90% of ALDI’s Fresh Produce section is filled with Aussie-grown fruit and veggies. As a result, Aussie consumers find good value at ALDI and feel good about supporting local farmers and businesses.

These factors, combined with ALDI's range of unique products, have proven to be a winning formula for the supermarket chain on Australian shores.

View attachment 27045
ALDI’s winning formula has given them top honours at Canstar’s Supermarket Satisfaction Ratings 11 times since 2011. Image source: ALDI Unpacked.

Will you be visiting ALDI soon? Before you do, check online for ALDI's latest catalogue of deals and specials–you might be able to save even more on your favourite groceries.

Let us know what you like most about ALDI in the comments section below, and happy shopping, dear members!
Used to be cheaper not anymore

View attachment 27043

View attachment 27044

View attachment 27045

I bought a lot of rubbish from Aldi, one of them being an office chair that was I couldn't return to them die to serious health issues. It's in my garage until can get rid of it one way or another.

I also won't forget how much they charged me for using my credit, or indeed even my debit, card.

I bought a lot of rubbish from Aldi, one of them being an office chair that was I couldn't return to them die to serious health issues. It's in my garage until can get rid of it one way or another.

I also won't forget how much they charged me for using my credit, or indeed even my debit, card.
So why did you buy it then? Surely you looked it over before you bought it?

Many of the Special Buys at Aldi are now more expensive than elsewhere, in some cases I've seen, double. Occasionally there will be a true bargain. I think in the beginning everything was a bargain, and we're now brainwashed that this is still true. It's not.
Having said that, the foods are high quality, the frozen section is around 40% lower than Coles and Woollies and better. Sadly, there are no Aldi stores in Tasmania.

Reactions: croz

View attachment 27043

View attachment 27044

View attachment 27045

Always shop at Aldi when possible. Now waiting for their baked beans and spaghetti to go up in price. How do I know? The shelves were empty. When restocked the prices increase. Not that we eat them, just check where the next increase will be.

Reactions: Trudi

Hardly Aldi's fault that you were unable to return the chair, or were not able to have someone else return it for you. Aldi will give you a refund provided you have the receipt.

As for being charged a credit card fee, if you TAP uoir crd you will be charged the fee, regardless of whether you use a debit or credit catrd. If you insert your debit card (also credit card linked to a savings account) and select "Savings" there is NO FEE!

I do about 95% of my grocery shopping at Aldi and I pay by inserting my credit card which is linked to my savings account. The only time I paid the fee was when I did not have that credit card on me and had to use my Coles credit card.

Don’t love all Aldi products but they are definitely cheaper. I don’t buy any groceries from China anywhere! Aldi is my first go to before the others. Coles and Woolworths make huge profits. If they kept their prices lower more people would shop there, win win!

Reactions: Bunyip57 and croz
whoohoooo GO ALDI ♥ Bought 10 little avo's yesterday at Aldi for $3 .... they are still hard, but will get ripe within a week. I love those little avo's 🥑🥑❣️ + 500 gram tub of butter, $4.75 🧈😍
Aldi do not give any Rewards if you shop there like Coles & Woolworths and there prices are Not Cheap any more and they do not have what I buy the Most SO I will stick to Coles & Woolies