Did your grocery bill suddenly go through the roof? Here's why

Have you noticed a sudden ballooning of your weekly grocery bill? You’re not alone – people have been observing much higher prices at checkouts all around Australia.

And it’s not only inflation that’s causing it.

Late last year, major supermarkets Coles and Woolworths locked the prices of thousands of food staples, including cereal, meat, bread, and toiletries. The retailers introduced this scheme to give customers a bit of certainty at a time of hefty cost-of-living increases and product shortages.

A statement released at the time by Woolworths’ Chief Commercial Officer Paul Harker said: ‘Due to the higher cost of living being felt across all households in Australia, we know customers are looking for better value in their shop.’

‘Our Prices Dropped program will help customers get their Woolies’ Worth on those everyday essentials, and easy meal solutions throughout Spring,’ it continued.

grocery1.jpg
Expect that your supermarket bill will become more expensive these coming weeks. Credit: Angele J/Pexels

Meanwhile, Coles locked the prices of over 1,160 products across their supermarket branches and online, including mince, free-range eggs, cheese, bread, sausages, pasta, and many more essential items.

At the time, Woolworths shared that this program will only last until the end of December 2022, leaving many shoppers disappointed. Meanwhile, Coles offered their promotion until January 31, 2023.

However, in early January 2023, Coles announced that they were extending the price freeze program beyond the original date.

A spokesperson for Coles confirmed this at the time and said: ‘With the cost-of-living pressures, customers know they can rely on these locked prices at Coles each time they go shopping to help plan and manage their budgets.’ The supermarket giant gave no indication as to when the program will now end.

Now, it seems that the items on offer for their ‘prices dropped’ programs have changed, leaving many ‘shocked’ at the sudden increase in their grocery bills.

grocery2.jpg
Both Coles and Woolworths said their price freeze program was to help customers adjust to rising prices brought on by inflation. Credit: Marcelo Verfe/Pexels

Woolworths’ Facebook page had been flooded with comments from their customers asking why there was a string of ‘price hikes’ in their stores.

Coles shoppers also expressed their strong opinions on the retailer’s Facebook page, and slammed the ‘huge’ increases – with many calling it ‘mind-boggling’.

A spokesperson for Coles told reporters that the adjustments to the program were ‘based on what customers were buying most’.

‘We’ve extended the dropped and locked program and added more than 300 new products to the program based on what customers were buying most at this time of year and where we could actually make a difference to their weekly budget,’ they said before adding that this move also resulted in some products being taken off the program.

Woolworths has yet to release a statement as of publishing this article.

grocery3.jpg
Shoppers weren’t happy with the new changes. Credit: Karolina Grabowska/Pexels

Social media users also lashed out at the supermarkets for adjusting the product list.

One shared: ‘How come on Sunday I bought a W/W mineral water diet orange and passionfruit for 75 cents and today it was $1.50? That is 100 per cent more in 3 days.’ They added that this was a ‘complete rip-off’, and that they will not buy the items again at Woolworths.

Another person shared a photo of a can of Nestle Coffee and Milk and wrote: ‘Certainly hiking up the prices. $4.20 last shop, $5.00 this shop – 19% increase of 80 cents in one go!’

‘Considering it is just milk and sugar (with 4 per cent coffee), and those farmers aren’t seeing increases in farm gate prices, I hope you’re holding Nestle and other suppliers to account for this cost-of-living pressure?’ Someone else added.

Similar messages of disappointment and frustration littered Coles’ Facebook page as well.

One said that they saw the 4-pack of 500ml Mother energy drinks had a price tag of $7.60 a week ago and noticed that the price has been changed to $12 a pack recently.

‘I know inflation this year is 7.9 per cent, which would make the price $8.45, however, at $12 is an increase of over 53 per cent in one week,’ they added.

(As of writing, the 4-pack 500 ml cans of Mother Black energy drinks are priced at $8.00 in Coles’ online store. The price has also been locked until June 27, 2023.)

grocery4.jpg
The shopper asked Coles to justify the price increase. Credit: Coles

‘Wow, the sudden price hike within the week is mind-boggling. A few items so far I get, but every week has jumped 40 to 50 per cent on EACH item,’ another shared and added that they could not understand the justification behind the increase why it was so ‘sudden’.

One agreed and responded: ‘How can you justify 1.5L Powerade being sold for $6.35? All last year it was $3.90 – there should be a royal commission into supermarkets, that’s an increase of over 60 per cent.’

Coles’ current price freeze is set to be in place until Easter, meanwhile, Woolworths recently reduced the price of more than 300 ‘summer grocery staples’ despite ending its similar program.

‘We know cost-of-living pressures are being felt by Australian families, and throughout 2023 we will continue to work hard to help them save each time they shop with us,’ a spokesperson for Woolworths explained previously.

They also reassured their customers that the retailer remains ‘focused’ on maximising value for their customers. ‘Many of the products from the program currently remain at the same low price,’ they added.

This comes after several reports of ‘sudden’ price hikes of certain products have been seen by social media users online.

One woman visited her local Coles store and was left ‘stumped’ by a sign that promoted an outrageous deal on 650-gram boxes of Kellogg’s Coco pops cereal. You can find out more about that story here.

Meanwhile, a mum set out to do her weekly grocery shop at her local store but realised that the brand of bread she usually buys ballooned in price in a matter of days. More about her discovery can be read here.
Key Takeaways

• Australians are in shock after discovering their usual supermarket bills were significantly more expensive at the checkouts this week.
  • Woolworths and Coles announced their price freezes on hundreds of staples late last year.
  • Wooworths’ program ended on December 31, 2022. Meanwhile, Coles extended their program ahead of its January 31 expiration date.
  • However, shoppers have noticed a ‘string of price hikes’ this week, infuriating customers online and asking the supermarkets to justify their decisions.
We want to hear from you – have you noticed this at the supermarket? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Who buys these drinks and luxuries, I just afford the basic salad items and frozen vegetables to make meals. There is no room for fancy drinks and as far as I know, Weetbix is around the same price, cheaper if you buy Aldies. I cannot get over the price of cat food, how it is skyrocketed. I am lucky my cat will eat most foods but I cannot afford the expensive ones like Purina.:(

Who buys these drinks and luxuries, I just afford the basic salad items and frozen vegetables to make meals. There is no room for fancy drinks and as far as I know, Weetbix is around the same price, cheaper if you buy Aldies. I cannot get over the price of cat food, how it is skyrocketed. I am lucky my cat will eat most foods but I cannot afford the expensive ones like Purina.:(
Why would you buy frozen vegetables when the same vegetables are much cheaper in the fruit and vegetable aisles.

I have noticed it too, as an example, I used to purchase a 4 litre bottle of coconut water in Woolworths for $6.00 recently it went up to $10.00. The size of their soup tins has reduced to 3/4 while the prices have increased, many prices of items have escalated.

Shopping around can save at least a third of what Woolworths and Coles charge. Shopping at Aldi offers a MARKED difference when it comes to value for money grocery shopping, though their product range is nowhere as extensive. Woolworths is owned by America, who set the prices.

I came from a poor family, and I do recall when I was young that a big night out, was to go window shopping, not purchasing anything as we couldn't afford it, just pointing at things that looked nice.

In the future Woolworth's and Coles could potentially do food tours that likewise take people window shopping through their aisle's, so people can marvel and point at all of the many things, that people not on a high income, can no longer afford.

Why would you buy frozen vegetables when the same vegetables are much cheaper in the fruit and vegetable aisles.
For a start, Frozen vegetables are fresher and come with no waste, so-called fresh could be a week or more since harvesting and will have lost a large amount of goodness as well as waste from trimming and not lasting, I know what I will buy

Have you noticed a sudden ballooning of your weekly grocery bill? You’re not alone – people have been observing much higher prices at checkouts all around Australia.

Late last year, major supermarkets Coles and Woolworths locked the prices of thousands of food staples, including cereal, meat, bread, and toiletries. The retailers introduced this scheme to give customers a bit of certainty at a time of hefty cost-of-living increases and product shortages.

A statement released at the time by Woolworths’ Chief Commercial Officer Paul Harker said: ‘Due to the higher cost of living being felt across all households in Australia, we know customers are looking for better value in their shop.’

‘Our Prices Dropped program will help customers get their Woolies’ Worth on those everyday essentials, and easy meal solutions throughout Spring,’ it continued.

View attachment 13431
Expect that your supermarket bill will become more expensive these coming weeks. Credit: Angele J/Pexels

Meanwhile, Coles locked the prices of over 1,160 products across their supermarket branches and online, including mince, free-range eggs, cheese, bread, sausages, pasta, and many more essential items.

At the time, Woolworths shared that this program will only last until the end of December 2022, leaving many shoppers disappointed. Meanwhile, Coles offered their promotion until January 31, 2023.

However, in early January 2023, Coles announced that they were extending the price freeze program beyond the original date.

A spokesperson for Coles confirmed this at the time and said: ‘With the cost-of-living pressures, customers know they can rely on these locked prices at Coles each time they go shopping to help plan and manage their budgets.’ The supermarket giant gave no indication as to when the program will now end.

Now, it seems that the items on offer for their ‘prices dropped’ programs have changed, leaving many ‘shocked’ at the sudden increase in their grocery bills.

View attachment 13432
Both Coles and Woolworths said their price freeze program was to help customers adjust to rising prices brought on by inflation. Credit: Marcelo Verfe/Pexels

Woolworths’ Facebook page had been flooded with comments from their customers asking why there was a string of ‘price hikes’ in their stores.

Coles shoppers also expressed their strong opinions on the retailer’s Facebook page, and slammed the ‘huge’ increases – with many calling it ‘mind-boggling’.

A spokesperson for Coles told reporters that the adjustments to the program were ‘based on what customers were buying most’.

‘We’ve extended the dropped and locked program and added more than 300 new products to the program based on what customers were buying most at this time of year and where we could actually make a difference to their weekly budget,’ they said before adding that this move also resulted in some products being taken off the program.

View attachment 13433

Social media users also lashed out at the supermarkets for adjusting the product list.

One shared: ‘How come on Sunday I bought a W/W mineral water diet orange and passionfruit for 75 cents and today it was $1.50? That is 100 per cent more in 3 days.’ They added that this was a ‘complete rip-off’, and that they will not buy the items again at Woolworths.

Another person shared a photo of a can of Nestle Coffee and Milk and wrote: ‘Certainly hiking up the prices. $4.20 last shop, $5.00 this shop – 19% increase of 80 cents in one go!’

‘Considering it is just milk and sugar (with 4 per cent coffee), and those farmers aren’t seeing increases in farm gate prices, I hope you’re holding Nestle and other suppliers to account for this cost-of-living pressure?’ Someone else added.

Similar messages of disappointment and frustration littered Coles’ Facebook page as well.

One said that they saw the 4-pack of 500ml Mother energy drinks had a price tag of $7.60 a week ago and noticed that the price has been changed to $12 a pack recently.

‘I know inflation this year is 7.9 per cent, which would make the price $8.45, however, at $12 is an increase of over 53 per cent in one week,’ they added.

(As of writing, the 4-pack 500 ml cans of Mother Black energy drinks are priced at $8.00 in Coles’ online store. The price has also been locked until June 27, 2023.)

View attachment 13434

‘Wow, the sudden price hike within the week is mind-boggling. A few items so far I get, but every week has jumped 40 to 50 per cent on EACH item,’ another shared and added that they could not understand the justification behind the increase why it was so ‘sudden’.

One agreed and responded: ‘How can you justify 1.5L Powerade being sold for $6.35? All last year it was $3.90 – there should be a royal commission into supermarkets, that’s an increase of over 60 per cent.’

Coles’ current price freeze is set to be in place until Easter, meanwhile, Woolworths recently reduced the price of more than 300 ‘summer grocery staples’ despite ending its similar program.

‘We know cost-of-living pressures are being felt by Australian families, and throughout 2023 we will continue to work hard to help them save each time they shop with us,’ a spokesperson for Woolworths explained previously.

They also reassured their customers that the retailer remains ‘focused’ on maximising value for their customers. ‘Many of the products from the program currently remain at the same low price,’ they added.

This comes after several reports of ‘sudden’ price hikes of certain products have been seen by social media users online.

One woman visited her local Coles store and was left ‘stumped’ by a sign that promoted an outrageous deal on 650-gram boxes of Kellogg’s Coco pops cereal. You can find out more about that story here.

Meanwhile, a mum set out to do her weekly grocery shop at her local store but realised that the brand of bread she usually buys ballooned in price in a matter of days. More about her discovery can be read here.
Key Takeaways

• Australians are in shock after discovering their usual supermarket bills were significantly more expensive at the checkouts this week.
  • Woolworths and Coles announced their price freezes on hundreds of staples late last year.
  • Wooworths’ program ended on December 31, 2022. Meanwhile, Coles extended their program ahead of its January 31 expiration date.
  • However, shoppers have noticed a ‘string of price hikes’ this week, infuriating customers online and asking the supermarkets to justify their decisions.
We want to hear from you – have you noticed this at the supermarket? Let us know in the comments below!
Woolworths’ “price drop” is a joke. More often than not the item goes up substantially for a couple of months, then it is price dropped but is still more than the original price. For example my preferred cereal was $5.50. Jumped to $7. Now price dropped to $6. It’s all just marketing and profits.

View attachment 13431

View attachment 13432

View attachment 13433

View attachment 13434

Key Takeaways

I find it amusing how most of the "Locked Price" items are of normally very expensive products or products you would not buy anyway, so really, where is the benefit, things I buy regularly when shopping are still going up each week! yep, every week things are going up, you can't tell me its freight anymore, fuel is cheaper, and the roads are open.

View attachment 13431

View attachment 13432

View attachment 13433

View attachment 13434

Key Takeaways

People buying flavoured drinks and so called luxury items are being hit hard to pay for the price freezes. Coles and Woolies are only interested in getting people through the door and making profits. They lower the price , or freeze, the price of one item and up the price of another to cover it. It's all smoke and mirrors and keeping their share holders happy is the end result. If you don't like their prices the shop around and go elsewhere. There is plenty of competition out there. Don't be fooled by their advertising. The only ones they are doing any favors for is themselves.

Most people know that fruit & vegetables are cheaper when in season. eg. fresh berries when cheaper in season, otherwise frozen. Peaches cheaper in season, otherwise I buy SPC Australian peaches.

I shop at Aldi, yes their prices have increased but not as much as Coles and Woolworths and their products are good, if not better than the more expensive brands sold elsewhere. Its all about choice if you don't like Aldi just continue to pay the inflated prices at the other supermarkets.

I buy from Coles, Woolworths & Aldi because one shop does not have all my preferred brands etc. There is no doubt that prices have been going up every shop. Many of the locked prices are on items I do not buy as I consider them luxuries. As a pensioner, I am able to access a food pantry. I go once a month and get cereal, drinks or canned goods there. My brother & I do not go hungry but I only buy a meat item once a fortnight! Thanks for nothing Albo!

Reactions: Bunyip57
I buy my lactose free milk from Aldi. It went from $1.49 to $1.79 per litre overnight. It is still cheaper than other places so I grin and bear the 30 cent increase.

View attachment 13431

View attachment 13432

View attachment 13433

View attachment 13434

Key Takeaways

It's marvelous what foods and amounts you don't need when you've had your stomach removed.

I shop every pension day at Aldi. I do buy all their goods as opposed to getting most things from Woolies The only thing I buy at Woolies is the Tena pads as the ones from Aldi are too fat for comfortable wearing & are no good for stopping leaks. Yes, I am incontinent much to my displeasure but getting old can do that to a person

I have noticed it too, as an example, I used to purchase a 4 litre bottle of coconut water in Woolworths for $6.00 recently it went up to $10.00. The size of their soup tins has reduced to 3/4 while the prices have increased, many prices of items have escalated.

Shopping around can save at least a third of what Woolworths and Coles charge. Shopping at Aldi offers a MARKED difference when it comes to value for money grocery shopping, though their product range is nowhere as extensive. Woolworths is owned by America, who set the prices.

I came from a poor family, and I do recall when I was young that a big night out, was to go window shopping, not purchasing anything as we couldn't afford it, just pointing at things that looked nice.

In the future Woolworth's and Coles could potentially do food tours that likewise take people window shopping through their aisle's, so people can marvel and point at all of the many things, that people not on a high income, can no longer afford.
I in-store window shop now in Coles, Woollies and even Aldi. I even do it with their catalogues. Wow, look at that leg of lam. Look at the prawns. What about that double brie cheese, yummy doesn't it taste nice. I still can savour the taste from 5 years ago. Remember that leg of lamb with veggies and mint gel and homemade gravy 20 years ago. I can taste it now.

I shop at all 3 stores (Woollies, Coles and Aldi, even IGA). I also shop at the fruit market. The butcher shops have also lost track and charge too much.

Every week I wait for Monday until 5.30pm and I go onto the Internet and click onto the up-coming catalogue sales that start every Wednesday and search what's on sale, what I actually use and then Wednesday mornings I also search the store's internet site for other items that are on sale that I purchase and need more of but not listed in their catalogues. They do have other items on sale but just not listed in the catalogues. I also invested in Woollies Extra Rewards card at $59 Annual Fees. The savings has paid for the annual fees and extra perks as well. Plus, extra Bonus Points. $Free item once a month of their choosing.