Get ready to stock your pantry! Coles extends major price freeze for supermarket staples

As inflation continues to impact the lives of Aussies everywhere, people want nothing more than to keep grocery costs down and save up for other things.

The good news is that supermarket giant Coles is doing their part to help ease the cost-of-living pressures – by extending its price freeze program beyond its original expiry date.

Aussie households across the country can now breathe a sigh of relief, because a spokesperson for Coles confirmed that the supermarket will extend its ‘DROPPED & LOCKED’ price freeze policy past the deadline.

‘DROPPED & LOCKED has received an incredible response and has helped save Australian households millions of dollars since it launched last year,’ they said.

coles.jpg
Coles set to extend its price freeze program. Credit: Coles

‘With the cost-of-living pressures, customers know they can rely on these locked prices at Coles each time they go shopping to help plan and manage their budgets,’ the spokesperson added.

Just recently, it was reported that the major retailer was set to end its price freeze on selected grocery items on January 31. However, the spokesperson did not say when the new expiry date would be.

‘Further details will be provided soon.’

grocery1.jpg
Shoppers are advised to wait for more details regarding the new deadline. Credit: PhotoMIX Company/Pexels

Both Coles and Woolworths announced their price freeze policies around August last year, however, Woolworths’ policy ended in December.

Unfortunately for Woolworths customers, the supermarket chain said they will not return this offer anytime soon.

The silver lining is that Woolworths is ‘committed to keeping prices down’.

A spokesperson for Woolies said: ‘We know cost-of-living pressures are being felt by Australian families and, throughout 2023, we will continue to work hard to help them save each time they shop with us.’

They added that while their program has ended, they will remain focused on maximising customers’ value for money. ‘Many of the products from the program currently remain at the same low price,’ the spokesperson shared.

They reassured everyone that they will continue to review the cost-increase requests they receive from supplies on a case-by-case basis and will ‘work together to sensitively manage market-wide inflationary pressures’.

A price freeze implemented by a major supermarket, such as Coles or Woolworths, may provide some much-needed relief and financial security for cash-strapped shoppers. This also allows retailers to find ways to increase sales and boost their profits.

This includes strategies such as implementing price freezes, increasing the visibility of promotions, and increasing loyalty membership goals.

Price freezes are an effective way of locking in prices and encouraging shoppers to keep returning. By removing the fear of price increases, shoppers can be more confident in returning to their favourite store.

Specials, discounts and rewards also help to get shoppers to actually buy a product. For instance, offering freebies or discounts for purchasing multiple items can be an effective way to drive sales.

Key Takeaways

• Coles has extended its DROPPED & LOCKED policy past the January 31 expiration date, giving customers greater assurance when it comes to their weekly grocery costs.
  • A spokesperson confirmed the extension, but did not give an exact date for the new deadline.
  • Woolworths has not extended its price freeze program but is working to manage market-wide inflationary pressures by evaluating cost-increase requests from suppliers on a case-by-case basis.
What are your thoughts on this, members? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
As inflation continues to impact the lives of Aussies everywhere, people want nothing more than to keep grocery costs down and save up for other things.

The good news is that supermarket giant Coles is doing their part to help ease the cost-of-living pressures – by extending its price freeze program beyond its original expiry date.

Aussie households across the country can now breathe a sigh of relief, because a spokesperson for Coles confirmed that the supermarket will extend its ‘DROPPED & LOCKED’ price freeze policy past the deadline.

‘DROPPED & LOCKED has received an incredible response and has helped save Australian households millions of dollars since it launched last year,’ they said.

View attachment 11572

‘With the cost-of-living pressures, customers know they can rely on these locked prices at Coles each time they go shopping to help plan and manage their budgets,’ the spokesperson added.

Just recently, it was reported that the major retailer was set to end its price freeze on selected grocery items on January 31. However, the spokesperson did not say when the new expiry date would be.

View attachment 11573
Shoppers are advised to wait for more details regarding the new deadline. Credit: PhotoMIX Company/Pexels

Both Coles and Woolworths announced their price freeze policies around August last year, however, Woolworths’ policy ended in December.

Unfortunately for Woolworths customers, the supermarket chain said they will not return this offer anytime soon.

A spokesperson for Woolies said: ‘We know cost-of-living pressures are being felt by Australian families and, throughout 2023, we will continue to work hard to help them save each time they shop with us.’

They added that while their program has ended, they will remain focused on maximising customers’ value for money. ‘Many of the products from the program currently remain at the same low price,’ the spokesperson shared.

They reassured everyone that they will continue to review the cost-increase requests they receive from supplies on a case-by-case basis and will ‘work together to sensitively manage market-wide inflationary pressures’.

A price freeze implemented by a major supermarket, such as Coles or Woolworths, may provide some much-needed relief and financial security for cash-strapped shoppers. This also allows retailers to find ways to increase sales and boost their profits.

This includes strategies such as implementing price freezes, increasing the visibility of promotions, and increasing loyalty membership goals.

Price freezes are an effective way of locking in prices and encouraging shoppers to keep returning. By removing the fear of price increases, shoppers can be more confident in returning to their favourite store.

Specials, discounts and rewards also help to get shoppers to actually buy a product. For instance, offering freebies or discounts for purchasing multiple items can be an effective way to drive sales.

Key Takeaways

• Coles has extended its DROPPED & LOCKED policy past the January 31 expiration date, giving customers greater assurance when it comes to their weekly grocery costs.
  • A spokesperson confirmed the extension, but did not give an exact date for the new deadline.
  • Woolworths has not extended its price freeze program but is working to manage market-wide inflationary pressures by evaluating cost-increase requests from suppliers on a case-by-case basis.
What are your thoughts on this, members? Share them with us in the comments below!
Great advertising campaign but it's really only smoke and mirrors deception. While customers are concentrating on products that have been " supposedly frozen " their focus is being taken away from other products that are being increased to more than cover this supposed cost saving deal. Best advice is take take advantage of these specials but always shop around. Don't believe the hype because in the long run they are there to make money for their company and investors and that is the bottom line.

Don't for one minute think that Coles is doing this to benefit its customers, it's all about the bottom line for their investors. If they can drag new customer in on the back of this, or if their customers don't notice the increase on other items it's all to their good. :rolleyes: ;)

Oh what joy, Oh what fun, only yesterday I shopped at Coles and found that eight of the Items I buy every fortnight, ie., regular staples have increased in price by 15 t0 25 cents per each. So much for keeping things on the down low.

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I shop at both stores, but I will say that Woolworths has a much better reward system in place where you can gain extra points when purchasing certain everyday items that you actually use or buy in your weekly shop.
Coles has the flybuys you can scan but it doesn’t offer as much here in SA unlike other states where you can get a certain amount of flybuy points for certain items that people don’t buy as an every day usage.
I remember Coles would have shelf flybuy tags so the customer could see how many point they were gaining as well as having it printed on the docket

Reactions: Jill57 and Ricci
Coles says that they try to keep costs down but that is not my experience. Last year Coles own brand mixed grain bread was $2.39 , now it is $3. If bread as announced has risen 10% then surely Coles is reaping more than their fair share of profit because a price rise of 61cents represents a WHOLE lot more than 10%. Now when I shop at Coles or any other supermarket if an item has risen in price by more than 10% , that’s it , it is off my shopping list. At this rate I shall be living off porridge and beans.

Don't for one minute think that Coles is doing this to benefit its customers, it's all about the bottom line for their investors. If they can drag new customer in on the back of this, or if their customers don't notice the increase on other items it's all to their good. :rolleyes: ;)
Well stated Ricci. Several years ago l did regular gardening for a lady who had Coles shares. Instead of walking 100 metres to do her shopping at a grocery store in a large shopping centre she would get in her car & drive the 10 - 15 km round trip to a Coles store in another shopping centre because she had Coles shares. I look at petrol, wear & tear on the vehicle, time taken to drive, park, alight the vehicle & then reverse all this, for the small amount bought l would say let others boost my bonuses.
( She was also very frugal with money which also made this action senseless to me ).

Reactions: Jill57 and Ricci
Regardless of what supermarket you go to they have all put up their prices. I look at the catalogues, check out the specials, if I can I stock up on things I know I use a lot I do, it is lovely that these stores are saying we understand blah blah, but it is the consumer that has to look out for themselves and make their money stretch further each week.

Regardless of what supermarket you go to they have all put up their prices. I look at the catalogues, check out the specials, if I can I stock up on things I know I use a lot I do, it is lovely that these stores are saying we understand blah blah, but it is the consumer that has to look out for themselves and make their money stretch further each week.
Touche!

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 11572

View attachment 11573

Key Takeaways

I, unfortunately, use male incontinence pads; Tena Level 3. In the last 12 months, the Coles price has gone from $8.00 per pack to $8.00 with every 6th pack free to $9.50 and now to $8.80 "Down, down and locked" That is an effective jump of about 20%. Congratulations to the Spin Doctors at Coles!

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci