Spent the last three years of my education (59 - 61) as a boarder at Sacred Heart College in Auckland. Some of those brothers were vicious bastards, Brother Ralph in particular. Getting caned wearing thin summer pyjamas for being in the vicinity of a disturbance in the dormitory was not fun.

I was at boarding school. In year 8 (form 2) we had a nun who had a 6 foot long cane which she could not look over if holding it upright while standing on the platform at the front of the room. She liked to hold this cane and use it to point to pupils during class. Our class that year was extra large with 3 children to each desk instead of 2.
One evening a group of boarding students were in the classroom after hours and playing around with the cane when we split it. WE managed to cut off the split end.
Next day poor Sister was puzzled to find she was looking over the top of the cane.
The day pupils were mystified too until we let them in on the secret.

I had a sadistic teacher who seemed to delight in making your life miserable. If you couldn't understand an instruction , he used that as an excuse to beat you. Over time, He started with the large blackboard ruler and when that broke, he switched to a cane and when that broke, he then used a hard rubber hose. He never hit your face but everywhere else was fair game. This was in the 60's. Primary School. Qld.

I copped the cane a few times at school, but usually due to guilt by association! Generally, I knew what I needed to do to avoid getting wacked so no problem for me at school really.

Only the boys got the cane but the girls had to stay in and write 500 lines eg "I must not talk in class" It didn't work either.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Apart from me getting the strap 6 times, for not completing homework.. I remember a mate called Simon, who over 6 foot tall at age 16.. Our English teacher was around 5 foot tall and when he called Simon up to get the cuts ( strap) for being naughty.. the teacher was overwhelmed by Simons size.. he ordered Simon to raise his hand to get the strap.. Simon raised his hands above his shoulders which not raised them around 6.5 feet.. lol., realising he couldn’t reach Simons hands with the strap...he stepped up onto his desk by standing on his chair on the raised platform.. ordered Simon to raise his hands again.. as he jumped off the table trying to strap Simon.. Simon pulled his hands away.. the teacher landed on the floor missed Simons hands and sent the class into hysterics.. the teacher was so embarrassed all he could do was take Simon to the Headmaster’s office.. the class was never the same ..

Two teachers I remember the first one was year 2 and I'm sure I copt the ruler on the back of my legs because she didn't like me, to this day I don't know what I ever did wrong, except one time she was canning a boy and it went on and on and I told her to stop.

The 2nd time was in 3rd form or year 9 and I was in my typing class where we all had a bib over the keys so we couldn't cheat. The teacher Betty Philips would walk around and she could see through the side of the bib if our fingers were on the right keys and if they weren't then she hit you with the ruler.
A few girls already had their walloping
Guess it was now my turn

My pinky was sore from pushing down on the shift key when she saw me and came over and started hitting me hard with her ruler so hard that my finger started bleeding, she Walked of laughing when I calked her a bitch and threw a chair at her just clipping her leg.
I was expelled from that school Kingsgrove North High I then went onto Dulwich Hill High where I met my husband.

Things do happen for a reason.

Last edited:
Apart from me getting the strap 6 times, for not completing homework.. I remember a mate called Simon, who over 6 foot tall at age 16.. Our English teacher was around 5 foot tall and when he called Simon up to get the cuts ( strap) for being naughty.. the teacher was overwhelmed by Simons size.. he ordered Simon to raise his hand to get the strap.. Simon raised his hands above his shoulders which not raised them around 6.5 feet.. lol., realising he couldn’t reach Simons hands with the strap...he stepped up onto his desk by standing on his chair on the raised platform.. ordered Simon to raise his hands again.. as he jumped off the table trying to strap Simon.. Simon pulled his hands away.. the teacher landed on the floor missed Simons hands and sent the class into hysterics.. the teacher was so embarrassed all he could do was take Simon to the Headmaster’s office.. the class was never the same ..
🤣🤣🤣

Did you cop the cane or the ruler at school?

View attachment 12591
Whack-o! (1956-60, 71-2) Credits:filmint.nu
Did you cop the cane or the ruler at school back in the day? Whether you misbehaved or didn’t hand in your homework on time, the punishment was swift. I remember getting a couple of whacks with the ruler for being noisy in class! It sure taught us to stay on the good side of our teachers and be respectful. You’ll smile at the memory now, but I bet it wasn’t so funny back then! Did you have any similar experiences?

View attachment 12591
Did you cop the cane or the ruler at school back in the day? Whether you misbehaved or didn’t hand in your homework on time, the punishment was swift. I remember getting a couple of whacks with the ruler for being noisy in class! It sure taught us to stay on the good side of our teachers and be respectful. You’ll smile at the memory now, but I bet it wasn’t so funny back then! Did you have any similar experiences?
As the old saying goes, “Spare the rod spoil the child.” Nothing is more apt and true in todays age. Children and young adults of today have never been given discipline appropriate for their behaviours. Whilst I admit that some sadistic parents, caregivers and teachers back in “my day” (60s and 70s) went ridiculously overboard when administering punishment, it is my belief that corporal punishment should have been more specifically redefined rather that outlawed. Nowadays we hear on the news more and more about children as young as 9 or 10 committing horrendous crimes. Seriously, the world is in for some very rough times ahead as these unruly kids of today become our leaders of tomorrow. I feel truly concerned as to what type of world lays ahead of us in the next 20 years. All I can say is, BRING BACK “CONTROLLED“ CORPORAL PUNISHMENT BEFORE OUR KIDS DESTROY MANKIND.
I stress, however, that corporal punishment should only include and be limited to a single smack on the hands, backside or back of the legs with an open hand and should never be administered with the use of any implement such as a stick, cane, strap or belt etc. As other readers have noted, ”controlled” forms of punishments in our childhoods have lead us to be better, more well adjusted adults. I have raised my three children with these measures and I’m also raising my two grandchildren with the same measures. All of them are pillars of society.

View attachment 12591
My grade 6 teacher used a wooden set square, my dad was furious when I got home

@SGH...i know exactly what you are saying Grades 1-6 ..I never got into trouble, caned, strapped or smacked, Except for one thing, I wrote left-handed and the Mercy Nuns hit me with a ruler on the hand .. I soon learnt to use the right hand so I became ambidextrous in no time. No big deal ... for the next 6 years I was nearly top of the class in exams and sat at the back of the classroom. Now in Year 6, I was 2nd in class and I was happy . .. I was a popular kid also Captain of our Junior Swimming team with lots of pennants.. Now along came a christian Bro ##### who was our study master and he would sneak into the room and stand behind me... try it.. You know someone or something was there. Curiousity and I would turn to see who it was ..Yep! Bro ##### signals me to stand up and put out my hand.. 4 hard straps on my left hand. In 1956, we were taught not to question our peers, teachers, parents or older persons. I put my left hand out because I needed the right to write my study work etc. Now the thumb section of my hand turned purple from bruising. I would never complain or cried (boys dont cry) or tell my parents because that could cause another punishment.

1957, I left Nudgee and went to Downlands Toowoomba, where I didn't get in to trouble for the entire years of my schooling. My hand returned to normal colour much to my surprise. I was very bitter for ##### but all other teachers were great and some very stern but they all had a good side and showed it. For years I endeavoured to return and punch out ##### for his vendetta towards me... Never got to meet up with him again.. I wasn't an angel, I lived but the 11th Commandment "Thou Shalt Not Get Caught" .. I just never did.

The truth is I loved school and I was at boarding schools for my entire schooling years.

Last edited:
Ah, the good old days of school discipline. I have some memories of getting a cane or ruler for misbehaving or not handing in homework on time. It was a swift punishment that aimed to keep us in line. I vividly recall receiving a couple of whacks with the ruler for being too noisy in class. It made me think twice about disrupting the classroom atmosphere. By the way, if you ever need a reliable and accurate ruler for any purpose, you can check out the one available online. It's a handy online tool that can help you with precise measurements. So, let's reminisce about our school days and share our experiences with the ruler or cane!

Last edited:
Worse than that, we used to get the cricket bat, hockey stick, leather strap tightly stitched with a lead strip sowed in plus the tee square, how’s that for the catholic arsenal at Saint Patrick’s College in Geraldton WA…….Rick

Worse than that, we used to get the cricket bat, hockey stick, leather strap tightly stitched with a lead strip sowed in plus the tee square, how’s that for the catholic arsenal at Saint Patrick’s College in Geraldton WA…….Rick
Bastards!

I had a nun in Grade 2 (1960's) who was sadistic and narcissitic and used her open hand, a ruler, or her favourite was her 1 inch cane. At least once a week she would take me to the cloakroom whether I had done something or not - there was no reason that I can ever recall. Unfortunately, I sat in the aisle that led to the classroom door and if she took someone else to this place, she would say 'and you can come too'. In her aged years, I heard that she was categorically stating that she never touched children. I still have the physical scars today. Physical assaults and abuse was rife up until about the 1970's.
That was interesting. Where about was that school. ??
I was hand slapped with a ruler by an Irish lay teacher in the convent in London England.

View attachment 12591
Strap.😡 Occasionally even deserved it.

I copped a double leather strap, 6 of the best.. for never doing homework for Mondays!! The teacher called it the ‘Thing’ and carried it under his coat on his shoulder.. Couldn’t pick up a pen for 2 hours… it was like a badge of honour to get it weekly.. 😊😊😊

Reactions: MJPB on Magnetic