I went to a private school run by brothers, the school was Saint Patrick’s College in Geraldton. The brothers loved beating us all with what ever weapon they could muster like a cricket bat or hockey stick or baseball bat tee square but their favourite weapon was the tightly stitched leather strap with a lead strip sown inside, the leather was one inch wide and about fifteen inches long, their was six pieces of leather with lead sown all together, what a weapon, they would make you kneel and put your hands side by side then beat you till you collapse on the floor.

I copped a double leather strap, 6 of the best.. for never doing homework for Mondays!! The teacher called it the ‘Thing’ and carried it under his coat on his shoulder.. Couldn’t pick up a pen for 2 hours… it was like a badge of honour to get it weekly.. 😊😊😊
Yes ... I do recall some of the guys did consider getting the strap "as you suggested " a badge of honour. I now remember a few like minded boys from my school days.
I remember one such teacher who was particularly fond of using the strap. Grade 4 to grade 12 he'd call out to you. . "Hey little boy." Those three words got everyone's immediate attention. Who was going cop it? Man, did he hit hard. I remember stealing his straps from his desk, one lunchtime. Only did that once. No idea how he discovered I'd pinched them. Could have been my super red face gave me away.🥵

I copped the cane at school. If you were being naught you were sent to the headmaster's office for the cane. One or two hits on each hand then back to class. During writing lessons, the teacher would look at what you were writing and if she wasn't pleased, she would hit you on the hand you were writing with. :cry:

At a Catholic primary school in the sixties and in grade three, we had a mean and cranky elderly lady teacher. She had various methods of discipline. If we were too talkative she’d make you stand at the front of the classroom, both arms outstretched to the side and she‘d place two or three heavy books on each open palm. She made you stand there trembling with aching muscles trying not to drop the books, then when you did, you copped the cane - her green feather duster- across your legs, often resulting in bruises and sometimes even bleeding. Also, for every maths sum or spelling error, you got the cane across your open palms. When she was in a particularly vicious mood, she’d make you turn your palm over and that wooden cane would smash down across the bones in your fingers and fingertips. This brutal behaviour to a seven and eight years of age little girl led me to know I wanted to become a teacher, determined to be fair and understanding to children. Brutal days, which continued throughout primary school and, if you dared to tell your parents, they’d say, “Well, you must have deserved it!” And then you’d get into trouble from them, too. Needless to say, you learned to say nothing.

Did you cop the cane or the ruler at school?

View attachment 12591
Whack-o! (1956-60, 71-2) Credits:filmint.nu
Did you cop the cane or the ruler at school back in the day? Whether you misbehaved or didn’t hand in your homework on time, the punishment was swift. I remember getting a couple of whacks with the ruler for being noisy in class! It sure taught us to stay on the good side of our teachers and be respectful. You’ll smile at the memory now, but I bet it wasn’t so funny back then! Did you have any similar experiences?
I certainly did cop the cane and the belt from my dad.
I think I turned out all right.