Did this Coles shopper take it too far? Other shoppers were outraged

Shopping can sometimes be a stressful experience, especially when there is a long line at the checkout! We’ve all had to wait patiently for our turn at some point, however, one Coles customer decided to take matters into his own hands… with questionable results.

In a post on Facebook, the regional NSW shopper claimed that he left fresh food items, including a hot roast chicken, milk and chilled orange juice, at the front of the store in protest of the limited number of checkouts open.

'Today I dumped a hot chicken, milk and cold orange juice, which I was happy to pay more for at IGA,' he wrote in his post.

The customer also threatened to leave more fresh food unattended until Coles provided 'real service’.

The post continued: 'As long as you only have two checkouts open I will keep dumping my purchases near the checkouts and walk out to shop at the local IGA.'

'Come on Coles - pick your game up and stop treating us like fools.'

91bbbc372277c71030514713f97d6177c99298ae-161x229-x0y0w1012h1440.jpg

Outrage ensued when the shopper abandoned his basket of fresh food at the register of his local Coles store and walked out of the establishment. Credit: Facebook.

The man's declaration did not sit well with other shoppers on social media, with many of them lashing out at the customer for his 'entitled' actions and claiming that he is simply looking for a 'victimless' way to show his anger.

One person said: 'You must feel like such a big man wasting food and adding to the workload of the already overworked staff.'

'Do you feel better now? What a waste of food, it would have all had to have been thrown out.' another said.

'Oh, and by the way, your Entitlement Medal is in the mail.'

A third chimed in: 'Grow up.'

Others pointed out that the staff members at the shopper's local Coles would likely be relieved if he stopped shopping there.

One comment read: 'Coles would probably prefer you didn’t come back. What a flog.'

'Then why are you threatening to go somewhere else? Figure it out without acting like a spoilt child,' another added.

A third asked: 'Most IGAs only have one checkout open, do you dump and run then?'

However, the customer wasn’t put off by the criticism and demanded 'decent and reasonable service' from Coles workers.

He argued: 'Two checkouts open and people complaining ... if you are prepared to put up with long lines at one or two checkouts when there are ten, then I am not.'

'I will go to a store where there is real service.'

Following the debate from social media users, Coles has issued a statement about the situation.

'We understand a speedy checkout experience is important to our customers, and we monitor weekly and daily volumes to ensure we have enough people rostered on,' said a spokesperson for Coles.

'We have forwarded this customer’s feedback to the store and regional managers.'

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper revealed his act of protest which involved dumping his grocery items - including a hot roast chicken, milk and chilled orange juice - at the front of the store before leaving.
  • His post triggered an angry response from social media users who were appalled by his willingness to waste food.
  • The customer didn't take the criticism lying down, demanding “decent and reasonable service”.
  • A Coles spokesperson said the supermarket works hard to maintain sufficient staff levels in stores.

What do you think of this shopper’s behaviour? Does this story make you think twice before demanding service? Better yet, have you ever been in a similar situation and if so, what did you do? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
I agree with the actions, the more supermarkets are forced to throw food out and waste their profits the more likely they are to relent and help their customers. For you negative people, grow a pair and stand up for yourself because at the moment you are no better than trained sheep with about as many brains being treated like crap and taking it. The protest is fair and just.

What a tosser, did he think about asking if another checkout could be opened.
I can understand the frustration though. A month or so ago, I was doing my almost 2 hour monthly trip to pick up my daughter from her carer.As I had 30 mins to spare I dropped into Coles to grab a few things, it was early morning and there was only one checkout open and the lady in front of me had two full trolleys (yes, two). I realised that I would be late if I waited so went to the express lane and was told I had too many items for that lane.
I must admit that I did say that if that was the case they would need to put the items back. They then decided to serve me.
However under normal conditions I would have waited my turn in the queue.

All the comment I see are really against the guy that left the shopping there I can't help but stick up for him. If I go to a super market I do want to get out with my frozen food and not wait 15 minutes in line as my frozen thing will be spoiled. I still have an hour drive home. I am not paying for food that I know will be spoiled by the time I get home. It is the shops' greed that makes them have self serve checkouts. So if I use a self checkout am I not employed, technically, by the store? So where is my staff discount or when is my employment agreement?
Soon enough you won't have any check out as everything will be done by the device that you scan as you put things in your trolley. You will pay with your phone and cash will be gone. Then they will have complete over your money and shut it off any time THEY decide that you didn't do things right by your social credit score. When that is in place you will have lost all your freedom and live in 15 minute cities where you won't even be allowed to have a car! This is what the WEF has in mind for us all!
Think about that!

That guy needs to get a life. What a tosser.
I may not agree with the method he's using but at least he's standing up for himself which is more than you can say about all the gutless sheeple that just cop everything. They are the ones who allow this to go one because silence in consent! That is what they want!

Reactions: TomDevine55
Shopping can sometimes be a stressful experience, especially when there is a long line at the checkout! We’ve all had to wait patiently for our turn at some point, however, one Coles customer decided to take matters into his own hands… with questionable results.

In a post on Facebook, the regional NSW shopper claimed that he left fresh food items, including a hot roast chicken, milk and chilled orange juice, at the front of the store in protest of the limited number of checkouts open.

'Today I dumped a hot chicken, milk and cold orange juice, which I was happy to pay more for at IGA,' he wrote in his post.

The customer also threatened to leave more fresh food unattended until Coles provided 'real service’.

The post continued: 'As long as you only have two checkouts open I will keep dumping my purchases near the checkouts and walk out to shop at the local IGA.'

Outrage ensued when the shopper abandoned his basket of fresh food at the register of his local Coles store and walked out of the establishment. Credit: Facebook.

The man's declaration did not sit well with other shoppers on social media, with many of them lashing out at the customer for his 'entitled' actions and claiming that he is simply looking for a 'victimless' way to show his anger.

One person said: 'You must feel like such a big man wasting food and adding to the workload of the already overworked staff.'

'Do you feel better now? What a waste of food, it would have all had to have been thrown out.' another said.

Others pointed out that the staff members at the shopper's local Coles would likely be relieved if he stopped shopping there.

One comment read: 'Coles would probably prefer you didn’t come back. What a flog.'

'Then why are you threatening to go somewhere else? Figure it out without acting like a spoilt child,' another added.

A third asked: 'Most IGAs only have one checkout open, do you dump and run then?'

However, the customer wasn’t put off by the criticism and demanded 'decent and reasonable service' from Coles workers.

He argued: 'Two checkouts open and people complaining ... if you are prepared to put up with long lines at one or two checkouts when there are ten, then I am not.'

Following the debate from social media users, Coles has issued a statement about the situation.

'We understand a speedy checkout experience is important to our customers, and we monitor weekly and daily volumes to ensure we have enough people rostered on,' said a spokesperson for Coles.

'We have forwarded this customer’s feedback to the store and regional managers.'

Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper revealed his act of protest which involved dumping his grocery items - including a hot roast chicken, milk and chilled orange juice - at the front of the store before leaving.
  • His post triggered an angry response from social media users who were appalled by his willingness to waste food.
  • The customer didn't take the criticism lying down, demanding “decent and reasonable service”.
  • A Coles spokesperson said the supermarket works hard to maintain sufficient staff levels in stores.

What do you think of this shopper’s behaviour? Does this story make you think twice before demanding service? Better yet, have you ever been in a similar situation and if so, what did you do? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

What a tosser, did he think about asking if another checkout could be opened.
I can understand the frustration though. A month or so ago, I was doing my almost 2 hour monthly trip to pick up my daughter from her carer.As I had 30 mins to spare I dropped into Coles to grab a few things, it was early morning and there was only one checkout open and the lady in front of me had two full trolleys (yes, two). I realised that I would be late if I waited so went to the express lane and was told I had too many items for that lane.
I must admit that I did say that if that was the case they would need to put the items back. They then decided to serve me.
However under normal conditions I would have waited my turn in the queue.
These shops, and most other institutions seem to think that our time has no value. Case in point, how long do you like to stay on hold being told how important you are and they will be with you shortly. Listen to that for 45 minutes and you can see how important you really are. It's the same with supermarkets and many other shops. They don't care!!

Same applys to Woolworths

Key Takeaways

...I've waited in line at the checkouts at both stores meanwhile I've been almost run down by staff doing the on line shopping . I wouldn't leave groceries at the check out ,but have often thought about writing a complaint to the store . I think they are trying to pudh us over to the selfserve check outs ,which I refuse to use .

Reactions: JedCorella
I think i want to know when she goi

Key Takeaways

It‘s the way of the World these days. Everything is either done online or self-service. Agree that it’s not always the best idea for many reasons, but we just have to get used to these changes.

I would like to know when next she is going to dump her shopping, I will go and pick it up, what a waste, some people have far too much money to be able to just throw it away like that, but yes, Coles does seem to have very slim checkout staff no matter where you go.

I can relate, have been tempted to do the same. My local Coles frequently has one checkout open and the operator also mans the cigarette/service counter. Coles priority is shareholder profits not customer service. They couldn't open more checkouts if they wanted to because the staff are simply not available. They are intentionally trying to force the customer to use the self checkouts regardless of whether your buying a few items or have a full shopping trolley.

Your story says both Coles and IGA perhaps it should be corrected unless I have missed something I understood the customer had an issue with Coles

• Wow
It‘s the way of the World these days. Everything is either done online or self-service. Agree that it’s not always the best idea for many reasons, but we just have to get used to these changes.
Why do we have to used to this? The more that you conform, the more they will push you towards doing everything yourself saving them a lot of money on staff. Let's see prices come down accordingly.
The reason we find ourselves in so much trouble in the world is that most people conform to just about everything. "2 weeks to fatten the curve" is a great example. Lies and manipulation!!

I can relate, have been tempted to do the same. My local Coles frequently has one checkout open and the operator also mans the cigarette/service counter. Coles priority is shareholder profits not customer service. They couldn't open more checkouts if they wanted to because the staff are simply not available. They are intentionally trying to force the customer to use the self checkouts regardless of whether your buying a few items or have a full shopping trolley.
You are right. It's all about profits and nothing to do with customer service.