SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Defrosting the fridge

Remember the first fridge your family ever bought? Although it required defrosting and was quite noisy, it was a game changer for many families. It was a luxury item often saved up for and completely changed how households managed their food. They were so durable, too, with stories of families still using the same fridge after so many years. Do you still have an old, reliable fridge?

Last edited:
Reactions: JayKay
We still have our fridge purchased in 1979 from a second hand shop. The only time it gets turned off is to defrost it. It keeps my beer cold and the ice cream frozen. I replaced the seal with a magnetic one as the door catch gave up the ghost in 2010.

• Wow
Reactions: Vella Gonzaga
I recall our first one and the ice man coming each two days to refresh it. Then my paren finally bought a frigidair I think it was called. And was on our built in porch where the ice box used to be, as that was where the power point was. I recall that’s where we could go and get ice to chew on in summers

I remember the yellow ice chest, and the iceman coming weekly carrying the big block of ice in the hessian sack to place in the top of the icechest.
My sister and I would run after the iceman, and he'd chip us off a few bits of ice each to suck.
It used to be so cold in our hands.
I remember Mum's first frig.....a yellow Frigidaire.
It seemed to be,very tall, and the front had a large curve on it.....it seemed very bulky.
I remember Mum made her own icecream...I think she bought little Kraft tins of ice-cream powder, blue for vanilla, pink for strawberry, and brown for chocolate.
Liquid used to be added to the powder, and Mum would whip it up using her Sunbeam Mix Master.
Then she would pour it into the freezer trays, and let it set.
Then she had to mix it two more times, oh the agony of waiting!
The joys of that first frig!

• Love
Reactions: Vella Gonzaga