Dashcam catches Dan Murphy’s liquor theft on video

Have you ever experienced entering a bottle shop's car park and coming across something unexpected?

Well, one Aussie motorist was in for quite a surprise when he pulled into the car park—and caught something on his dashcam!

A video showing an alleged thief running off with two bottles became ‘popular’ on social media, stunning Aussies everywhere.

In the clip, a man was sprinting from the Dan Murphy’s store with two bottles of Jim Beam in his hands.

According to reports, no one from inside the bottle shop was seen chasing after him, clearly leaving people who watched the clip questioning why the situation was not dealt with.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 3.04.03 PM.png
A thief caught on a dashcam outside a bottle shop stunned Australians.
Image source: Reddit

The motorist who filmed the incident said that the security guard they saw was ‘standing by the door looking dismayed’ after the alleged thief escaped.

‘As someone who worked at Dan Murphy's for years, don't bother running, we don't care enough to stop you,’ commented one Aussie.

Sadly, this isn't an isolated incident either, retail workers are often faced with such danger in their everyday working lives.

In October, a woman was caught on camera punching an IGA worker in the head in Mandurah.

The altercation began when the worker attempted to check the woman's bag while leaving the supermarket. Local authorities promptly investigated the matter.

Recent data from the Australian Retailers Association (ARA) has shown that an alarming 92 per cent of retailers say that they have either personally experienced or had a team member experience verbal or physical abuse while at work.

‘Being yelled at, spat at, punched or groped is not tolerated in any other workplace, and must not be accepted in retail,’ stressed ARA Chief Executive Paul Zahra.

Video source: Reddit

Furthermore, Zahra called on other states to take NSW, SA and NT’s approach and make laws even tougher to properly protect retail employees.

On the other hand, a representative from Dan Murphy mentioned that the incident has been reported to the police.

They said: ‘The incident has been referred to NSW Police for investigation. Our priority, as always, is the safety and well-being of both our customers and our team members.’

The incident occurred just as a new safety council is set to be established to address the growing issue of customer abuse and violence against retail employees.

This initiative comes after an agreement among key stakeholders, including the Australian Retailers Association (ARA), the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association (SDA), major retailers, and shopping centres during a recent roundtable discussion.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian motorist's dashcam captured footage of an alleged thief sprinting away from a Dan Murphy liquor store in Sydney with two bottles of Jim Beam.
  • The incident highlighted the risks retail workers face, with statistics revealing that 92 per cent of Australian retailers reported their staff members have experienced verbal or physical abuse at work.
  • A spokesperson for Dan Murphy’s confirmed the incident has been reported to the police and emphasised the priority is the safety and wellbeing of customers and team members.
Members, how would you respond if you witnessed a thief making a getaway from a store? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

Sponsored
My father and I were behind a man who grabbed cash out of the till at a local supermarket. We gave chase but he was faster and got away. If he'd been slower I would have tackled him.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I would say good luck mate enjoy the burbon as woolworths own dan murphys and made bilion dollars profit last year and surely can afford you few burbons
Perhaps you would be less generous if it was your small business they were stealing from??
Every theft from a supermarket puts up the price to the everyday shopper - so think before you support crime of any sort- it won’t be long and it will be at your own doorstep!

My Husband was in a two-bed ward in hospital, with a difficult patient with dementia beside him. The dementia patient had a security guard beside him, sitting with his head down and mobile phone in hand.
The patient got out of bed, grabbed my husband's walking stick and proceeded to hit him around the head. I was on the opposite side and leant across his body to protect his head as he couldn't move. I had to scream at the security guard for help, he hadn't even moved as he was too busy on his phone.
As far as I'm concerned, most security guards are a waste of space.
They should not allow for that security guy to have a phone on him , while he is on duty . He did not need it as he was there just to look after one patient .

My son was a manager at McDonald's when a man armed with a knife demanded money , my son refused and offered him an Apple Pie. The so called robber ended up leaving the store after smashing the door. This made my son furious and he chased after the guy and tackled him to the ground . The police arrived minutes later .

I told him he shouldn't have gave chased ,he replied if it happens again I will do it again. Thank goodness that was 16 years ago and he is now a builder.

McDonald's staff are told to give what the criminal wants and never try to detain them.

I know staff at Dan Murray's are told the same thing but what I have to ask was the security dude hired to look pretty !!!
My heart skipped a beat when I read 'knife'! I know it happened well over a decade ago, but the relief is much like it just happened 😅

Reactions: Suzanne rose
My Husband was in a two-bed ward in hospital, with a difficult patient with dementia beside him. The dementia patient had a security guard beside him, sitting with his head down and mobile phone in hand.
The patient got out of bed, grabbed my husband's walking stick and proceeded to hit him around the head. I was on the opposite side and leant across his body to protect his head as he couldn't move. I had to scream at the security guard for help, he hadn't even moved as he was too busy on his phone.
Yes, it could have been very serious as he was hitting him around the head. I don't blame the other patient, he was ill, but it's not a good mix in a hospital ward when the other patients can't move. I don't have my husband anymore he passed away 16months ago, but to those of you with loved ones, you have to protect them, even in hospital.
Our sincerest condolences, @Clancieblue. You shielding him with your own body says a lot about how much you loved him.

Reactions: DrivingGirl
Have you ever experienced entering a bottle shop's car park and coming across something unexpected?

Well, one Aussie motorist was in for quite a surprise when he pulled into the car park—and caught something on his dashcam!

A video showing an alleged thief running off with two bottles became ‘popular’ on social media, stunning Aussies everywhere.

In the clip, a man was sprinting from the Dan Murphy’s store with two bottles of Jim Beam in his hands.

According to reports, no one from inside the bottle shop was seen chasing after him, clearly leaving people who watched the clip questioning why the situation was not dealt with.

View attachment 34601

The motorist who filmed the incident said that the security guard they saw was ‘standing by the door looking dismayed’ after the alleged thief escaped.

‘As someone who worked at Dan Murphy's for years, don't bother running, we don't care enough to stop you,’ commented one Aussie.

Sadly, this isn't an isolated incident either, retail workers are often faced with such danger in their everyday working lives.

In October, a woman was caught on camera punching an IGA worker in the head in Mandurah.

The altercation began when the worker attempted to check the woman's bag while leaving the supermarket. Local authorities promptly investigated the matter.

Recent data from the Australian Retailers Association (ARA) has shown that an alarming 92 per cent of retailers say that they have either personally experienced or had a team member experience verbal or physical abuse while at work.

‘Being yelled at, spat at, punched or groped is not tolerated in any other workplace, and must not be accepted in retail,’ stressed ARA Chief Executive Paul Zahra.

Furthermore, Zahra called on other states to take NSW, SA and NT’s approach and make laws even tougher to properly protect retail employees.

On the other hand, a representative from Dan Murphy mentioned that the incident has been reported to the police.

They said: ‘The incident has been referred to NSW Police for investigation. Our priority, as always, is the safety and well-being of both our customers and our team members.’

The incident occurred just as a new safety council is set to be established to address the growing issue of customer abuse and violence against retail employees.

This initiative comes after an agreement among key stakeholders, including the Australian Retailers Association (ARA), the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association (SDA), major retailers, and shopping centres during a recent roundtable discussion.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian motorist's dashcam captured footage of an alleged thief sprinting away from a Dan Murphy liquor store in Sydney with two bottles of Jim Beam.
  • The incident highlighted the risks retail workers face, with statistics revealing that 92 per cent of Australian retailers reported their staff members have experienced verbal or physical abuse at work.
  • A spokesperson for Dan Murphy’s confirmed the incident has been reported to the police and emphasised the priority is the safety and wellbeing of customers and team members.
Members, how would you respond if you witnessed a thief making a getaway from a store? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

What can you do report to Police who are overworked and understaffed, chase until you fall over can't physically stop them unless you want to get sued or assaulted, the security guard in action says it all ,it's the result of an alarming norm, remember the brats at school that don't care have no respect and don't care yes it's repeated in our everyday lives. At least the older citizens have each other and family and of course SDC very special 😉.

I hope he was fired on the spot. A security guard for a person with dementia is unusual
anywhere. They should have placed the patient in a private single room if he was violent no excuses..

I would say good luck mate enjoy the burbon as woolworths own dan murphys and made bilion dollars profit last year and surely can afford you few burbons
It is my understanding that Dan Murphy's was transferred to the Endeavour group in 2019 and the Endeavour group was sold off in 2021 - so I don't think Woolworths still own them.

Being yelled at, spat at, punched or groped is not tolerated in any other workplace, and must not be accepted in retail,’ stressed ARA Chief Executive Paul Zahra.

Really? Come work on the dementia ward with me.

View attachment 34601

Key Takeaways

Well anyone who'd drink that has to be stupid so they just let them run, the self-punishment will suffice

My son who just turned 24 has a police record because he saved his mates life.

My son and a few mates were walking through Cronulla late at night , heading to the car when one of his mates was king hit from behind and then the guy was kicking into his head, my son jumped in and pulled the guy off him when he was then being attacked so of course my son fought back and my son had it over him.

The police arrived and arrested both my son and the instigator

My son copped a huge fine , court cost, solicitors cost and 2 year probation.

His friend was unconscious and taken to hospital, he recovered and was told if he had received just one more blow he wouldn't be alive, to everyone my son did the right thing.

This was a random attack

When asked my son said he would do it all again if he had to protect anyone .

I think the law needs to get it write. Fighting isn't good but my son couldn't stand by and do nothing.
His friend offered to pay all his cost but my son refused.

Last edited:
My son who just turned 24 has a police record because he saved his mates life.

My son and a few mates were walking through Cronulla late at night , heading to the car when one of his mates was king hit from behind and then the guy was kicking into his head, my son jumped in and pulled the guy off him when he was then being attacked so of course my son fought back and had it over the him.

The police arrived and arrested both my son and the instigator

My son copped a huge fine , court cost, solicitors cost and 2 year probation.

His friend was unconscious and taken to hospital, he recovered and was told if he had received just one more blow he wouldn't be alive, to everyone my son did the right thing.

This was a random attack

When asked my son said he would do it all again if he had to protect anyone .

I think the law needs to get it write. Fighting isn't good but my son couldn't stand by and do nothing.
His friend offered to pay all his cost but my son refused.
Your son is a wonderful friend and was treated unfairly. Hats off to him ,there should be more like him.🤗

It is my understanding that Dan Murphy's was transferred to the Endeavour group in 2019 and the Endeavour group was sold off in 2021 - so I don't think Woolworths still own them.
still should not steal. I was told by a guy at BWS that they are not allowed to risk their own safety I asked about security but he said they press the buzzer by time security get there thief has gone

View attachment 34601

Key Takeaways

I saw an elderly man walk out of the self checkout with a trolley full of groceries last week, I wondered why he was going that way but thought nothing of it until I tried using the checkout that he had obviously used and kept asking if I wanted to continue. I then realised the total had not been paid $182.77 I called the staff member over and told her we looked for him but gone, I was too slow. She knew who it was as she had already stopped him for not scanning 2 items.

Very often it is the oldies at shopping centres and Alcohol Shops who do the stealing apparently.

I think with the risk of the thief pulling a knife or a gun these days it is not worth the risk, even for a security guard, to try stopping them. Most businesses prices are set to cover the stock loss from shoplifting. I always joke at work that if a thief wants the money in my register at work I will say sure and throw it all over the floor for him/her to pick up if they want it that bad.

Very often it is the oldies at shopping centres and Alcohol Shops who do the stealing apparently.
I hope that whomever told you it is ‘apparently the oldies that do the stealing’, can back up that comment. I believe most old people, for a start, cannot afford liquor as they are struggling to live on meagre savings or the pension. Most old people I have seen are paying their bills.