Dashcam catches Dan Murphy’s liquor theft on video

Have you ever experienced entering a bottle shop's car park and coming across something unexpected?

Well, one Aussie motorist was in for quite a surprise when he pulled into the car park—and caught something on his dashcam!

A video showing an alleged thief running off with two bottles became ‘popular’ on social media, stunning Aussies everywhere.

In the clip, a man was sprinting from the Dan Murphy’s store with two bottles of Jim Beam in his hands.

According to reports, no one from inside the bottle shop was seen chasing after him, clearly leaving people who watched the clip questioning why the situation was not dealt with.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 3.04.03 PM.png
A thief caught on a dashcam outside a bottle shop stunned Australians.
Image source: Reddit

The motorist who filmed the incident said that the security guard they saw was ‘standing by the door looking dismayed’ after the alleged thief escaped.

‘As someone who worked at Dan Murphy's for years, don't bother running, we don't care enough to stop you,’ commented one Aussie.

Sadly, this isn't an isolated incident either, retail workers are often faced with such danger in their everyday working lives.

In October, a woman was caught on camera punching an IGA worker in the head in Mandurah.

The altercation began when the worker attempted to check the woman's bag while leaving the supermarket. Local authorities promptly investigated the matter.

Recent data from the Australian Retailers Association (ARA) has shown that an alarming 92 per cent of retailers say that they have either personally experienced or had a team member experience verbal or physical abuse while at work.

‘Being yelled at, spat at, punched or groped is not tolerated in any other workplace, and must not be accepted in retail,’ stressed ARA Chief Executive Paul Zahra.

Video source: Reddit

Furthermore, Zahra called on other states to take NSW, SA and NT’s approach and make laws even tougher to properly protect retail employees.

On the other hand, a representative from Dan Murphy mentioned that the incident has been reported to the police.

They said: ‘The incident has been referred to NSW Police for investigation. Our priority, as always, is the safety and well-being of both our customers and our team members.’

The incident occurred just as a new safety council is set to be established to address the growing issue of customer abuse and violence against retail employees.

This initiative comes after an agreement among key stakeholders, including the Australian Retailers Association (ARA), the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association (SDA), major retailers, and shopping centres during a recent roundtable discussion.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian motorist's dashcam captured footage of an alleged thief sprinting away from a Dan Murphy liquor store in Sydney with two bottles of Jim Beam.
  • The incident highlighted the risks retail workers face, with statistics revealing that 92 per cent of Australian retailers reported their staff members have experienced verbal or physical abuse at work.
  • A spokesperson for Dan Murphy’s confirmed the incident has been reported to the police and emphasised the priority is the safety and wellbeing of customers and team members.
Members, how would you respond if you witnessed a thief making a getaway from a store? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

Sponsored
I saw an elderly man walk out of the self checkout with a trolley full of groceries last week, I wondered why he was going that way but thought nothing of it until I tried using the checkout that he had obviously used and kept asking if I wanted to continue. I then realised the total had not been paid $182.77 I called the staff member over and told her we looked for him but gone, I was too slow. She knew who it was as she had already stopped him for not scanning 2 items.
I wonder how people with dementia or intellectual disabilities are meant to operate these checkouts.
Serves them right.

You should be ashamed of your comments. Everyone is suffering because of rising prices at the supermarkets but your comments are disgusting, to say the least. Allowing someone to get away with this will only send the price of goods upwards, not down, because honest customers have to bear the brunt of rising prices.

I wonder what your next comment will be when YOU are paying a higher price for anything you buy, especially something you really need. Probably abuse of the supplier for raising prices. Yes, prices seem to be increasing beyond what people can afford and large companies are making huge profits, but what would you do if you were in business? Would you sell for your cost price, or would you increase costs to make a profit? THINK ABOUT THAT for a moment and pull your head in. I too don’t agree with rising prices and, yes, there should be an investigation into the huge profits being made but until then, and any change to the big company’s profits, we must eat and live - there is already something being done with upcoming investigations into those two (unnamed) supermarkets; we have to wait for that outcome and hope prices can become more realistic in future.

It is an act that, hopefully, can be seen on the dashcam footage and results in the arrest of the man. You are disgusting in your comments, so get a life and pull your head in.
I hope that whomever told you it is ‘apparently the oldies that do the stealing’, can back up that comment. I believe most old people, for a start, cannot afford liquor as they are struggling to live on meagre savings or the pension. Most old people I have seen are paying their bills.
[/QUOTE
I came across this quote just this afternoon which might be something worthwhile reading via the following:

Here’s a quote I came across today, and it rings so true for so many of us.
“Never use information you are “told” or you have “heard” to condemn or attack another person. If you didn’t see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, and then you start making accusations when you weren’t there, you are being nothing less than judgemental. Making assumptions always causes drama . . . . “

My son was a manager at McDonald's when a man armed with a knife demanded money , my son refused and offered him an Apple Pie. The so called robber ended up leaving the store after smashing the door. This made my son furious and he chased after the guy and tackled him to the ground . The police arrived minutes later .

I told him he shouldn't have gave chased ,he replied if it happens again I will do it again. Thank goodness that was 16 years ago and he is now a builder.

McDonald's staff are told to give what the criminal wants and never try to detain them.

I know staff at Dan Murray's are told the same thing but what I have to ask was the security dude hired to look pretty !!!
I think you will also find that's the 'instructions' the police would also give. They'd prefer to deal with a theft rather than a knife attack.

Reactions: Littleboy8
My Granddaughter works in a clothing shop and they are told not to tackle anyone seen stealing, but my Granddaughter has a different approach. If she sees someone obviously concealing an item, say perhaps a skirt, she picks up a top from the rack and walks up to the person and says " this top would go really well with that skirt you have in you bag" 90% of the time they will put the skirt back and leave.

Reactions: Ezzy
I would say good luck mate enjoy the burbon as woolworths own dan murphys and made bilion dollars profit last year and surely can afford you few burbons
The least you can do is spell your words correctly. It's bourbon / bourbon's & billion / billions.
Also promoting theft is a bit reckless, how would you feel if someone broke into your residence and stole your property?
No matter what the theft is we all pay the price.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Omg !! Now my question is if he needed a security guard why was he even in the same room as your hubby ?
I hope the hospital apologised and I hope that either yourself or hubby wasn't injured. Gosh that would gave been a shock 😲
As a prison officer sitting on a prisoner in a hospital he was always in a private room & shackled to the bed by a leg. At night l had a light which stood on the floor. I never had a mobile phone.

If this person was able to get out of bed, possibly unseen by the security guard, l need to ask if he had his back to this person? A normal person would wonder where all the noise was coming from & look around. Doing your job properly means watching the patient, on a chair from a distance & facing him. This guard should be sacked.

A probationary officer once allowed a prisoner in hospital to grab an instrument & hold it to a nurse's throat & ultimately escape. That officer received an additional 3 months probation. (quite embarrassing for him).

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Had l been the car driver seeing this incident l believe l would have turned the vehicle around & followed the thief at a distance & call his eventual location into the Police.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Have you ever experienced entering a bottle shop's car park and coming across something unexpected?

Well, one Aussie motorist was in for quite a surprise when he pulled into the car park—and caught something on his dashcam!

A video showing an alleged thief running off with two bottles became ‘popular’ on social media, stunning Aussies everywhere.

In the clip, a man was sprinting from the Dan Murphy’s store with two bottles of Jim Beam in his hands.

According to reports, no one from inside the bottle shop was seen chasing after him, clearly leaving people who watched the clip questioning why the situation was not dealt with.

View attachment 34601

The motorist who filmed the incident said that the security guard they saw was ‘standing by the door looking dismayed’ after the alleged thief escaped.

‘As someone who worked at Dan Murphy's for years, don't bother running, we don't care enough to stop you,’ commented one Aussie.

Sadly, this isn't an isolated incident either, retail workers are often faced with such danger in their everyday working lives.

In October, a woman was caught on camera punching an IGA worker in the head in Mandurah.

The altercation began when the worker attempted to check the woman's bag while leaving the supermarket. Local authorities promptly investigated the matter.

Recent data from the Australian Retailers Association (ARA) has shown that an alarming 92 per cent of retailers say that they have either personally experienced or had a team member experience verbal or physical abuse while at work.

‘Being yelled at, spat at, punched or groped is not tolerated in any other workplace, and must not be accepted in retail,’ stressed ARA Chief Executive Paul Zahra.

Furthermore, Zahra called on other states to take NSW, SA and NT’s approach and make laws even tougher to properly protect retail employees.

On the other hand, a representative from Dan Murphy mentioned that the incident has been reported to the police.

They said: ‘The incident has been referred to NSW Police for investigation. Our priority, as always, is the safety and well-being of both our customers and our team members.’

The incident occurred just as a new safety council is set to be established to address the growing issue of customer abuse and violence against retail employees.

This initiative comes after an agreement among key stakeholders, including the Australian Retailers Association (ARA), the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association (SDA), major retailers, and shopping centres during a recent roundtable discussion.
Key Takeaways

• An Australian motorist's dashcam captured footage of an alleged thief sprinting away from a Dan Murphy liquor store in Sydney with two bottles of Jim Beam.
  • The incident highlighted the risks retail workers face, with statistics revealing that 92 per cent of Australian retailers reported their staff members have experienced verbal or physical abuse at work.
  • A spokesperson for Dan Murphy’s confirmed the incident has been reported to the police and emphasised the priority is the safety and wellbeing of customers and team members.
Members, how would you respond if you witnessed a thief making a getaway from a store? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!

I would have run the bastard down with my big bullbar.

‘Being yelled at, spat at, punched or groped is not tolerated in any other workplace, and must not be accepted in retail,’ stressed ARA Chief Executive Paul ZahZahra
I beg to differ. Try being a teacher for a day, where behaviour like this happens on a daily basis and no one is allowed to do a thing about it.

My brother-in-law is a well respected teacher and ex-Principal. He is 'over retirement age now' but does relief teaching in one of his earlier schools (primary) as he loves the interaction with children. He is usually put on the troublesome classes as no other teacher wants to deal with the little 'monsters' in those classes (usually the early primary classes). I cannot comment how he deals with these children other than asking them if they want 'time out' but I know he is of the opinion that he gets them because he somehow manages to control them, at least to a point.

There must be something that happens at home for them to be so aggressive and rebellious, but I think early, very early, intervention at home is the key and they must be brought up to respect others in everything they do. None of this 'I cannot correct my child because he/she is just being a kid' nonsense (and one that has tantrums getting his/her own way all the time).

So many assaults and robberies are more a 'dare' than anything else, I believe.

They apologized, but I had to jump up and down to have my husband moved .It was about space, but I couldn't go and leave him in that situation. Problem was, the next poor patient would not be aware, the security guard should have been removed.
The bad guy should have been in a ward by himself with the guard standing outside the door 😡 or do I watch too many American cop shows.🤔

Last edited:

View attachment 34601

Key Takeaways

I've literally watched them do it and walk out. They're professional and have no shame. Since we work alone in our shop we can not chase them and are told mot to anyway because many are violent if accosted.

View attachment 34601

Key Takeaways

No don't chase after them your safety and well-being is far more important than a couple of bottles of bourbon

I would hate to own a business these days with the entitled thinking it is OK to steal! It is a shame that security guard with proper training & control can't restrain these mugs with pepper spray and cuffs until the police arrive!

My brother-in-law is a well respected teacher and ex-Principal. He is 'over retirement age now' but does relief teaching in one of his earlier schools (primary) as he loves the interaction with children. He is usually put on the troublesome classes as no other teacher wants to deal with the little 'monsters' in those classes (usually the early primary classes). I cannot comment how he deals with these children other than asking them if they want 'time out' but I know he is of the opinion that he gets them because he somehow manages to control them, at least to a point.

There must be something that happens at home for them to be so aggressive and rebellious, but I think early, very early, intervention at home is the key and they must be brought up to respect others in everything they do. None of this 'I cannot correct my child because he/she is just being a kid' nonsense (and one that has tantrums getting his/her own way all the time).

So many assaults and robberies are more a 'dare' than anything else, I believe.
From what l saw of the 'Supervision' (for want of a better name) that my neighbour's son got growing up, it would appear some fathers want to be a big mate to their children rather than a parent. Whenever his son did anything disrespectful it was always, 'Oh. He's just a kid'. Even as a teen when him & his mate made a game out of crashing through their hedge into my garden, the comment was the same.

That’s exactly the upbringing (if you can call it that) is what should be corrected at home before some of these unruly and disrespectful young ones need. Parents need the same correction as their kids - none of the ‘he’s only being a kid’ nonsense.