Customers fuming after ALDI's 'overnight' price surge: ‘It's getting ridiculous!’

For years, thrifty Australian shoppers have lauded the affordability of ALDI's products.

But recently, a group of shoppers have turned on the cult supermarket chain after a series of price hikes they say are 'ridiculous'.

ALDI, which consistently ranks as Australia's cheapest major supermarket, attracted criticism this week when a popular product was hit with a big price increase, seemingly 'overnight'.

Apparently, the cost of the store's skinless salmon fillets surged by $4, leaving customers frustrated and disappointed.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 1.43.24 PM.png
A group of ALDI shoppers have turned on the cult supermarket chain after a series of 'ridiculous' price hikes. Credit: Facebook.

'So explain to me, ALDI Australia, how do you justify a 28.5 per cent overnight increase on fresh salmon?' one person fumed on the ALDI Australia Facebook page.

'This is outrageous. Last week, it was $13.99 for four pieces, this week $17.99. Guess where it stayed? On your shelf, NOT in my trolley.'

And unfortunately for ALDI, their customers weren't willing to overlook such a drastic price increase. The post quickly lit up with comments from fellow disgruntled shoppers, many threatening to go elsewhere.

'Everything is so expensive at ALDI now that you might as well shop at Coles and Woolies,' one person pointed out, while another suggested making the leap to more budget-friendly venues. 'Off to the markets we go. It's getting ridiculous!' they vented.

The reviews didn't stop there. Shoppers also noted similar price jumps for pantry staples such as frozen lasagne, cheese, whisky, cooking bacon, and even cans of baked beans.

'Well, why did a can of baked beans price rise by nearly 50% and the same with small tins of tuna? Ripping us off—not happy with the excessive price rises! I think it may be time to shop elsewhere,' wrote another shopper.

This comes just a month after ALDI achieved the remarkable feat of being named Australia's favourite supermarket for the sixth consecutive year in Canstar's highly regarded Supermarket Satisfaction Awards.

In this competition, the retailer demonstrated its dominance in price-based categories, including 'value for money' and 'deals/specials available', outperforming competitors such as Coles, Woolworths, and IGA.

But with the recent customer reviews and backlash, is ALDI still the most budget-friendly supermarket around?

ALDI insists that their commitment to 'cutting out unnecessary costs' still stands and that they champion passing savings on to their customers. However, their recent price hikes reveal that taking advantage of ALDI's products may not be as cost-effective as we had once thought.

An ALDI spokesperson told a news source that these price jumps can be attributed to the current market conditions, which have driven higher producer input costs. This, in turn, has driven up prices for consumers.

They stated they remain committed to keeping prices low and continue monitoring meat and seafood pricing.

'We remain absolutely committed to delivering the best value for our customers,' they said.

Key Takeaways

• ALDI customers have criticised the supermarket following a significant increase in the price of certain products.
  • A complaint about the skinless Tasmanian salmon fillets was raised, which experienced a $4 increase.
  • Customers have noticed price hikes across a range of everyday products and expressed dissatisfaction on social media, with some threatening to switch to other supermarkets.
  • In response, an ALDI spokesperson said they keep their prices as low as possible and that the current pricing is due to market conditions that have led to higher producer input costs.

We understand how important it is to save money on essential items at this time, and by extension, budget-minded shoppers will often flock to a retailer like ALDI with the idea that they will get the best deals.

But if even ALDI is crumbling under the same market forces, making nearly everything else expensive, it might be wise for you to consider shopping away from the big supermarkets and into more affordable alternatives like local grocers. Make sure to do your due diligence first and compare prices; you could save more next door!

What are your thoughts? Have you noticed these price hikes in your local branch, too? Happy shopping, members!

Sponsored
Why do some biscuits contain odd numbers. Chocolate biscuits for a start ( 9 )Then fruit nut bars ( 5 ) ??? Must cause a few arguments with children.

I know shopping for one is different to family shopping but I have an exercise book where I keep the price of anything I buy from Aldi, my cleaning Lady also does my shopping, when she returns I check the docket against my exercise book to see if there has been any increase in prices, up to now I find there have been no price increases in the last 4 months on my regular purchases, as to the fish prices If the fishermen have poor catches in bad weather the prices go up at the Auctions and are passed on by the purchasers.
I do that on my computer going back 3 years.

For years, thrifty Australian shoppers have lauded the affordability of ALDI's products.

But recently, a group of shoppers have turned on the cult supermarket chain after a series of price hikes they say are 'ridiculous'.

ALDI, which consistently ranks as Australia's cheapest major supermarket, attracted criticism this week when a popular product was hit with a big price increase, seemingly 'overnight'.

Apparently, the cost of the store's skinless salmon fillets surged by $4, leaving customers frustrated and disappointed.

View attachment 29714
A group of ALDI shoppers have turned on the cult supermarket chain after a series of 'ridiculous' price hikes. Credit: Facebook.

'So explain to me, ALDI Australia, how do you justify a 28.5 per cent overnight increase on fresh salmon?' one person fumed on the ALDI Australia Facebook page.

'This is outrageous. Last week, it was $13.99 for four pieces, this week $17.99. Guess where it stayed? On your shelf, NOT in my trolley.'

And unfortunately for ALDI, their customers weren't willing to overlook such a drastic price increase. The post quickly lit up with comments from fellow disgruntled shoppers, many threatening to go elsewhere.

'Everything is so expensive at ALDI now that you might as well shop at Coles and Woolies,' one person pointed out, while another suggested making the leap to more budget-friendly venues. 'Off to the markets we go. It's getting ridiculous!' they vented.

The reviews didn't stop there. Shoppers also noted similar price jumps for pantry staples such as frozen lasagne, cheese, whisky, cooking bacon, and even cans of baked beans.

'Well, why did a can of baked beans price rise by nearly 50% and the same with small tins of tuna? Ripping us off—not happy with the excessive price rises! I think it may be time to shop elsewhere,' wrote another shopper.

This comes just a month after ALDI achieved the remarkable feat of being named Australia's favourite supermarket for the sixth consecutive year in Canstar's highly regarded Supermarket Satisfaction Awards.

In this competition, the retailer demonstrated its dominance in price-based categories, including 'value for money' and 'deals/specials available', outperforming competitors such as Coles, Woolworths, and IGA.

But with the recent customer reviews and backlash, is ALDI still the most budget-friendly supermarket around?

ALDI insists that their commitment to 'cutting out unnecessary costs' still stands and that they champion passing savings on to their customers. However, their recent price hikes reveal that taking advantage of ALDI's products may not be as cost-effective as we had once thought.

An ALDI spokesperson told a news source that these price jumps can be attributed to the current market conditions, which have driven higher producer input costs. This, in turn, has driven up prices for consumers.

They stated they remain committed to keeping prices low and continue monitoring meat and seafood pricing.

'We remain absolutely committed to delivering the best value for our customers,' they said.

Key Takeaways

• ALDI customers have criticised the supermarket following a significant increase in the price of certain products.
  • A complaint about the skinless Tasmanian salmon fillets was raised, which experienced a $4 increase.
  • Customers have noticed price hikes across a range of everyday products and expressed dissatisfaction on social media, with some threatening to switch to other supermarkets.
  • In response, an ALDI spokesperson said they keep their prices as low as possible and that the current pricing is due to market conditions that have led to higher producer input costs.

We understand how important it is to save money on essential items at this time, and by extension, budget-minded shoppers will often flock to a retailer like ALDI with the idea that they will get the best deals.

But if even ALDI is crumbling under the same market forces, making nearly everything else expensive, it might be wise for you to consider shopping away from the big supermarkets and into more affordable alternatives like local grocers. Make sure to do your due diligence first and compare prices; you could save more next door!

What are your thoughts? Have you noticed these price hikes in your local branch, too? Happy shopping, members!
Not TOO committed I'd say 🙉 😪

Fresh packaged salmon has increased in price very quickly in Woolworths, Coles & ALDI by roughly $4.00 in each supermarket. Also the price of smoked salmon had increased in price in a week or two. Price rises are everywhere. My husband now buys fish from the fish counter where he can compare prices.

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

Yep today went to Aldi looked at the salmon price was up as shown in this article and that's where it stayed on their shelf will look at alternatives elsewhere not any other supermarket market or something similar 🤬

Just one question on this subject of price in supermarkets - has anyone noticed the rise in wages?? That’s one reason we are paying more for just about everything. In general - we can’t have it both ways!!!

Reactions: Trudi

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

Complaining about a FOUR DOLLAR rise! What about the 100% rise over weeks as the "inflation" bug hit? I used to buy fresh salmon regularly at $27 to $29 per kilo. And then all of a sudden the price went to $45 $50 per kilo. So I stopped buying fresh salmon. Packaged salmon rose by similar amounts ... ironically, trout rose in price only slightly. I started buying frozen fish fillets, which are imported from NZ and not subject to the Australian corporations, "Oh LOOK! Inflation is on the TV, let's raise our prices and see how much these mugs will bear."

When it comes down to it, your dollar is a vote for corporate policy. I decided that I would not pay $50 for a slab of beer and so I DON'T. I was buying imported Hollandia and Becks for $39 and $41 a slab, but Woolies owned BWS decided to up the price by a quarter to $51 and $52 a slab. When I want a beer now, I go to a pub or club. Sure I pay much more on a "per litre basis" but I am also paying to employ bar staff ... VERY pleasant bar staff ... and keep an employing venue open. Fuel ... I use E10 in my vehicles ... was raised from $1.78 - $1.82 a litre to $$2.35 - $2.40 a litre. I decided to park up my utility vehicle. I was NOT going to "buy into" the fuel retailer bullshit. I found out that I didn't have to park up the ute. Cosgo, the US wholesale retailer was selling for $1.87 per litre. Sure, I had to buy a $65 membership, but I still calculated that I would save around $700 a year in fuel.

VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLAR! We seniors are in prime position to effect prices. If I want to park up my vehicle, I can. It would help if the generations that refer to us as "boomers" and blame us for the things that have been brought on by their lack of "organisation" and protest did their bit too, but they are they and we are we. I ALWAYS buy from the cheapest discount fuel outlet that I can. If I have to use $5 in fuel to save $3 on a tank refill, then I will. I am not aiming to save on the short term, but influence prices in the long term. I DO MY BIT TO CONTROL INFLATION, and so should everybody else.

Anyway, good luck to you all, AND STICK IT TO THE MAN! If the millenials, Gen Xs, Ys and whatever were around in the 60s and 70s we would still be being torn out of our productive economy to fight in Vietnam!

Do people who go the round of stores for specials add the price of the petrol they use in doing so?
Try to see the big picture ... the object is not to save money in the short term, it is to influence prices and inflation in the long term. I will spend $5 to save $4 on a tank refill because increasing the discount retail outlet's turnover encourages price discounting. If every Australian ... and seniors are in a perfect position to do this ... voted with their dollar, we would be paying around $1.50 a litre, not $2.30 a litre.

But PLEASE, don't let me disturb the average Australian's personal policy of apathy spiced with occasional bitching.

Reactions: IAN3005
Try to see the big picture ... the object is not to save money in the short term, it is to influence prices and inflation in the long term. I will spend $5 to save $4 on a tank refill because increasing the discount retail outlet's turnover encourages price discounting. If every Australian ... and seniors are in a perfect position to do this ... voted with their dollar, we would be paying around $1.50 a litre, not $2.30 a litre.

But PLEASE, don't let me disturb the average Australian's personal policy of apathy spiced with occasional bitching.
Well said..... I just keep crossing things off my list as the price rises... next thing I'll be surviving on fresh air and water..... as it is I am limited to one meal a day

We always shop at Aldi first then specials at other shops after that. I must admit a lot of items have gone up excessively in price but then so has everywhere else. So it is much of a muchness.
My main irk is the pet food. Once it was a go to place for tins of pet food but now it is the same as everywhere else..so expensive. Unfortunately it’s the only tinned food that our cat will eat so have to get it. 😊

Reactions: IAN3005
We always shop at Aldi first then specials at other shops after that. I must admit a lot of items have gone up excessively in price but then so has everywhere else. So it is much of a muchness.
My main irk is the pet food. Once it was a go to place for tins of pet food but now it is the same as everywhere else..so expensive. Unfortunately it’s the only tinned food that our cat will eat so have to get it. 😊
I'd get rid of the cat.... I couldn't afford to keep an animal on the pension.... cost more to feed it than to feed myself

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

Loyalty???? what's that..... went out the window... price and quality are my loyalty.

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

like all stores they are not a benevolent society. be thankful we did not have to suffer like the war 2 people. they just couldn't get their produce. there is always someone else think of than ourselves.

The dogs I cook for, keep cans just in case I'm not going to be home and they are fed by my son. The cats will only eat one particular food, but it's not just pet food , it's most things at aldi now, I check the specials at the other major stores before I go there.
and your talking dogs and cats. no humans??

I drive 2 hours to shop at Aldi in Dalby. Compared to our local Woolworths and Drakes store driving 1 hour each way I still save more than enough to save the cost of fuel. I also take advantage to shop at Bunnings and the bigger discount shops for other needs. Aldi price rises are still less than Woolworths and Drakes where many prices have doubled. If something gets to expensive I stop buying it. Chinchilla is a mining town and most shops are charging as much as double as shops in Dalby because there are many high paid workers here and all the business cash in this forgetting that there are lots of aged people here. A couple of local business has been taken over by new owners and many take away food prices increased drastically. Eg Bacon and cheese potato scallop $6.50 each, Small dim sim $2.95, Burgers $13.00 and up. It costs me $16 for fuel to drive to Dalby and back so if I want a treat I get it in Dalby. After shopping and fuel I still save money. So spare a thought for country folk when you complain about your fish going up $2.00, ours went up $5.00 along with many other items. I have noticed that Woolworths and Drakes specials are still as much as double Aldi's regular prices so to all of you complaining about Aldi go see if you can find cheaper because I can't and judging by the number of our locals who drive to Dalby to shop at Aldi, I'm guessing they can't either. Also supporting your local flea markets can save you some money. There is only one way to stop increasing prices and that is DON'T BUY THE PRODUCT. It will cost manufacturers and retail stores a fortune throwing it all out and that's not the customers problem. Dispite all the rising prices it appears everyone can still afford to go to Macca's, KFC and Red Rooster, Chinese etc for their take away and their prices have risen as much as 40% as well. Again, the way to complain is DON'T PAY the price. You can buy the same frozen items in Aldi and have home cooked take away for cheaper than I can buy a burger here. So if you want to save money DON"T SPEND IT. Even if you can afford it say no to high prices and buy something different and cheaper for a change. We all here about CEO's getting million dollar bonus's, Woolworths and Coles, and other big stores reported record profits. Remember these profits are after new shops are built, elect paid, rates paid, massive bonus's paid out, scabby wages, company cars paid for, registered and insurance for, compensation for theft and everything else is paid before the profits. QGC in Chinchilla alone has around 40 cars for staff to drive around in and their own service depot that WE THE CONSUMER pays for. Remember that next time you get a delivery because you don't feel like getting in the car to go and get it. We hear quite often how there is no money in fuel but look at number of new servo's popping up like mushrooms. Deception bay in Queensland has around 15 fuel stops in about 2 km. There are at least 6 new servo's in Chinchilla and Dalby alone. BP, Ampol, Liberty x 3, Ampol. Everyone is after your money and these business are no better than the scammers we hear about every day. The only difference with most business we do get a very small something for our money but not much. Most people don't even know we pay $1.20 per day just for the privilidge of having the power connected. Then we pay for what we use. That's more than some people pay for the quaterly bill, well before the recent price hike at least. So Aldi complainers, spare a though for the people who are a lot worse off because your bitching is all about you and nobody else. You don't have to drive nearly 200 km to the nearest Aldi and Hardware store to save money. Go and buy at Coles and Wollies and see how much more you pay because my bill at Aldi is under $200. Coles and wollies for the same items in a different packet is over $350. Our local Mitre 10 recently closed down. Why because Mitre 10 was a mighty ripoff and they lost local support. One good example, a coat hook in Chinchilla Mitre 10 was $13.95, Dalby Mitre 10, $5.95. Don't buy overinflated priced items. It takes a few minutes to compare prices on line and to your supprise thing will lots cheaper including delivery rather than buy at your local ripoff store.

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

We buy very little at Aldi now. We went into an Aldi today, boy have prices risen. Cheaper to shop Coles or Woolworths. Biscuits I used to love buying at $1.79 were now nearly $3!!! I left them there . Heaps of other things I can buy cheaper at the other supermarkets you have to check on specials nowadays very disappointed in Aldi price rise.