Customers fuming after ALDI's 'overnight' price surge: ‘It's getting ridiculous!’

For years, thrifty Australian shoppers have lauded the affordability of ALDI's products.

But recently, a group of shoppers have turned on the cult supermarket chain after a series of price hikes they say are 'ridiculous'.

ALDI, which consistently ranks as Australia's cheapest major supermarket, attracted criticism this week when a popular product was hit with a big price increase, seemingly 'overnight'.

Apparently, the cost of the store's skinless salmon fillets surged by $4, leaving customers frustrated and disappointed.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 1.43.24 PM.png
A group of ALDI shoppers have turned on the cult supermarket chain after a series of 'ridiculous' price hikes. Credit: Facebook.

'So explain to me, ALDI Australia, how do you justify a 28.5 per cent overnight increase on fresh salmon?' one person fumed on the ALDI Australia Facebook page.

'This is outrageous. Last week, it was $13.99 for four pieces, this week $17.99. Guess where it stayed? On your shelf, NOT in my trolley.'

And unfortunately for ALDI, their customers weren't willing to overlook such a drastic price increase. The post quickly lit up with comments from fellow disgruntled shoppers, many threatening to go elsewhere.

'Everything is so expensive at ALDI now that you might as well shop at Coles and Woolies,' one person pointed out, while another suggested making the leap to more budget-friendly venues. 'Off to the markets we go. It's getting ridiculous!' they vented.

The reviews didn't stop there. Shoppers also noted similar price jumps for pantry staples such as frozen lasagne, cheese, whisky, cooking bacon, and even cans of baked beans.

'Well, why did a can of baked beans price rise by nearly 50% and the same with small tins of tuna? Ripping us off—not happy with the excessive price rises! I think it may be time to shop elsewhere,' wrote another shopper.

This comes just a month after ALDI achieved the remarkable feat of being named Australia's favourite supermarket for the sixth consecutive year in Canstar's highly regarded Supermarket Satisfaction Awards.

In this competition, the retailer demonstrated its dominance in price-based categories, including 'value for money' and 'deals/specials available', outperforming competitors such as Coles, Woolworths, and IGA.

But with the recent customer reviews and backlash, is ALDI still the most budget-friendly supermarket around?

ALDI insists that their commitment to 'cutting out unnecessary costs' still stands and that they champion passing savings on to their customers. However, their recent price hikes reveal that taking advantage of ALDI's products may not be as cost-effective as we had once thought.

An ALDI spokesperson told a news source that these price jumps can be attributed to the current market conditions, which have driven higher producer input costs. This, in turn, has driven up prices for consumers.

They stated they remain committed to keeping prices low and continue monitoring meat and seafood pricing.

'We remain absolutely committed to delivering the best value for our customers,' they said.

Key Takeaways

• ALDI customers have criticised the supermarket following a significant increase in the price of certain products.
  • A complaint about the skinless Tasmanian salmon fillets was raised, which experienced a $4 increase.
  • Customers have noticed price hikes across a range of everyday products and expressed dissatisfaction on social media, with some threatening to switch to other supermarkets.
  • In response, an ALDI spokesperson said they keep their prices as low as possible and that the current pricing is due to market conditions that have led to higher producer input costs.

We understand how important it is to save money on essential items at this time, and by extension, budget-minded shoppers will often flock to a retailer like ALDI with the idea that they will get the best deals.

But if even ALDI is crumbling under the same market forces, making nearly everything else expensive, it might be wise for you to consider shopping away from the big supermarkets and into more affordable alternatives like local grocers. Make sure to do your due diligence first and compare prices; you could save more next door!

What are your thoughts? Have you noticed these price hikes in your local branch, too? Happy shopping, members!

Sponsored
How does that count for the sharp rise in aldi dog and cat food, and other staples that are notfresh food?
It's not just the product in the can dictating price. Manufacturing costs of all metal products have risen because of outrageous increases in the price of electricity. Likewise the production of the labels. Any manufacturer who uses electricity - and that would be most of them - has to factor in the cost associated with these price rises.

The other thing that has influenced the price rise of almost everything, is the cost of freight. With fuel prices having risen so much and so rapidly, consumers are always going to be the most affected. It's just basic business.

Reactions: Mrs Robyn
For years, thrifty Australian shoppers have lauded the affordability of ALDI's products.

But recently, a group of shoppers have turned on the cult supermarket chain after a series of price hikes they say are 'ridiculous'.

ALDI, which consistently ranks as Australia's cheapest major supermarket, attracted criticism this week when a popular product was hit with a big price increase, seemingly 'overnight'.

Apparently, the cost of the store's skinless salmon fillets surged by $4, leaving customers frustrated and disappointed.

View attachment 29714
A group of ALDI shoppers have turned on the cult supermarket chain after a series of 'ridiculous' price hikes. Credit: Facebook.

'So explain to me, ALDI Australia, how do you justify a 28.5 per cent overnight increase on fresh salmon?' one person fumed on the ALDI Australia Facebook page.

'This is outrageous. Last week, it was $13.99 for four pieces, this week $17.99. Guess where it stayed? On your shelf, NOT in my trolley.'

And unfortunately for ALDI, their customers weren't willing to overlook such a drastic price increase. The post quickly lit up with comments from fellow disgruntled shoppers, many threatening to go elsewhere.

'Everything is so expensive at ALDI now that you might as well shop at Coles and Woolies,' one person pointed out, while another suggested making the leap to more budget-friendly venues. 'Off to the markets we go. It's getting ridiculous!' they vented.

The reviews didn't stop there. Shoppers also noted similar price jumps for pantry staples such as frozen lasagne, cheese, whisky, cooking bacon, and even cans of baked beans.

'Well, why did a can of baked beans price rise by nearly 50% and the same with small tins of tuna? Ripping us off—not happy with the excessive price rises! I think it may be time to shop elsewhere,' wrote another shopper.

This comes just a month after ALDI achieved the remarkable feat of being named Australia's favourite supermarket for the sixth consecutive year in Canstar's highly regarded Supermarket Satisfaction Awards.

In this competition, the retailer demonstrated its dominance in price-based categories, including 'value for money' and 'deals/specials available', outperforming competitors such as Coles, Woolworths, and IGA.

But with the recent customer reviews and backlash, is ALDI still the most budget-friendly supermarket around?

ALDI insists that their commitment to 'cutting out unnecessary costs' still stands and that they champion passing savings on to their customers. However, their recent price hikes reveal that taking advantage of ALDI's products may not be as cost-effective as we had once thought.

An ALDI spokesperson told a news source that these price jumps can be attributed to the current market conditions, which have driven higher producer input costs. This, in turn, has driven up prices for consumers.

They stated they remain committed to keeping prices low and continue monitoring meat and seafood pricing.

'We remain absolutely committed to delivering the best value for our customers,' they said.

Key Takeaways

• ALDI customers have criticised the supermarket following a significant increase in the price of certain products.
  • A complaint about the skinless Tasmanian salmon fillets was raised, which experienced a $4 increase.
  • Customers have noticed price hikes across a range of everyday products and expressed dissatisfaction on social media, with some threatening to switch to other supermarkets.
  • In response, an ALDI spokesperson said they keep their prices as low as possible and that the current pricing is due to market conditions that have led to higher producer input costs.

We understand how important it is to save money on essential items at this time, and by extension, budget-minded shoppers will often flock to a retailer like ALDI with the idea that they will get the best deals.

But if even ALDI is crumbling under the same market forces, making nearly everything else expensive, it might be wise for you to consider shopping away from the big supermarkets and into more affordable alternatives like local grocers. Make sure to do your due diligence first and compare prices; you could save more next door!

What are your thoughts? Have you noticed these price hikes in your local branch, too? Happy shopping, members!
Well, Aldis is still cheaper than the others. I bough a jar of Cottees marmalade at Coles and it is about a third of a size smaller than they used to be. Huge reduction in size of the jars. They are on special at the moment - I guess to lure customers to continue buying but how much long this will last is anybody's guess.

I have hardly shopped in Aldi as I noticed their prices rising for quite some time on some products which are the same as Coles. Staff are more polite now than they were during the pandemic but I am always cautious when I am at the checkout. I agree with others that Aldi aren't the shop they used to be and it always pays to watch the price on items.

• Haha
Reactions: siameezer
Where do you even start to try to explain to people who have no idea how big businesses work? 🤔

Whether people like the idea or not, they've all got to make a profit to survive. And that goes for smaller businesses as well. And it obviously doesn't seem like it, but they try to keep their prices low, but have masses of overheads involved.

Maybe some people should start their own business and see how they get on? They'll find it harder then they think.

Reactions: Abby2

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

Yes I agree. Aldi is not the cheaper option in a lot of cases now. I spread my shopping list between supermarkets and also go to fresh food markets where the quality is wonderful and prices are generally below supermarket. All it takes is a little effort in organisation and price comparing. People say they don’t have time but has life really gotten so busy that there is no time to do a decent grocery shop across 2 or 3 venues. I think maybe some people confuse convenience with time
Management.

• Haha
To be fair we have gotten used to fresh produce pricing being low for a long time.

Having worked on a farm for over a decade I can attest that production costs have been going up and it is no longer possible for what used to be regular pricing and “specials” to continue.

For example, every household, farm, and retail worker included, in Australia needs to have an income of $1200 or more clear per week to break even.

Over the past decade especially more recently there have been significant increases in costs, however, to my mind the biggest factor in the cost of food is not the production and not necessarily retailer margins or profits it’s the cost of packaging and transport.

A wax box costs about $3.50, styrene is a tad cheaper but not environmentally friendly, hire of pallets, plastic packing crates, and transportation adds up to and on occasion more than 25% of the price and the providers take no risk.

I can’t talk for salmon, and I may be pragmatic but ultimately when it comes to fresh produce it is what it is. The days of the $2.00 iceberg lettuce will become rarer and rarer.

At last, someone who talks sense.
City people seem to have no idea regarding the fluctuations in prices of fresh food such as fish and meat.
Fuel is a very large cost for fisherman, has anyone noticed how much it has gone up. You can't expect prices to stay the same.
Some years they have good catches, some bad.
Same with meat prices and farmers Cattle, sheep etc. all have to be transported from the farm to market, then to the slaughter yards, then after packaging to the stores with each individual person passing on their price rises.
And yet people expect the stores to keep their prices the same.
What a stupid statement "the price went up overnight'" is. Whatever day it went up it's still going to be overnight.
Coles and Woolies have been price gouging for months.
Aldi is still, by far, the cheapest.
I tried a fish van just recently, $84 kg for flake. I think I'll stick with Aldi.
Agree wholeheartedly! Aldi is definitely still cheaper overall! Can’t expect them to absorb all increases in produce without charging more!

I can think of many items that are a lot cheaper at Aldi, so I don't care if some items are only one cent cheaper.
I still find my overall shop is considerably cheaper.
If you don't like it just shop elsewhere - SIMPLE.
Some people are unable to even comprehend ‘simple’ and will continue to winge!!!

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

If you feel that ant product is to expensive then leave it on the shelf or in the freezer, doesn't require a great amount of thought really.

Yes I agree. Aldi is not the cheaper option in a lot of cases now. I spread my shopping list between supermarkets and also go to fresh food markets where the quality is wonderful and prices are generally below supermarket. All it takes is a little effort in organisation and price comparing. People say they don’t have time but has life really gotten so busy that there is no time to do a decent grocery shop across 2 or 3 venues. I think maybe some people confuse convenience with time
Management.
Maybe people don't stop to think that not everyone can shop over 2 - 3 venues! People who don't drive and/or have mobility issues do not have that luxury.

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

Yes I have in port Macquarie nearly the same prices as Woolworths now

Prices are going up everywhere, not just Aldi. They still have to cover all their costs and make a profit. They are still cheaper overall.

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

Every item at Aldi has had a price rise & some up to a dollar.I hesitate to go there now & find overall Coles is more value . It's just greed & they will loose many regular customers in the long run

Every item at Aldi has had a price rise & some up to a dollar.I hesitate to go there now & find overall Coles is more value . It's just greed & they will loose many regular customers in the long run
You are wrong!!! Not every item has gone up at all! Still cheaper than Coles or Woolies!

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

They have also reduced the size of products like Topz biscuits and increased the price. It seems they are copying the other major supermarkets in making unjust huge profits from their customers. GREED IS NOT GOOD.

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

Retailer should be fined for such profiteering actions but our government does not care. We already have a technology to monitor prices across multiple supermarket chains and advise customers what is the best value for money. If only we have a watchdog agency that would be in charge of whole retail sector.

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

Yes, Not a lot but se really. First thing we noticed was as soon as we walked into our Store was.......$4.49 Bananas.

Reactions: IAN3005