Customers fuming after ALDI's 'overnight' price surge: ‘It's getting ridiculous!’

For years, thrifty Australian shoppers have lauded the affordability of ALDI's products.

But recently, a group of shoppers have turned on the cult supermarket chain after a series of price hikes they say are 'ridiculous'.

ALDI, which consistently ranks as Australia's cheapest major supermarket, attracted criticism this week when a popular product was hit with a big price increase, seemingly 'overnight'.

Apparently, the cost of the store's skinless salmon fillets surged by $4, leaving customers frustrated and disappointed.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 1.43.24 PM.png
A group of ALDI shoppers have turned on the cult supermarket chain after a series of 'ridiculous' price hikes. Credit: Facebook.

'So explain to me, ALDI Australia, how do you justify a 28.5 per cent overnight increase on fresh salmon?' one person fumed on the ALDI Australia Facebook page.

'This is outrageous. Last week, it was $13.99 for four pieces, this week $17.99. Guess where it stayed? On your shelf, NOT in my trolley.'

And unfortunately for ALDI, their customers weren't willing to overlook such a drastic price increase. The post quickly lit up with comments from fellow disgruntled shoppers, many threatening to go elsewhere.

'Everything is so expensive at ALDI now that you might as well shop at Coles and Woolies,' one person pointed out, while another suggested making the leap to more budget-friendly venues. 'Off to the markets we go. It's getting ridiculous!' they vented.

The reviews didn't stop there. Shoppers also noted similar price jumps for pantry staples such as frozen lasagne, cheese, whisky, cooking bacon, and even cans of baked beans.

'Well, why did a can of baked beans price rise by nearly 50% and the same with small tins of tuna? Ripping us off—not happy with the excessive price rises! I think it may be time to shop elsewhere,' wrote another shopper.

This comes just a month after ALDI achieved the remarkable feat of being named Australia's favourite supermarket for the sixth consecutive year in Canstar's highly regarded Supermarket Satisfaction Awards.

In this competition, the retailer demonstrated its dominance in price-based categories, including 'value for money' and 'deals/specials available', outperforming competitors such as Coles, Woolworths, and IGA.

But with the recent customer reviews and backlash, is ALDI still the most budget-friendly supermarket around?

ALDI insists that their commitment to 'cutting out unnecessary costs' still stands and that they champion passing savings on to their customers. However, their recent price hikes reveal that taking advantage of ALDI's products may not be as cost-effective as we had once thought.

An ALDI spokesperson told a news source that these price jumps can be attributed to the current market conditions, which have driven higher producer input costs. This, in turn, has driven up prices for consumers.

They stated they remain committed to keeping prices low and continue monitoring meat and seafood pricing.

'We remain absolutely committed to delivering the best value for our customers,' they said.

Key Takeaways

• ALDI customers have criticised the supermarket following a significant increase in the price of certain products.
  • A complaint about the skinless Tasmanian salmon fillets was raised, which experienced a $4 increase.
  • Customers have noticed price hikes across a range of everyday products and expressed dissatisfaction on social media, with some threatening to switch to other supermarkets.
  • In response, an ALDI spokesperson said they keep their prices as low as possible and that the current pricing is due to market conditions that have led to higher producer input costs.

We understand how important it is to save money on essential items at this time, and by extension, budget-minded shoppers will often flock to a retailer like ALDI with the idea that they will get the best deals.

But if even ALDI is crumbling under the same market forces, making nearly everything else expensive, it might be wise for you to consider shopping away from the big supermarkets and into more affordable alternatives like local grocers. Make sure to do your due diligence first and compare prices; you could save more next door!

What are your thoughts? Have you noticed these price hikes in your local branch, too? Happy shopping, members!

Sponsored
For years, thrifty Australian shoppers have lauded the affordability of ALDI's products.

But recently, a group of shoppers have turned on the cult supermarket chain after a series of price hikes they say are 'ridiculous'.

ALDI, which consistently ranks as Australia's cheapest major supermarket, attracted criticism this week when a popular product was hit with a big price increase, seemingly 'overnight'.

Apparently, the cost of the store's skinless salmon fillets surged by $4, leaving customers frustrated and disappointed.

View attachment 29714
A group of ALDI shoppers have turned on the cult supermarket chain after a series of 'ridiculous' price hikes. Credit: Facebook.

'So explain to me, ALDI Australia, how do you justify a 28.5 per cent overnight increase on fresh salmon?' one person fumed on the ALDI Australia Facebook page.

'This is outrageous. Last week, it was $13.99 for four pieces, this week $17.99. Guess where it stayed? On your shelf, NOT in my trolley.'

And unfortunately for ALDI, their customers weren't willing to overlook such a drastic price increase. The post quickly lit up with comments from fellow disgruntled shoppers, many threatening to go elsewhere.

'Everything is so expensive at ALDI now that you might as well shop at Coles and Woolies,' one person pointed out, while another suggested making the leap to more budget-friendly venues. 'Off to the markets we go. It's getting ridiculous!' they vented.

The reviews didn't stop there. Shoppers also noted similar price jumps for pantry staples such as frozen lasagne, cheese, whisky, cooking bacon, and even cans of baked beans.

'Well, why did a can of baked beans price rise by nearly 50% and the same with small tins of tuna? Ripping us off—not happy with the excessive price rises! I think it may be time to shop elsewhere,' wrote another shopper.

This comes just a month after ALDI achieved the remarkable feat of being named Australia's favourite supermarket for the sixth consecutive year in Canstar's highly regarded Supermarket Satisfaction Awards.

In this competition, the retailer demonstrated its dominance in price-based categories, including 'value for money' and 'deals/specials available', outperforming competitors such as Coles, Woolworths, and IGA.

But with the recent customer reviews and backlash, is ALDI still the most budget-friendly supermarket around?

ALDI insists that their commitment to 'cutting out unnecessary costs' still stands and that they champion passing savings on to their customers. However, their recent price hikes reveal that taking advantage of ALDI's products may not be as cost-effective as we had once thought.

An ALDI spokesperson told a news source that these price jumps can be attributed to the current market conditions, which have driven higher producer input costs. This, in turn, has driven up prices for consumers.

They stated they remain committed to keeping prices low and continue monitoring meat and seafood pricing.

'We remain absolutely committed to delivering the best value for our customers,' they said.

Key Takeaways

• ALDI customers have criticised the supermarket following a significant increase in the price of certain products.
  • A complaint about the skinless Tasmanian salmon fillets was raised, which experienced a $4 increase.
  • Customers have noticed price hikes across a range of everyday products and expressed dissatisfaction on social media, with some threatening to switch to other supermarkets.
  • In response, an ALDI spokesperson said they keep their prices as low as possible and that the current pricing is due to market conditions that have led to higher producer input costs.

We understand how important it is to save money on essential items at this time, and by extension, budget-minded shoppers will often flock to a retailer like ALDI with the idea that they will get the best deals.

But if even ALDI is crumbling under the same market forces, making nearly everything else expensive, it might be wise for you to consider shopping away from the big supermarkets and into more affordable alternatives like local grocers. Make sure to do your due diligence first and compare prices; you could save more next door!

What are your thoughts? Have you noticed these price hikes in your local branch, too? Happy shopping, members!
I have noticed that the price of salmon has sky rocketed everywhere. All the large seafood shops and at all the other supermarkets. Though whether the prices changed overnight I'm not sure.

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

I know shopping for one is different to family shopping but I have an exercise book where I keep the price of anything I buy from Aldi, my cleaning Lady also does my shopping, when she returns I check the docket against my exercise book to see if there has been any increase in prices, up to now I find there have been no price increases in the last 4 months on my regular purchases, as to the fish prices If the fishermen have poor catches in bad weather the prices go up at the Auctions and are passed on by the purchasers.

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

Yes we have noticed prices rising..Groceries have risen very quickly lately at Aldi and if you compare prices at Coles and Woolworths for products similar you can often get your grocery bills just as cheaply at the other stores.

Yes we have noticed prices rising..Groceries have risen very quickly lately at Aldi and if you compare prices at Coles and Woolworths for products similar you can often get your grocery bills just as cheaply at the other stores.
I shop on price... if Aldi prices go up then they lose me. I noticed too that the price of Salmon rose so it's off the menu.

At last, someone who talks sense.
City people seem to have no idea regarding the fluctuations in prices of fresh food such as fish and meat.
Fuel is a very large cost for fisherman, has anyone noticed how much it has gone up. You can't expect prices to stay the same.
Some years they have good catches, some bad.
Same with meat prices and farmers Cattle, sheep etc. all have to be transported from the farm to market, then to the slaughter yards, then after packaging to the stores with each individual person passing on their price rises.
And yet people expect the stores to keep their prices the same.
What a stupid statement "the price went up overnight'" is. Whatever day it went up it's still going to be overnight.
Coles and Woolies have been price gouging for months.
Aldi is still, by far, the cheapest.
I tried a fish van just recently, $84 kg for flake. I think I'll stick with Aldi.

I now go to woollies first and buy their specials then go to aldi, it used to be the other way around but aldi price hikes on most products has left me wondering if home brands are really worth it.

• Love
Reactions: Helenmac and Ewa
At last, someone who talks sense.
City people seem to have no idea regarding the fluctuations in prices of fresh food such as fish and meat.
Fuel is a very large cost for fisherman, has anyone noticed how much it has gone up. You can't expect prices to stay the same.
Some years they have good catches, some bad.
Same with meat prices and farmers Cattle, sheep etc. all have to be transported from the farm to market, then to the slaughter yards, then after packaging to the stores with each individual person passing on their price rises.
And yet people expect the stores to keep their prices the same.
What a stupid statement "the price went up overnight'" is. Whatever day it went up it's still going to be overnight.
Coles and Woolies have been price gouging for months.
Aldi is still, by far, the cheapest.
I tried a fish van just recently, $84 kg for flake. I think I'll stick with Aldi.
How does that count for the sharp rise in aldi dog and cat food, and other staples that are notfresh food?

Thank goodness my son catches all our fish, he goes out on his boat , catches for fun and gives it all to us and we share it around.

I shopped on line at woolworths last week but it depends where the best sales are , woolworths this week has toilet paper and paper towel half price so I stocked up .

I then went to aldi to buy foil, baking paper ect . I go to where the best buys are.

Salmon I buy the packets of frozen ones, I think it's 10 in a pack for $29 at coles and hasn't gone up in months

For heaven's sake stop whinging. The big guys have always had higher prices for everything. It took a long while for brand name snobs to start shopping at Aldi - where most products come out of those same brand name factories or from Europe and are as good if not better quality. Aldi still have to pay what the manufacturers dictate - and that has gone up for all retailers . Also use your brain - some things are seasonal or rely on weather for production so of course prices change. Just be grateful you do not live in Morocco , Libya or the Ukraine - at least you still have shops full of goods available to you.

How does that count for the sharp rise in aldi dog and cat food, and other staples that are notfresh food?
I buy the fresh meat trays for my dogs, 14 a fortnight, they are $1 cheaper than Cole's. Saves me $14 on just one product.
Do you think that Aldi's suppliers do not pass price rises on, just the same as Cole's and Woolies.
If you can get them cheaper elsewhere then go there. Everyone is free to shop wherever they please.
Every stores prices on sraples has gone up. Aldi is not immune to price rises, it would be stupid to think they are.

For heaven's sake stop whinging. The big guys have always had higher prices for everything. It took a long while for brand name snobs to start shopping at Aldi - where most products come out of those same brand name factories or from Europe and are as good if not better quality. Aldi still have to pay what the manufacturers dictate - and that has gone up for all retailers . Also use your brain - some things are seasonal or rely on weather for production so of course prices change. Just be grateful you do not live in Morocco , Libya or the Ukraine - at least you still have shops full of goods available to you.
Well said.

It comes in tins - and manufacturing those has also gone up. Buy ingredients when marked down and cook it yourself - much better for your pet,with no addatives.
The dogs I cook for, keep cans just in case I'm not going to be home and they are fed by my son. The cats will only eat one particular food, but it's not just pet food , it's most things at aldi now, I check the specials at the other major stores before I go there.

Reactions: Disie

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

I just can't believe that ALDI achieved being named Australia's favorite supermarket for the sixth consecutive year in Canstar's highly regarded Supermarket Satisfaction Awards. Here in Port Pirie South Australia our ALDI is cheaper on selective items for a few weeks then they price the item to be one cent cheaper than the competition, yes they can still maintain that they are cheaper but we are not stupid. One item that sticks and makes my blood boil is Salada crackers which were forty cents cheaper than the competition now they are one cent cheaper, Cadbury Chocolate is six dollars, and ALDI is five dollars ninety-nine. Yes while they still are the cheapest but one cent on popular items give me a break not everyone is stupid.

I just can't believe that ALDI achieved being named Australia's favorite supermarket for the sixth consecutive year in Canstar's highly regarded Supermarket Satisfaction Awards. Here in Port Pirie South Australia our ALDI is cheaper on selective items for a few weeks then they price the item to be one cent cheaper than the competition, yes they can still maintain that they are cheaper but we are not stupid. One item that sticks and makes my blood boil is Salada crackers which were forty cents cheaper than the competition now they are one cent cheaper, Cadbury Chocolate is six dollars, and ALDI is five dollars ninety-nine. Yes while they still are the cheapest but one cent on popular items give me a break not everyone is stupid.
I can think of many items that are a lot cheaper at Aldi, so I don't care if some items are only one cent cheaper.
I still find my overall shop is considerably cheaper.
If you don't like it just shop elsewhere - SIMPLE.

View attachment 29714

Key Takeaways

C'mon peeps its the bloody same everywhere, If you dont like the charge for the labour for removing the skin then buy the skin on product and skin it your self.... even woolies and coles and most other fish retailers do the same.... Do those that complain scan and pack their own groceries thinking that they are getting something for free

I can think of many items that are a lot cheaper at Aldi, so I don't care if some items are only one cent cheaper.
I still find my overall shop is considerably cheaper.
If you don't like it just shop elsewhere - SIMPLE.
I do, as part of my price checking I have the three Majors within walking distance so I can price-compare between them. I make a list and shop for the cheapest items at all three. So there is no SIMPLE when it comes to my hard-earned money...