Customers could claim up to $5,000 over sneaky pricing tactics at Coles and Woolworths—are you eligible?

As savvy shoppers, we all love a good bargain, especially about our weekly grocery haul.

But what happens when those 'bargains' are not quite what they seem?

This is the question at the heart of a potential class action suit that could see Coles and Woolworths customers claiming up to $5,000 in compensation.

Carter Capner Law, a leading Australian law firm, is investigating the viability of a class action alongside the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) legal action against the supermarket giants.

The allegations? That Coles and Woolworths may have deceived shoppers with misleading discount pricing claims on hundreds of products through their 'Prices Dropped' and 'Down Down' campaigns.

47666-photo.jpg
Coles and Woolworths customers might claim up to $5,000 over the supermarkets’ sneaky pricing tactics. Credit: Shutterstock

‘Early estimates suggest that households could claim between $2,000 and $5,000, depending on the amount spent and the impact of the deceptive pricing,’ Peter Carter, the Law Director at Carter Capner Law, said.

This comes after the firm received an 'avalanche of calls from outraged customers' who felt betrayed by the supermarkets, particularly when many are grappling with the cost of living crisis.

The class action was prompted by customer outrage, with Carter stating that the firm had no initial plans to commence a class action until they were inundated with calls from customers 'demanding action and compensation.'

The potential class action does not depend on the outcome of the ACCC's case but will draw upon the evidence collected by the consumer watchdog.

‘The evidence the ACCC has collected would be useful, but the claim relies on their breaches of the Australian Consumer Law sections 18 (misleading/deceptive conduct), 20, 21 (unconscionable conduct) and 29 (misleading representation re price of goods),’ Carter said.

Dr Joel Lisk, a research fellow in law at Flinders University, has called the class action 'a positive' for shoppers.

‘The ACCC proceedings aren't about getting refunds for customers,’ Lisk said.

‘But if they are successful, it would mean customers have, in theory, been misled and deceived and could be entitled to damages.’

According to Dr Lisk, when it comes to compensation, the numbers 'start to add up' for consumers.

However, he also noted that it was 'hard to say' whether financial penalties will deter businesses from engaging in misleading conduct in the future.

‘If [fines are] seen as just the cost of doing business, it doesn't really dissuade businesses from engaging in misleading and deceptive conduct,’ he said.

‘Seeking damages from business for the losses that individuals like us have incurred is one way of doing that. But of course, we're talking probably about dollars and cents in transactions when businesses like Coles and Woolworths deal in the billions.’
Key Takeaways
  • Shoppers at Coles and Woolworths could potentially claim compensation ranging between $2,000 and $5,000 if the supermarkets are found to have used deceptive pricing tactics.
  • Carter Capner Law is considering a class action lawsuit on behalf of customers, with claims ignited by the ACCC's legal action against Coles and Woolworths for misleading discount claims.
  • The potential class action is fuelled by customer outrage and does not depend on the outcome of the ACCC's case but on breaches of specific sections of the Australian Consumer Law.
  • The ACCC alleged that the supermarkets' misconduct involved hundreds of products with misleading price representations over several months, which could result in significant financial compensation for affected consumers.
Have you noticed any questionable pricing tactics during your shopping trips? If the class action goes ahead, do you plan to join it? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
I have no desire to join a class action. I may be one of the few who do not rely on or believe 'sale prices'. I have the time, unlike many, to do my homework before I leave home to shop. If something is unreasonably priced, I find an alternative. Like everyone else, I was appalled by our local Woolies, which bumped up prices for the long weekend. Not just a little, cauliflowers went from $3.90 to $5.90 the day before the long weekend, and if you have kids, too bad. Cocktail frankfurts went from $7.99 a kilo to $9.99 on the same day.The local IGA had 1litre bottles of Jim Beam for $62 at the beginning of the week, and just in time for the long weekend, the same bottles were labelled 'managers special' at $70.
They are all playing us for fools.

We all know we are and have been ripped off by both Coles and Woolworths. But how many of you have kept receipts or any proof of this deception? So when and if they are charged and have to pay compensation, it will go to the government not the general public.

Ripping off customers is not new. The supermarkets have always had dodgy pricing whereas they say something is on special but you look at the older ticket and most of the time the special is the same price or a bit more expensive. Those supermarkets think that the majority of their customers are stupid.

Like some products 1c or 2c off. Then the prices are rounded UP. A though! make it illegal to sell at 1 or 2c cheaper and either have it at the high price or the price at 5c . It item shown as 5.98 then the price should be 6.00 If 5.93 then the price is 5.95 etc etc. I realise tha the superrobbbers will still make huge profits on some items. Coles have a habit of down down but you will find another item you usually buy is UP UP.

I'll join. I had that Woolies rewards membership created ironically to get the 10% monthly discount which has all your transaction slips. And the membership was $7 per month. Feel really ripped off now!

I was asked by "lawyers" Slater and Gordon to join in the class action against Optus and last year's data breach and I agreed. That was in April 2023 and I haven't heard a murmur since!

I expect this to end up the same way.

As mentioned before, how does one prove their purchases? Hardly anyone would keep receipts longer than a week for groceries as there is no warranty on perishables. Receipts printed on thermal paper fade after a short time, especially in hot and humid climates.

A useless exercise in futility.

Last edited:
Class actions just line lawyers ‘ pockets. There are usually a couple of successful test litigants and the others get very little and may end up with a legal bill.
Hi Scaveola,
I totally agree with your thoughts. Yes it is true the winners in all class actions are the company of lawyers who take these cases on.
When you read the fine print of the distributions of any monies, the % which the lawyers stipulate, is where they take the near majority of outcomes for professional services incl., all legal representations to the appropriate hearings etc.
Folks, don't be fooled that you'll get anything.
If you don't sign up, then you wont be disappointed with "ZILCH, ZERO, NOTHING".

I was asked by "lawyers" Slater and Gordon to join in the class action against Optus and last year's data breach and I agreed. That was in April 2023 and I haven't heard a murmur since!

As mentioned before, how does one prove their purchases? Hardly anyone would keep receipts longer than a week for groceries as there is no warranty on perishables. Receipts printed on thermal paper fade after a short time, especially in hot and humid climates.

Hi Veggie,
My wife & self were informed by Slater Gordon that we were participants in a class action against investment company BT, who are owned by Westpac bank. We knew absolutely nothing about the action.
Why we were part thereof, was, where we were invested in a particular portfolio therein for about 3 months.
We were advised to register which we did.

When I read what the disbursements were going to entail, I just laughed. "S & G" were going to make a "Mint" out of it. I told my wife not to expect a solitary razoo & to forget all about it.

This action was well over 18 months ago, & of course, we've never heard anything since. I don't even know if the action has finalised, or, even started.

I think that I'll google "S & G's" Class Actions to see what I can find out. We were also informed by them in the "Paperwork" not to ring them of the action or any results of same.

I also joined the optus class action and have heard absolutely nothing.

For this one you need the receipts. I spend between $300 to $400 every week. I do on line shopping and they only store up to a few receipts at a time and they haven't given an invoice in your shipping for a few years now

Reactions: croz