Customers could claim up to $5,000 over sneaky pricing tactics at Coles and Woolworths—are you eligible?

As savvy shoppers, we all love a good bargain, especially about our weekly grocery haul.

But what happens when those 'bargains' are not quite what they seem?

This is the question at the heart of a potential class action suit that could see Coles and Woolworths customers claiming up to $5,000 in compensation.

Carter Capner Law, a leading Australian law firm, is investigating the viability of a class action alongside the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) legal action against the supermarket giants.

The allegations? That Coles and Woolworths may have deceived shoppers with misleading discount pricing claims on hundreds of products through their 'Prices Dropped' and 'Down Down' campaigns.

47666-photo.jpg
Coles and Woolworths customers might claim up to $5,000 over the supermarkets’ sneaky pricing tactics. Credit: Shutterstock

‘Early estimates suggest that households could claim between $2,000 and $5,000, depending on the amount spent and the impact of the deceptive pricing,’ Peter Carter, the Law Director at Carter Capner Law, said.

This comes after the firm received an 'avalanche of calls from outraged customers' who felt betrayed by the supermarkets, particularly when many are grappling with the cost of living crisis.

The class action was prompted by customer outrage, with Carter stating that the firm had no initial plans to commence a class action until they were inundated with calls from customers 'demanding action and compensation.'

The potential class action does not depend on the outcome of the ACCC's case but will draw upon the evidence collected by the consumer watchdog.

‘The evidence the ACCC has collected would be useful, but the claim relies on their breaches of the Australian Consumer Law sections 18 (misleading/deceptive conduct), 20, 21 (unconscionable conduct) and 29 (misleading representation re price of goods),’ Carter said.

Dr Joel Lisk, a research fellow in law at Flinders University, has called the class action 'a positive' for shoppers.

‘The ACCC proceedings aren't about getting refunds for customers,’ Lisk said.

‘But if they are successful, it would mean customers have, in theory, been misled and deceived and could be entitled to damages.’

According to Dr Lisk, when it comes to compensation, the numbers 'start to add up' for consumers.

However, he also noted that it was 'hard to say' whether financial penalties will deter businesses from engaging in misleading conduct in the future.

‘If [fines are] seen as just the cost of doing business, it doesn't really dissuade businesses from engaging in misleading and deceptive conduct,’ he said.

‘Seeking damages from business for the losses that individuals like us have incurred is one way of doing that. But of course, we're talking probably about dollars and cents in transactions when businesses like Coles and Woolworths deal in the billions.’
Key Takeaways
  • Shoppers at Coles and Woolworths could potentially claim compensation ranging between $2,000 and $5,000 if the supermarkets are found to have used deceptive pricing tactics.
  • Carter Capner Law is considering a class action lawsuit on behalf of customers, with claims ignited by the ACCC's legal action against Coles and Woolworths for misleading discount claims.
  • The potential class action is fuelled by customer outrage and does not depend on the outcome of the ACCC's case but on breaches of specific sections of the Australian Consumer Law.
  • The ACCC alleged that the supermarkets' misconduct involved hundreds of products with misleading price representations over several months, which could result in significant financial compensation for affected consumers.
Have you noticed any questionable pricing tactics during your shopping trips? If the class action goes ahead, do you plan to join it? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
Re my previous post.
We had to supply our banking details for any monies to be automatically deposited as a result of the action.

We were also informed by them, that if our entitlement was to the value of $10 or less, we'd receive "Zilch" . That would be redistributed to those with over the $10 minimum.

No deposits as such at this point in time.

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
The lawyers will take between 30 to 50 % in fees
Hi Suzanne rose,

I think that you'll find that they take quite a considerable bit more than what you suggest of their take in percentages.

One would hope that I'm wrong in what I know/assume.

No doubt, some one out there may well enlighten us to the fact.

Reactions: SandyM
You need to know the previous price to know if you are being mislead. If you are suspicious check if there is another price tag underneath. A lot of supermarkets are sneaky like that - not only Coles and Woolworths

Reactions: novezar
You need to know the previous price to know if you are being mislead. If you are suspicious check if there is another price tag underneath. A lot of supermarkets are sneaky like that - not only Coles and Woolworths.
Aldi are the sneaky ones, they use the digital price tags.

The problem is if the supermarkets lose, the cost will be still put on the customer with increase in prices once again. Class action isn't the solution, that's just adding to lawyer gains. There should be government legislation about how often prices can be increased annually not like now with daily and weekly increases on items.

They have been doing this for longer than I can remember.
Just look at how they manipulate the cost of fuel.

Something needs to be done.

• Angry
A leading Australian law firm? Never heard of them. That just shows you how big (or little) this class action will be, and the level of importance it is.
How will they determine the refund amount? How will they determine the eligibility of an individual?
I think the beneficiaries of the outcome, will be the leading (cough, cough) Australian law firm, which no one has ever heard of.
Very disappointing.

Yes this has been going on for years, also it’s very annoying, putting it politely
both supermarkets , coles more though , they put a special sticker over the original pricetag,, and wen I lift the tab,,,,,,, ITS THE SAME EXACT PRICE,,,,,,,

• Sad
I was asked by "lawyers" Slater and Gordon to join in the class action against Optus and last year's data breach and I agreed. That was in April 2023 and I haven't heard a murmur since!

I expect this to end up the same way.

As mentioned before, how does one prove their purchases? Hardly anyone would keep receipts longer than a week for groceries as there is no warranty on perishables. Receipts printed on thermal paper fade after a short time, especially in hot and humid climates.

A useless exercise in futility.
These things are very slow, but I imagine you will hear from them down the track. I joined a class action for faulty air bag and actually received a tiny compensation. I am also in another for something a little more personal and it has been going on since 2021. Initially heard nothing, but hearing more now. I was sceptical in the beginning, but know things are progressing. I don't anticipate much in the way of compensation, but believe the companies involved feel the pinch.

I was asked by "lawyers" Slater and Gordon to join in the class action against Optus and last year's data breach and I agreed. That was in April 2023 and I haven't heard a murmur since!

I expect this to end up the same way.

As mentioned before, how does one prove their purchases? Hardly anyone would keep receipts longer than a week for groceries as there is no warranty on perishables. Receipts printed on thermal paper fade after a short time, especially in hot and humid climates.

A useless exercise in futility.
That is why I scan to my computer.....

These things are very slow, but I imagine you will hear from them down the track. I joined a class action for faulty air bag and actually received a tiny compensation. I am also in another for something a little more personal and it has been going on since 2021. Initially heard nothing, but hearing more now. I was sceptical in the beginning, but know things are progressing. I don't anticipate much in the way of compensation, but believe the companies involved feel the pinch.
Slater and Gordon employed an ex-prime mister... that says it all.
I find her so abhorrent I can't even mention her name....

I will be joining if it goes ahead. I shop every week at Woolies. I'm a grandma who I care for my Grandson who's on the spectrum. I'm on a disability pension and it's hard to survive. I spend anything between $180-$245 a week. Lately I've noticed my groceries which are more expensive by 50 to 60 dollars. I have to put things back and I can't buy extra due to increase.. so yes I will be willing.

So, I take it that GMP is catering for NSW and Carter Capner Law for QLD, for the Class Action against Woolworths and Coles thieving methods - is this correct, and if so, is there a form of sorts, similar to the one for GMP for addressing your claim, or, if not, how does one apply to be included in the Class Action? I'd be grateful if we were given more information to enable us to achieve initial contact with these law firms...

I'll join. I had that Woolies rewards membership created ironically to get the 10% monthly discount which has all your transaction slips. And the membership was $7 per month. Feel really ripped off now!
Hi, lildav1:
You have me on that. I can't ever recall having to pay $7/month especially if it's for the 'Loyalty' programme for the 10% off.
As we all know, with Woollies, you get the 10% off your next shop when you have spent the required amount of money.