Couple who won the lottery cut off by family: “Blood is not thicker than money”

For most, winning the lottery is something people dream about. Never ever having to worry or stress about finances ever again is a blessing and luxury that most people will never know.

In reality, however, being a lottery winner actually brings with it a lot of consequences. As the popular saying goes, “With great power, comes great responsibility”.

One couple, after winning massively, unknowingly broke the very first rule of winning the lottery – and now they’re caught in the consequences.

5AXDUXc5G9XMqWg8dB8UpWUE4uMj_phJmDkU_RvUquh-XrwjRUOwLzdhTcUKB2cc26YqELMZ2uXa6b4nCdh5o_r4R0a_ZmhFSLYtjqDFYODp0n-hW13Ibi0EWf9Gs62GXF9r--Nd

A married couple won $5.6 million on a lottery ticket they bought “just for fun”. Credit: IGraDesign/Getty Images/iStockphoto.
On the forum site Reddit, one man shared that he and his wife had been buying a lottery ticket every month just for fun. But in an unexpected stroke of luck, they both managed to bag the grand prize, totalling a whopping 5.6 million dollars.

Just like any sensible lottery winner, the first thing they did was pay off their remaining debts, such as their university loans, car loans, and their mortgage.

Now debt-free, they were left with $5 million dollars in their account, a jaw-dropping sum of money.

The 24-year-old man, who was working in the financial sector when they won the jackpot, added that 70 per cent of lottery winners go broke after only a few years. And since he wanted to quit his job but didn’t want to be a part of that percentage, he decided to invest $3 million in a “combination” of mutual funds, real estate investment trusts and their preferred stock funds with an extremely low-risk, solid return approach.

For the remaining $2 million dollars, he used it to buy an apartment complex that he will be renting out. This way, both he and his wife can earn income passively.

The couple’s all ready and set up for their future. However, when the husband told his family about it, their reaction was anything but supportive.

“I thought their first reaction would be excited for me,” said the man. “But they started talking about a huge family trip, how I was paying for all their debt, and more.”

Apparently, the man’s family, particularly his older brothers, sisters, cousins, and aunts and uncles, all wanted a cut from the couple’s winnings. His mum walked out on their family when he was young, and his dad was “the type of person who never would have asked”.

When the husband told them that even though he and his wife won quite a lump of money, he would not simply “give it away” to people just because they’re family. Then, they became absolutely furious.

According to him, he was no longer “welcome in the family” and he should refrain from getting in contact with them ever again.

“I think I’m in the right because I’m doing what’s best for me and my wife,” he added.

Trjok_E75jp3BG2AIMd0bv6tmSMW3dqZJZy5XKDanekafHgOYVyISx5Em3AFgDek_AqswHou1nESI2O7SAg20yiU3cHnZxd37s0OUos-_vuVQQcsn6g0SFdSLaKdP6uIqn_52rZ8

The 24-year-old couple invested their earnings instead of giving them away to family members. Credit: Drazen Zigic/Getty Images/iStockphoto.
The man’s post gained a ton of attention on the forum, with nearly a thousand comments flooding in. Naturally, they are all in support of the husband’s decisions.

One person pointed out that his family members reek of privilege and entitlement, when it’s not even their money they’re talking about.

A second user commented: “Your family has shown you that blood is not thicker than money,” with another adding: “And that their love and acceptance is for sale!”

Meanwhile, some users are also telling the man that they broke the “first rule in winning the lottery”, which is: Don’t tell anyone you won the lottery.

“You never tell anyone you won money. People will always automatically hold out their hand for a share,” one user said.

What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
I don't do the lottery, but if I did and I won I would give most of it away. At my time of life I have most everything I need with the exception of maybe a new car. The money would be of enormous benefit to my kids, they could pay off their mortgages (or buy a house) and make the rest of their lives easier being debt free. They would get the balance anyway on my demise so why not give it away and get the warm and fuzzies whilst I am able.

Hmmm, I agree with the couples decision although I think if I won a huge sum I would want to pay off the home mortgages of my children. Definitely would not be advertising the fact I had won the lottery.
This man is 24, the couple most likely don't have any children yet, otherwise they may have been mentioned.
What they've done is securing certainty for any potential children.
Good on them!
I don't do lotteries, either.

This is a subject my husband and I have had many time.
if we won load of money we would NOT tell anyone how much. We would down play the amount when telling our kids as we would pay the mortgages out. Other family members we would help out but in covert ways. I love the idea of being sneaky to the point of suggesting we had also been given money through unknown sources as well.

i don't know what to say i don't get tattslotto use to but won small amounts so gave up but if i did i would help my 2 adult sons make sure i was looked after then if my sisters and Brothers needed help i would be happy to help out the best i can i don't have grand children marg:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
A 24 year old man and his wife. Look after yourselves and when you have kids you can help them a little when the time is right. Let your kids develop a sense of work ethic and appreciation for small mercies.

The difference in responses shows the ages of the respondents. The couple are young and very sensibly providing for their future. As an old person I'd give most away mostly to family, but I don't buy tickets any more. hahaha

Reactions: VickiAl and Ricci
We put in the Lotto using a family syndicate. Each person in the syndicate gets their share to do with as they please. It saves there being any arguments if we do happen to win. Of course the golden rule always applies: tell no-one you won!

Reactions: 68autobug and Ricci
I have to agree with the First Rule of Lotto Win - Don't tell anyone about Lotto Win !! haha I say it & I say it again & again... GREED IS UGLY. This shows how 'ugly' the family members are. Personally I don't see why the family members automatically believed they had any rights to any of the money. If you walked into a room & told family you have just managed to bank & save a million nice ones, would they immediately stake claim to your savings? Good grief, why not just be happy for the winners & rejoice in their blessing!

For most, winning the lottery is something people dream about. Never ever having to worry or stress about finances ever again is a blessing and luxury that most people will never know.

In reality, however, being a lottery winner actually brings with it a lot of consequences. As the popular saying goes, “With great power, comes great responsibility”.

One couple, after winning massively, unknowingly broke the very first rule of winning the lottery – and now they’re caught in the consequences.

5AXDUXc5G9XMqWg8dB8UpWUE4uMj_phJmDkU_RvUquh-XrwjRUOwLzdhTcUKB2cc26YqELMZ2uXa6b4nCdh5o_r4R0a_ZmhFSLYtjqDFYODp0n-hW13Ibi0EWf9Gs62GXF9r--Nd

A married couple won $5.6 million on a lottery ticket they bought “just for fun”. Credit: IGraDesign/Getty Images/iStockphoto.
On the forum site Reddit, one man shared that he and his wife had been buying a lottery ticket every month just for fun. But in an unexpected stroke of luck, they both managed to bag the grand prize, totalling a whopping 5.6 million dollars.

Just like any sensible lottery winner, the first thing they did was pay off their remaining debts, such as their university loans, car loans, and their mortgage.

Now debt-free, they were left with $5 million dollars in their account, a jaw-dropping sum of money.

The 24-year-old man, who was working in the financial sector when they won the jackpot, added that 70 per cent of lottery winners go broke after only a few years. And since he wanted to quit his job but didn’t want to be a part of that percentage, he decided to invest $3 million in a “combination” of mutual funds, real estate investment trusts and their preferred stock funds with an extremely low-risk, solid return approach.

For the remaining $2 million dollars, he used it to buy an apartment complex that he will be renting out. This way, both he and his wife can earn income passively.

The couple’s all ready and set up for their future. However, when the husband told his family about it, their reaction was anything but supportive.

“I thought their first reaction would be excited for me,” said the man. “But they started talking about a huge family trip, how I was paying for all their debt, and more.”

Apparently, the man’s family, particularly his older brothers, sisters, cousins, and aunts and uncles, all wanted a cut from the couple’s winnings. His mum walked out on their family when he was young, and his dad was “the type of person who never would have asked”.

When the husband told them that even though he and his wife won quite a lump of money, he would not simply “give it away” to people just because they’re family. Then, they became absolutely furious.

According to him, he was no longer “welcome in the family” and he should refrain from getting in contact with them ever again.

“I think I’m in the right because I’m doing what’s best for me and my wife,” he added.

Trjok_E75jp3BG2AIMd0bv6tmSMW3dqZJZy5XKDanekafHgOYVyISx5Em3AFgDek_AqswHou1nESI2O7SAg20yiU3cHnZxd37s0OUos-_vuVQQcsn6g0SFdSLaKdP6uIqn_52rZ8

The 24-year-old couple invested their earnings instead of giving them away to family members. Credit: Drazen Zigic/Getty Images/iStockphoto.
The man’s post gained a ton of attention on the forum, with nearly a thousand comments flooding in. Naturally, they are all in support of the husband’s decisions.

One person pointed out that his family members reek of privilege and entitlement, when it’s not even their money they’re talking about.

A second user commented: “Your family has shown you that blood is not thicker than money,” with another adding: “And that their love and acceptance is for sale!”

Meanwhile, some users are also telling the man that they broke the “first rule in winning the lottery”, which is: Don’t tell anyone you won the lottery.

“You never tell anyone you won money. People will always automatically hold out their hand for a share,” one user said.

Good on them enjoy your future together as far as family not worth worrying about 👍

Reactions: Ricci and Chris
Although it's not what i would do, it's their money and they are entitled to use it the way they want to... good luck to them both.. nana of 6

I didn't need to win anything which I haven't on the day of my husband's funeral there might as well as been a line with their hands trying to see what was in pockets.

• Sad
Don't tell anyone you have come into money, because if you do the vultures come circling and really, you do not have to explain anything to anyone if you keep it quiet. Family are the worst vultures out there who believe they are entitled to a cut of anything you have, remember, where there's a will there's always family there with some sort of claim. Same when you win something.

Reactions: Vinylted and Ricci
This is a conversation my Husband and I have every time there is a large Lotto Jackpot! He is an avid buyer, every week without fail he makes the trip to his fave "Lucky"news agent to buy his ticket and stresses if he cannot get there in time, I on the other hand very rarely buy a ticket and quietly think they are a waste of money. My husband is estranged from his older brother and has declared on morre than one occasion that he would take out a full page advertisment in a local paper just so that he could let his brother know of his win. He is of course being extremely foolish and more often than not will admit that but I am getting tired of the whole conversation, and quite often just say that we will talk about it when and if it ever happens. I quess it is obvious to our readers that my husband and I do not see eye to eye when it comes to money and how to spend or use it to our advantage, sigh!!

• Sad
Knowing Dr Amber has been a blessing to me. His spells are incredible with no side effects. I suffered from brain cancer for years with a lot of bills piled up on my neck. I play the lottery hoping that someday I will win big to clear up my debts, live the good life that I've always dreamt of. I was referred to Dr Amber by a friend of mine in South Africa telling me that he can help me win the lottery. I had a chat with Dr Amber about winning the lottery and he was so confident about his work that made me believe in him knowing fully well that he has been helpful to other people. He did a reading for me that made it clear to him that I was going to become a winner after he had prepared the spell for me. He told me the exact ticket to pick and I was declared the winner of ONE MILLION DOLLARS at the "Double Your Money” instant lottery game. I don't know what you seek for but Dr Amber can help you. Email him at ( [email protected] ) to know more or go to : amberlottotemple.com
Hmm and another spell to grow my hair back again... pull the other one mat! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci and Hieme