Couple who won the lottery cut off by family: “Blood is not thicker than money”

For most, winning the lottery is something people dream about. Never ever having to worry or stress about finances ever again is a blessing and luxury that most people will never know.

In reality, however, being a lottery winner actually brings with it a lot of consequences. As the popular saying goes, “With great power, comes great responsibility”.

One couple, after winning massively, unknowingly broke the very first rule of winning the lottery – and now they’re caught in the consequences.

5AXDUXc5G9XMqWg8dB8UpWUE4uMj_phJmDkU_RvUquh-XrwjRUOwLzdhTcUKB2cc26YqELMZ2uXa6b4nCdh5o_r4R0a_ZmhFSLYtjqDFYODp0n-hW13Ibi0EWf9Gs62GXF9r--Nd

A married couple won $5.6 million on a lottery ticket they bought “just for fun”. Credit: IGraDesign/Getty Images/iStockphoto.
On the forum site Reddit, one man shared that he and his wife had been buying a lottery ticket every month just for fun. But in an unexpected stroke of luck, they both managed to bag the grand prize, totalling a whopping 5.6 million dollars.

Just like any sensible lottery winner, the first thing they did was pay off their remaining debts, such as their university loans, car loans, and their mortgage.

Now debt-free, they were left with $5 million dollars in their account, a jaw-dropping sum of money.

The 24-year-old man, who was working in the financial sector when they won the jackpot, added that 70 per cent of lottery winners go broke after only a few years. And since he wanted to quit his job but didn’t want to be a part of that percentage, he decided to invest $3 million in a “combination” of mutual funds, real estate investment trusts and their preferred stock funds with an extremely low-risk, solid return approach.

For the remaining $2 million dollars, he used it to buy an apartment complex that he will be renting out. This way, both he and his wife can earn income passively.

The couple’s all ready and set up for their future. However, when the husband told his family about it, their reaction was anything but supportive.

“I thought their first reaction would be excited for me,” said the man. “But they started talking about a huge family trip, how I was paying for all their debt, and more.”

Apparently, the man’s family, particularly his older brothers, sisters, cousins, and aunts and uncles, all wanted a cut from the couple’s winnings. His mum walked out on their family when he was young, and his dad was “the type of person who never would have asked”.

When the husband told them that even though he and his wife won quite a lump of money, he would not simply “give it away” to people just because they’re family. Then, they became absolutely furious.

According to him, he was no longer “welcome in the family” and he should refrain from getting in contact with them ever again.

“I think I’m in the right because I’m doing what’s best for me and my wife,” he added.

Trjok_E75jp3BG2AIMd0bv6tmSMW3dqZJZy5XKDanekafHgOYVyISx5Em3AFgDek_AqswHou1nESI2O7SAg20yiU3cHnZxd37s0OUos-_vuVQQcsn6g0SFdSLaKdP6uIqn_52rZ8

The 24-year-old couple invested their earnings instead of giving them away to family members. Credit: Drazen Zigic/Getty Images/iStockphoto.
The man’s post gained a ton of attention on the forum, with nearly a thousand comments flooding in. Naturally, they are all in support of the husband’s decisions.

One person pointed out that his family members reek of privilege and entitlement, when it’s not even their money they’re talking about.

A second user commented: “Your family has shown you that blood is not thicker than money,” with another adding: “And that their love and acceptance is for sale!”

Meanwhile, some users are also telling the man that they broke the “first rule in winning the lottery”, which is: Don’t tell anyone you won the lottery.

“You never tell anyone you won money. People will always automatically hold out their hand for a share,” one user said.

What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Knowing Dr Amber has been a blessing to me. His spells are incredible with no side effects. I suffered from brain cancer for years with a lot of bills piled up on my neck. I play the lottery hoping that someday I will win big to clear up my debts, live the good life that I've always dreamt of. I was referred to Dr Amber by a friend of mine in South Africa telling me that he can help me win the lottery. I had a chat with Dr Amber about winning the lottery and he was so confident about his work that made me believe in him knowing fully well that he has been helpful to other people. He did a reading for me that made it clear to him that I was going to become a winner after he had prepared the spell for me. He told me the exact ticket to pick and I was declared the winner of ONE MILLION DOLLARS at the "Double Your Money” instant lottery game. I don't know what you seek for but Dr Amber can help you. Email him at ( [email protected] ) to know more or go to : amberlottotemple.com
Is Dr Amber related to Amber Heard? I think she's a Proctologist or something similar. I believe her smells are incredible but they do have side effects. Tell Dr Amber that if he wants to win the lottery, I will gladly tell him where to go and what to do when he gets there. I'm sure he is like you. A real Winner!

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci
Good to see he's gone. Not to worry, it happens from time to time. I just enjoy making light of such people.

Reactions: Ricci
Lottery is something the majority of the people in the world want to win, not only winning but to win big. I have never played the lottery because personally I always think there is something behind all the big wins. I was emotionally down because my shop rent is due and I needed help financially. I discovered Dr Amber on the internet stating how he has helped a lot people win the lottery with his spells. I never knew such a thing existed. I had a chat with him via +18084815132 telling him what I needed and he gave me his word that my life will be a testimony to other people. I purchased my first lottery ticket just as he told me to but honestly I was worried that it might be a scam. But to my relief and excitement, it was all legit! when I heard the news that I was the winner of ONE MILLION DOLLARS. I never could have imagined that I could be a lottery winner and I'm here to say thank you to Dr Amber. His reachable on Email: amberlottotemple @yahoo. com or website: amberlottotemple.com