Counting From Left To Right Feels ‘Natural’ – But New Research Shows Our Brains Count Faster From Bottom To Top

When asked to write the numbers from one to ten in a sequence, how do you order them? Horizontally? Vertically? Left to right? Top to bottom? Would you place them randomly?

It has been often been assumed, and taught in schools in Western countries, that the “correct” ordering of numbers is from left to right (1, 2, 3, 4…) rather than right to left (10, 9, 8, 7…). The ordering of numbers along a horizontal dimension is known as a “mental number line” and describes an important way we represent number and quantity in space.

Studies show humans prefer to position larger numbers to the right and smaller numbers to the left. People are usually faster and more accurate at comparing numbers when larger ones are to the right and smaller ones are to the left, and people with brain damage that disrupts their spatial processing also show similar disruptions in number processing.

But so far, there has been little research testing whether the horizontal dimension is the most important one we associate with numbers. In new research published in PLOS ONE, we found that humans actually process numbers faster when they are displayed vertically – with smaller numbers at the bottom and larger numbers at the top.

Not just humans​

Our associations between number and space are influenced by language and culture, but these links are not unique to humans.

Tests on three-day-old chicks show they seek smaller numberswith a leftwards bias and larger numbers with a rightwards one. Pigeons and blue jays seem to have a left-to-right or right-to-left mental number line, depending on the individual.

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 11.49.38.png
Even three-day-old chicks have something like a mental number line. Jason Leung / Unsplash

These findings suggest associations between space and numbers may be wired into the brains of humans and other animals.

However, while many studies have examined left-to-right and right-to-left horizontal mental number lines, few have explored whether our dominant mental number line is even horizontal at all.

How we test for these spatial-numerical associations​

To test how quickly people can process numbers in different arrangements, we set up an experiment where people were shown pairs of numbers from 1 to 9 on a monitor and used a joystick to indicate where the larger number was located.

If the 6 and 8 were shown on the screen, for example, the correct answer would be 8. A participant would indicate this by moving the joystick towards the 8 as fast as possible.

To measure participant response times as accurately as possible, we used fast-refresh 120 Hertz monitors and high-performance zero-lag arcade joysticks.

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 11.50.33.png
Testing how participants show preferences for either horizontal or vertical mental number lines by indicating the larger number with a computer gaming joy stick.

What we found​

When the numbers were separated both vertically and horizontally, we found only the vertical arrangement affected response time. This suggests that, given the opportunity to use either a horizontal or vertical mental representation of numbers in space, participants only used the vertical representation.

When the larger number was above the smaller number, people responded much more quickly than in any other arrangement of numbers.

This suggests our mental number line actually goes from bottom (small numbers) to top (large numbers).

Why is this important?​

Numbers affect almost every part of our lives (and our safety). Pharmacists need to correctly measure doses of medicine, engineers need to determine stresses on buildings and structures, pilots need to know their speed and altitude, and all of us need to know what button to press on an elevator.

The way we learn to use numbers, and how designers choose to display numerical information to us, can have important implications for how we make fast and accurate decisions. In fact, in some time-critical decision-making environments, such as aeroplane cockpits and stock market floors, numbers are often displayed vertically.

Our findings, and another recent study, may have implications for designers seeking to help users quickly understand and use numerical information. Modern devices enable very innovative number display options, which could help people use technology more efficiently and safely.

There are also implications for education, suggesting we should teach children using vertical bottom-to-top mental number lines as well as the familiar left-to-right ones. Bottom-to-top appears to be how our brains are wired to be most efficient at using numbers – and that might help getting our heads around how numbers work a little easier.

This article was first published on The Conversation, and was written by Luke Greenacre Senior lecturer in marketing from Monash University, Adrian Dyer Associate Professor from Monash University, Jair Garcia Researcher and analyst from Monash University and Scarlett Howard Lecturer from Monash University

Sponsored
When asked to write the numbers from one to ten in a sequence, how do you order them? Horizontally? Vertically? Left to right? Top to bottom? Would you place them randomly?

It has been often been assumed, and taught in schools in Western countries, that the “correct” ordering of numbers is from left to right (1, 2, 3, 4…) rather than right to left (10, 9, 8, 7…). The ordering of numbers along a horizontal dimension is known as a “mental number line” and describes an important way we represent number and quantity in space.

Studies show humans prefer to position larger numbers to the right and smaller numbers to the left. People are usually faster and more accurate at comparing numbers when larger ones are to the right and smaller ones are to the left, and people with brain damage that disrupts their spatial processing also show similar disruptions in number processing.

But so far, there has been little research testing whether the horizontal dimension is the most important one we associate with numbers. In new research published in PLOS ONE, we found that humans actually process numbers faster when they are displayed vertically – with smaller numbers at the bottom and larger numbers at the top.

Not just humans​

Our associations between number and space are influenced by language and culture, but these links are not unique to humans.

Tests on three-day-old chicks show they seek smaller numberswith a leftwards bias and larger numbers with a rightwards one. Pigeons and blue jays seem to have a left-to-right or right-to-left mental number line, depending on the individual.

View attachment 5878
Even three-day-old chicks have something like a mental number line. Jason Leung / Unsplash

These findings suggest associations between space and numbers may be wired into the brains of humans and other animals.

However, while many studies have examined left-to-right and right-to-left horizontal mental number lines, few have explored whether our dominant mental number line is even horizontal at all.

To test how quickly people can process numbers in different arrangements, we set up an experiment where people were shown pairs of numbers from 1 to 9 on a monitor and used a joystick to indicate where the larger number was located.

If the 6 and 8 were shown on the screen, for example, the correct answer would be 8. A participant would indicate this by moving the joystick towards the 8 as fast as possible.

To measure participant response times as accurately as possible, we used fast-refresh 120 Hertz monitors and high-performance zero-lag arcade joysticks.

View attachment 5879
Testing how participants show preferences for either horizontal or vertical mental number lines by indicating the larger number with a computer gaming joy stick.

What we found​

When the numbers were separated both vertically and horizontally, we found only the vertical arrangement affected response time. This suggests that, given the opportunity to use either a horizontal or vertical mental representation of numbers in space, participants only used the vertical representation.

When the larger number was above the smaller number, people responded much more quickly than in any other arrangement of numbers.

This suggests our mental number line actually goes from bottom (small numbers) to top (large numbers).

Why is this important?​

Numbers affect almost every part of our lives (and our safety). Pharmacists need to correctly measure doses of medicine, engineers need to determine stresses on buildings and structures, pilots need to know their speed and altitude, and all of us need to know what button to press on an elevator.

The way we learn to use numbers, and how designers choose to display numerical information to us, can have important implications for how we make fast and accurate decisions. In fact, in some time-critical decision-making environments, such as aeroplane cockpits and stock market floors, numbers are often displayed vertically.

Our findings, and another recent study, may have implications for designers seeking to help users quickly understand and use numerical information. Modern devices enable very innovative number display options, which could help people use technology more efficiently and safely.

There are also implications for education, suggesting we should teach children using vertical bottom-to-top mental number lines as well as the familiar left-to-right ones. Bottom-to-top appears to be how our brains are wired to be most efficient at using numbers – and that might help getting our heads around how numbers work a little easier.

This article was first published on The Conversation, and was written by Luke Greenacre Senior lecturer in marketing from Monash University, Adrian Dyer Associate Professor from Monash University, Jair Garcia Researcher and analyst from Monash University and Scarlett Howard Lecturer from Monash University
My mother, born in 1902 always counted from bottom to top, even counting pounds shillings and pence simultaneously. Her accuracy and speed was a bit scary but also seemed to depend on her using a finger to guide herself

My mother, born in 1902 always counted from bottom to top, even counting pounds shillings and pence simultaneously. Her accuracy and speed was a bit scary but also seemed to depend on her using a finger to guide herself
Always have counted bottom to top. I also taught this to junior primary children. Didn't realise there was another way to count columns of numbers.

My Mum was a brilliant comptomitor.
She was incredibly fast and 100% accurate.
At the times of the year when all the books had to be done, eg tax time, quarterly etc, Mum's firm would send her home in a taxi with piles of books and a Burroughs Adding machine.
What Mum did in a weekend, the firm used to outsource it over a month.
The extra income Mum received allowed us to get fish and chips on the Saturday night and a block of ice-cream. Only problem was, we could not talk to Mum at all....she was so focussed on her work, and she rechecked everything.
She had a photographic memory, and could add up without thinking.

I was always very good at school, I always used to win the tables competitions and mental arithmetic competitions when the Inspector visited our school.
I was always the last man standing, but I was embarrassed...I didn't realise the significance of it.
My son was in the High School Advanced Maths classes from Year 7 - 9, he was and still is brilliant with numbers.
He was removed from Advanced Maths in Year 9, because he didn't write down his workings out...he did everything in his head.
He didn't know how he worked out the questions, but was always correct.
The school thought he must have been cheating, and did nothing to see if he was or not.
He could have done the work in a locked cupboard on his own, and still got 100% .
He's doing a PhD and his prowess in numbers is essential for the work he is doing.
We all learnt in columns, not rows.

At the times of the year when all the books had to be done, eg tax time, quarterly etc, Mum's firm would send her home in a taxi with piles of books and a Burroughs Adding machine.
The extra income Mum received allowed us to get fish and chips on the Saturday night and a block of ice-cream. Only problem was, we could not talk to Mum at all....she was so focussed on her work, and she rechecked everything.

I was always very good at school, I always used to win the tables competitions and mental arithmetic competitions when the Inspector visited our school.
I was always the last man standing, but I was embarrassed...I didn't realise the significance of it.
My son was in the High School Advanced Maths classes from Year 7 - 9, he was and still is brilliant with numbers.
He was removed from Advanced Maths in Year 9, because he didn't write down his workings out...he did everything in his head.
The school thought he must have been cheating, and did nothing to see if he was or not.
He could have done the work in a locked cupboard on his own, and still got 100% .
He's doing a PhD and his prowess in numbers is essential for the work he is doing.
Well done for your mum, yourself & your son.
My husband & I were just having a discussion how we were taught at primary school with maths using Cuisenaire Rods.

I've always wondered about those coloured Cuisenaire Rods.....they were after my time.
Did they work?
Did that system last very long?
Yes, they worked. It was in the 60's - I was in Qld & my husband was taught everywhere due to his father being in the Army. Only used in primary school not high school of course.
I don't know how long they lasted.

Yes, they worked. It was in the 60's - I was in Qld & my husband was taught everywhere due to his father being in the Army. Only used in primary school not high school of course.
I don't know how long they lasted.
Interesting, I always wondered how they worked.
When I saw a container of them, all I saw were blocks.
Yes, I realised that the smaller ones were broken down into percentages of the long ones, but I wondered how that taught the littlies to count, add up and subtract and multiply and divide.
I think you must be very clever to have learned that way.

Reactions: RTS and Ricci
Interesting, I always wondered how they worked.
When I saw a container of them, all I saw were blocks.
Yes, I realised that the smaller ones were broken down into percentages of the long ones, but I wondered how that taught the littlies to count, add up and subtract and multiply and divide.
I think you must be very clever to have learned that way.
It was when we were little, as we didn't use them in upper primary. Not sure if we were clever, it's just what we learned at the time. :unsure:

Your comment about your son not showing how he worked out the answer to a Math's problem reminded me of my experience with Maths as a child in the UK, I was unfortunate enough to have the same math's teacher for 2 years and she (the teacher) spent most of that 2 years telling me how stupid I was, I could not show my long division math's problems with the correct working out, so even though my answer was correct she always marked my work as being incorrect, with her susual you are so stupid comment. I believed her all of my time at that school and even though I was placed in the highest grades for all other subjects, I would shy away from doing any math's because my brain kept telling me I was too stupid to understand it. Fast forward to adult life and I can work out the correct answer to huge columns of numbers without the aid of a calculator, also I still cannot show the correct way of calculating long division but can still achieve the correct answer. apparently I am not as stupid as that math's teacher kept telling me.

Not just humans​

View attachment 5878

View attachment 5879

What we found​

Why is this important?​

Numbers make my head explode.

The public service exam was heavily weighted with number adding and matching, so my ability with numbers lead to my employment with the APS.
At school I was penalized for not being able to show my working out, as my brain leapt to the answer before I could write down how I got there.

Your comment about your son not showing how he worked out the answer to a Math's problem reminded me of my experience with Maths as a child in the UK, I was unfortunate enough to have the same math's teacher for 2 years and she (the teacher) spent most of that 2 years telling me how stupid I was, I could not show my long division math's problems with the correct working out, so even though my answer was correct she always marked my work as being incorrect, with her susual you are so stupid comment. I believed her all of my time at that school and even though I was placed in the highest grades for all other subjects, I would shy away from doing any math's because my brain kept telling me I was too stupid to understand it. Fast forward to adult life and I can work out the correct answer to huge columns of numbers without the aid of a calculator, also I still cannot show the correct way of calculating long division but can still achieve the correct answer. apparently I am not as stupid as that math's teacher kept telling me.
Oh my, I feel your pain.
When my son was 21, it finally dawned on me that he has some sort of peculiar learning difficulty.
I knew he retained every word he ever heard or read, but couldn't write anything down, including words or numbers.
He agreed to be tested, and I finally found someone at SPELD in Victoria to test him.
It cost me over $1000, but it was worth every cent.
My son has a learning difficulty called
Dysgraphia. In a nut shell, it means he cannot express his thoughts in writing, that's why he couldn't do homework, assignments, maths etc.
He could express himself verbally.
My son told the tester he thought he was stupid. He was asked what happens when you try to write.
He said it feels as if his head is going to explode, like a switch board misfiring with all the sights and sounds associated with something like that.
As he expressed this, he ducked his head and closed his eyes as if he was trying to avoid it in his head.
His IQ is in the very top 1%, he is far from stupid.
Knowing this, he applied for a Bachelor of Biomedical Medical Science at Newcastle University. He chose subjects like Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Statistics etc which did not involve writing. At Uni level, he didn't have to include Maths working out.
In his Honours year, a delightful Professor took a liking to him, and my son explained his inability to write things down.
This Professor was very patient with him, and gave him steps, like a formula, of how to make notes and then create an essay.
My son got first class honours.

He then did Masters in Biomedical Engineering.
Now, I'm in the process of proof-reading his submission for his PhD Thesis.
Yes, he was called stupid so many times he believed he was.
He was labelled lazy, wasteful, head-in-the sand...but did the private educational system bother to find out what the problem was?
Never.
No one is stupid....we all learn differently, we all have our own strengths, we all need encouragement and love to persue our differences to achieve what we are capable of.

Go Gaena, make up for it now so you can pat yourself proudly on the back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci and RTS
It’s only in fairly recent times that educators have understood that there are many different kinds of intelligence, eg you can be great at numeracy but not at literacy, or you can be a beautiful artist but struggle with maths. There are also many different styles of learning: some people learn best by rote, others by watching, or doing, or working things out in their heads.

Oh my, I feel your pain.
When my son was 21, it finally dawned on me that he has some sort of peculiar learning difficulty.
I knew he retained every word he ever heard or read, but couldn't write anything down, including words or numbers.
He agreed to be tested, and I finally found someone at SPELD in Victoria to test him.
It cost me over $1000, but it was worth every cent.
My son has a learning difficulty called
Dysgraphia. In a nut shell, it means he cannot express his thoughts in writing, that's why he couldn't do homework, assignments, maths etc.
He could express himself verbally.
My son told the tester he thought he was stupid. He was asked what happens when you try to write.
He said it feels as if his head is going to explode, like a switch board misfiring with all the sights and sounds associated with something like that.
As he expressed this, he ducked his head and closed his eyes as if he was trying to avoid it in his head.
His IQ is in the very top 1%, he is far from stupid.
Knowing this, he applied for a Bachelor of Biomedical Medical Science at Newcastle University. He chose subjects like Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Statistics etc which did not involve writing. At Uni level, he didn't have to include Maths working out.
In his Honours year, a delightful Professor took a liking to him, and my son explained his inability to write things down.
This Professor was very patient with him, and gave him steps, like a formula, of how to make notes and then create an essay.
My son got first class honours.

He then did Masters in Biomedical Engineering.
Now, I'm in the process of proof-reading his submission for his PhD Thesis.
Yes, he was called stupid so many times he believed he was.
He was labelled lazy, wasteful, head-in-the sand...but did the private educational system bother to find out what the problem was?
Never.
No one is stupid....we all learn differently, we all have our own strengths, we all need encouragement and love to persue our differences to achieve what we are capable of.

Go Gaena, make up for it now so you can pay yourself proudly on the back.
Thank you for your kind words, you have every right to feel proud of your brilliant son! I do not have a problem with writing down or expressing my thoughts as my long answers to posts will show, I think that my problem with math's was solely caused by the teacher that I mentioned, I was only 11/12 years old and very unsure of myself so being repeatedly told that I was stupid made me believe that I must be because I could not do what every other student seemed to be able to do. My so called stupidity did not extend to other subjects and I was repeatedly told how good I was at subjects such as English/Lit and grammar as well as history and geography to name a few. At the time it was thought that I was not good with subjects like math's and science so the emphasis was placed on the other parts of the school ciriculum, although I strangely achieved top marks in Science, along with the other subjects that the school heads thought that I would be good at. Math's as a subject is still something that I shy away from, when attempting to solve a math's problem I can hear that damn teachers voice in my head even now and I have a habit of switching off my brain so that I can excuse myself from trying to solve the problem. At the end of the day what use is the different math's subjects to us in the real world do any of us use Trigg or algerbra on a regular basis, as long as we can add subtract and divide as well as use the odd fraction life is good. thank the universe for the invention of the calculator!!

Reactions: Ricci and JayKay