Could drinking this much coffee each day put you at risk for dementia and Alzheimer's?

We all have daily routines and habits to get us through the day. One such habit that we’re a big fan of here at the SDC is our morning coffee. While many of us stop at one or two cups, some people like to have a few more throughout the day.

While coffee does provide us with energy thanks to its caffeine content, new research has found a potential link between drinking a specific amount of coffee daily and an increased risk of developing dementia and Alzheimer's.

The health benefits of caffeine

Tea and coffee are widely consumed beverages globally and are rich in bioactive plant compounds.

Regular caffeine consumption, found in our beloved cuppas, has been shown to decrease amyloid-β levels (the ‘bad’ plaque that is often associated with dementia) and neuroinflammation while improving cognitive function in animal models.

coffee1.jpg
Regular caffeine consumption has been shown to decrease neuroinflammation. Credit: Jason Villanueva/Pexels

Although some studies have shown that increased tea and coffee intake, in combination or separately, may be correlated to lower dementia risk, others haven't reported this association.

So, a recent study published in the journal Nutrients dived deeper into the potential correlation between the intake of tea and coffee during midlife and the subsequent long-term risk of developing Alzheimer's disease (AD), mild cognitive impairment (MCI), and all-cause dementia.

About the study

The research was conducted across four surveys, the first of which was way back in 1984. Dubbed the HUNT Study, the research focused on people aged 70 years or above, whether living in the community or long-term care facilities.

Participants were recruited from HUNT2 (between 1995 and 1997) and later participated in the HUNT4 70+ (70 years and over) study between 2017 and 2019.

coffee2.jpg
The HUNT Study utilised four surveys. Credit: Chevanon Photography/Pexels

To evaluate tea and coffee consumption, participants were instructed to record their daily intake of tea and different coffee types.

The primary study outcome was the subjects’ cognitive status at HUNT4, which was evaluated after 22 years.

The analysis involved several models, adjusting for various factors such as sex, age, marital status, educational attainment, smoking, alcohol consumption, physical activity, tea and coffee consumption, body mass index (BMI), history of cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.

So, what did the study find?

After analysing 7,381 individuals, the study results indicated that a daily intake of eight or more cups of coffee was associated with a higher risk of developing dementia compared to those who consumed zero to one cup of coffee daily.

However, this link weakened after accounting for confounding factors.

Surprisingly, no significant links were discovered between general coffee intake and the risk of dementia, nor was there any relationship between tea intake and dementia risk.

But here's the crucial part – daily intake of at least six cups of boiled coffee was found to be connected with an increased risk of dementia compared to those who consumed zero to one cup of boiled coffee every day.

However, this association between boiled coffee intake and dementia was not present after adjusting for other coffee types.

A more detailed look into the results revealed that consuming four to seven cups of boiled coffee daily was associated with a higher risk of MCI (mild cognitive impairment), and consuming more than six cups of boiled coffee each day led to an increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease.

So, what does this mean?

It’s essential to note that further research is needed to determine the potential correlation between coffee consumption, dementia risk, coffee type, gender, and ApoE4 (a relatively common gene implicated in an increased risk of dementia) carrier status.

However, based on these study findings, it might be a good idea for everyone to be mindful of their coffee intake – especially if you're consuming six or more cups daily.

Of course, it's always best to consult with your healthcare professional before making any significant changes to your diet or lifestyle, especially when it comes to your cognitive health as you age.

Ultimately, enjoying our morning coffee and the occasional afternoon pick-me-up is a cherished routine for many of us. By staying informed, making small adjustments when necessary, and maintaining a balanced diet, we can continue to enjoy our favourite beverages without compromising our cognitive health.
Key Takeaways
  • Drinking six or more cups of boiled coffee daily has been linked to a higher risk of dementia and Alzheimer's disease.
  • No significant links were discovered between general coffee intake or tea intake and the risk of dementia.
  • Consuming four to seven cups of boiled coffee daily was associated with a higher risk of mild cognitive impairment (MCI).
  • Further research is needed to determine the potential correlation between coffee consumption, dementia risk, coffee type, gender, and ApoE4 carrier status.
How many cups of coffee do you drink a day? Or are you more of a tea drinker? Share your thoughts about this study in the comments below!

• Angry
Reactions: Liag and Tipsy
Sponsored
We all have daily routines and habits to get us through the day. One such habit that we’re a big fan of here at the SDC is our morning coffee. While many of us stop at one or two cups, some people like to have a few more throughout the day.

While coffee does provide us with energy thanks to its caffeine content, new research has found a potential link between drinking a specific amount of coffee daily and an increased risk of developing dementia and Alzheimer's.

Tea and coffee are widely consumed beverages globally and are rich in bioactive plant compounds.

Regular caffeine consumption, found in our beloved cuppas, has been shown to decrease amyloid-β levels (the ‘bad’ plaque that is often associated with dementia) and neuroinflammation while improving cognitive function in animal models.

View attachment 21322
Regular caffeine consumption has been shown to decrease neuroinflammation. Credit: Jason Villanueva/Pexels

Although some studies have shown that increased tea and coffee intake, in combination or separately, may be correlated to lower dementia risk, others haven't reported this association.

So, a recent study published in the journal Nutrients dived deeper into the potential correlation between the intake of tea and coffee during midlife and the subsequent long-term risk of developing Alzheimer's disease (AD), mild cognitive impairment (MCI), and all-cause dementia.

About the study

The research was conducted across four surveys, the first of which was way back in 1984. Dubbed the HUNT Study, the research focused on people aged 70 years or above, whether living in the community or long-term care facilities.

Participants were recruited from HUNT2 (between 1995 and 1997) and later participated in the HUNT4 70+ (70 years and over) study between 2017 and 2019.

View attachment 21323

To evaluate tea and coffee consumption, participants were instructed to record their daily intake of tea and different coffee types.

The primary study outcome was the subjects’ cognitive status at HUNT4, which was evaluated after 22 years.

The analysis involved several models, adjusting for various factors such as sex, age, marital status, educational attainment, smoking, alcohol consumption, physical activity, tea and coffee consumption, body mass index (BMI), history of cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.

After analysing 7,381 individuals, the study results indicated that a daily intake of eight or more cups of coffee was associated with a higher risk of developing dementia compared to those who consumed zero to one cup of coffee daily.

Surprisingly, no significant links were discovered between general coffee intake and the risk of dementia, nor was there any relationship between tea intake and dementia risk.

But here's the crucial part – daily intake of at least six cups of boiled coffee was found to be connected with an increased risk of dementia compared to those who consumed zero to one cup of boiled coffee every day.

However, this association between boiled coffee intake and dementia was not present after adjusting for other coffee types.

A more detailed look into the results revealed that consuming four to seven cups of boiled coffee daily was associated with a higher risk of MCI (mild cognitive impairment), and consuming more than six cups of boiled coffee each day led to an increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease.

So, what does this mean?

It’s essential to note that further research is needed to determine the potential correlation between coffee consumption, dementia risk, coffee type, gender, and ApoE4 (a relatively common gene implicated in an increased risk of dementia) carrier status.

However, based on these study findings, it might be a good idea for everyone to be mindful of their coffee intake – especially if you're consuming six or more cups daily.

Of course, it's always best to consult with your healthcare professional before making any significant changes to your diet or lifestyle, especially when it comes to your cognitive health as you age.

Ultimately, enjoying our morning coffee and the occasional afternoon pick-me-up is a cherished routine for many of us. By staying informed, making small adjustments when necessary, and maintaining a balanced diet, we can continue to enjoy our favourite beverages without compromising our cognitive health.
Key Takeaways

• Drinking six or more cups of boiled coffee daily has been linked to a higher risk of dementia and Alzheimer's disease.
  • No significant links were discovered between general coffee intake or tea intake and the risk of dementia.
  • Consuming four to seven cups of boiled coffee daily was associated with a higher risk of mild cognitive impairment (MCI).
  • Further research is needed to determine the potential correlation between coffee consumption, dementia risk, coffee type, gender, and ApoE4 carrier status.
How many cups of coffee do you drink a day? Or are you more of a tea drinker? Share your thoughts about this study in the comments below!
If you are having to drink 4 or more cups daily I would say you have a mild addiction. As they say, everything in moderation is the key to a healthier body😉

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM and 52KID
I note that no allowance appears to have been made for the strength of the coffee. I generally have about 6 cups of coffee a day, but my 6 cups would equal 2 cups in strength for other people. I don't feel that it's an addiction in that I only like to drink either coffee or water - I'll have occassional soft drink but that's all. Also I'm assuming that "boiled" coffee is what's made in the stove top coffee makers?

For as long as I can remember I have drank 4 cups of strong, black coffee, no sugar each day
Coffee has no effect on my ability to sleep at night.
All my family are coffee drinkers

Reactions: 52KID
Well, I am definitely eclectic in my choice of brews.
Breakfast means cup of tea with milk. Lunch water or zero soda. Afternoon tea, cup of Nespresso coffee, or, in winter, hot chocolate. Supper, herbal tea..hubby has peppermint, I have camomile, or spearmint.
When I go out with sis for a catch up, it's usually a skinny cappuccino and a "devil made me do it"treat.
I think I have all bases covered.

I wished they would make their mind up , it was only a few weeks ago they were saying coffee each day was good for you.

I have two cups every morning and maybe one or two throughout the day. Coffee actually helps me sleep

I wished they would make their mind up , it was only a few weeks ago they were saying coffee each day was good for you.

I have two cups every morning and maybe one or two throughout the day. Coffee actually helps me sleep
Don't fret. I read recently that scientists are hopeful they have already found a cure for dementia. Regardless, wait 24hrs, turn around clockwise 7times, and the advice will have changed.

People also ask

Is Boiled Coffee good for you?

In the study, even those who had high blood pressure and boiled their coffee had improved endothelial function. Boiled coffee has moderate caffeine and is rich in polyphenols and antioxidants.30 July 2020

Anyway WHAT IS BOILED COFFEE? Who boils their coffee??????

What's the difference? Boiled coffee has roasted coffee beans grinded in to powder and mixed into boiling water, while filter coffee can have fresh ground coffee beans put in the machine, over which hot water is poured, and the coffee is passed through a filter leaving only the fresh brew.22 Nov

View attachment 21322

About the study

View attachment 21323

So, what does this mean?

Key Takeaways

I think that this is another one of those studies that gets the exact answer that was either asked for or paid for.... When I smoked and drank quite a few years back I also drank and average of 20 mugs of coffee a day and at 73 I still have no signs of Alzheimer's or Dementia..... So I say its another croc of shit