Government unveils bold plan to slash energy bills

In a move that's sure to spark conversation, the Albanese government has unveiled a 'future gas strategy' aimed at keeping the home fires burning without burning a hole in your wallet.

As we all know, energy costs can be a significant concern, especially for those who are often on a fixed income.

The plan, which has already caused controversy, is designed to shore up the gas supply and make it more affordable for millions of Australians.

The strategy outlines Labor's support for new gas projects, including the development of new gas fields and import terminals.

The goal is to ensure that as Australia strides towards a net-zero future, we don't find ourselves in the dark or out in the cold due to power shortages or unaffordable bills.

shutterstock_573975487.jpg
The government released its ‘future gas strategy’. Image source: Shutterstock

Resources Minister Madeline King has been vocal about the necessity of this strategy, stating that there are 'uses for gas we can't substitute' just yet.

She explained: ‘We hope to (find a substitute for gas), but we don’t know when that will be possible. In the meantime, we can’t have wishful thinking without backup.’

‘The five million households across the country that rely on gas for their heating and energy while we transition to electrification, that gas needs to be affordable, and to be affordable you need reliable supply,’ she added.

As Minister King pointed out, the difficulty is predicting exactly how much gas will be needed to meet Australia's energy needs over the next two to three decades. However, what's clear is that gas will still play a role, particularly in industries that are hard to electrify.

The 'future gas strategy' is not just about keeping the lights on; it's also about supporting the economic transition to net-zero emissions and bolstering industries that are part of Labor's 'Made in Australia' agenda.

To address potential shortages, the strategy suggests that Australia could tap into new gas fields such as Scarborough off the Western Australian coast and Narrabri in northern New South Wales.

But it's not all about drilling and digging. The government is aware of the environmental concerns and the backlash from the Greens, teal independents, and even some within Labor's own ranks.

To mitigate these concerns, the strategy includes measures to reduce emissions from gas production. This includes promoting carbon capture and storage technologies and minimising methane release during extraction.

Furthermore, the strategy aims to prevent companies from hoarding untapped resources, encouraging them to increase gas extraction responsibly.

This is a critical point, as it's not just about finding more gas, but also about using what we have efficiently and effectively.

Before the ink is even dry on the strategy, it has been met with criticism from environmental groups.

NSW Senator David Shoebridge has called the decision to push for new gas mines 'criminal’, citing the urgent need to address climate change.

The debate over gas and its role in our energy mix is complex, and there are no easy answers.

However, it's crucial that we stay informed and engaged in these discussions, as the decisions made today will shape the world we leave behind for our children and grandchildren.

The gas strategy was briefly discussed in this video:

Source: ABC News (Australia)/YouTube​

Key Takeaways
  • The government is set to reveal its 'future gas strategy' aimed at bolstering support for new gas fields and import terminals to ensure affordable energy supply.
  • The plan is in response to predictions of potential gas shortages within four years if Australia's supply isn't reinforced.
  • The strategy is part of the economic transition to net-zero emissions and includes measures to reduce emissions from gas production.
  • The announcement has already led to backlash from environmental groups and political parties like the Greens, who argued it contradicts efforts to reduce climate impact.
We'd love to hear your thoughts on this new strategy. How do you think this will affect your energy bills and your comfort at home? Share your opinions in the comments below!

• Angry
Reactions: Liag, Petra and BJM
Sponsored
I don't really think these politicians have any idea what they are doing.
I'm sure I read sometime ago that Victoria was trying to cut gas out completely, disallowing gas for new homes and offering subsidies to switch from gas.
????
All new building contracts signed since 1/1/24 are not allowed to include gas fixtures in Victoria. I suppose we are saving what’s left for the rest of Australia.

I don't really think these politicians have any idea what they are doing.
I'm sure I read sometime ago that Victoria was trying to cut gas out completely, disallowing gas for new homes and offering subsidies to switch from gas.
????
yes I agree I seem to remember no new properties were to be built with GAS cooking they had to be all electric - I'm not sure if that was just for units or across the board

If anyone really believes this, you live in LALA land. Just like anybody that believes anything that the current useless and inept government says also live in lala land.
No, this government is not useless and inept. It merely reflects the Tory nature of the Australian electorate which will no doubt return the brainless and spiteful LNP at the next General Election.

Given Anthropogenic Global Heating is well on the way and most Australians don't give a damn but continue to commute en masse in bigger heavier gas guzzlers than before to sit around in traffic jams on the way to work and think that privatising power supply is sensible............

WHAT THEY GIVE WITH ONE HAND THEY TAKE AWAY WITH THE OTHER. This jus in from Superannuation.
The Goods and Services Tax (GST) payable on fees you pay to your adviser from your account is changing.
What’s happening?

We’ve been claiming a partial credit from the ATO on your behalf for the GST charged on adviser service fees. This has been applied to your account as a reduced fee.

Going forward, the ATO has advised we can no longer claim this credit on our members’ behalf and the full amount of GST will be charged on all adviser service fees from June 2024.

Ah well, the Taxpayer via government is once more subsidising companies that extract CO2-producing resources against all advice of an international community of scientists who know what they are talking about, even though the majority of taxpayers either don't, or don't give a damn about Anthropogenic Global Heating. There is no excuse for wilful ignorance.

• Haha
Reactions: I'm Mal
WHAT THEY GIVE WITH ONE HAND THEY TAKE AWAY WITH THE OTHER. This jus in from Superannuation.
The Goods and Services Tax (GST) payable on fees you pay to your adviser from your account is changing.
What’s happening?

We’ve been claiming a partial credit from the ATO on your behalf for the GST charged on adviser service fees. This has been applied to your account as a reduced fee.

Going forward, the ATO has advised we can no longer claim this credit on our members’ behalf and the full amount of GST will be charged on all adviser service fees from June 2024.
The price of the LNP's tax cuts taken on board by a Labour government; somebody's got to pay for the $750 000 000 AFL stadium in Tasmania and it ain't the AFL .

• Haha
Reactions: I'm Mal
Funny how this inept bunch of fools that pretends to be in government created the cost of living crisis, created power shortages, set unrealistic targets that they called net zero, exacerbated homelessness and numerous other displays of incompetency. Now they are trying to look like saviors, trying to make us think they have solved problems and being generous. Not buying any of it. There is no climate crisis, no need to stop using coal, no such thing as green energy. Coal, gas and oil are renewable sources of fuel. CO2 is a trace gas essential to life but levels are much lower than they should be. We need to produce more CO2 for the sake of plant life and food production. The clowns in the left wing are what is threatening our existence. They are what we need to save the planet from.

Reactions: IAN3005
No, this government is not useless and inept. It merely reflects the Tory nature of the Australian electorate which will no doubt return the brainless and spiteful LNP at the next General Election.

Given Anthropogenic Global Heating is well on the way and most Australians don't give a damn but continue to commute en masse in bigger heavier gas guzzlers than before to sit around in traffic jams on the way to work and think that privatising power supply is sensible............
You really believe this government is not useless and inept? Oh that is so precious. Anthropogenic global heating? ROTFLMAO

Once upon a time, we used to have the cheapest gas on the planet, then the ALP got in in Victoria (Dan Andrews) who stopped gas supplies in Victoria. Then it all turned to S%^T around the country apart from WA. It is now cheaper to import our exported gas from Japan, yes you read correctly, it is cheaper to buy OUR exported gas by importing it from Japan even while adding the transport costs than what we (unless you are in WA) pay. I will not trust the ALP/Greens/Teals any time they open their mouths. They don't care about you or me, just themselves.