Coles customers find peace and quiet with this self-serve checkout button hiding in plain sight

In a world constantly bombarded by noise, from the beep of a microwave to the ping of a smartphone notification, finding a moment of silence can be a rare treasure.

This is especially true for our over-60s community, who often appreciate a quieter shopping experience.

So, when a social media user shared a simple trick to mute the ‘condescending’ voice of the self-serve checkout at Coles, it was music to the ears of many.

The discussion began innocuously enough, with a conversation about anti-theft measures at supermarkets.

However, it quickly turned into a revelation that had social media users abuzz.

‘That voice coming from the computer is a nag. I mute it immediately,’ the original poster declared.

image (32).png
A Coles customer shared a trick to silence the self-serve checkout voice by tapping the screen's volume button. Credits: Facebook

The statement quickly caught the attention of some, eager to learn how it's done.

‘Wait, you can mute it? How do you perform this miracle?’ one user asked, echoing the thoughts of many who had endured the repetitive instructions and prompts without realizing there was an escape.

‘You can do that? I’ve never looked to see if that’s an option,’ another shared.

The answer, it turns out, is disarmingly simple.

Many Coles self-serve registers come equipped with a volume button, often overlooked, that sits quietly at the bottom of the screen.

With a quick tap, shoppers can silence the machine, turning their shopping experience into a tranquil affair.

The original poster explained, ‘I happened to notice it, and I tried,’ sharing their accidental discovery.

The self-serve checkout voice, often perceived as ‘condescending’, can now be easily turned off, much to the delight of shoppers seeking a more serene checkout process.

The reaction online was overwhelmingly positive.

‘What a great tip, thanks so much. Man, I hate that voice!’ one user exclaimed.

Others expressed their gratitude more colourfully, and some even shared their own playful interactions with the now-muted machines.

‘“Ma’am, lower your tone!” I say, every time, as I lower the volume to zero,’ one commenter shared, adding a touch of humour to the tip.

As Coles shoppers share their ingenious hack to mute the self-serve checkout voice, social media erupts with excitement over the newfound convenience.

However, not all experiences at Coles are smooth sailing, as evidenced by a recent incident where a cash-paying customer faced an outrageously long checkout delay, sparking frustration and anger.
Key Takeaways
  • A Coles customer revealed a trick for silencing the self-serve checkout voice by tapping the volume button on the screen.
  • The shopper shared this tip on social media during a discussion on anti-theft measures at supermarkets.
  • The tip for muting the checkout voice was met with enthusiasm and gratitude on social media.
  • The voice of the self-serve checkout is considered by some to be ‘condescending’, and the mute function is seen as a relief.
Have you tried this checkout hack at Coles, or do you have any other tips for a smoother shopping experience? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
unless you were wanting to steal why would you need to do this?? seriously in case most people didn't know they usually have a quiet time between 9am and 10 am...I suggest if they are upset by the self serve register go to a person controlled one or shop online...over these 'poor hard done by people' who cannot live life without complaining!

unless you were wanting to steal why would you need to do this?? seriously in case most people didn't know they usually have a quiet time between 9am and 10 am...I suggest if they are upset by the self serve register go to a person controlled one or shop online...over these 'poor hard done by people' who cannot live life without complaining!
I agree Lisa. Meanwhile there are wars in Ukraine and the Middle East, yet people are whinging and moaning about utter rubbish like self serve check outs!

I agree Lisa. Meanwhile there are wars in Ukraine and the Middle East, yet people are whinging and moaning about utter rubbish like self serve check outs!
Better to focus on issues in Australia such as rampant homelessness and out of control knife crime.

The Ukraine and Israel/Hamas conflicts have no direct bearing on this country. Only the dopehat protestors who, in the main, have no direct affiliation with such conflicts.

Reactions: gordon1940
Better to focus on issues in Australia such as rampant homelessness and out of control knife crime.

The Ukraine and Israel/Hamas conflicts have no direct bearing on this country. Only the dopehat protestors who, in the main, have no direct affiliation with such conflicts.
You completely miss the point of what I mean!

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
If we don't complain we'll continue to accept all the controls that are put on us. It's become more and more obvious that we're a compliant population. Why do we accept to do our own checkouts for nothing so that the supermarkets don't have to pay anyone? To help the supermarkets to make more money at the expense of those amongst us who could be employed? Then it's AI, and then it goes on ... and on ...

do not and will not use the idiot self serve system, so a computer generated voice does not affect me,

Easier to shop at Woolies. No voice (but they do call the assistant when you have other shopping in your trolly, but they all do).