Coles shopper shames single mum after she paid for his groceries – the internet is furious

We previously reported about the case of one man who was 'traumatised' after being a subject of a random generous act that went viral online.

In the story, the man said that he values his privacy so much that it upset him when he found out that a video of him having his groceries paid for by someone else was circulating.

While acts like this have no ill intention, they can sometimes be dehumanising for the subjects.

So, why is this Coles shopper facing backlash after he complained about 'feeling embarrassed' by one single mum's random act of kindness?

Sharing his dilemma on Facebook, the man detailed how one woman paid for his groceries at a Coles checkout in NSW.

'I’m dead set over this pay it forward rubbish,' the customer wrote.

'So I was at Coles Woy Woy this morning when a single mum with a pram went to pay for my coffee, milk, banana and frozen chips.'

'Just stop, I was embarrassed and can afford my own groceries.'

'If you want to help, go donate to a charity please stop embarrassing me at the checkout, rant over.'

OdgbCSCisGM5wNrG2fuC80_HQTd2CHU0Pks51wOJeKXiwgTKjpbe8scCjFLYTD3ZMNZlPgLiyhozgY3Pmd-5IJ0iYYU-LJaWhRJ3UmBhBLgpM3AQH69tlxkAJCNEMYmi9JWRjtuIDTdik_EvR8qAow

The shopper said that he was upset when the woman thought of him as someone in need. Credit: 7News via Getty Images.

The man's controversial stance has sparked a huge backlash, attracting hundreds of social media users who labelled him as 'ungrateful' and called him out for his 'harsh' words.

One user wrote: 'Wow, what a beautiful lady and a lovely gesture. What a shame it was wasted on yourself.'

'I could afford my own fuel too, but one day a lovely old man paid for mine and his. And you know what? I was very thankful and paid it forward a few days later. I’m also a single mum and helped someone,' another shared.

A third chimed in: 'I think anyone that does anything nice these days gets a big smile and virtual hug from me - kindness is catching.'

Some users said that they were inspired by the lady to 'pay it forward’ because some people need help, not just in finances but also in their manners.

One comment read: 'She has definitely inspired me to do something lovely and kind for someone today #keeppayingitforward.'

Others said that the woman was unfortunate to have picked the wrong person to help that day.

One person said: 'She picked the wrong person that day but next time it might be that person that’s really in need and very grateful.'

'Wonder how it was for that lady to get up the courage to offer you the kindness and you slapped her in the face,' another wrote.

‘You should feel ashamed. If you felt embarrassed ask yourself why. That’s your problem, no one else’s.'

Meanwhile, several users understood the man's point of view, saying that it is insulting if other people randomly assume that you're financially in need.

'You would be a bit miffed wouldn’t you ... If you were merrily doing your own thing and you realised people thought you were homeless or something,' argued one person.

We believe that helping others in need is an important value to have. However, we also believe in the value of consent, so we understand where the concerns of those who received the generous acts are coming from.

What do you think? Should people be allowed to perform such acts of kindness without consent? Let us know in the comments section below!

Sponsored
There has been a number of stories on this over the past few weeks and I have given it a lot of thought

I think yes it could embarrass someone by randomly paying for their groceries.

It would be different if someone's card wasn't working or they found they left their card at home

My mother did her shopping one day last year . She lives in Tarree , she was at the checkout at woollies when her card would not work and a lady came over and said it's ok use my card.

Mum got the ladies phone number so she could pay her back , the lady said let me help you to your car. When she saw that mum was getting a taxi , she drove her home and wouldn't except the $120 , she told mum to buy something nice for herself.

This lady did everything with discretion.

I did say to my mother , what about stranger danger , you got into a car with a stranger , she replied at 75 you recognise danger.
Mum is only 14 years older than me

What a lovely gesture from a very nice lady, you have enough money to pay for your own groceries that's great, just accept with good grace and in the manner the gesture was intended and perhaps do something nice for another person instead of complaining, if you feel embarrassed that your problem not hers.

We previously reported about the case of one man who was 'traumatised' after being a subject of a random generous act that went viral online.

In the story, the man said that he values his privacy so much that it upset him when he found out that a video of him having his groceries paid for by someone else was circulating.

While acts like this have no ill intention, they can sometimes be dehumanising for the subjects.

So, why is this Coles shopper facing backlash after he complained about 'feeling embarrassed' by one single mum's random act of kindness?

Sharing his dilemma on Facebook, the man detailed how one woman paid for his groceries at a Coles checkout in NSW.

'So I was at Coles Woy Woy this morning when a single mum with a pram went to pay for my coffee, milk, banana and frozen chips.'

'If you want to help, go donate to a charity please stop embarrassing me at the checkout, rant over.'

OdgbCSCisGM5wNrG2fuC80_HQTd2CHU0Pks51wOJeKXiwgTKjpbe8scCjFLYTD3ZMNZlPgLiyhozgY3Pmd-5IJ0iYYU-LJaWhRJ3UmBhBLgpM3AQH69tlxkAJCNEMYmi9JWRjtuIDTdik_EvR8qAow

The shopper said that he was upset when the woman thought of him as someone in need. Credit: 7News via Getty Images.

The man's controversial stance has sparked a huge backlash, attracting hundreds of social media users who labelled him as 'ungrateful' and called him out for his 'harsh' words.

One user wrote: 'Wow, what a beautiful lady and a lovely gesture. What a shame it was wasted on yourself.'

'I could afford my own fuel too, but one day a lovely old man paid for mine and his. And you know what? I was very thankful and paid it forward a few days later. I’m also a single mum and helped someone,' another shared.

A third chimed in: 'I think anyone that does anything nice these days gets a big smile and virtual hug from me - kindness is catching.'

Some users said that they were inspired by the lady to 'pay it forward’ because some people need help, not just in finances but also in their manners.

One comment read: 'She has definitely inspired me to do something lovely and kind for someone today #keeppayingitforward.'

Others said that the woman was unfortunate to have picked the wrong person to help that day.

One person said: 'She picked the wrong person that day but next time it might be that person that’s really in need and very grateful.'

'Wonder how it was for that lady to get up the courage to offer you the kindness and you slapped her in the face,' another wrote.

‘You should feel ashamed. If you felt embarrassed ask yourself why. That’s your problem, no one else’s.'

Meanwhile, several users understood the man's point of view, saying that it is insulting if other people randomly assume that you're financially in need.

'You would be a bit miffed wouldn’t you ... If you were merrily doing your own thing and you realised people thought you were homeless or something,' argued one person.

We believe that helping others in need is an important value to have. However, we also believe in the value of consent, so we understand where the concerns of those who received the generous acts are coming from.

What do you think? Should people be allowed to perform such acts of kindness without consent? Let us know in the comments section below!
Maybe just asking the person quietly first if they would mind if you paid their bill would save a lot of issues.

It has nothing to do with if you need it or not it’s just an act of random kindness. There is not of ’being nice’ out there, but plenty of being angry about simple things. Just because you don’t want to be nice you can accept something done for you graciously. It isn’t a comment on you, obviously!

It has nothing to do with if you need it or not it’s just an act of random kindness. There is not of ’being nice’ out there, but plenty of being angry about simple things. Just because you don’t want to be nice you can accept something done for you graciously. It isn’t a comment on you, obviously!
I think the problem is at the moment alot of people are paying for people's stuff and filming it and putting up on line.

It's a tricky one.

If they are genuine then do it discreetly

When and why did doing something nice for somebody get so hard? I think the world could do with a whole lot more niceness and a lot less antagonism. Random acts of kindness go a long way to brighten the day and can even be a lifesaver. I know that when something nice was done for me it reduced me to tears, not out of anything other than gratitude, someone had noticed me and touched my life. It was at a low point but I walked the rest of the day with my head held high and a smile on my face.:)

What sort of world would we be living in if we needed consent to show kindnes

I think the problem is at the moment alot of people are paying for people's stuff and filming it and putting up on line.

It's a tricky one.

It's not the paying that is the problem, it's the public display! Hey look at me I'm doing something nice for someone but I want publicity! It's self promotional not charitable... make your random acts of kindness anonymous.

she should have made sure he didn't have the money on himself before helping him he should have been more greatful than he was a woman helped me out when i was shopping at my woolies i was so surprised i started to cry nobody has never done that for me before i paid back 25.00 twice to woolies with a gift card to help somebody out margie

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

It's a tricky one.

Sad but I agree that this random act of kindness was not as random as it seems but just another way of getting 5 minutes of fame by filming it and posting it on line, a real random act is spontaneous not carefully staged managed, was the recipient asked if he consented to having his face plastered all over social media? I would call it an invasion of privacy, not an act of kindness

There has been a number of stories on this over the past few weeks and I have given it a lot of thought

I think yes it could embarrass someone by randomly paying for their groceries.

It would be different if someone's card wasn't working or they found they left their card at home

My mother did her shopping one day last year . She lives in Tarree , she was at the checkout at woollies when her card would not work and a lady came over and said it's ok use my card.

Mum got the ladies phone number so she could pay her back , the lady said let me help you to your car. When she saw that mum was getting a taxi , she drove her home and wouldn't except the $120 , she told mum to buy something nice for herself.

This lady did everything with discretion.

I did say to my mother , what about stranger danger , you got into a car with a stranger , she replied at 75 you recognise danger.
Mum is only 14 years older than me

Reactions: Ricci
Videoing and posting these acts of kindness is manipulative, self serving and really ticks me off. It's not about helping another human. It's ALL about the poster getting more likes online...making money from the video online...and having a bigger following.

When the acts of kindness are not filmed and not posted online, they are genuine and should be remembered by the recipient.

If someone videoed me and posted me getting their handout online without my permission, yeah I'd be ticked off as well.

I have no problem with paying forward but I do have a big problem with those that splash it all over social media that they have done so that to me takes away the generosity of the act. An act of kindness should not expect a thank you or some reward and should be made with a certain amount anonymity.

Reactions: Ricci and Gaena

Why do people immediately assume the random act of kindness is because the payer thinks they are needy? It has nothing to do with whether they are needy or not, although it would be nice to help someone out. It is a RANDOM act of kindness. I have done this at coffee shops but I don't point out who is to receive it, I just pay for an extra cup and leave it up to the coffee shop owner. It's just a really nice thing to do and believe me you often have to work up the courage to ask the shopkeeper to pass it on, some don't understand or think you are crazy but most do it in the spirit it was meant. Be grateful, people, you might just appreciate the gesture and feel inspired to pay it forward and then two people will be happy for the day :)

Why didn't she just ask if he needed help instead of assuming he was maybe a destitute homeless person. I would find that extremely offensive. Bet she couldn't wait to put it online which means she was doing it for the wrong reasons.

• Sad
Perhaps there should have been some communication before the kind act was done for this gent.

Was there any proof that this was just a selfish act on her part to gain publicity by posting on a website?

Reminds me of the 'Good Samaritan' in the scriptures who did a good turn without expecting anything in return.

That's a "tuff" " one. I understand both sides. It would be unkind to berate the reciever because he was embarrassed and as for the giver, with such a kind heart I'm sure she would understand his reaction and continue to be kind. 🌹

Seriously ?! Random acts of kindness people , that’s it. It’s not about whether you can afford it or not .
This woman might needed to do this for herself and not such an ungrateful person such as you .
So , is there a kind trait in you, if there was you would appreciate such a beautiful gesture .